AMD CPUs and Guild Wars 2

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Moz.8264

Moz.8264

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

As you can see the Intel Pentium Dual Core does better than AMD’s FX-8000 in this game. We all know the bulldozer series didn’t meet expectations but come on; this is just ridiculous. It seems the only way to get decent frames in this game on a bulldozer CPU is overclock it like mad.

From personal experience, I wouldn’t even bother playing with a Phenom II unless you like playing at sub ~30 fps with overclocking. WvW? That’s a whole different story…

Attachments:

Posted by: Glow.4159

Glow.4159

It’s no surprise. Per core performance on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is miles ahead of per core performance on AMD chips. Since games are usually only dual threaded, obviously Intel’s superior core performance is going to make i3 chips beat out anything offered by AMD.

Moz.8264

It’s no surprise. Per core performance on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is miles ahead of per core performance on AMD chips. Since games are usually only dual threaded, obviously Intel’s superior core performance is going to make i3 chips beat out anything offered by AMD.

Have no problems in other games, only have problems on this game. Does not compute.

Attachments:

Posted by: djaswal.4206

djaswal.4206

I run this on a i7 2600k, when I have it at stock I get lags at rare times but OC at 4.0ghz makes the game happy.

Posted by: muslumgurseks.4951

muslumgurseks.4951

Well almost all of the FX processors are Black Edition with unlocked multiplier… So why bother buying one if you are not going to overclock it^_^ when you O/C they perform quite well for what they worth tho

X99 Deluxe / i7 5820k @4.5 /980ti KPE @1550/ Rog Swift / 16gb DDR4 /Custom Loop

Moz.8264

Well almost all of the FX processors are Black Edition with unlocked multiplier… So why bother buying one if you are not going to overclock it^_^ when you O/C they perform quite well for what they worth tho

I also mention this game almost unplayable on Phenom II’s.

Glow.4159

You’re linking a synthetic non gaming benchmark that utilizes all cores. As said previously, games don’t utilize all cores, and per core performance is much more important.

Here’s a much more detailed compilations of benchmarks showing Intel massive lead:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=434

Note CPU bound games such as WoW and SC2 performing almost 100% higher on Ivy Bridge compared to the FX-8150.

Moz.8264

You’re linking a synthetic non gaming benchmark that utilizes all cores. As said previously, games don’t utilize all cores, and per core performance is much more important.

Here’s a much more detailed compilations of benchmarks showing Intel massive lead:

Note CPU bound games such as WoW and SC2 performing almost 100% higher on Ivy Bridge compared to the FX-8150.

You forget to mention WoW and SC2 are also known for being poorly optimized too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah1RjWG9Z05cdDlnUk5VTHJfWFhKSlBvejlLT2doN0E&hl=en_US#gid=0

Posted by: mazzizo.8602

mazzizo.8602

Phenom II x4 965 here. No issues. Well, occasional lag, but nothing near “unplayable”.

Moz.8264

Phenom II x4 965 here. No issues. Well, occasional lag, but nothing near “unplayable”.

How’s WvW?

Posted by: mazzizo.8602

mazzizo.8602

Don’t touch the stuff. Not because of performance, just personal preference.

Posted by: nino.4160

nino.4160

No it’s not… I’ve got AMD Phenom II x6 1055T which is not overclocked.
I get around 50-60 FPS all the time with almost everything maxed at 1920×1200 resolution.
EDIT:
50-60 FPS in PvE
30 FPS minimum in w3

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
nVidia GTX 550Ti
8 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz

(edited by nino.4160)

Glow.4159

You forget to mention WoW and SC2 are also known for being poorly optimized too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah1RjWG9Z05cdDlnUk5VTHJfWFhKSlBvejlLT2doN0E&hl=en_US#gid=0

Just because the MMO and RTS genre are almost entirely CPU bound doesn’t mean they’re poorly optimized.

You’re again linking synthetic benchmarks. In that entire spreadsheet you link 2 games. One of which is Crysis 2. Crysis 2 is almost purely GPU bound in the same way that BF3 is. In the other game however, you can clearly see that it’s beaten by a mile.

If you’d like to fool yourself into thinking AMD is currently viable, go ahead. But please don’t go ahead misinforming others with false information.

Posted by: muslumgurseks.4951

muslumgurseks.4951

And whose fault would that be?

X99 Deluxe / i7 5820k @4.5 /980ti KPE @1550/ Rog Swift / 16gb DDR4 /Custom Loop

Posted by: Jay wilson.1702

Jay wilson.1702

it also makes your comp while playing this game shut off evry 15 mins!

Moz.8264

Just because the MMO and RTS genre are almost entirely CPU bound doesn’t mean they’re poorly optimized.

You’re again linking synthetic benchmarks. In that entire spreadsheet you link 2 games. One of which is Crysis 2. Crysis 2 is almost purely GPU bound in the same way that BF3 is. In the other game however, you can clearly see that it’s beaten by a mile.

If you’d like to fool yourself into thinking AMD is currently viable, go ahead. But please don’t go ahead misinforming others with false information.

Despite me playing various mmos between wow, rift and aion, I’ve only had problems with this game. Yeah I’m misinforming people by telling them how bad this game is optimized. I guarantee none of the devs are running AMD cpus and are only fixing performance problems for Intel users to save time and money.

Now kindly show me a benchmark were Pentium Dualcores outperform FX 8000’s.

Moz.8264

No it’s not… I’ve got AMD Phenom II x6 1055T which is not overclocked.
I get around 50-60 FPS all the time with almost everything maxed at 1920×1200 resolution.
EDIT:
50-60 FPS in PvE
30 FPS minimum in w3

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T
nVidia GTX 550Ti
8 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz

Older Phenom II’s

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

It’s pretty playable on my Phenom II X4 910 with two Radeon HD 5570s (note: I really mean 5570s, not 5770s). I don’t have everything maxed out, but with moderate video settings, I get at least 40-50 fps.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Moz.8264

it also makes your comp while playing this game shut off evry 15 mins!

It’s over heating or dusty bro.

Posted by: Jay wilson.1702

Jay wilson.1702

or.. what if just cleaned it and it was not overheating!!! and it shuts off same thing happened in diablo 3 until they fixed it anyeway i think it killed my grapics cad

Posted by: alphacentari.7692

alphacentari.7692

The only place i seem to have bad frames is large WvW battles a bit disappointing but well see how it goes after the patches and fixes are done.

Attachments:

Fort Aspenwood -RET

Posted by: majestic.8129

majestic.8129

Despite me playing various mmos between wow, rift and aion, I’ve only had problems with this game. Yeah I’m misinforming people by telling them how bad this game is optimized. I guarantee none of the devs are running AMD cpus and are only fixing performance problems for Intel users to save time and money.

Glow pretty much hit the nail on the head, a FX-8150 even gets stomped by an i3 in CPU bound games such as rts/mmo even with far lower clocks: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=289.

Zero issues here, actually getting better performance at launch than pretty much any MMO released recently…

Glow.4159

Here ya go:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/47155-amd-bulldozer-fx-8150-processor-review-15.html

Then go ahead and navigate to the rest of the gaming benchmark pages. Notice how the i3 is above the 8150 in almost every game?

There’s nothing wrong about being misinformed on certain subjects and learning something new. Problems only arise when you start stating said misinformation as unfounded fact.

Posted by: Army.5172

Army.5172

Phenom IIx4 955@3,8 Ghz , 8 GB DDR3@1600Mhz , Evga gtx 560 ti fpb and i can get 40 – 60 + all max out ingame questing and events. I Tweaked the settings a bit Shadows on low and post procesing on low since on high it gives a weird bloom and i can get 60 – 80 + fps depends on the zone im on. Im very happy of my old crappy Phenom that it still can pull some good fps from most of all games at max settings so .. now we just wait to see some engine improvments from Anet and some certified drivers from Nvidia ^^ Have a nice day

QQ FTW >.>

Posted by: Army.5172

Army.5172

Im playin at 1920×1080 and i havent test WvW yet .. i was thinkin maybe someone will ask about this info

QQ FTW >.>

Moz.8264

Here ya go:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/47155-amd-bulldozer-fx-8150-processor-review-15.html

Then go ahead and navigate to the rest of the gaming benchmark pages. Notice how the i3 is above the 8150 in almost every game?

There’s nothing wrong about being misinformed on certain subjects and learning something new. Problems only arise when you start stating said misinformation as unfounded fact.

There are benchmarks were the lesser FX4000 outbeats the FX8000, it’s nothing new.
And like I said; show me a benchmark of a Pentium Dual core beating an FX8000, not an i3…

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

I have absolutely no problems running GW2 on my Phenom II X6 1090T even in crowded pvp I don’t dip below 30fps and I’m using a GeForce 560Ti, same goes for my other PC running an X4 945 (with an ATI HD5770), and my laptop with P350 @ 2.5GHz.
The FX series was a flop, I was going to buy one but didn’t, gonna wait for the next gen of that architecture.

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

(edited by Teknobug.3782)

Posted by: Izoli.5104

Izoli.5104

Idc how bad AMD performs, all I know is that my i7 3930k is a beast and I need to upgrade my gtx580 to a 690 in order to keep up with it. :] And no way in hell I was going to spend double the money for the 3960… So don’t make fun of me…. :’(

Tend to glance at my fps now and again I see it between 70-120 most the time. 1920×1080 best appearance

Posted by: ZaxanRazor.6235

ZaxanRazor.6235

If you have an AMD that isn’t one of the old Phenom X4s, you’re not gonna have a good time. They’re just not cut out for gaming – especially the late 2012 releases and going forward.

The Bulldozer and Piledriver platforms are just woeful.

Posted by: Voltage.8965

Voltage.8965

If you have an AMD that isn’t one of the old Phenom X4s, you’re not gonna have a good time. They’re just not cut out for gaming – especially the late 2012 releases and going forward.

The Bulldozer and Piledriver platforms are just woeful.

I purchased a 8150 and it runs everything Brilliantly
im only having issues with GW2

Nobody is perfect.
But I am so close it scares me

ZaxanRazor.6235

I know it’s hard to be critical of something you’ve spent a chunk of money, but I really don’t think it will run “everything” brilliantly apart from GW2.

I’ve been building computers for years and it’s easily the worst new platform since the Pentium 4.

Posted by: Voltage.8965

Voltage.8965

i play bf3 at high – ultra with constant 50-60 fps and that game seems more intense..
unless i overclock it. i have liquid cooling. why not

Nobody is perfect.
But I am so close it scares me

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

This isn’t totally AMD’s fault. The Window’s scheduler isn’t smart enough to detect and properly work with Bulldozer’s “modules” from the get go, so Windows alone is hampering performance. The patches that have been released for Windows 7 are crap too, you get no improved performance and you cannot uninstall them.

Even though Intel is better, they were paying out massive bribes in order to hurt AMD’s profits for years. And it worked, evidenced when they had to lay off tons of valuable employees and Bulldozer taking forever to launch. If they didn’t have internal chaos and OEMs weren’t bribed to not take AMD chips (even donated ones) they might be in a better place now. That’s why I don’t support Intel, even if their products are superior. They have over 3x budget for R&D and they still feel the need to play dirty?

The good news is that the Piledriver and Steamroller are better than Bulldozer (even if not much). Piledriver is only like 4-10% better from reports on leaked samples. Steamroller was said to be “up to 30%” faster at HotChips event, however an in internal source said it was “up to 45% better”.

(edited by Unpredictability.4086)

ZaxanRazor.6235

Yep, it’s a shame that Intel were pretty much able to get away with what they did, but I couldn’t really bring myself to spend money on inferior products for something that I use every day.

I did think about it, believe me.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Benches are done with No OC on AMD,FX cpu’s need to be Oc’d to match intels performance or even surpace it.

Posted by: miiksu.3741

miiksu.3741

The patches that have been released for Windows 7 are crap too, you get no improved performance and you cannot uninstall them.

Yes you can uninstall AMD hotfixes. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates > search; KB2645594 and KB2646060. Uninstall, reboot and you are done

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

The patches that have been released for Windows 7 are crap too, you get no improved performance and you cannot uninstall them.

Yes you can uninstall AMD hotfixes. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates > search; KB2645594 and KB2646060. Uninstall, reboot and you are done

It looks like you can uninstall the first one but not the second: “Important If you apply this update, you cannot revert the settings by uninstalling this update. This update should only be installed on computers that have KB2645594 installed.” That’s what i was refering to.

Posted by: miiksu.3741

miiksu.3741

It looks like you can uninstall the first one but not the second: “Important If you apply this update, you cannot revert the settings by uninstalling this update. This update should only be installed on computers that have KB2645594 installed.” That’s what i was refering to.

I don’t remember seeing that warning but who cares if you still get mostly of time slightly performance increase. If I don’t remember wrong performance increase was something like 0-3 fps.

Posted by: Arran Pellaeon.8437

Arran Pellaeon.8437

I’m running a FX8120 and Radeon 6870 and and am playing the game fine with no issues. Settings all maxed save for shadows (on med), and getting a consistant 50+ fps all the time. WvW can drop a little lower during keep sieges but still perfectly playable. Intel may be a better performer but AMD’s not a pile of garbage by any stretch.

ZaxanRazor.6235

No, but their price / performance ratio (except for the old Phenoms) is very poor.

Caedmon.6798

No, but their price / performance ratio (except for the old Phenoms) is very poor.

Well,not really actually i beat a 2600k easily with my fx 8120 oc’d to 4.6.Fx are made to be oc’d,at stock they are crap i agree,but its not about stock speed with these cpu’s.

ZaxanRazor.6235

You won’t beat an overclocked 2600K in gaming. You just won’t. Not unless you’ve managed to do something that no benchmark site has managed.

Posted by: Brem.6792

Brem.6792

Here ya go:

There are benchmarks were the lesser FX4000 outbeats the FX8000, it’s nothing new.
And like I said; show me a benchmark of a Pentium Dual core beating an FX8000, not an i3…

GW2 CPU perfomance chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

Dosent have Phenom II or Intels old Core2’s in there either but if it did odds are they would both be scoreing higher FPS than the Bulldozer CPU’s aswell

Posted by: Roargathor.2743

Roargathor.2743

As you can see the Intel Pentium Dual Core does better than AMD’s FX-8000 in this game. We all know the bulldozer series didn’t meet expectations but come on; this is just ridiculous. It seems the only way to get decent frames in this game on a bulldozer CPU is overclock it like mad.

From personal experience, I wouldn’t even bother playing with a Phenom II unless you like playing at sub ~30 fps with overclocking. WvW? That’s a whole different story…

Im using a Phenom II x4 3.4ghz 965… Game runs great even in wvw on max settings. I had to update my bios when I upgraded from a athelon 64×2 3.0ghz, but once I did it was flawless.

Posted by: Yorgie B.5618

Yorgie B.5618

Running a Phenom II X6 1035T @ 2.6 GHz (stock) and 6870 (stock). I’m getting around 40-60 FPS in PvE and 30ish in WvWvW @ 1920 × 1080.

AMD FX-8350+Sapphire R9-290
Guild Wars Community member since 2005

Posted by: Blessedswine.6380

Blessedswine.6380

i got a AMD phenom 1090t @ 3.85ghz, and a HD7970 and it runs just fine, 70-80 in cities and 50-65 in WvW the phenoms are better then those kitteny bulldozers, why do you think most phenom 2 are as if not more expensive then the bulldozer chips, AMD royally screwed the pooch on bulldozer, and unless piledriver is about equal to intel(which i doubt) ill be getting a intel chip the next time around, which saddens me cause i hate spending that crazy amount of money on chip and mobo for intel.

Posted by: Eroth.1753

Eroth.1753

I don’t understand where this hate for AMD is coming from. I have a X4 975 BE @ 4.0ghz and I’m hitting 70+ fps in PVE with best apperance and 40+ in W3 With a gtx 560ti.

ZaxanRazor.6235

I don’t understand where this hate for AMD is coming from. I have a X4 975 BE @ 4.0ghz and I’m hitting 70+ fps in PVE with best apperance and 40+ in W3 With a gtx 560ti.

Because you have the last decent generation of CPUs they made. Which in some games is outperformed by the i3s, as they are two generations newer.

Caedmon.6798

You won’t beat an overclocked 2600K in gaming. You just won’t. Not unless you’ve managed to do something that no benchmark site has managed.

You should talk from real world gaming performance,not benches done against FX’s that arent being oc’d,because that are what most benches show.I know because i beat a friend of mine who has a 2600k,and his temps rises like its wanting to set his house on fire when trying to oc the 2600k,70c+. Yet im going from 3.1 to 4.6 just by upping the multiplier to 23.x on 1.4V and my cpu stays around 50 under full load and blasts away anything i throw at it.Trying to give his 2600k a stable oc was a already a pain without the insanely added heat.

Posted by: jyang.3021

jyang.3021

i got 955 be at 3.6ghz, 7950 and 8gb ram but when im in town its 25fps and only when in instants im at 40-45 fps. all setting is medium with vysnc. amd totally sucks in gw2