Building A Computer

Building A Computer

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

First thing, how hard is it? I don’t have much knowledge with building computers.

Also, I am looking to spend around $500 and be able to run on medium settings at around 30-40FPS.

Anyone have a build?

Bad Elementalist

Building A Computer

Posted by: iAsuno.9654

iAsuno.9654

With monitor? or without?

Building A Computer

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Building a computer is really simple if you do a little research and/or watch some movies on youtube. I learned by simply using google and read everything I came across. This gave me enough knowledge of all the necessary components (CPU/RAM/Motherboard/Hard Drive). Once I was confident I knew what parts I needed I went and researched what was the best for my money. It cost me a pretty penny since I didn’t do enough research, but it was a solid computer with a P4 before dual-core processors were out and about.

Are you shooting to have that FPS in WvW? If so, your build will not fit inside that budget.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Building A Computer

Posted by: iAsuno.9654

iAsuno.9654

i dunno much about AMD stuff so here’s an Intel build. case is a personal choice and i only chose this case because of the $30 discount (5 dollars ftw). if you were to buy this in a store, i would say about 505 dollars or so. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PXM9

I’m not an expert in this, just trying to help

Building A Computer

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

It should be fairly simple if you take some time to look over manuals and a few YouTube videos.

This should be able to run pass ur expectation, esp if you overclock, within ur price range:

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $90.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $60.97 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 × 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $49.05 @ NCIX US
Storage Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Newegg
Video Card PowerColor Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card $79.99 @ Newegg
Case Xion XON-180 ATX Mid Tower Case $19.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply $30.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $15.98 @ Outlet PC
Monitor Acer G236HLBbd 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $109.99 @ Newegg
Total : $512.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.

Building A Computer

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

Do yourself a favor and save up $200 more to buy good parts and not need to spend alot more sooner. Includes the operating system you can leave that off if you have a 64bit one you can use. $713
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q486
This is with quality parts not the cheapest stuff you can buy like others have sugested.
Good CPU, PSU, HDD, MB, alot better video card than the DDR3 7750 sugested, 8GB of good memory duel chanel not a single stick that somebody sugested for a duel chanel board.
3 part video how to build a PC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

(edited by zerk.9701)

Building A Computer

Posted by: basketcase.3894

basketcase.3894

Sky’s suggestion is pretty good, with one exception. That ASRock board isn’t going to overclock for kitten, and will quite possibly be unable to handle the Phenom II even at stock voltages (3+1 phase VRM with no cooling=bad).

My recommendation for motherboard would be an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 or Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3. It would add a bit of cost, but it’s well worth it IMO. If you just can’t afford the extra cost, at least go with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. With that you should be safe with some overclocking at least, and you definitely won’t have problems at stock.

Now on to difficulty, it really is quite simple. Do some research ahead of time, and you’ll be fine. In many cases things only go together one way, so unless you’re acting like a monkey banging things together, it’s hard to do it wrong. There are lots of resources and communities out there (Tom’s Hardware, AnandTech, Reddit build a pc, etc.) that you can turn to.

EDIT: kitten completely missed the DDR3 card, none of that. Really the rest of the build is fine though. A Phenom II will work quite well for everything outside of crowded DEs/WvW (I’m speaking from experience), and Corsair PSUs are among the best.

(edited by basketcase.3894)

Building A Computer

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

Sky’s suggestion is pretty good, with one exception. That ASRock board isn’t going to overclock for kitten, and will quite possibly be unable to handle the Phenom II even at stock voltages (3+1 phase VRM with no cooling=bad).

My recommendation for motherboard would be an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 or Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3. It would add a bit of cost, but it’s well worth it IMO. If you just can’t afford the extra cost, at least go with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. With that you should be safe with some overclocking at least, and you definitely won’t have problems at stock.

Now on to difficulty, it really is quite simple. Do some research ahead of time, and you’ll be fine. In many cases things only go together one way, so unless you’re acting like a monkey banging things together, it’s hard to do it wrong. There are lots of resources and communities out there (Tom’s Hardware, AnandTech, Reddit build a pc, etc.) that you can turn to.

Alot more than one exception the DDR3 video card the processor the HDD and the very cheap CX series power supply do you know who makes the CX series? The processor in my build will beat the AMD no mater what you overclock it to and if I remeber right they were no aftermarket coolers listed . You might get 3.8 out of it with a stock cooler but that would be pushing it. The stock 3470 would still stomp on that for this game.

(edited by zerk.9701)

Building A Computer

Posted by: basketcase.3894

basketcase.3894

Alot more than one exception the DDR3 video card the processor the HDD and the very cheap CX series power supply do you know who makes the CX series? The processor in my build will beat the AMD no mater what you overclock it to and if I remeber right they were no aftermarket coolers listed . You might get 3.8 out of it with a stock cooler but that would be pushing it. The stock 3470 would still stomp on that for this game.

I didn’t notice the DDR3 card at first, that was my bad.

Channel Well makes the CX series, and they’ve made excellent PSUs in the past several years. I own multiple CX series (and a TX also made by CWT), and haven’t had a problem with any of them.

The processor in your build is also $60 more expensive and significantly newer. I certainly hope it would perform better. I mentioned overclocking simply because Sky suggested that he could overclock, but there’s no way it would happen on that board. You can get a 212 Evo for $30, so the cooler isn’t really a huge issue.

Building A Computer

Posted by: Jedi Master Pyro.8716

Jedi Master Pyro.8716

If you want a pre build gaming PC you can get something like this. It’s little over you budget but not bad price for what you are getting. I have never bought anything from ibuypower before though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227472