Can Guild Wars 2 run on HP Elitebook 2540p?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: FlameAlchemist.8143

FlameAlchemist.8143

Q:

I was wondering if Guild Wars 2 can run on an HP Elitebook 2540p Laptop. Found a nice laptop that’s within budget. Wondering if the video card will allow a game as graphically intensive as like Guild Wars 2 to work.

Specs:

Notebook: HP EliteBook 2540p-WK302EA (EliteBook 2540p Series)

Processor: Intel Core i7 640LM

Graphics Adapter: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD Graphics

Display: 12.1 inch, 16:10, 1280×800 pixels, glossy: no

Weight: 1.5kg

Posted by: Drayven.6408

Drayven.6408

A:

Ok, a few things to note here…

Notebooks are not going to be very good playing GW2… Specifically for two reasons…

1 – GW2 is actually a game that is very CPU dependent and not so much with being GPU dependent… With that said most laptops these days, even an i7 in most laptops these days are going to be dual-core processors, even if it says Quad-Core, they are likely to only have 2 cores capable of Hyper Threading.

2 – Laptops almost always run with a shared memory GPU vs Dedicated memory for a desktop GPU with an actual video card that isn’t integrated. This means that the RAM in the computer is shared with the OS and all of the software on the hard drive (Like Normal), AND the GPU. Meaning you actually have even less memory than is actually stated.

Now with all that said, you definitely could run GW2 on a laptop… Although, I highly doubt that you could actually get away with going any higher than medium settings on pretty much any laptop out there right now, unless you were wanting something that would cost more than $1000.

A couple of things that you should watch for when buying a laptop is this… Stick with Intel… You want an HD 4000 or higher with the GPU. You also want at least an i5, and finally you really want to get at least 4GB of RAM.

That all said, with $500 total you could get twice the computer with a Desktop than you could a laptop. I would still recommend that you actually get a desktop over a laptop. If you can’t though, I would recommend that you go with the laptop already recommended here in this thread.

Posted by: Drayven.6408

Drayven.6408

Not likely… The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Graphics chip is not a very powerful GPU…

What kind of budget are you working with? I may be able to assist you with getting a computer that would work for running GW2. Also does it -have- to be a laptop, or could you possibly work with a Desktop?

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

It will run, but you probably won’t get great performance – especially when lots of players are around.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

It will run but low settings.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

doesnt reach minium requirements of intel hd 3000.

Ummm, you should had consult with someone else when buying a laptop.

its a shame. amd kaveri and refurb ivy bridge laptop can run this game on minium settings

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

I dont think he bought it yet (atleast I hope not)

That Laptop is a very old i5. And since it doesnt have any AMD or Nvidia Dedicated GPU its not even worth the money you would be paying for it today.

Since you are looking for a budget laptop, I have to suggest a DV6z-6c00 or DV6t-6100 Refurb. They run about 250-350. Come with Llano APUs (Z) or Intel Sandy Bridge CPU (T) and a Dedicated AMD HD6770 or Nvidia 650(for the Intel Variant). That is the best bang for the buck in the sub 400 dallor range right now. Both come with a 1366×768 LCD though.

Both will handle GW2 at 1080p on Medium Settings(External Monitor). The APU will hurt more in Zergs then the Intel, however.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

I wouldn’t put Guild Wars 2 anywhere near that laptop. Even with that thing turboing to 2.933 GHz, it would still run very bad on the native resolution. Intel GMA back in those days were horrible and were only meant for business related things or general use like browsing internet, small internet games, complex documents, but NOT games. The last time I played on a laptop with an Intel GMA, it was the worst possible experience. It could hardly handle Runescape with it’s fancy new graphics that was put in. Now Intel HD on the other hand, HD 4000 and 4600 are rather decent in comparison.

(edited by Avelos.6798)

Posted by: FlameAlchemist.8143

FlameAlchemist.8143

@Drayven Thankfully I didn’t buy it yet, but I’m at a $500 budget

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

I’m at a $500 budget

I think you’d have a better chance finding an i3 laptop with Intel HD 4000. Preferrably a standard i3 at least third gen, not a low powered. Something that is like 2.4 or 2.5 or even 2.3 GHz. With intel HD 4000 on it it could get away with medium. My Asus laptop with i5 3210M and HD 4000 can get away with medium settings well enough to play PVE, obvious drops in large player events.

Or you could find an APU laptop that has a good APU in it like I don’t know an A-8 5750M? I haven’t been keeping up with APUs but I understand the mobile quad cores are decent. It’s not going to be as good as the Intel processor, but on the plus side you get a better graphics chip and you can run some of Guild Wars 2’s settings on a higher level. The APUs are good for budgets.

(edited by Avelos.6798)

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

@Drayven Thankfully I didn’t buy it yet, but I’m at a $500 budget

going to repost since its extremely relevant here.

Since you are looking for a budget laptop, I have to suggest a DV6z-6c00 or DV6t-6100 Refurb. They run about 250-350. Come with Llano APUs (Z) or Intel Sandy Bridge CPU (T) and a Dedicated AMD HD6770 or Nvidia 650(for the Intel Variant). That is the best bang for the buck in the sub 400 dallor range right now. Both come with a 1366×768 LCD though.

I have a modded DV6z-6c00 that I am using for testing right now. I would value it at 285 in its current condition (missing cdrom, missing screws, scratched up LCD bezel…ect) and it plays GW2 at 45-55FPS with a 1366×768 resolution on medium settings (Low shaders, no shadows, and no reflections…Personal preference there).

And that notebook is a Llano APU (A8-3500) with a HD6620G+HD7690M in hybrid Crossfire mode.

For sub 500 that is the BEST to hope for right now.

At about 650~ you can buy an HP elite book with a 850M with an Intel i3 and a 1366×768 resolution that should double the FPS I get on my DV6z-6c00.

edit I decided to take some screenshots of GW2 on my DV6z-6c00 (Which I would value under 400 bucks), so you can just see for yourself on what to expect. The performance is still better then on my HD3000 which is tied to my i7-2630Qm in my other laptop. Nothing beats a decent(Medium ranged) Dedicated GPU, when comparing against integrated Graphics.

http://imgur.com/VmqA4Ag,2RUNp8b,RHAH4xY,Fkhvbih,8yrHmbB,I8FDo6u,VXKWSv0,rGCSSCY#5

Specs
APU: A8-3500 + HD6620G
RAM: 2×2GB DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Dedicated Graphics: HD7690M 1GB GDDR3
HDD: 500G 7200RPM Hitachi
Display: 1366×768

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

(edited by ikereid.4637)

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Ok, a few things to note here…

Notebooks are not going to be very good playing GW2… Specifically for two reasons…

1 – GW2 is actually a game that is very CPU dependent and not so much with being GPU dependent… With that said most laptops these days, even an i7 in most laptops these days are going to be dual-core processors, even if it says Quad-Core, they are likely to only have 2 cores capable of Hyper Threading.

2 – Laptops almost always run with a shared memory GPU vs Dedicated memory for a desktop GPU with an actual video card that isn’t integrated. This means that the RAM in the computer is shared with the OS and all of the software on the hard drive (Like Normal), AND the GPU. Meaning you actually have even less memory than is actually stated.

Now with all that said, you definitely could run GW2 on a laptop… Although, I highly doubt that you could actually get away with going any higher than medium settings on pretty much any laptop out there right now, unless you were wanting something that would cost more than $1000.

A couple of things that you should watch for when buying a laptop is this… Stick with Intel… You want an HD 4000 or higher with the GPU. You also want at least an i5, and finally you really want to get at least 4GB of RAM.

That all said, with $500 total you could get twice the computer with a Desktop than you could a laptop. I would still recommend that you actually get a desktop over a laptop. If you can’t though, I would recommend that you go with the laptop already recommended here in this thread.

Pretty much,

@OP, are you in need of a portable laptop? Or you just prefer a “laptop”? If you plan to play at home only, I suggest getting a desktop which has far more power. For now I would say OEM desktop (pre-build) since if you’re not that savvy with computers.

DIY desktop is cheap to do and usually twice more powerful than a typical pre-built computer but only if you know how to assemble it yourself.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq