Crash: corrupt archive?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Lannister.5916

Lannister.5916

Q:

I installed Guild Wars 2 during the head start and it played fine for the first two days. Now it crashes every time I launch it. I can load an area, move for about 10 seconds, and then the game’s gone and I have an error telling me a file in the archive is corrupt and I need to run repair. I have repaired numerous times, uninstalled and reinstalled, but I cannot still get back to that happy point where the game worked. All background apps have been disabled, video card drivers have been unintalled and reinstalled to latest version, install location has been moved from Program Files (x86) to its own folder, dat file has been deleted and redownloaded, peripherals have been unplugged… what else can I do? I assume the game made some registry changes that aren’t being undone by the uninstall, because no other changes have been made to this system. Ran ccleaner, but that offered no fix either. The computer is only a month old, has very little software on it, and runs every other game I’ve thrown at it without error. No clue why is is so crashy. Can someone please advise? I submitted a trouble ticket 5 days ago, but no word back yet.

(edited by Lannister.5916)

Posted by: Stuka.7165

Stuka.7165

Seems alot of us are in the same boat. Hopefully this issue will be addressed.

Posted by: PaniK.9482

PaniK.9482

same boat for me, except i can play sometimes. sometimes it crashes directly to dekstop after starting, sometimes i can play for an hour, sometimes 25mins, ect….this is my last error

Assertion: A file was corrupted in the archive. Please run once with ‘-repair’!
File: ..\..\..\Game\Main\MainCli.cpp(510)
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 4548
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 15437
When: 2012-09-06T05:40:49Z 2012-09-06T00:40:49-05:00
Uptime: 0 days 0:44:17
Flags: 0

Posted by: PaniK.9482

PaniK.9482

oh, and its really annoying to run the repair every time it crash’s, to repair nothing?

Posted by: Nightwind Of Dwayna.3250

Nightwind Of Dwayna.3250

For whatever it’s worth, my friend runs 16GB of RAM normally. I advised her to pull two of the sticks, which she did, and she is now running with no errors.

I am not sure if it’s a bad memory issue, a mobo issue, or what, but even if memtest comes back clean, I’ve seen removing a RAM module or two fix many of these problems.

Edit to say: She was having this EXACT problem.

Nightwind Of Dwayna – Guardian
Unknown Warriors [UW]
Fort Aspenwood

Lannister.5916

Might have found something. I let Memtest86+ run all night and it reported a lot of errors. Of course, GW2 is still the only program that is crashing on my computer, which means it may be super sensitive to stuff like this.

Attachments:

(edited by Lannister.5916)

Lannister.5916

Was really hoping for some more advice. Any suggestions?

It looks like it might be memory related, but no other program gives me pain one. So I guess it’s time to call Dell.

Posted by: BillFreist

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

Next

Yes this is because of a hardware failure (or failing). The files that your computer are writing to the disk don’t match up with what they are supposed to be, which is why the game crashes.

Your memtest results pretty much nailed the issue, which sucks because you have bad hardware . Hope you get this resolved and back in-game!

-Bill

Posted by: Womp.8752

Womp.8752

Yes this is because of a hardware failure (or failing). The files that your computer are writing to the disk don’t match up with what they are supposed to be, which is why the game crashes.

Your memtest results pretty much nailed the issue, which sucks because you have bad hardware . Hope you get this resolved and back in-game!

-Bill

So Bill, you’re saying he has faulty hardware because it works for every other game EXCEPT yours? Now, call me crazy, but that seems like there’s something wrong with the game and not the hardware…

Posted by: Zaron.1687

Zaron.1687

Womp, I am beginning to suspect it is an issue with the game engine, which means it will never be fixed. Some can play it, others can’t, with no fix in sight.

Posted by: Jaxxeh.8614

Jaxxeh.8614

I have the same issue. What I really don’t understand is, if it’s a memory issue (my first thought as well), then why is the game forcing you to do a complete archive check & repair? Memory != File System.

I can live with the occasional crash, it’s the lengthy repair process that’s killing me.

Posted by: PaulMarden.4619

Previous

PaulMarden.4619

Hello, Jaxxeh —

Unfortunately, the game is not able to diagnose memory-issues itself. The reason this manifests as “a file was corrupted in the archive” is because the game’s downloader uses that bad memory to process the files from the file-server before writing them to disk. This means that when the game tries to load one of those files when you’re actually playing, it’ll end up loading a corrupted file and will crash in the manner experienced here.

The repair process checks every single file in the 14+ GB archive and removes the bad ones it finds. Then it redownloads those removed files, which is another opportunity for bad memory to corrupt them all over again. = (

To be honest, even if it didn’t crash here, the bad memory could strike in many, many different ways — some subtle and others far from subtle. If you’ve got evidence of bad memory, I suggest contacting your manufacturer ASAP.

EDIT: I should note that the downloader does verify everything it receives from the file-server before writing it to disk. Alas, that process is not immune to hardware-errors like bad memory.

Lannister.5916

Well, Dell found a similar memory error running the diagnostics on the bios. They are sending someone out with a new motherboard and RAM next week. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

Posted by: Jaxxeh.8614

Jaxxeh.8614

Hi Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to explain the probable cause of the issue and how it affects the diagnostic & repair process. Now I understand, and it makes perfect sense.

Not sure if my problem was actual faulty RAM or Virtual Memory issues (like a bad sector on the drive where Virtual Memory is located). I’ve freed additional space and moved the game to another drive and haven’t had an error since. However, RAM or drive, it’s most definitely a hardware issue, and your suggestion to address it if & when evidence is found is sound advice. Thank you again.

Lannister.5916

Update on my situation: new motherboard and RAM from Dell seems to have resolved the issue. I did a fresh install last night and have gotten in about 3 hours without a single crash. Fingers crossed that the fix lasts!

Posted by: Lanvall.9157

Lanvall.9157

-Bill

So Bill, you’re saying he has faulty hardware because it works for every other game EXCEPT yours? Now, call me crazy, but that seems like there’s something wrong with the game and not the hardware…

Seriously… ^this.

Its not bad hardware thats causing it.. its useless programming thats causing this.