Crashes in almost every big battle

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Morhyn.8032

Morhyn.8032

I’m getting rather tired of it. Just about every time I get into a big WvW battle, or even a massive event (e.g. Lost Shores), the game client crashes in one of two ways:

1) The audio engine craps out and starts playing a pulsing sine wave (i.e. steadily alternating the frequency). I have to quit the game and relaunch it to “fix” this.
2) The pulsing sine wave starts to play but is immediately followed by the whole client locking up and the audio repeating in a rapid tacktacktacktack… sound. The only way out of this is killing the process with the task manager.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

do you have “AOE damage circle display” disabled in options? Enabling this has fixed crashing issues for some in certain areas.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Morhyn.8032

I have them enabled.

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

update to service pack 1 if you want support.

Posted by: Odona.8402

Odona.8402

I wrote about it long time ago , so many people have a problems with it , yet no real response from the support.

How should we feel about it ? I’m very disappointed , almost every big battle is not possible, because either I will have to turn my sound off and play in silence or it will just crash along with it.

Why there’s no real response for that problem ?

Morhyn.8032

I don’t see what that has to do with anything. The only process bombing out is Guild Wars 2. All libraries on which it depends are up-to-date (e.g. video card drivers and DirectX). The only Windows level updates available to my system are security updates (and this machine has no open ports to the outside world) and .NET Framework updates (no bearing on GW2 what-so-ever).

Morhyn.8032

I wrote about it long time ago , so many people have a problems with it , yet no real response from the support.

How should we feel about it ? I’m very disappointed , almost every big battle is not possible, because either I will have to turn my sound off and play in silence or it will just crash along with it.

Why there’s no real response for that problem ?

It’s comforting to hear that I’m not the only one with this problem. That means it is definitely something with the game code and not my system. But it is not comforting to hear about the lack of attention from ANet.

Posted by: talanas.4619

talanas.4619

/signed
i have the same sound problem

Squall Leonhart.2075

I don’t see what that has to do with anything. The only process bombing out is Guild Wars 2. All libraries on which it depends are up-to-date (e.g. video card drivers and DirectX). The only Windows level updates available to my system are security updates (and this machine has no open ports to the outside world) and .NET Framework updates (no bearing on GW2 what-so-ever).

Service Pack 1 includes a number of unpublished hotfixes that improve the stability of DirectX applications, the Kernel itself, and other kernel drivers including WASAPI that can impact the stability of heavy load applications.

hotfixes such as http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2386792 (which would be applicable in GW2’s case)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113

(edited by Squall Leonhart.2075)

Squall Leonhart.2075

Service Pack 1 includes a number of unpublished hotfixes that improve the stability of DirectX applications, the Kernel itself, and other kernel drivers including WASAPI that can impact the stability of heavy load applications.

hotfixes such as http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2386792 (which would be applicable in GW2’s case)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113

If you refuse to install SP1
Anet will refuse you support based on the grounds you are not running an up to date system, considering it a waste of their time.

Morhyn.8032

There is no reason to apply such updates when the system is stable and they don’t even apply to the system in question. As an example, your specific example does not apply to my system because I only have one display attached.

Also, the description of the problem, and the attached debug data, clearly points toward the software itself being the culprit. Additionally, subsequent people reporting to have the same issue supports this conclusion.

I do not accept your theory that SP1 is the culprit. Unless it is shown that the game actually requires SP1 in order to operate, then I will not waste my limited bandwidth and time by installing patches that could adversely affect the stability of my computer.

Thus far, nothing posted to this thread has shown SP1 to be an actual requirement for this software to run properly.

Posted by: Clyne.9038

Clyne.9038

Hey,

I have been asking for assistance for awhile now and have tried several fixes.
Your situation seems to be like what i’m experiencing too. My game would freeze, have that tacktacktack sound, like you’ve described, and i’ll either have to end task or do a manual restart.

Are you sure its a sound issue ? I might try to update the sound drivers.

There is no reason to apply such updates when the system is stable and they don’t even apply to the system in question. As an example, your specific example does not apply to my system because I only have one display attached.

Also, the description of the problem, and the attached debug data, clearly points toward the software itself being the culprit. Additionally, subsequent people reporting to have the same issue supports this conclusion.

I do not accept your theory that SP1 is the culprit. Unless it is shown that the game actually requires SP1 in order to operate, then I will not waste my limited bandwidth and time by installing patches that could adversely affect the stability of my computer.

Thus far, nothing posted to this thread has shown SP1 to be an actual requirement for this software to run properly.

Squall Leonhart.2075

Its obviously not worth replying to you at all, good luck with your support case.

don’t be surprised when you are put on the do not reply list.

Morhyn.8032

Hey,

I have been asking for assistance for awhile now and have tried several fixes.
Your situation seems to be like what i’m experiencing too. My game would freeze, have that tacktacktack sound, like you’ve described, and i’ll either have to end task or do a manual restart.

Are you sure its a sound issue ? I might try to update the sound drivers.

I can’t be sure of that. I can only report the systems I am seeing and make an educated guess.

Morhyn.8032

Its obviously not worth replying to you at all, good luck with your support case.

don’t be surprised when you are put on the do not reply list.

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1119

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000, or better (256 MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
25 GB available HDD space
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and mouse

I meet the minimum system requirements. Therefore, the software should run correctly except in the case of a bug (i.e. what I have reported). So pardon me if I don’t accept the opinion of a random person, who isn’t affiliated with ArenaNet, that installing extra stuff I don’t need is the path to a solution.

kirito.4138

You’re having issues just install SP1, you have nothing to lose and only benefits to gain whether it be now or down the road. Another item to check off that you tried to troubleshoot.

Morhyn.8032

You’re having issues just install SP1, you have nothing to lose and only benefits to gain whether it be now or down the road. Another item to check off that you tried to troubleshoot.

That is not troubleshooting. The problem must be diagnosed before a solution can be found. Changing the state of the system makes diagnosing the problem impossible.

kirito.4138

Troubleshooting is trying things to see if it fixes your issue and observing what happens. You can’t troubleshoot if you don’t touch stuff.

Another thing you fail to realize is Windows is your Operating System. It has everything to do with system stability. SP1 as Squall said might have undocumented fixes for such things.

Update to SP1 if the problem is still there then move on to something else. It’s not gonna make it harder to find the problem. Make an image of your system if you are that obsessed with keeping system state.

Assuming you got your drivers etc up to date, what other option do you have but try SP1? That or go buy a new audio card?

(btw, your audio driver is from 2009. Guess you shouldn’t try updating it because it will change the state of your system)

Morhyn.8032

Troubleshooting is trying things to see if it fixes your issue and observing what happens. You can’t troubleshoot if you don’t touch stuff.

Another thing you fail to realize is Windows is your Operating System. It has everything to do with system stability. SP1 as Squall said might have undocumented fixes for such things.

Update to SP1 if the problem is still there then move on to something else. It’s not gonna make it harder to find the problem. Make an image of your system if you are that obsessed with keeping system state.

Assuming you got your drivers etc up to date, what other option do you have but try SP1? That or go buy a new audio card?

(btw, your audio driver is from 2009. Guess you shouldn’t try updating it because it will change the state of your system)

As I have stated previously, all reports of the problem in this thread indicate a problem with the game software, not the operating system software. The only thing crashing is the game. Nothing else on the system is affected when the crash occurs. Therefore, it is not the operating system software.

It is not possible to blindly install random patches and call that troubleshooting. Especially not when debug information is available to be supplied to the people who can actually troubleshoot the problem. Once you install new system software (i.e. OS updates), the debug information become irrelevant.

As for the audio drivers, those are the latest available. The “sound card” is built into the motherboard and is nothing more than a generic sound codec chip. It’s a very common, simple, component. Thus, there isn’t any need for new drivers on a regular basis; hence the lack of new drivers being available.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I believe that the sound issue can be resolved by putting the ingame audio settings to defaults. I had this issue and after I reset to defaults I haven’t had it since.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Morhyn.8032

I believe that the sound issue can be resolved by putting the ingame audio settings to defaults. I had this issue and after I reset to defaults I haven’t had it since.

This is a good example of how to troubleshoot the problem.

I don’t recall changing the audio settings from default, but I will check that when I get home.

Morhyn.8032

This is a good example of how to troubleshoot the problem.

I don’t recall changing the audio settings from default, but I will check that when I get home.

It seems that I did change the audio settings from the default. Specifically, I had increased the quality slider. I reset them to the defaults and only turned down the music volume. I played about 40 minutes of WvW last night, and it didn’t crash. I’m going to leave it this way for a while and continue testing.

Squall Leonhart.2075

K.

while you’re having issues with high quality, i’ll be running SP1 without any audio issues on high quality.

Posted by: dreadroberts.4086

dreadroberts.4086

Much like the original poster described. I now am getting the sine wave audio and then game crash. Earlier today, I was in the Claw of Jormag Event and I was able to complete it without issue. I signed on again this evening and attempted the SAME event and was dropped from the game.

I keep my system updated constantly, however, there were no updates that were installed today. Seems that SP1 isn’t the correct solution to this problem.