FPS Issue with the 9/9 patch [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: sith.8196

sith.8196

Notebook gamer here.
I have switchable graphics (Intel HD4400 and an AMD HD 8850M GDDR5)
As others, I too used to have 50-60 fps, but something happened. First I have noticed these fps drops when I was in Divinity’s Reach looking in the “Upper City” direction from Dwayna high road.
But it is in the Mists, in some PvE areas and in almost every city.
The funny thing is that I have more fps with my Intel with the same settings applied.
What have I tried so far:
-Because it is a notebook, obviously no hardware changes;
-Every other 3D applications are as good as they were;
-Driver update/downgrade;
-Different graphics settings;
-Other people’s guides like deleting files form: $USER$\AppData\Roaming\;

A friend of mine reinstalled his notebook because “Every problem can be solved with a Windows re-install” as he says and guess what. Now he has 35-40-45 fps with a GT 635M on medium settings.

Now what?

the same problem. asus n550jv. game works better on intel 4600hd than nvidia 750m. often drops fps when move camera

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

Still no solution. I Just stop playing WvW. Between this crap and unbalanced match up… This game is almost over for me.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-issue-solved/first#post4460625

Tested and it did not work. You do not have any proof either so you shouldn’t name it “issue solved”.

Didn’t work for me either. Lots of ppl tried it before.

ye after a couple of days working perfectly, fps dropped to 10-15 again.

I re-did my “solution” and it changed nothing.

At this point i’ve literally no idea what to do, aside RAGING HARD TO ANET.

Do u want us to rage on social networks ? Because it’s what will happen if you don’t fix it ASAP.

IT’S BEEN ALREADY A MONTH, THIS IS RIDICOLOUS.

Posted by: Noa.7490

Noa.7490

Well, something fried somewhere in my computer while I was playing. CPU and GPU were both running hot. String of BSOD’s followed, lots of reboots, rinse repeat, and now I can’t access Windows anymore.

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

Take a look at PCI-E into the mainboard on CPU-Z and see if it’s at 1x instead of 16×.

Seems like this patch brought it to 1x for no reason whatsoever.

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

Well, something fried somewhere in my computer while I was playing. CPU and GPU were both running hot. String of BSOD’s followed, lots of reboots, rinse repeat, and now I can’t access Windows anymore.

I have high temperatures too while playing GW2, more than another games. And I am not the only one, all my friends have this problem too and there is a lot of reports in the forum about this issue. No damage in hardware for the moment.

From my part I ain’t going to buy anything related with Arenanet in the future. Tech support in this game is awful, one of the worst I ever seen. I have no hope about a solution. I think I should aim to another game.

(edited by urieldhynne.2743)

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Take a look at PCI-E into the mainboard on CPU-Z and see if it’s at 1x instead of 16×.

Seems like this patch brought it to 1x for no reason whatsoever.

That doesn’t even make any sense. Nothing GW2 can do can possibly change your PCIE multiplier from 16x to 1×. Ridiculous nonsense.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: ishotellet.7184

ishotellet.7184

So what if someone could post something, are you actually working on this or what ?! why totally ignore us………

urieldhynne.2743

So what if someone could post something, are you actually working on this or what ?! why totally ignore us………

I am starting to think they are going to leave this as it is. Maybe the problem has a low priority in their tasks because we aren’t enough players complain about this.

I have a lot of in game friends with the same problems but they don’t waste their time complaining in the forum, because this is what it is.

The game now run in low FPS for a lot of ppl, I think if you can play it, do it. If not, move to another game.

I am doing dailies only now. I am not going to play in the current state. If I get no solution (Here or through my complain ticket) I am going to stop playing this and starting with a new mmo game.

I have no hope in Anet, because they didn’t prove anything in 2 years. I am a WvW player, I know what it feels.

This is what it is.

ishotellet.7184

I am starting to think they are going to leave this as it is. Maybe the problem has a low priority in their tasks because we aren’t enough players complain about this.

I have a lot of in game friends with the same problems but they don’t waste their time complaining in the forum, because this is what it is.

The game now run in low FPS for a lot of ppl, I think if you can play it, do it. If not, move to another game.

I am doing dailies only now. I am not going to play in the current state. If I get no solution (Here or through my complain ticket) I am going to stop playing this and starting with a new mmo game.

I have no hope in Anet, because they didn’t prove anything in 2 years. I am a WvW player, I know what it feels.

This is what it is.

Yea i know that not all people use the forum which is kinda sad and i’ve only logged in when people have linked some “fixes”. I’m a wvw player myself and yea i’m not gonna log in untill this is fixed.

I’m gonna make this official tho, Anet release another patch which totally mess up the game again and totally ignore the community afterwards.

Besides all this, the amount of players they’ve lost by doing this is just insane. Had a bunch of mates who wanted to try the game but they got the low fps aswell so they skipped it for now and i doubt that they will ever try it again tho.

Posted by: eGn.7029

eGn.7029

Do you guys need like 1 year or more to get this fix? Bunch of stupid people breaking stuff instead of fix.

Posted by: ClaviculaNox.8762

ClaviculaNox.8762

We need an update or a stupid response from you guys!!
Ignoring this god kitten thread is not solving anything
IT’S BEEN A STUPID MONTH SO FAR!

I’m not Obsessed , I’m POSSESSED!

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

Anet has said they cannot reproduce the issue on their end, hence meaning a small minority of players and their system environments that is the problem. Since it’s working fine for the other large part of players I doubt any fix will be made and tech support is all we have for each of our cases. It’s just not high priority.

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Do you guys need like 1 year or more to get this fix? Bunch of stupid people breaking stuff instead of fix.

Well, let me try and break it down for you (the main reason why so many things broke that were previously working just fine).

What Anet did was take their codebase from the Chinese version of the game and attempt to do a hard merge into the codebase of our (western version) of the game. I’ve had to do merges from previous versions of game engines to newer ones, and those are nightmarish enough — imagine merging in 6+ months of code from an entirely different version of the game into the current one.

The merge conflicts are enormous. This is how so many game systems ended up in such bad shape, and we have had 9 patches since.

It’s why a feature that worked without absolutely no problems before, High-Res Character Textures, is now game-breaking for me (single digit framerates if I have it checked). It’s why there are all sorts of inconsistencies across the netcode. It’s why we now have a 3rd party UI backend for the TP that has proved to be unreliable at best (I’m guessing that Anet does not have access to the source, only its libraries, thus the sheer number of problems that we’ve seen with Coherent itself). It’s why, for some reason, massive framerate improvements were promised and I haven’t talked to a single person who’s said they’ve gotten better performance since the patch.

Just because people don’t post about it doesn’t mean they aren’t having problems. Some just flat out quit the game. A large number of posts about this are scattered in other threads throughout other subforums that were not merged into this one.

It’s a major screwup, and the reason why they’re asking us all these questions is because they have no idea what to do.

If people’s systems don’t change between one major patch and the next, and then hundreds/thousands of them suddenly see a major hit to their performance, it’s Occam’s Razor in that it’s not the fault of the many but the fault of the software. They can’t fix, at least not yet, what they don’t know they broke.

rojak.1894

I know some people notice no difference in performance, they still have the same fps like before. It sure is baffling how only some players have this problem. Besides not being able to reproduce the problem, the other argument is that system requirements change over time.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I do agree that system requirements change over time, yet how could they explain that a 8-month old computer that was playing the game perfectly with high settings suddenly lags and sees a drop of FPS even when the settings are set to minimum?

This is certainly not a problem on my end, since my computer can still play other games with high settings. Also, it is not normal to have lags and low FPS at the same time as my friends because we live in different countries.

There is something wrong with their Chinese-ripped new system, but since they don’t know what they mixed, they don’t know what went wrong.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Sleepwalker.1398

Sleepwalker.1398

I have high temperatures too while playing GW2, more than another games. And I am not the only one, all my friends have this problem too and there is a lot of reports in the forum about this issue. No damage in hardware for the moment.

From my part I ain’t going to buy anything related with Arenanet in the future. Tech support in this game is awful, one of the worst I ever seen. I have no hope about a solution. I think I should aim to another game.

Just came across this thread while i was trying to find if there is anything in forums for lag. I can confirm seeing some temp issue to my system only with GW2. Specs below
i5 4570
8gb Ram
Sapphire Vapor R9 280×.

The videocard used to have a temp of just around 46-49 degrees celsius. It now goes between 55-59 degrees celsius. Nothing has been added or removed from pc.

About the lag, i notice this most when playing thief and also while in Divinty’s reach. For thief if i do just for test, dagger/pistol hit 5 then 2, i should be in stealth. There is a delay and sometimes it doesn’t even stealth. Divinity’s Reach, when running i feel like the ground seems like pausing every few seconds. Not sure how to best explain it, running in open world is fine. Its just those brick type floor in Divinity cause pauses.

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I know some people notice no difference in performance, they still have the same fps like before. It sure is baffling how only some players have this problem. Besides not being able to reproduce the problem, the other argument is that system requirements change over time.

I’ll have to fault your second argument, there, because while system requirements generally do change over time for MMOs, they do not change over the course of one patch unless the company has otherwise said they will. I’ll refer you to one of their blog posts about the upcoming feature pack that was made back in August:

Performance Updates

We‘re always working on the performance of the game with every update, but we have a big batch of improvements coming in this feature pack. We’ve changed the way many of the underlying systems work, making them more cost-effective, which will reduce how often players will be seeing issues caused by performance. This is most notable in large combat situations like WvW and at the PvE world boss events. These improvements affect both the server and client performance, so in these situations, you should see increased frame rates as well!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/september-2014-feature-pack-improvements-galore/

Can you point to me where they say that performance was somehow going to get worse?

ClaviculaNox.8762

WE WANT A GOD kitten UPDATE ON THIS STUPID SITUATION ANET!

Posted by: matiez.6498

matiez.6498

2-4 FPS, game is completely unplayable. Thanks ANet.

Edit: A little more background. Brand new PC: i7-4750K with a Radeon 7850. Brand new install of Windows. Only thing installed beyond updates and drivers is GW2.

Edit 2: Here’s the fix: Restart the PC and GW2 until the frames return to normal. Getting 84 FPS now.

(edited by matiez.6498)

ClaviculaNox.8762

We need an update on this issue!
Stop ignoring this thread

Posted by: Marrajo.2073

Marrajo.2073

This thread doesn’t exist in my country, so I feel realieved when I found this one (It’s a fool’s consolation to think everyone is in the same boat). Anyway, I have also tried all and this is the most nonsense issue I’ve ever seen on software; because I think the problem comes from an error on the gw2 code.

Sorry for my eng.

Edit: Are you all using W8/8.1???

(edited by Marrajo.2073)

ClaviculaNox.8762

This thread doesn’t exist in my country, so I feel realieved when I found this one (It’s a fool’s consolation to think everyone is in the same boat). Anyway, I have also tried all and this is the most nonsense issue I’ve ever seen on software; because I think the problem comes from an error on the gw2 code.

Sorry for my eng.

Yes most are using Windows 8/8.1

ANet we do need an update on this stupid situation!!
ARE you working on a FIX or no??
And WHEN!!!!!

urieldhynne.2743

I am using windows 7

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

I’ve had to completely stop using anything over worst graphics, even in pve, but today even worst graphics spvp (usually less resource intensive) my framerate went down so low it was hard to look at without feeling sick.

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

I don’t post in here much, but whatever went wrong definitely isn’t fixed yet.

I’m seeing low res character models that with my setting on high sometimes when I wp, even in low pop places that I map into.

Before the patch, the lowest I’d go in a T1 3-way WvW fight was between 30-40, more toward the 40 side. Now it’s more like 3-4 and big fights are out of the question.

Gyre Rapids waypoint, Timberline Falls. No one around, no events going on.

I turn my character to the west, FPS stutters and dips down to 11-12, then up to 38 when it should be more in the 90-120 range. Turn to the east, it steadily increases, but only to around 58 after stuttering again.

Everywhere I go now, it’s insanely unstable in one form or another, whether in a city, a low pop pve map, EotM and WvW. :/

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

ishotellet.7184

Windows 7 Here aswell

urieldhynne.2743

Well, after asking me to run like 6 programs to test my computer, they just close my ticket…

Anet you are the best ignoring the community.

VergilDeZaniah.3295

So a friend just tested his account on my computer (which is supposed to be the problem according to ANet). He uses his high settings (since I am forced to have the lowest ones to be able to play a tiny bit), and guess what?

Not the slightest delay with skills, not a single FPS drop, not a hiccup. NOTHING!

So ANet/Tech Support/anyone reading, is the problem still on my end?
Seems like I am not responsible for the problem, but rather your copy/paste of a conflicting client from Asia (since lag/FPS drop happened right when we first got things offered by the Chinese version…).

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: B Rad.5416

B Rad.5416

Would love an update, game is unplayable in big fights getting 1-3 fps. Can’t even really do regular pve content.

B Rad 80 Thief | Scrúbs 80 Guardian | Aquaholic 80 Elementalist |
Keyser Soze 80 Warrior | Muted 80 Mesmer | Crim De La Crim 80 Necro |
Server: Jade Quarry

ishotellet.7184

Would love an update, game is unplayable in big fights getting 1-3 fps. Can’t even really do regular pve content.

Yep we all do but we’re still getting ignored.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Yep we all do but we’re still getting ignored.

You can buy a $2000 computer and get maybe 10fps more….
GW2 is still the most terribly optimized game in history.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Kyramel.9261

Kyramel.9261

I’m exactly in the same situation as all of you. My fps and being able to play went away overnight. I have a pretty new computer that I just built that is doing the same thing. I was perfectly fine before the last patch at everything at high settings. There are times when between gw2 and the new bl process’s, that it is eating up 80-90% of my cpu and making it run really hot. I am not frying my cpu due to this game no matter the love I have for it.

Now – I only log in to see if anything has changed :/ I didn’t even bother putting in a ticket seeing as everyone else that has is getting told to troubleshoot and then get closed tickets.

Anet please fix this – I really miss this game – Glad we just bought a new console to help me ease my gw2 addiction for a little while tho :/

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

So a friend just tested his account on my computer (which is supposed to be the problem according to ANet). He uses his high settings (since I am forced to have the lowest ones to be able to play a tiny bit), and guess what?

Not the slightest delay with skills, not a single FPS drop, not a hiccup. NOTHING!

Seems like I am not responsible for the problem, but rather your copy/paste of a conflicting client from Asia (since lag/FPS drop happened right when we first got things offered by the Chinese version…).

I suggest trying the reverse as well – your account on his computer.

Or words to that effect.

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I tried, and it’s laggy and I have FPS problems…

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Marrajo.2073

Marrajo.2073

Guys, can you check with GPU-Z your “Bus Interface” parameter?

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2398/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-9/mirrors

Mine it’s like “PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0” when game runs well, and “PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x1 2.0” when game fails.

ClaviculaNox.8762

ANet RESPOND FFS!!!!!!

Labjax.2465

I tried, and it’s laggy and I have FPS problems…

Interesting. I was wondering about this and unless I’m forgetting some obvious variable, the implications would be that the problem is account-specific.

That narrows things down to an extent, if they haven’t already done so. Problem is all the variables that could be involved in a specific account. Argh, if only I had the data to look for commonalities. I think that’s what they should be focusing on to find this problem.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: B Rad.5416

B Rad.5416

Mine it’s like “PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0” when game runs well, and “PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x1 2.0” when game fails.

My bus interface is N/A. Any suggestions?

Attachments:

B Rad 80 Thief | Scrúbs 80 Guardian | Aquaholic 80 Elementalist |
Keyser Soze 80 Warrior | Muted 80 Mesmer | Crim De La Crim 80 Necro |
Server: Jade Quarry

Ark Bladesteele.2943

My bus interface is N/A. Any suggestions?

You’re using integrated graphics, laptop maybe? You may not have a PCI-E slot. Either way, it wouldn’t matter if you were only using the IGPU.

Posted by: Chad.9038

Chad.9038

ArenaNet Engine Team Lead

We’ve been taking this performance issue very seriously and have spent the last few weeks trying to isolate the various causes you guys are experiencing.

Performance is very tricky because there are so many variables as to why the game could be running poorly, especially if it used to run fine. It hasn’t been affecting everybody and some of the folks experiencing issues have found them to be due to outside forces such as poor hardware cooling. We know this is a real issue from the things you guys have posted here and have been trying to find the root of the problem. Simply put, it’s been taking time to identify what the issues could be and trying to reproduce them in-house has proven quite elusive.

We’ve identified a number of serious issues some of which were introduced into the 9/9 build and have code changes on the way to address them. We don’t expect it to fix everyone’s performance problems but we certainly hope it will help the majority of you on this thread. I will follow up when the code changes go live and hope that you guys will report back as to whether they are making a difference or not.

I want to give props to you guys for helping each other out and providing helpful insight into this problem. I know it can be really frustrating, it is for us too so please bear with us. We sincerely want to make your playing experience the best we can.

ishotellet.7184

We’ve been taking this performance issue very seriously and have spent the last few weeks trying to isolate the various causes you guys are experiencing.

Well you could have informed us about this instead of not saying anything at all. I’m not bashing on you, just saying.

It hasn’t been affecting everybody and some of the folks experiencing issues have found them to be due to outside forces such as poor hardware cooling. We know this is a real issue from the things you guys have posted here and have been trying to find the root of the problem. Simply put, it’s been taking time to identify what the issues could be and trying to reproduce them in-house has proven quite elusive.

I havn’t got any cooling problems just the straight up low fps even with everything @ lowest and AA, High res textures, Shadows etc turned off. Used to run it @ Med-High settings without any problems at all.

I will follow up when the code changes go live and hope that you guys will report back as to whether they are making a difference or not.

Thanks for the comment and i really hope the changes will help some of the people!

Labjax.2465

Performance is very tricky because there are so many variables as to why the game could be running poorly, especially if it used to run fine. It hasn’t been affecting everybody and some of the folks experiencing issues have found them to be due to outside forces such as poor hardware cooling. We know this is a real issue from the things you guys have posted here and have been trying to find the root of the problem. Simply put, it’s been taking time to identify what the issues could be and trying to reproduce them in-house has proven quite elusive.

We’ve identified a number of serious issues some of which were introduced into the 9/9 build and have code changes on the way to address them. We don’t expect it to fix everyone’s performance problems but we certainly hope it will help the majority of you on this thread. I will follow up when the code changes go live and hope that you guys will report back as to whether they are making a difference or not.

I want to give props to you guys for helping each other out and providing helpful insight into this problem. I know it can be really frustrating, it is for us too so please bear with us. We sincerely want to make your playing experience the best we can.

Thanks for the heads up, Chad. I will be keeping an eye out for the changes.

P. S. No Red tag! :P You need to get one…

Or words to that effect.

rojak.1894

Thank you very much for responding Chad! I’m glad it’s being worked on. Any idea if code fixes might go live in the next feature patch or when Living Story comes back?

Posted by: Chad.9038

Chad.9038

ArenaNet Engine Team Lead

Thank you very much for responding Chad! I’m glad it’s being worked on. Any idea if code fixes might go live in the next feature patch or when Living Story comes back?

We are shooting for the next non-hotfix release.

ishotellet.7184

We are shooting for the next non-hotfix release.

Nice! Thanks alot for the updates.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Agreed. I just realized he was Chad because his post wasn’t a bunch of whining :P

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Oli.3410

Oli.3410

May I ask you when the “next non-hotfix release” will be? so I know when it is worth to log in again ?

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

Probably next Tuesday, Halloween.

Posted by: IHateMrCats.3201

IHateMrCats.3201

Thank you for the update.

Posted by: Chad Taylor.3487

Previous

Chad Taylor.3487

Lead Graphics Programmer

Next

Agreed. I just realized he was Chad because his post wasn’t a bunch of whining :P

100% legit now