FPS Issue with the 9/9 patch [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: whoknows.7968

whoknows.7968

Im also having FPS issues since last patch (9/9) , i was having between 25-30 FPS in ARAH before patch.. and now is around 10-15 FPS max.. is soo sad!!

Well i hope Anet fix this problem please.. i dont like to play like this.

Posted by: SirKomar.2094

SirKomar.2094

Im also having FPS issues since last patch (9/9) , i was having between 25-30 FPS in ARAH before patch.. and now is around 10-15 FPS max.. is soo sad!!

Well i hope Anet fix this problem please.. i dont like to play like this.

Same with me, I have around 13 fps in kitten Queensdale now.

whoknows.7968

UP UP!!! People need to see this thread, and this needs to be on TOP PRIORITY.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

P. S. No Red tag! :P You need to get one…

Agreed. I just realized he was Chad because his post wasn’t a bunch of whining :P

100% legit now

Right on!

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: ClaviculaNox.8762

ClaviculaNox.8762

Will todays patch include the FIX or no?

I’m not Obsessed , I’m POSSESSED!

whoknows.7968

Will todays patch include the FIX or no?

I Hope so.. finger cross

Posted by: MookySnacks.8532

MookySnacks.8532

Bump***

Also thanks Chad for the response and heads up. Being the brother of a designer myself, I understand that you must be as frustrated as the players to see your game having issues. I appreciate your honesty and work to fix this issue and hope to be able to return to the game with this coming patch.

Posted by: arjov.8649

arjov.8649

patched aaaaaaaaand ? no fix at my fps -.- not in wvw at least

(edited by arjov.8649)

Posted by: Chad Taylor.3487

Previous

Chad Taylor.3487

Lead Graphics Programmer

Next

We’ve identified a number of serious issues some of which were introduced into the 9/9 build and have code changes on the way to address them. We don’t expect it to fix everyone’s performance problems but we certainly hope it will help the majority of you on this thread. I will follow up when the code changes go live and hope that you guys will report back as to whether they are making a difference or not.

Fixes have gone live. Please report back if it affects any of the issues you guys are experiencing.

SirKomar.2094

It’s still the same.
Aww i don’t want to miss this halloween stuff.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Fixes have gone live. Please report back if it affects any of the issues you guys are experiencing.

Though I stopped having FPS issues like 3 days after the last featured pack, the game definitely runs smoothly.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

arjov.8649

ehm , button for “high” texture settings is grayed out together with high character textures… is this your magic fix? no seriously are you trying to scale the graphic this way?

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

The stuttering continue. No fix for me. And I notice a small fps drop in pve now with shaders in medium (just fps drop, without stuttering) the stuttering is with other players in the screen even with all in low.

Well… keep us inform about the upcoming fix, I am going to play archeage, works better for me right now.

Posted by: MookySnacks.8532

MookySnacks.8532

So far so good for me. I’ll re post if anything changes.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Game now runs smooth for me even at low frame rates (when doing events with a lot of people).

I can certainly tell that changes have been made and I appreciate it

Posted by: TokyoGhost.6492

TokyoGhost.6492

“High-res character textures” is greyed out and unable to change(check or uncheck). Also, “Textures:” field is empty, making me be able select only medium and low.

What is the meaning of this anet?!!!!!!!!!!

I made so much mistakes that I now make mistakes without mistake.

(edited by TokyoGhost.6492)

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

^ Same story. What gives?

arjov.8649

Same for me, i opened a new thread fot this issue too.

SirKomar.2094

It’s still the same.

Nevermind, now it’s seems to work a lot faster than before.
Thanks a lot.

TokyoGhost.6492

It’s still the same.

Nevermind, now it’s seems to work a lot faster than before.
Thanks a lot.

Auto-login is still broken. And I don’t call this a patch without good explanation.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Auto-login is still broken.

Right click on your Guild Wars 2 shortcut and select ‘Properties’.
In the ‘Target Area’ field you will see the location of your Guild Wars 2 executable file:
…\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe
Write -autologin beginning with a space:
“…\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -autologin

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Raikirih.3091

Raikirih.3091

Stuttering and FPS issues gone, at least for me.

Previous

Chad Taylor.3487

Lead Graphics Programmer

Next

ehm , button for “high” texture settings is grayed out together with high character textures… is this your magic fix? no seriously are you trying to scale the graphic this way?

“High-res character textures” is greyed out and unable to change(check or uncheck). Also, “Textures:” field is empty, making me be able select only medium and low.

What is the meaning of this anet?

This was intended…sort of. “High-res character textures” will no longer be available for low performance CPUs(most dual core) since it can be incredibly demanding on performance; on CPUs like these it will make the game unplayable. The grayed out texture quality bit was unintended and will be fixed.

This was a very minor part of the changes that went in, none of which I would qualify as “the magic fix”. As I mentioned it’s been incredibly difficult to ascertain what some of you are experiencing and thankfully our changes helped some of you, but for others it did not. We will keep working on it, chipping away at the issues we find.

Thanks all for your feedback and apologies for the hiccup. I will keep you posted if we find a smoking gun.

TokyoGhost.6492

This was intended…sort of. “High-res character textures” will no longer be available for low performance CPUs(most dual core) since it can be incredibly demanding on performance; on CPUs like these it will make the game unplayable. The grayed out texture quality bit was unintended and will be fixed.

This was a very minor part of the changes that went in, none of which I would qualify as “the magic fix”. As I mentioned it’s been incredibly difficult to ascertain what some of you are experiencing and thankfully our changes helped some of you, but for others it did not. We will keep working on it, chipping away at the issues we find.

Thanks all for your feedback and apologies for the hiccup. I will keep you posted if we find a smoking gun.

Well, at least we got our response; which I deeply respect. Just to confirm this Chad, blank tab under “Textures:” is part of “intended development fix” or bug?

Thanks in advance!

arjov.8649

Thankyou very much for your time, i can understand what you mean by neglecting high quality textures to dual cores, but my dual core is a g3258 running @ 4.8GHz. maybe you should be able to give users like me, well aware they have a dual core, but a dual core that cannot be seriously stressed by gw2 to reenable the feature. maybe a command to add in the launcher shortcut? just thinking.
By the way, stuttering issue is less present in pve, but still present in WvW. i get solid 60 fps (obviously v-sync on. without i get 130-180) almost in all pve events at best appearance (35-45 at world bosses with 100+ ppl on screen) so the fixes you delivered are working quite good.
WvW is sadly still affected by the issue. in zerg fight, let’s say 30 vs 30 where i used to see 30-35 fps i’m still seeing 15-20 now.

thanks again for your work and your time

Previous

Chad Taylor.3487

Lead Graphics Programmer

Next

Well, at least we got our response; which I deeply respect. Just to confirm this Chad, blank tab under “Textures:” is part of “intended development fix” or bug?

Thanks in advance!

bug

Previous

Chad Taylor.3487

Lead Graphics Programmer

Next

If you are still seeing performance stuttering or fluctuations please try running the client with “-nosound” and let me know if it helps.

Labjax.2465

If you are still seeing performance stuttering or fluctuations please try running the client with “-nosound” and let me know if it helps.

Where do you put the “-nosound” to try it?

Or words to that effect.

Previous

Chad Taylor.3487

Lead Graphics Programmer

Next

Where do you put the “-nosound” to try it?

1. Create a new shortcut for Guild Wars 2 or make a copy the existing one with a different name.

2. Then right-click on it and select “properties”. A window should pop-up with a edit box titled “Target” that shows the Gw2.exe.

3. Add [ -nosound] after the exe without brackets. Make sure there is a space before the dash.

4. Click OK and launch the game with the shortcut.

5. Verify it worked by ensuring the game isn’t outputting audio.

Labjax.2465

1. Create a new shortcut for Guild Wars 2 or make a copy the existing one with a different name.

2. Then right-click on it and select “properties”. A window should pop-up with a edit box titled “Target” that shows the Gw2.exe.

3. Add [ -nosound] after the exe without brackets. Make sure there is a space before the dash.

4. Click OK and launch the game with the shortcut.

5. Verify it worked by ensuring the game isn’t outputting audio.

Ok, thanks.

So since the patch, I tried adjusting my character model settings beyond “lowest” and so far I think there is improvement to what I was experiencing before. I haven’t tried large-scale stuff yet, such as world bosses (I’ll report back if they are unplayable).

The -nosound adjustment appears to have made a difference. I ran around Mystic Plaza with and without, and the difference wasn’t huge, but I did notice that my FPS hovered at high 20s/low 30s with the adjustment and something like low 20s/high20s without it. If I recall correctly, the low point for with -nosound was roughly 4 FPS higher than without.

It’s a bit hard to tell for sure cause the spikes definitely happen most around people and I don’t have a static group of people to move in and around.

Anyway, appreciate the effort trying to track this stuff down. I will report back with anything pertinent I notice.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Ryuu.5608

Ryuu.5608

Well I didn’t had any issue yesterday, but today is a whole different story, I don’t know what exactly happened but my FPS lowered drastically (from 40-50fps most of the time to 5 -10fps) almost everywhere I go, doesn’t matter if its a less crowded area or not, it’s dreadful.

Posted by: Rahvin.5289

Rahvin.5289

Well I didn’t had any issue yesterday, but today is a whole different story, I don’t know what exactly happened but my FPS lowered drastically (from 40-50fps most of the time to 5 -10fps) almost everywhere I go, doesn’t matter if its a less crowded area or not, it’s dreadful.

I also logged in today and now my FPS has dropped dramatically. Prior to this, I run the game generally without any frame lag at all, even in high population WvW situations.

Ryuu.5608

I just uninstalled and re downloaded the game client, again, same results, I’m having from 5 to 10 fps, ironically, when I set my graphic options to auto-detect, everything sets up directly to High (which i don’t usually use since WvW can be extremely demanding), so if the game knows that my PC can handle it, then what’s happening? I’m seriously out of ideas..

I’ve tested other “demanding” games in my PC as well and I had no dramatic change with their FPS, it seems the problem is with GW2 exclusively, hope it can be resolved soon -_-.

Labjax.2465

I haven’t tried large-scale stuff yet, such as world bosses (I’ll report back if they are unplayable).

So far so good with these. Did some EotM zerg encounters and everything seemed ok. I’ve never had amazing FPS in those cases, but it’s always been playable (prior to the FPS issue) and it seems it is again now after the patch with character model settings above lowest (which is what I was able to use before).

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Meanie.3894

Meanie.3894

Launching with “-nosound” made a pretty huge difference for me! Went from 10-15 fps to 30-40 which is what I usually were having before the latest patch. Thanks!

Posted by: Dr Cynosure.1840

Dr Cynosure.1840

You say that low performance CPU’s no longer can use high-res textures, i completely understand. But what i don’t understand is why i can’t? I have a quad core CPU, it’s a Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz. I’ve been running the game fine for the last 2 years. Can you help me?

Attachments:

Posted by: Aeroprism.1576

Aeroprism.1576

Hello Chad,

I was also affected by the 9/9 patch and saw my game sink to 5 FPS. This last patch however fixed it and I am back to 35 FPS, thank you. I tried the -nosound option just for curiosity’s sake and it did not alter my current FPS rate.

I have a very solid video card and 8G of RAM but my CPU is a C2D so, my high res texture option was indeed greyed out. My rig runs Skyrim with high-res textures and other rather new games with full graphical options cranked up, no problem but I do know that some games depend more on the CPU than they do on the GPU; SWTOR was infamous for that. Since I’m not very good with noticing graphical differences, I can’t really say if the game looks better or worse than it did before 9/9 but I can say this: it runs smooth once more.

Thank you!!

Posted by: Vic.1402

Vic.1402

I was also having the FPS issue, tried to play yesterday, after 1~2 months without opening the game, and it was almost impossible. I thought it was because of some Nvidia recent updates (as i’m pretty sure there was an update not so long ago).
I also tried the -nosound option yesterday with no performance difference.

Today i just checked the game before leaving and it was running as normal again, with almost everything at highest configuration and running at 40~45 fps. It is sad that yesterday was my “day off” from university activities, but it’s good the be able to play again.

Thanks a lot! =]

Ryuu.5608

Just logged today, still having like 10fps or less on Rata Sum, suffice to say the game is totally unplayable no matter where I go, all my hopes reside on a new patch coming soon -.-

Posted by: Oli.3410

Oli.3410

Still FPS Issues.
I logged in and tought everything is fixed and fine, had no fps drops on high quality ( like before last patch).. took 5 mins in PVP to get a black screen and after that the fps drops were back.

Posted by: Cairo.9361

Cairo.9361

After taking a month off, came back to these FPS issues (4-12 FPS) that weren’t there previously. Tried everything including lowest settings, -repair, -nosound, new video drivers, etc…to have no change at all to the framerate. Other highly demanding games play just fine.

Did notice the only time the framerate went up was directly facing a portal with a gain of about 15-20. Pan the camera 180 degrees and back to unplayable.

The other thing I found, and don’t know if it’s some of the problem, is my latency to the GuildWars servers:

Image Remote Address Packet Loss Latency
Gw2.exe 64.25.38.54 0 220
Gw2.exe 64.25.40.122 0 220
Gw2.exe 64.25.38.170 0 60

The servers are supposedly in Dallas, and I’m only 200 miles away from Dallas, but the latency is around what the oceanic players are reporting. Speedtest gives me an average ping of 20ms to Dallas.

Any guess is worth a shot after the ridiculous fix for “0×082243′: Failed to resolve AimIK bone indices” crashes which was set the speakers to the actual speakers and not “default”.

Previous

Chad Taylor.3487

Lead Graphics Programmer

Next

You say that low performance CPU’s no longer can use high-res textures, i completely understand. But what i don’t understand is why i can’t? I have a quad core CPU, it’s a Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz. I’ve been running the game fine for the last 2 years. Can you help me?

Your processor is dual core with hyper-threading. In Windows Task Manager this appears as 4 boxes but its not actually 4 cores, just 4 hardware threads. The texture quality drop down fix is on the way so you will at least be able to use “High” textures again.

urieldhynne.2743

Your improvement was “disabling high textures” for low end pc?

I understand now why nothing changed for me. Next time I can save time just disabling it. No patch needed.

(edited by urieldhynne.2743)

urieldhynne.2743

With -nosound nothing change for me. Still with stuttering, please don’t release a patch with disabled sound for low-end CPU.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

This is probably not the best solution though, as there are players who don’t do mass events or WvW and would like to see high-rez character textures on, in their, say, dungeon runs, PvP etc.

Posted by: Aronnas.5731

Aronnas.5731

Please Anet, just stop messing around with settings or telling people to try this and that. It is pointless as it is a waste of time, let alone it fixes things up for a minor percentage of players, leaving others with problems. I, as a gamer, love the game as it is, even if it doesn’t perform well most of the time. My problem is that I do not see any point in talking about lowering our system settings or turn sounds off to play a game that should perform with 60 fps on a simple dual core system with an old graphics card. I do believe that we would all appreciate some honesty, at long last, to wether the performance issues of the game are going to be addressed or not. Simple as that. Yes, players with 2.5k+ dollars systems do enjoy ( most of the time ) the full experience of this game performance-wise but the vast majority of players cannot afford such computers, therefore having issues. I know, it is a CPU bound game, old DX9 API and such but, please, just an honest answer. So that we know what we are dealing with here.

Thank you in advance.

Posted by: Tkwan.9054

Tkwan.9054

Whatever you did with the latest patch yesterday, it worked for me. Thanks much for fixing things and making this playable again.

Posted by: Cairo.9361

Cairo.9361

Found an “are you f-ing kidding ArenaNet!?!?!” fix for my fps issues that came with the update:

I physically removed my second xfired video card from my computer, and the game went back to playing seamlessly. The framerate went back to normal for my system. No more 4-11 fps.

While it is a solution, it is not an acceptable fix to have to downgrade to play Guild Wars, then upgrade to play other games.

I already know that Guild Wars won’t use dual cards, but to quit working properly when there’s a second one installed. Really ArenaNet?…Really?

Anyhow, hope this helps some of ya’s to play again until they can fix stuff.

Posted by: SaccharineBliss.1975

SaccharineBliss.1975

Oh kitten . Are you serious? I have a laptop that uses Optimus technology (an integrated card when I’m using low performance tasks, and then a discrete card that kicks on automatically when high performance tasks are being used). These can be notoriously difficult to manage around because it’s all done under the hood and they don’t really give you much control over it and for whatever reason I don’t have it in my BIOS options to switch it off, so if the two cards is really a problem – like I’ve heard from other places too – I wonder if that includes systems like these and not just xfires.

Posted by: ishotellet.7184

ishotellet.7184

No changes for me, still the silly low fps even with everything @ Lowest and i tried the -nosound which had no effect. I guess this was the last so called “fix” we’ll see ;/.