FPS - this game is broken

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

This is an absolute load of horsekitten. There’s nothing wrong with my computer, connection or the settings in the game. I’ve done a bunch of research, read a bunch of forums, watched some videos, sifted through files on my computer and come to the conclusion that it’s nothing but the game that’s broken.

It used to run very smoothly. Now, at completely random times, the FPS will plummet to 4 or 5 and will stay there until I restart my entire computer. Sometimes it’ll happen immediately, sometimes it won’t happen for up to an hour. But it always eventually happens. I’ve been playing for only a month and have no where near gotten my money’s worth out of this game yet… If it had broken a few months down the road I wouldn’t be so upset, but I enjoy this game very much and would like to continue playing. With this FPS drop however, I can’t do so. Combat, travelling, just about anything in the game is next to impossible because of how badly the FPS will drop even in low populated areas or when I’m not even MOVING.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game just for good measure, and that didn’t fix it. I tried the “repair” method today, and that did absolutely nothing… I’ve done all I can do and have avoided jumping to any kind of conclusions. I’ve sent in a ticket, I’ve been patient, and it’s still. kittening. Broken.

I apologize for my tone, ANet, but please… Respond to my ticket and/or this post, and help me to resolve this issue. I’m not the only one who has suffered this and it’s about time something is done.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: sobe.4157

sobe.4157

Just so people are aware and will be able to help, what are your computer specs to begin with?

3770k 4.9ghz | Koolance 380i | NexXxoS XT45 | XSPC D5 Photon | ASUS MVFormula |
Mushkin Black 16gb 1600 | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo |2×2TB CavBlack| GALAX 980 SoC |
NZXT Switch 810 | Corsair HX850 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Beyerdynamic T90

SpellOfIniquity.1780

It isn’t the computer. I’ve seen many, many complaints about this happening to others who are using very high end computers, some even using computers that are built specifically for gaming.
I checked before I got this game and my computer fell just short of supporting the game. I figured I’d try it anyway so a friend let me borrow his disk and I created an account when the free trials were out. It ran extremely well and I was surprised I hadn’t run in to any problems. I’m not a computer expert so I wasn’t sure whether it would barely work or not work at all but it wound up doing much better than I had anticipated.
There’s no reason the quality would just suddenly drop so steeply because of my computer. I find it unlikely that it’s coincidence that this started happening right after the Halloween update. Not to mention that everything else on the computer is working at the same rate it always has.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Fine you don’t want help, you want to complain. Enjoy.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: sobe.4157

sobe.4157

The reason you are being asked for your specs is not whether your pc is capable or modern, but to be able to understand your personal issue and what hardware you are running for that issue.

Next time you ask for help and someone asks for your computer specs, kitten just tell them, don’t act like a complete kitten .

3770k 4.9ghz | Koolance 380i | NexXxoS XT45 | XSPC D5 Photon | ASUS MVFormula |
Mushkin Black 16gb 1600 | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo |2×2TB CavBlack| GALAX 980 SoC |
NZXT Switch 810 | Corsair HX850 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Beyerdynamic T90

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

Fine you don’t want help, you want to complain. Enjoy.

+1

So, you complain that the game is broken and though you openly admit to not knowing much about computers, you know because you read online that other people have problems with the game (which most are software/hardware conflict) it is not your computer, and don’t want to give any info about your setup or details on you problem etc and also admit that your computer does not meet minimum spec.

Yet you still want to post in the support forum and complain? Please take it else where.

It isn’t the computer….my computer fell just short of supporting the game.

Cracks me up.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

SpellOfIniquity.1780

“I apologize for my tone, ANet.”

Sorry, guys! I never asked for your help. This was directed towards the company, not you. But ’preciate the input, even if it was completely useless.

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

Sorry, guys! I never asked for your help. This was directed towards the company, not you. But ’preciate the input, even if it was completely useless.

You asked for help by posting in the support forum. If you have something to tell the company, email them.

Our input was only as useless as the supplied information we had to work with.

Posted by: zerk.9701

zerk.9701

Heat throttles down performance, rebooting clears the heat, the heat builds back up, PC throttles again killing performance.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

It isn’t the computer.
I checked before I got this game and my computer fell just short of supporting the game.

Sorry but if ur computer fell short, then i can only imagine the specs ur actually running. At which point i will say, its simply likely down to ur rig.

The Halloween and other event updates usualy add a fair chunk of content that will affect performance. Even a rig like my own will show a drop in performance in a city like LA during such events due to the added effects and also the increase in population during such times.
if ur computer is so old/low end that it doesnt even meet the requirments, then such an event will be catastrophic on the performance you get with such a PC.

Give us the specs of ur rig and we can confirm or exlude this as the issue.

As others have mentioned, it could well be an onverheaitng issue, low end rigs even if they are able to play a game, can somtimes not handle extended use and thus overheat and you get lowered performance.

I hate to single you out here, however i will still say that it is becouse of people such as urself that stick with low end systems and expect to be able to game on them, that has made game developers slow down in their attempts to further advancement in software and thus push hardware.
Instead we get games that just have to be playable on PC over 5 years old, which is just silly, such games do not push the limits and so hardware developers have no need to produce better products as fast as they used to.
Im afraid u need a reality check, PC gaming isnt cheap. A low end ‘gaming’ machine will still need updating every 2 years, a Mid end ‘gaming’ machine will need an updated within 3 years, and a Top end rig likely within 4.

keyword ‘gaming’ , meaning it has a dedicated gaming grade GPU like a 550ti/hd7770 (low end), and a strong enough CPU for most games, like a FX4XXX or 2nd gen or newer i5. CPU intensive games like GW2 would requir atleast a FX8XXX or Higher end i5 or i7.

So with respect, if ur not willing to understand the basics of computer hardware and front the bill for constant upgrades, then PC gaming isnt for u.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

SpellOfIniquity.1780

This is under “View basic information about your computer.”

ASUS
Windows 8
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.89 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
I also have 210GB free of 258 on my D drive and 144 of 186GB on my C drive which I don’t use. I had my GW2 files saved on my D drive.

Yes… I stated that it fell short of supporting the game. But again, I see no reason for it to suddenly have such a steep decline in quality. When sending the company a ticket, I had mentioned that I thought it may be a result of the latest seasonal patch, so I’ve already taken that in to consideration.
I’ve also already mentioned that the FPS will drop no matter where I am/what I’m doing. It will work nice and steady for a period of time, sometimes a while sometimes immediately, then it will drop to 4 or 5 and stay there. Thinking it was my computer was the first thing that came to mind… But after having read all these other complaints about the same thing happening to people on all different sorts of operating systems leads me to believe it isn’t my computer.
If you all would like to continue blaming my specs though you’re very welcome to do so. I’m not the kind of person who will avoid admitting when he’s wrong, so show me something I can’t deny or bug off.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

OK cool.
So first off, im ether blind or u havnt listed ur dedicated GPU.

Sudden extreme drops in FPS can sontimes be caused by ur VRAM buffer being used up, when that hapens the system has to start using system RAM and swaping out data between the VRAM, this has a dramatic effect on performance causing temporary drops in FPS till the data is buffed into the VRAM, if the VRAM stays constantly used up and constant swaping is needed, the performance stays low.

If ur running the IGPU on the 2328m CPU, then that would explain alot. The HD3000 intel GPU is not meant for gaming, its specificaly there so that a system can be built purely for very casual non gaming use.
Another thing to note is that the 2382m is not a true quad core and its also a laptop/mobile CPU and such CPU’s are not as strong as their Desktop equivalent. Meaning in places that are busy in GW2, like LA, ur not only going to have a higher load on ur GPU, but also a much higher load on the CPU, causing it to bog down. However the issue ur specificaly describing sounds GPU bassed.

Now im not saying its impossible that it could be somthing else, but its HIGHLEY likely that the issue u are now experiancing has been triggered by the increased load of the seasonal patch, and ur system just cant handle it.

One other thing it could be, is since ur using a laptop9and a non gaming one at that), u might be overheating, causing ur system to throttleback and thus lowering ur performance. Pushing a non gaming laptop so hardp laying a game, and for extended use, can easily overwhelm the cooling. Install some monitoring software ot measure ur temps to see if this is the case.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

Posted by: Strider.1827

Strider.1827

Well to be honest I also have some issues with the game and I do think they are engine related.

Computer Parts:

CPU: 3930K @ 4.8Ghz
GPU: Titan SLI @ 1207Mhz
MB: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator @ 2133Mhz
and last but not least SSD: Samsung Pro 512Gb

My current OS is Win 8.1 Pro…. should have stayed with Win 7… anyhow I do see substencial fps drops while doing Tequatle or like you stated in LA.

My current problem is that I do not undertand why they cannot update there engine or the directx components. Both my GPU’s are using 30% AT MAX……. so yes all of your comments regarding heavy cpu usage is correct but that begs to ask the question why is there engine so out of date I know its not wow where millions of people pay a monthly fee but they should have had enough time to figure out the engine ,its in there best interest and if people just stand by and take it like it is nothing will ever change… even my cpu is not completly stressed out. I think last time I checked two ore three cores where under load the rest was idle.

Sincerly

Strider

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s not out of date, just not tuned for maximum performance, especially at the stage when loads of players are present.

Drawback of home brewed Vs licensed.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

It’s no secret there’s an FPS issue with the game. When I first got the game and, up until July this year, everything ran as smooth as silk.

Then: wham. My FPS fell through the floor. I jumped through all the hoops Anet asked me to but to no avail. In fact, they actually stated there was no reason why I should’ve seen the frame rate drop I had. In the end, it came down to reinstalling Windows and/or a new GPU. I have done neither which was my decision.

Now, I have the game started using the -forwardrenderer switch which I’ve been espousing for a while now. It’s not perfect. But it helps me although there’s no guaranty it will work for you. Worth checking out though.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Hm… Well I see again that there are others who have experienced similar problems. This is unfortunate and I feel for those that have had this issue. It’s a pain in the behind.
It’s an obvious possibility that it is my computer that isn’t functioning properly and not the game. However due to the high volume of others that have had the same problem and with better computers, even in some cases worse, I find so unlikely.
I don’t plan to make any alterations to my system to support the game. I’ll look further in to it and if it happens to be my computer that’s the problem then I won’t continue to complain or to attempt to play. If my computer is fine, I’ll be giving ANet a phone call. Not that me doing so will change anything, but I’d rather take some form of action than to just feel like I’ve thrown my money out the window.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Hm… Well I see again that there are others who have experienced similar problems. This is unfortunate and I feel for those that have had this issue. It’s a pain in the behind.
It’s an obvious possibility that it is my computer that isn’t functioning properly and not the game. However due to the high volume of others that have had the same problem and with better computers, even in some cases worse, I find so unlikely.
I don’t plan to make any alterations to my system to support the game. I’ll look further in to it and if it happens to be my computer that’s the problem then I won’t continue to complain or to attempt to play. If my computer is fine, I’ll be giving ANet a phone call. Not that me doing so will change anything, but I’d rather take some form of action than to just feel like I’ve thrown my money out the window.

You may want to give SolarNova’s answer another read, it’s all valid. For reference, if you don’t have a dedicated graphics card and are in fact running the Intel HD 3000, you will never see more than 20fps on that thing. I helped a friend fix up her computer best possible, I could get 18fps in game when she was doing nothing in a random PvE area.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

You are confused about other peoples problems.

The people who are having trouble with highend systems are getting well more than playable FPS, just not what they were expecting with such a system, which comes down to the game not making use of all the resources it has, which is not your case. In your case the game is trying to use MORE resources than the system has. Knowing now that it is a laptop makes the overheating suggestion the best case, laptops never run at a given clock speed, and even the ones listed as max are for a single core for a short time, the cooling setup on a normal, nongaming laptop is poor at best, and under heavy work loads will throttle down the CPU clock, seeing as you probably have no dedicated GPU in the laptop and the iGPU is built into the CPU die, that adds even more heat to the chip.

Also, minimum spec just means it will run the game, not that it will be “playable” or enjoyable. You have a system that does not even meet that, so you really have nothing to complain about.

You might be able to get back to the performance you had before by cleaning out the laptop (for dust etc), but this would require taking the laptop apart, or making sure its on a nice cooling pad when playing.

Posted by: Domner.3547

Domner.3547

One other thing it could be, is since ur using a laptop9and a non gaming one at that), u might be overheating, causing ur system to throttleback and thus lowering ur performance. Pushing a non gaming laptop so hardp laying a game, and for extended use, can easily overwhelm the cooling. Install some monitoring software ot measure ur temps to see if this is the case.

This indeed seems like a very likely case, GW2 is very CPU heavy and what you describe where it will run fine for a while and then slow down seems like exactly what would happen if the CPU is overheating. It runs well to begin with and then when heat builds up it will cause the CPU to slow down, and when you restart the game you “fix” it by giving the CPU cooler a brief period to catch up and cool things down.