For a new PC: GTX670 or ATI7950 ??

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Brimlor.8741

Brimlor.8741

Q:

Hi all,

I want to buy the new PC in the next few days.
Can i get recommendations regarding the best GFX card that will support mainly this game but also others ( currently Borderlands2 & XCOM) ?

Thanks

Posted by: dacooli.6712

dacooli.6712

Hi all,

Can i get recommendations regarding the best GFX card that will support mainly this game but also others ( currently Borderlands2 & XCOM) ?

Thanks

I got gtx 680 and I got issues in this game but overall it’s amazing, for games like Borderlands 2. I get for the most part 90-150 FPS there but can dip even to 40 ive seen, but my normal drops is reasonable enough, 50-70 (note that these 40s drops are only in big physx explosive combat fights). It’s a beautiful game, but with the ati card you won’t be able to play with physx, without a good processor. I would recommend the GTX card in this case AND a good processor since i7 3770 gave 14 more fps than i5 2500 in benchmarks, stock, but if you clock the i5 2500 to 4,5 it will perform like a 3,9 3770 in gaming. Good luck with Borderlands 2, it’s a really great game!

Posted by: majestic.8129

majestic.8129

I would go for the GTX670 personally it has a pretty large advantage in certain games: Benchmarks

Posted by: Brimlor.8741

Brimlor.8741

Thanks, for CPU i will order the i5 3570K.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Even though GW2 is having issues with people 600 series cards i would recommend team green (Nvidia). There cards although more expensive are overall better.

As for that physX thing. Have your physx set to cpu, you get better performance than trying it run it of you gpu. Specialy if you have a OC i5 or i7.
I personaly would choose a Sandybridge – E over an Ivybridge ..since they overclokc better, their top end speeds are insane….but they do cost more.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: spacecraft.4968

spacecraft.4968

Hi all,

Thanks

I got gtx 680 and I got issues in this game but overall it’s amazing, for games like Borderlands 2. I get for the most part 90-150 FPS there but can dip even to 40 ive seen, but my normal drops is reasonable enough, 50-70 (note that these 40s drops are only in big physx explosive combat fights). It’s a beautiful game, but with the ati card you won’t be able to play with physx, without a good processor. I would recommend the GTX card in this case AND a good processor since i7 3770 gave 14 more fps than i5 2500 in benchmarks, stock, but if you clock the i5 2500 to 4,5 it will perform like a 3,9 3770 in gaming. Good luck with Borderlands 2, it’s a really great game!

Your CPU claims are really wrong. i7 3770 does not give that much of a performance gain in games. At best in games you MIGHT see a 10% increase in FPS. Where it does make a difference is in applications that take advantage of hyperthreading, which no games do.

If you’re just gaming, I’d say go with the i5 2500k. It will save you money and is overkill for any game on the market. Put that money you’re saving into a better GPU.

The 670 will also handle anything you throw at it, and has decent overclocking headroom. Go 670 and i5-2500k and you’re going to run any game on max settings and save $200+ over going with the i7-3770k and the 680. Hell the 670 might be overkill too. You could save even more by getting the 660ti and having marginally worse performance.

If you want to do any video recording or streaming, an i7 is going to perform a bit better. I however have had no issues streaming/recording 1080 or editing 1080 footage on my i5 2500k and dual 670s.

Even though GW2 is having issues with people 600 series cards i would recommend team green (Nvidia). There cards although more expensive are overall better.

As for that physX thing. Have your physx set to cpu, you get better performance than trying it run it of you gpu. Specialy if you have a OC i5 or i7.
I personaly would choose a Sandybridge – E over an Ivybridge ..since they overclokc better, their top end speeds are insane….but they do cost more.

Oh my goodness, no. Do not set PhysX to run on the CPU. Even with an i5 or i7, the GPU will handle it better than the CPU.

(edited by spacecraft.4968)

dacooli.6712

yes, it gave 14 fps difference in Borderlands 2 and when i overclocked my i5 2500k from 3.3 to 4.2 i got 50 fps in gw2. It does affect certain games, and no gtx 670 and i5 2500k wont max all games, like witcher 2 with supersampling, GTA IV it will struggle with, it won’t max sleeping dogs with extreme AA, not metro either. so dont give false info.

spacecraft.4968

yes, it gave 14 fps difference in Borderlands 2 and when i overclocked my i5 2500k from 3.3 to 4.2 i got 50 fps in gw2. It does affect certain games, and no gtx 670 and i5 2500k wont max all games, like witcher 2 with supersampling, GTA IV it will struggle with, it won’t max sleeping dogs with extreme AA, not metro either. so dont give false info.

Terrible choice of games to list friend.

Witcher 2 doesn’t run well on any config with ubersampling. Ubersampling is a joke.
GTA IV is the epitome of a bad port, everyone knows this. Despite that, I ran it very well on my i5 2500k first with a 6950, then dual 6950s, then a 670 and then dual 670s.
Sleeping Dogs has a bug with the extreme AA setting, they’ve said so on the forums. Besides that, it’s almost the same thing as ubersampling which is not usable unless you’re running 2 690s in SLI rollseyes
Metro 2033 is also known for being a really poorly optimized game.

Even with my two 670s Metro doesn’t run amazingly, and I get maybe 30-40 FPS average in The Witcher 2 with ubersampling on. None of those games ever max out my CPU because the CPU isn’t bottlenecking.

I used to run a single 670 and my i5-2500k, and never had trouble with any games. That includes Guild Wars 2. "Unless he’s planning on using a 3D monitor, he doesn’t need to go above 60 FPS.

Listen, there are tons of “i5 vs i7” threads on tomshardware.com and the outcome is always the same; stick with the i5 if you’re gaming because the performance gains from the i7 are marginal if any. I’m not sure why you’re so set on getting the OP to waste his money.

If you were having trouble running games with your i5 and a 670/680, you were doing something wrong.

dacooli.6712

Witcher 2 doesn’t run well on any config with ubersampling. Ubersampling is a joke.
GTA IV is the epitome of a bad port, everyone knows this.
Sleeping Dogs has a bug with the extreme AA setting, they’ve said so on the forums. Besides that, it’s almost the same thing as ubersampling which is not usable unless you’re running 2 690s in SLI rollseyes

Even with my two 670s Metro doesn’t run amazingly, and I get maybe 30-40 FPS average in The Witcher 2 with ubersampling on. None of those games ever max out my CPU because the CPU isn’t bottlenecking.

I used to run a single 670 and my i5-2500k, and never had trouble with any games. That includes Guild Wars 2. "Unless he’s planning on using a 3D monitor, he doesn’t need to go above 60 FPS.

Listen, there are tons of “i5 vs i7” threads on tomshardware.com and the outcome is always the same; stick with the i5 if you’re gaming because the performance gains from the i7 are marginal if any. I’m not sure why you’re so set on getting the OP to waste his money.

I still dip to 20s in big zergs in WvW, so he can forget 60 FPS all the time.

spacecraft.4968

Crazy because I really rarely ever dip that low in WvW or even huge world events. I am running two 670s, but if the i5 was the problem that wouldn’t matter. The i5 always keeps up just fine.

dacooli.6712

Crazy because I really rarely ever dip that low in WvW or even huge world events. I am running two 670s, but if the i5 was the problem that wouldn’t matter. The i5 always keeps up just fine.

As I said, my small overclock gave me massive improvement, like 50 FPS in pve and alot of stability. so this game is very cpu dependent.

spacecraft.4968

As I said, my small overclock gave me massive improvement, like 50 FPS in pve and alot of stability. so this game is very cpu dependent.

This is true, the game is very CPU dependent. It will not be that way forever though. A big part of it is bad GPU support, especially for the new 600 cards. They have said it’s going to be resolved at some point.

dacooli.6712

This is true, the game is very CPU dependent. It will not be that way forever though. A big part of it is bad GPU support, especially for the new 600 cards. They have said it’s going to be resolved at some point.

.. No they said that they’re lookin’ into it, SWTOR did aswell and it just got fixed like 2 weeks ago.

spacecraft.4968

.. No they said that they’re lookin’ into it, SWTOR did aswell and it just got fixed like 2 weeks ago.

Anet is not Bioware lol. Nvidia also needs to improve drivers. These cards are using a new architecture, and it takes time to get drivers out that use the cards correctly. Same thing is going on with AMD’s 7000 cards.

dacooli.6712

Nvidia said that they can’t do anything else to optimize the game with drivers and that they recommend overclocking CPU since it’s very cpu heavy and not very GPU heavy. So yeah..

Posted by: VirtualBS.3165

VirtualBS.3165

Best Graphics Cards For The Money: September 2012
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

I said go cpu for physX becouse from my experiance with a 560ti, physX runs better with cpu.

This may not be the case for 600 series, in which case yea ok run from gpu.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

spacecraft.4968

Nvidia said that they can’t do anything else to optimize the game with drivers and that they recommend overclocking CPU since it’s very cpu heavy and not very GPU heavy. So yeah..

Except they improved performance with the most recent drivers and said to expect performance to improve again the next driver update. They even mentioned GW2 specific SLI support in the next update.

Nvidia would never say they couldn’t do anything more to optimize their drivers for a brand new game. And GW2 being CPU heavy is not intentional according to anet. Anyways not going to argue with you anymore. It’s clear to me now that you’re making stuff up.

OP, get the 670 or 660ti. Both are going to perform very well. The 680 and 690 will be overkill.

I said go cpu for physX becouse from my experiance with a 560ti, physX runs better with cpu.

This may not be the case for 600 series, in which case yea ok run from gpu.

Weird. Here is a Mafia II benchmark I found (post on overclock.net). This person has an i7 965 and a GTX 570.

CPU at 3.2GHz : 13 fps
CPU at 4.0Ghz : 17 fps
GTX570: 38 fps

Games with PhysX are supposed to run much better when you use a GPU that supports it.

dacooli.6712

Maffia 2 isn’t borderlands. I’m always 80-100% cpu usage in borderlands 2. that game requires alot of cpu, so does this game.

spacecraft.4968

Maffia 2 isn’t borderlands. I’m always 80-100% cpu usage in borderlands 2. that game requires alot of cpu, so does this game.

I hit maybe 80% CPU in borderlands 2 as well. I have PhysX set to GPU and I average probably 80-90 FPS with everything maxed out.

Anyone that argues using CPU for PhysX over an nvidia GPU is either using an AMD card or they have no idea what they’re saying.

dacooli.6712

I hit maybe 80% CPU in borderlands 2 as well. I have PhysX set to GPU and I average probably 80-90 FPS with everything maxed out.

Anyone that argues using CPU for PhysX over an nvidia GPU is either using an AMD card or they have no idea what they’re saying.

I didn’t say that physx is cpu heavy gosh.. I run around 120 average in that game man. but i can dip to 40-60 in worst cases

spacecraft.4968

I didn’t say that physx is cpu heavy gosh.. I run around 120 average in that game man. but i can dip to 40-60 in worst cases

Borderlands isn’t that CPU heavy lol. Oh and I call BS at your 120 FPS “average”. Did you mean your highest? Because no benchmarks show that game hitting 120 FPS average. In this techspot test their i7-3960X Extreme Edition and a 680 averaged 75 FPS. (http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/)

That set up is way better than what you have and you claim 120 average FPS. You’re just making things up.

Anyways we are WAY off topic now and I don’t argue with liars. I hope the OP had his question answered.

dacooli.6712

Not lying. My highest is 160.

spacecraft.4968

Not lying. My highest is 160.

You don’t know the difference between “average” and “highest”? You said you average 120 FPS which is more than techspot did with a better CPU and a 680.

You power your PC on magic?

dacooli.6712

Sometimes it’s 90-100 average, sometimes its 70-80 average (VERY rare) but most of the time 110-130, yes.

Posted by: Bismark.9715

Bismark.9715

Buy a reference 7970 and overclock the hell out of it. I got my MSI R7970 for $350, clocked it up to 1250mhz stable and it eats games