Frequent crashing from "corrupted files"

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: euphoria.2495

euphoria.2495

If you get this crash, there’s actually no need to run repair, just skip the repair and the launcher will only repair the files it thinks are corrupted instead of scanning the whole game.

Posted by: Bakau.3849

Bakau.3849

Thought it was fixed as went nearly 12 hrs without a crash but jut happened again to me

Bakau.3849

Still happening this morning. This is still an issue and needs to be fixed.

Bakau.3849

Just happened again and it did a repair and after it said I have to download the WHOLE 15gb again – please get a dev to respond.

Bakau.3849

Can’t load beyond the character screen this morning been trying for 30 mins

Posted by: Coldmind.7946

Coldmind.7946

Still random crashing (MainCli.cpp) after 25th patch.

Posted by: Faolchu.1629

Faolchu.1629

Happens exclusively for me at Divinity’s reach bank as a constant crash to where I cant even login to my necromancer to play. It’s just an insta crash at load screen.

Ran mem test without issues on any of my 32 gigs of RAM and both my 680 gt nvidias are up to date on drivers I had zero crashes the first couple weeks until recently which they are now semi frequent across the board and constant near divinity’s bank.

Fix your game so I can play my necromancer again!
Until then in forced to never use him.

This is obviously not system but game centered.

“Significant ranger improvements coming in the next patch. "-Jon Peters, Nov. 2012…

Faolchu.1629

Any official word that these issues are actually being investigated rather than just trying to blame RAM?

Would be much appreciated.

“Significant ranger improvements coming in the next patch. "-Jon Peters, Nov. 2012…

Faolchu.1629

Bumping back up for official word of investigation since I keep seeing dupe topics created about this daily.

Posted by: bantapoo.1093

bantapoo.1093

it’s happening to me every day. It’s getting terribly annoying.
Currently im playing on Harathi Hinterland and I die. I press respawn I crash.
I repair game, it keeps crashing.
Anet fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Razud.9106

Razud.9106

I got the same problem as most people in this thread, random crashes and sometimes i get repeated crashes when i try to log on one of my charakters, yesterday i got 2 charakters stuck in Lion’s Gate. Since the game crashed at the same place for both of them. I could not log on with them both because the game kept crashing.

I to had a broken ram, but after i removed it the game still keep crashing at random and sometimes repeatedly, eaven after i run the repair.

I have tried allmost everything people suggested in this thread that would fix it but nothing did.

Posted by: Reeddog.9132

Reeddog.9132

Just wanted to share this. I too have been a victim of this bug as well as the “apppears to be a memory error crash”. I played this game COMPLETELY ( not one single crash AT ALL) trouble free till, while probably not 100% accurate, 10 days ago or so……. regardless here is what i did that “appears” to have worked.

I manually uninstalled all components of my Nvidia drivers through the unistall programs function in the control panel. Used CCleaner after i did that. Then went to EVGA, got their driver for the GTX 570. Installed ONLY the physX driver and the device driver. NO 3D drivers at all (this is important). I had read on several different forums, including one poster in this thread, or maybe the CRASH error thread, i believe saying the stereoscopic 3D drivers when removed are providing relief.

Then after doing this i had improvement crash wise.

So, when i first got the corrupted file error happening i had my game on a standard HDD raid0 array i use to play my big file size MMO games from. I use a set of SSD in raid0 for my Win7 OS and the FPS games i like to play only.

So my thinking was before there was much discussion on the forums about this issue that i might have some crap sectors or what on the standard hard drives ect ect. So i uninstalled GW2 and just let the game install on the SSD drives and in the default location. Which if you happen to read the technical help guide (which i did not till bout 9pm pst yesterday :P) they have for this game that you can link from the archive repair module screen that will come up and ask you if you want to check your files, is exactly where they recommend you do NOT install the game.

So again, i uninstall the game and re-downloaded the entire 16g (thank the powers at be fore comcast high speed cable! ) and re-installed to C:\Games\GW2. And bam!!! i played last night for a nearly 5 hours with no crashes of any kind.

Also, it bears mentioning that i cleaned my registry ( repeatedly, especially after new installs). Reduced my paging file to 1024 m because i got a BSOD exactly 3 different times since all this started (unfortunately i can’t remember the exact error here at work), and after researching it a bit, detailed the size of my paging file (mine was set to 16g by windows) as a potential “try this first type fix”.

Having 16G of ram and running SSD drives basically removes the need for a paging file is what the technical wizard dispensing this advice on tom’s hardware was alluding to. BUT to leave a minimal sized one (1024) because there are programs that will freak out if they do not locate a paging file. Although i have a sneaking suspicion these BSOD’s may have been related to me running GW2 in different windows compatibility modes as a potential fix. Extreme agitation was making me try just about anything that seemed a quasi logical potential fix.

I hope this helps someone.

Posted by: Aewyn Starfall.9406

Aewyn Starfall.9406

Same thing happening to me since the September 25th patch. It has never, ever done this in the past.

Update: Game has been somewhat playable since the patch, but as I was making this post I’ve tried to log in and every log in attempt, when at the character screen I’m met with a immediate crash.

Update 2: I moved the entire Guild Wars 2 folder to my HDD from my SDD and I haven’t had a single crash.

(edited by Aewyn Starfall.9406)

Posted by: Zab.4572

Zab.4572

I finally took the game off my raided SSD’s and raided HDD’s and slopped a boring old HDD in my pc. Fresh installed the game there and have had no issues whatsoever today. I’m not sure if switching to a new HDD fixed but i have ZERO page file whatsoever on the HDD i just swapped in today, maybe there is something to it like the poster above stated? The patch does say “Fixed crashing bugs” or something like that. Are people still having this issue?

Aewyn you said you crashed today at login. Was it the same crash? MainCli.cpp or w/e?

(edited by Zab.4572)

Posted by: lady krottos.7940

lady krottos.7940

I have been having this same issue since launch, My computer is custom build with hardware that well surpasses the suggested requiremnets for this game. Recently spent alot of money updating my computer and reformatting, because I thought maybe it may of had something to do with my computer. I told him about this issue and he looked into any issues that would cause my hardware to continue crashing while playing your game, and he came up clean. I have all my work done from a proffesional, and I believe he knows what he’s doing when it comes to building and updating my system. My point is, this problem has not gone away, and honestly, I’m getting tired of it. I can play WoW, Aion, Guil wars 1, and Star Wars all on max setting all the time, I play multiple other games as well and spend alot of time on my computer, and never have any issues until I log into Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Aewyn Starfall.9406

Aewyn Starfall.9406

@Zab Yes it was the MainCli.cpp crash for me, that’s all it has been. Before it would do it randomly, but today it would crash everytime I’d get to the character select screen. Once I moved it to my normal HDD rather than the SDD the problems stopped for whatever reason.

Posted by: PhoenixFire.2790

PhoenixFire.2790

Can you guys try making the guild wars 2 folder not read only then the GW2.exe compatibility tab check run as administrator? It worked for some who had missing textures and corrupted files. Also it’s the only way SMAA will work for me.

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

What a long thread. Skimming it, I see one recurring missed troubleshooting step: testing RAM and storage (in that order)

- Memtest86+
- CHKDSK /R
- VMT (Video Memory Test)
- Run GW2 with -repair switch

These will take hours; don’t skip them because troubleshooting software with bad hardware will waste days.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Exiled.6901

Exiled.6901

Relating to this topic, for me these problems started with the last (25/9) patch. I did almost everything humanly possible to locate the core of file corruption (repair, reinstall, update drivers (btw. gtx 560 ti), memtest, disk check (both with 0 errors passes, system restore to the point the game was running smoothly etc.)) and I am still getting crashes every +- 10 minutes into the game. I can play any other (either online or offline) game with no problem at all, so I have started to believe that the problem with the file corruption is based solely in GW2.

Faolchu.1629

Only if life was that simple rolo, most of us still hanging around have ran all those scans, tests, and updates and its still occurring lol.

So its a backend setting with the game if no other game in the world has the same interface issues.

Bakau.3849

Just happened right now again – please fix Areanet.

Posted by: rkst.2459

rkst.2459

Here are my corrupt error log as requested. Hope they help, and good luck diagnosing. I know it’s a hard, thankless job. Following posts will contain the corrupt stacks since I can’t submit zip files

Faolchu.1629

Hey now, ill be sure to thank them if its ever fixed

Posted by: rkst.2459

rkst.2459

I seem to have fixed my issue since reporting. I had run Memtest, VMT, chkdsk and the diagnostics from Crucial and everything was fine

Specs: i5-3570k, Z77-Pro4-m, 8GB RAM, EVGA HD 7950

I went to my motherboards vendor page and noticed a new chipset INF driver and a new network driver on the beta drivers page. After installing both of these I haven’t had a crash all afternoon. I was crashing approximately every 1.5 hours for the past few days.

I will report if this changes

Posted by: eater.7908

eater.7908

ok guys
i have the same issue
it was fixed for some days, but then suddenly with the latest patch it came again
cant start the game without crash since yesterday
i can sometimes even get into the game…for about <60 seconds till it crashes again
i am about 1 day away till i start taking my good opinions about GW2 back
the game can be the best game in the world, but if you cant play it its kitten

so i tested everything and probably i am just writing into this thread that the arenanet team realizes it. people are getting insanely mad about such problems and every of their workers should search about solutions
there are about … zero answers from arenanet on the other side tons of people are reading into the stuff, trying to solve it by their own

i could write hours about it, but now i will play other games
GW2 isnt my fav game anymore

cya

Posted by: funforums.4850

funforums.4850

same here, trying to fix re downloading.

EDIT: seems it got fixed re-downloading the enire game.

Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.5 GHz – 4GB RAM – GTX 470
Windows 8 Professional

(edited by funforums.4850)

Posted by: ParaszTarcal.5962

ParaszTarcal.5962

I’ve had the same problem for days now, none of the advices above fixed it so far, sometimes I can’t even reach character select, sometimes it crashes on the loading screen.

Posted by: Zab.4572

Zab.4572

Potential fix?

For anyone that hasn’t tried.. put it on a HDD that has no paging file, for whatever reason this has completely stopped the problem for me. I’ve been playing now for 3-4 days without a single crash when i was getting a crash every 15-30 min before. Also i did not redownload the game when i put it on my HDD. I simply cut/pasted it to make sure a fresh download wasn’t what was causing it to work for a while. Hopefully you all have a spare hard drive around and can try this. I was to the point of not playing the game anymore because of it and now i can play as long as i want without a crash.

(edited by Zab.4572)

Posted by: Draconian.8096

Draconian.8096

Re-downloading or repairing used to buy me at least half a day or so. Now it crashes every hour. I can’t play my favorite game anymore and it makes me frustrated.

Bakau.3849

Currently crashing every 5 mins inWvW please fix this anet.

Posted by: ParaszTarcal.5962

ParaszTarcal.5962

The no-paging file fix didn’t work for me, also I tried defragmenting, chkdsk, memtest, installing it to another location on my HDD (not like i had too much space to replace it). Though the new VGA driver seems to have solved the out of memory issue, I started to have this file corruption error. If I can manage to log in, it can last up to 25 minutes without crash, but it can’t even load in my character usually.

Bakau.3849

Still doing as of right now -can a dev please respond.

Posted by: sam.4673

sam.4673

Reformat

/15characters

Posted by: native.4890

native.4890

After the 25th, crashes are becoming quite frequent. Also I got a major fps hit in cities.

Posted by: Vitalize.7958

Vitalize.7958

+1 here.

Since 9/21/12, started getting crashes to desktop, bsod, game freezes. Before it was happening on just waypoints, now it’s becoming more frequent and random at anytime. beta was fine, release was fine, it just started to happen..

nvidia 560ti factory OC, 750 corsair PSU, i5 3570k no OC, 64bit, 16GB ram

-moving game folder from sdd to hdd didnt work.
-memtest shows 0 errors
-updated evga precision x, nvidia 560ti driver, BIOS.
-temperatures are fine

native.4890

Cannot attach .dat files. Hopefull these will help.

I can’t begin to describe how dissapointed I am now I’m having to deal with performance issues (which did not happen before). Same happened to TSW, and after many hours/days of trying to search for solutions, uninstalled. Can’t be bothered with having to deal with these issues anymore.

… and its not my hardware/setup, of that I am very sure.

Posted by: Merg.5361

Merg.5361

Might as well try posting here. Been playing since the head start and pretty much never crashed. Today I’ve been getting this kind of crash quite a lot, with 4 or 5 crashes within just a couple of hours. I haven’t done anything to my computer for weeks – no new drivers, no new programs, nothing. Also I should note I’m using a normal hard drive, no SSDs here.

Intel i7-920, Nvidia GTX 670 – 304.79 drivers, Win7 64bit, 12GB RAM

(I renamed the Corrupt-etcetera files from .dat to .log in order to upload them. The forums won’t let me upload .dat files. Just rename them back if you have a look.)

Rolo.9248

Only if life was that simple rolo, most of us still hanging around have ran all those scans, tests, and updates and its still occurring lol.

I’m not seeing that; I am seeing a whole lot of waiting around for Anet to do something when there’s still plenty to do client-side, beginning with a DXdiag dump.

More basics:
- SFC /SCANNOW
- Reinstall DirectX from Microsoft downloads
- Deleting \My Documents\Guild Wars 2 folder and \Program Files\Guild Wars 2 folders before reinstalling

Relating to this topic, for me these problems started with the last (25/9) patch. I did almost everything humanly possible to locate the core of file corruption (repair, reinstall, update drivers (btw. gtx 560 ti), memtest, disk check (both with 0 errors passes, system restore to the point the game was running smoothly etc.)) and I am still getting crashes every +- 10 minutes into the game. I can play any other (either online or offline) game with no problem at all, so I have started to believe that the problem with the file corruption is based solely in GW2.

It crashes but what does it report? Is GW2 process halting or are you getting BSODs?
What other games do you play and do they tax hardware as much? What are your temps and loads?

Rolo.9248

Since 9/21/12, started getting crashes to desktop, bsod, game freezes. Before it was happening on just waypoints, now it’s becoming more frequent and random at anytime. beta was fine, release was fine, it just started to happen..

nvidia 560ti factory OC, 750 corsair PSU, i5 3570k no OC, 64bit, 16GB ram

Assuming you deleted/reinstalled GW2, try dropping your GPU and video RAM clocks; I’m suspect of VRAM at this point.

Posted by: bantapoo.1093

bantapoo.1093

several people said that moving their game to HDD and a drive without paging fixed their issue.
Well for me it is not the case.
The only thing I didn’t do is uninstalling the 3D stereoscoping drivers, but to be frank I don’t expect much of it. This is primarly an issue with the game, and seeing the size of the game, it wouldn’t surprise me it’s an occurence of a memory leak.

(edited by bantapoo.1093)

eater.7908

my game tried to fix itself today with a different client and i thought arenanet moved their lazy kitten finaly
nooope …just took verry long, had to download some updates for a long time and it crashed again after character selection

native.4890

I’m not seeing that; I am seeing a whole lot of waiting around for Anet to do something when there’s still plenty to do client-side, beginning with a DXdiag dump.

More basics:
- SFC /SCANNOW
- Reinstall DirectX from Microsoft downloads
- Deleting \My Documents\Guild Wars 2 folder and \Program Files\Guild Wars 2 folders before reinstalling

It crashes but what does it report? Is GW2 process halting or are you getting BSODs?
What other games do you play and do they tax hardware as much? What are your temps and loads?

Rolo, I don’t mean to intrude, and I don’t want to sound rude neither, but I’m sure many of us thought of doing that way before you even had the slightest clue something like that could ever be done to a pc.

I’m sure many would appreciate the help, but some of us are wayyy ahead of the game. Not all people are clueless or computer illiterate you know… and its not wise to assume so. And some people post for very valid and legitimate reasons.

(edited by native.4890)

Bakau.3849

As of todays patch the error still occurred – happened about 10 mins into the game after I patched.

Rolo.9248

… I’m sure many of us thought of doing that way before you even had the slightest clue something like that could ever be done to a pc.

… and its not wise to assume so.

I’ve been playing/programming/fixing/building PCs since they were invented in 1981. You were right in that assumptions aren’t wise.

I’m sure many would appreciate the help, but some of us are wayyy ahead of the game. Not all people are clueless or computer illiterate you know… and its not wise to assume so. And some people post for very valid and legitimate reasons.

I never said any were; I have only said that client-side troubleshooting efforts did not occur and/or weren’t presented (in any Mx, if it isn’t documented, it didn’t happen).

If so many think Anet must do something then actionable facts must be presented, which isn’t happening by the majority. Help Anet help you.

There is an issue where FPS drops but CPU & GPU utilisation aren’t anywhere near max but Anet isn’t getting a clear picture of when/how often it happens because people are presenting emotion rather than data.

Posted by: spirit.3908

spirit.3908

Same problem here.
Yesterday I tried to go into the dungeon “Sorrow’s Embrace”, every time I enter the dungeon the game crashes (Log in possible cause u will restart in front of the dungeon, crash appears after u enter). Anyone who can confirm this?
This could help A-net to simulate the problem.

Posted by: PaulMarden.4619

Previous

PaulMarden.4619

Next

Hey, all! For anyone who’s still afflicted by this and hasn’t identified hardware as the culprit, I’ve got something I’d like you to do.

Run the game with the command-line parameter of “-analyze” (minus the quotes). Warning: this process is a bit crude on the UI-front; it reuses the text “Verifying archive” and will open a copy of Notepad upon completion (you may want to turn off auto-play temporarily). When Notepad opens, go ahead and copy the entirety of the contents and paste them in a reply to this thread. To keep this forum-thread skimmable, I’ve pre-emptively added spoiler-tags to the output.

Note: I’ve now noticed that if you don’t have any corrupted files, you’ll be presented with the not-so-helpful error of “Download failed!”. On the plus side, this means that there’s no record of corruption!

Keep in mind that this analysis is only meaningful for crashes with a description like “A file was corrupted in the archive”. The results it shows are unfortunately not going to help diagnose any other issues.

With this tool in place, there’s no need to attach/post your CorruptArchive.log, Corrupt-*.dat, or ArenaNet.log files in this thread. The output of the analysis should contain the important information already.

My personal experience has shown that most if not all of these cases stem from hardware-issues, though I recognize that there are a number of you who have run numerous diagnostics showing no results. I don’t have an answer for you, but let’s see what this tool shows!

eater.7908

Only showing a maximum of 16 results for each of a maximum of 16 files (out of 441 total)
To override this limitation, run with -analyzeFull. Warning: this may generate a very large log!

Analyzing corruption of 0×00014ac0:0×00014ac0… (Corrupt-509452fb.dat)
Uncompressed length is 349596 bytes (313048 compressed)

Found corruption [0×0000b520]
Original: 165668dc 6c59f190 f87eb8b8 172fe77b
Corrupted: 165668dc 6c59f190 f87eb8b8 17afe77b
Difference: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00800000

Found 1 flipped bit across 1 corrupted byte (out of 65536 bytes)

Analyzing corruption of 0×0002eae1:0×00071a9b… (Corrupt-357837db.dat)
Uncompressed length is 3523624 bytes (3499916 compressed)

Found corruption [0×0000c920]
Original: a3b7fd2c 203ff9af 66cc8bb5 6a6cd12b
Corrupted: a3b7fd2c 203ff9af 66cc8bb5 6aecd12b

Analyzing corruption of 0×00014a4d:0×00014a4d… (Corrupt-244e26ea.dat)
Uncompressed length is 1163480 bytes (471512 compressed)

Found corruption [0×00009520]
Original: c6bf09af 3f95dfc4 ff037fb2 401bfd04
Corrupted: c6bf09af 3f95dfc4 ff037fb2 409bfd04

and that were just some … i couldnt post whole one since there are so may corruptions
also today it didnt crash at start, some days i cant even enter the game
today i played about 5 mins before the crash (no WvW)

i added the whole thing

hope this helps …

Posted by: Alxa.6527

Alxa.6527

I had this problem big time, ran memtest86+ and found a bug in my memory that I hit every time regardless of settings overclocked or underclocked, proper memory voltage or higher. I’ve sent in an RMA request, this memory is more then 3 years old but GW2 is the thing that has crashed far more then any other program.

Basically I wanted to post what I suspect was causing myself to crash out VERY often. Do download memtest86+ : http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and check your memory if you crash a lot just to eliminate that at the very least.

Posted by: PaulMarden.4619

Previous

PaulMarden.4619

Next

and that were just some … i couldnt post whole one since there are so may corruptions
also today it didnt crash at start, some days i cant even enter the game
today i played about 5 mins before the crash (no WvW)
i added the whole thing
hope this helps …

Sorry to hear that you’ve been having so much trouble, eater. = (

Would mind detailing what tests you’ve run and for how long? The analysis shows corruption identical to other cases where we’ve concluded that hardware was at fault.

EDIT: When I say ‘concluded’, I mean that it was demonstrated otherwise that the machine had faulty hardware or bad settings. Immediately after correcting the issue, the corruption-problems disappeared.

(edited by PaulMarden.4619)

Posted by: Soot.9435

Soot.9435

Just wanted to add that I was having these issues – same crash with error etc.

I fixed it by running memtest 86+ off a bootable USB stick.

This found errors – I took ram out one by one and narrowed it down to a bad stick.

Been running flawlessly ever since.