Attachments:

GPU works at 20%

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

You are on a lptop , a very basic one at that

2.4ghz intel
integrated intel gfx chip

Even with a great gfx xhip in there that cpu would be holding it back to no end anyway. Also most notebooks throttle the hell out of anything when something taxing like GW2 is run crushing any real performance.

Edit: You mention beta 306.02 , those are nvidia driver so im assuming you actually have a nvidia gpu in there.

DXdag does not recognize that type of GPU and will always report the onboard intel instead of the nvidia but like i said with that cpu i dont see much headroom for a lot more fps but maybe im wrong and others here have that cpu in a notebook and have way better performance then you, i doubt it could be much tho.

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: IskariotE.8675

IskariotE.8675

Lol dude what are u talking about. I have 2gigs 555m, cpu maybe isnt great but its i5, its not bad. Its decent. I should have atleast 50 fps.

GPU works at 20%

Smackjack.5071

Lol dude what are u talking about.

Yes that seems to be your problem.

I suggest you either take some classes and get up to speed on the material you are trying to argue or just accept the facts.

Good luck in life.

-loldude….

GPU works at 20%

IskariotE.8675

Still my question was about 20% used GPU not about my CPU so… u didnt help a bit.

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

Unlike the other’s say here, your system should be fine. I use a similar but with i7 @ 2,6ghz and a gtx 460m card (you have a gt 555m, you have a second intel gpu build in your cpu which is normally used when no games are running, to save your battery)

to compare i run 1920×1080 pix, all gw2 settings high and have a stable 50-60 fps. I use the same nvidia beta driver.

It seems something is wrong with your power settings. (check if you use an high performance plan). Also allways plug in the power, otherwhise you’r shifted to a low perfomance plan to save battery.

You can use a tool like throttlestop preventing your laptop switching between plans, and checking the loads on your cpu’s. While in gw2 your cpu’s should run allmost all the time on 2,4ghz

GPU works at 20%

IskariotE.8675

To avoid wrong answers. This problem happens only with GW2 other games are always using 98-99% of GPU and i dont have kitteny fps like in this game. F.e BF3 Cod mw3 etc.

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: Novus.9013

Novus.9013

@SmackJack: The OP is right. I also have a nvidia GT 555M and it ran fine yesterday. It was on medium to high settings running at 30 to 35 fps. Now, with the latest update, I can’t get beyond 15 fps even on low settings… There’s something wrong with the game and its latest update. And the CPU is just fine. It will overclock itself anyway when more power is needed.

GPU works at 20%

RedZebra.2345

it was just a suggestion, checking you’r load on cpu won’t arm if the clock is low you have a problem in gw2 because it also sets you’r gpu on low power. It woulden’t be the first laptop throttling for no reason. But if you say it was good before the update, ok you have a point

GPU works at 20%

IskariotE.8675

it was just a suggestion, checking you’r load on cpu won’t arm if the clock is low you have a problem in gw2 because it also sets you’r gpu on low power. It woulden’t be the first laptop throttling for no reason. But if you say it was good before the update, ok you have a point

Could u explain more precisly what to do ?

GPU works at 20%

RedZebra.2345

just install throttlestop it,s free. i use version 4.00. Normally when it’s running it will prevent you’r laptop from throttling. You can check the clocks/temp of you’r cpu and gpu in it. GW2 is an demanding game, your cpu should run between 2 and 2,4 ghz, if it’s not you’ve a problem.

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: dizko.8153

dizko.8153

Don’t listen to this Smackjack character, he seems to think defending issues with the game engine as user created issues is some noble practice. He’s also an idiot because he seems to think an i5 is not good enough, I don’t know what world he lives in.

I have the same problem with my desktop on a gtx550ti, it’s a problem with the game. In no scenario should a game barely utilize a gpu.

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: Shaamaan.1349

Shaamaan.1349

Ditto…

Same problem here. I’ve got an old Core2Duo, but why in the world does the game only use 30% of the GPU while frying the CPU at 100%? Just WHAT is it calculating?

GPU works at 20%

RedZebra.2345

@dizko i agree about this Smackjack character your configuration should run better and certainly there should be an higher load on your gpu, but saying it’s a problem with the game is a bit to far. Don’t forget beta 306.02 is an “BETA” driver so no guarantees. As you have a desktop (so normally can’t be throttling) and as you’r the third mentioning this issue in this thread there’s certainly a problem. Been playing a lot of other games with this laptop and it’s the first time i see load is evenly spread on cpu and gpu with this game, getting the max out of this laptop (which is maybe causing issues for other’s as it is a really stress for a pc, fyi gpu load at my gtx 460m is around 100%) But not using full power of gpu is somewhere a driver issue, bottleneck, wrong setting or something else or … as you say maybe a game issue. Therefor monitoring different hardware can sometimes give a clue, low gpu usage isn’t necessesary caused by the graphic card.

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: Ice.8956

Ice.8956

I am having a horrifically significant drop in FPS as of TODAY, 9 September 2012. I didn’t get a chance to play yesterday so there is a chance that the issue existed then as well, but since internal Beta I’ve been playing with a solid steady 60 FPS with all settings maxed out. As of logging in today I can’t get past 4-10 FPS even with all settings dropped to minimum.

I’m running an i7 at 3.5mHz with 16GB DDR3 and a GTX 580 1.5GB card. I’ve never had an issue and I don’t have any issues with any other applications or games.

The strange thing is that it isn’t even trying to utilize my GPU at all! None of my clock speeds increase of strain under the game’s load, and GPU temp doesn’t even get up past 30C!

WTF? This game was optimized so smoothly up until now, and none of the issues I’ve read about have had ANYTHING to do with poor framerate, so why was something like this affected or changed with a gameplay patch? This is pretty disappointing, and I can’t even narrow down the reason behind it. I’ve tried isolating every graphical option to see if it’s just one feature causing it to fail so massively, and no one option in particular seems to do it. I’m running the latest NVidia drivers, help?

GPU works at 20%

RedZebra.2345

mm you the next one saying this all with 500 series nvidia

GPU works at 20%

IskariotE.8675

So any fix ? I still have problems with my Gpu and its not only in GW2 its in all games i have that. Starts at full power and then drops to 20-30% usage… Need help

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: gosu.8153

gosu.8153

I have the same problem with my desktop on a gtx550ti, it’s a problem with the game. In no scenario should a game barely utilize a gpu.

It happens when the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: alphacentari.7692

alphacentari.7692

Is it running hot? Check your temps my laptop was doing that and I looked at the temps and it was running at 103c. Ouch I know lol

Fort Aspenwood -RET

GPU works at 20%

Posted by: Swordbreaker.2581

Swordbreaker.2581

Imo the update wiki that arenanet provides is really crap if you want to know what they changed about the game from a technical standpoint. I wish they would have a little more transparency when it comes to what they did to raise or lower fps on any given patch. Also I agrer with others who have posted in FPS threads that the minimum requirements should be raised to more accurately depict what a system should be comprised of to run GW2 smoothly.

Asrock X79 Extreme4 mobo / I7 3930k @ 4.7ghz / 16gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
/ 2x XFX R9 290x in Crossfire

GPU works at 20%

gosu.8153

Minimum requirement doesn’t guarantee you will run the game smoothly…
It just means you will be able to run the game.

GPU works at 20%

Swordbreaker.2581

I agree but people seem to be confused by what minimum requirements means.

GPU works at 20%

gosu.8153

I see these low GPU usage complaints threads in EVERY MMO FORUMS.
Those with low end CPUs always do the same song and dance.

• “I can run (insert unrelated game here) perfectly fine but I get bad fps in this game! Not my computer’s fault!”
  • The game is only using 20% GPU. The game is broken"

Guess what guys? MMOs have always been very CPU dependent. It’s not possible for your 5 year old dual core to give you smooth FPS when there are tons of characters PVPing on your screen. Just not possible.
You are seeing low GPU usage because your GPU is being bottlenecked by the CPU. Your GPU is not getting enough stuff to work on because everything passes through your CPU so slowly.

Now if you have a decent, modern CPU and GPU but still having unreasonably low FPS, it’s probably

• Heat issue, very common in laptops. CPUs self throttle to prevent damage when it reaches a certain threshhold. Usually around 90c to 100c.
  • Misconfiguration. This can include outdated/incompatible drivers, bad Windows settings, Anti-virus software, or just too many programs running in the background.
  • Broken hardware.

I know this game has many bugs. But as far as optimization is concerned, this game has it pretty good compared to other recently released MMOs like SWTOR and Tera.
You can’t judge this game’s optimization based on your FPS during huge WvW battles.

GPU works at 20%

Swordbreaker.2581

I wish there was a like button.

GPU works at 20%

Smackjack.5071

• “I can run (insert unrelated game here) perfectly fine but I get bad fps in this game! Not my computer’s fault!”

Guess what guys? MMOs have always been very CPU dependent. It’s not possible for your 5 year old dual core to give you smooth FPS when there are tons of characters PVPing on your screen. Just not possible.
You are seeing low GPU usage because your GPU is being bottlenecked by the CPU. Your GPU is not getting enough stuff to work on because everything passes through your CPU so slowly.

Now if you have a decent, modern CPU and GPU but still having unreasonably low FPS, it’s probably

• Heat issue, very common in laptops. CPUs self throttle to prevent damage when it reaches a certain threshhold. Usually around 90c to 100c.
  • Misconfiguration. This can include outdated/incompatible drivers, bad Windows settings, Anti-virus software, or just too many programs running in the background.
  • Broken hardware.

I know this game has many bugs. But as far as optimization is concerned, this game has it pretty good compared to other recently released MMOs like SWTOR and Tera.
You can’t judge this game’s optimization based on your FPS during huge WvW battles.

Yeah i already tried to explain this i my first post in here and i did so in a friendly enough way but all you seem to get for that is insults hate and denial

owh well..

GPU works at 20%

Smackjack.5071

• Broken hardware.

Yeah i already tried to explain this in my first post in here and i did so in a friendly enough manner but all you seem to get for that is insults hate and denial

owh well..