GW2 Overheating GPUs

GW2 Overheating GPUs

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

How come GW2 is the only game that overheats my GPUs… By overheat, i mean they hover over 85-92°C which from time to time go even higher crashing my computer.

Battlefield 3 doesn’t overheat them. Borderlands w/ High PhysX doesn’t overheat them. Planetside 2 doesn’t overheat them either.

Running 2x GTX 560Tis @ 925Mhz Core / 2100Mhz Mem / 1GB / 384Cores with a 2560×1440 monitor @ 100hz.

(I know there was another GPU overheating thread, but search isn’t working).

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

Frankly that’s impossible, being the game only pushes the GPU to around 40%. Just kick the fan up higher.

http://eu.evga.com/precision/

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Swordbreaker.2581

Swordbreaker.2581

How come GW2 is the only game that overheats my GPUs… By overheat, i mean they hover over 85-92°C which from time to time go even higher crashing my computer.

Battlefield 3 doesn’t overheat them. Borderlands w/ High PhysX doesn’t overheat them. Planetside 2 doesn’t overheat them either.

Running 2x GTX 560Tis @ 925Mhz Core / 2100Mhz Mem / 1GB / 384Cores with a 2560×1440 monitor @ 100hz.

(I know there was another GPU overheating thread, but search isn’t working).

It could be that since GW2 does tax your cpu more so than any of those other games, that the air temperature in your case is rising a lot more and the graphics cards are sucking in all that hot air and running hotter. But ya you should try running a custom.fan profile.

Asrock X79 Extreme4 mobo / I7 3930k @ 4.7ghz / 16gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
/ 2x XFX R9 290x in Crossfire

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

Another ill informed user blaming gpu load on overheating sigh.

a graphics card will only overheat when the gpu max loads when

-the case is poorly ventilated
-the heatsink is chock full of dust
-the heatsink has a poor mating with the surface of the gpu

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

turn on Vsync or use nvidias adaptive vsync

The reason cards run at 40 – 50% is cause vsync has kicked in.

No vsync means card is working at max speed so heat will of course be higher.

Remember…more then 60fps is pointless…so save your card and enable adaptive vsync or use the in game vsync

Remember if you use adaptive you have to turn off in game vsync so it dont override adaptive.

Adaptive pretty much automatically enables and disables vsync depending on how low or high frames go…works great.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Alteris.1528

Alteris.1528

I’d double check your systems airflow and I’d also check the thermal paste on the 560s, awhile back before I got GW2 I actually cleaned and reseated the heatsink on my HD4890 and put on my own thermal paste Tuniq TX-2 I have yet to see anything over 45c-48c, I also moded a Zalman 120mm fan to the heatsink, now my 4890 and OCed 955BE @ 3.9GHz are nearly the same temp all the time lols. Airflow and dust will be the biggest issues heat wise so I’d look there 1st.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

iSmack.1768

Thanks for the replies but some clarification are due…

Clarifications:

- My case is a HAF-X which is de-dusted every 2 weeks. (I highly doubt my case is poorly ventilated when other more GPU demanding games have my GPUs running cooler). (@Squall Leonhart – Yes, i’m very ill-informed – Read properly next time).

- Adaptive Vsync is already enabled through NVCP (no point turning in-game Vsync as the NVCP overrides it). I’ve also tired the opposite (in-game vsync on / adaptive off), yields the same result.

- GPU utilization is around 80-90% in GW2 for me along with 700-1000MB mem usage on both cards. (@Crawford, i’ll take screenshots when i get home. I use MSI Afterburner since my GPUs are MSI TwinfrozrII GTX 560Ti-s)

- There’s a difference between 60fps and 100fps (it’s smoother on a 100hz monitor, you won’t notice it till you have a high refresh rate monitor).

- @SwordBreaker – CPU runs at most around 40-50°C. I’ve made sure the heat is released up through the case and not down into the GPUs. (HAF-X has a fan right above the CPU and it’s pushing air out).

Another question: Do you guys run the game at 2560×1440? I’ve spoken to a few others on /map and they also said they were having heat issues while using the same rez. Is there some kind of memleak / engine has issues (unoptimized) for this rez?

(edited by iSmack.1768)

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

Hey i had the same problem with my GTX 560 Ti too, try checking on these things.

1. Use SmartDocter to enable smart cooling.
2. You will need a case with a good airflow so atleast 1 fan front and 1 back.
3. Check if you have the latest drivers.
4. Check if you have enough power on your power supply.
5. Are the cables connected correctly

My GTX 560Ti idles on 29c, yes 29c ! thats very low for this card, and i enabled smart cooling on 60c and it never goes above it ( card does make some noise ofc )

Hope this helps, it helped for me.. and dont underestimate the airflow.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: shojikareza.1402

shojikareza.1402

Nah, the 500 series always does, that… get a 600 series.. lol

“Imagination is one strongest power in a successful life”

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Refraction.1892

Refraction.1892

Frankly that’s impossible, being the game only pushes the GPU to around 40%. Just kick the fan up higher.

http://eu.evga.com/precision/

If your computer only uses 40% im very suprised. My GTX 570 uses 100% gpu usage. On the stock cooler i did reach 84c which is about normal for a stock nvidia cooler. Now using an Arctic Cooling one and only getting ~60c.

If your temperature is raising above 90c, id make sure the card fan isnt obstructed in any way and there is plenty of airflow in your case. You could even try running with the side of your case off, that should keep the inside reasonably cool.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Squall Leonhart.2075

@Squall Leonhart – Yes, i’m very ill-informed.

Yes, yes you are, see below.

- GPU utilization is around 80-90% in GW2 for me along with 700-1000MB mem usage on both cards. (@Crawford, i’ll take screenshots when i get home. I use MSI Afterburner since my GPUs are MSI TwinfrozrII GTX 560Ti-s)

GPU Usage alone, is not an indicator for temperature. One thing MSI afterburner does not do, is provide a good indication of Memory Controller usage. The memory controller is a portion of the GPU that also contributes to heat, but often runs at less than 30% usage. Guild Wars 2 is one of the few titles that cause the IMC to be utilised upwards of 80+%. Following what you said in the quote below.

Another question: Do you guys run the game at 2560×1440? I’ve spoken to a few others on /map and they also said they were having heat issues while using the same rez. Is there some kind of memleak / engine has issues (unoptimized) for this rez?

The heat is thus a result of a heavily worked graphics card. You can reduce the load on the IMC by using native sampling instead of super sampling. But this comes at the cost of eye candy.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

iSmack.1768

Hey i had the same problem with my GTX 560 Ti too, try checking on these things.

1. Use SmartDocter to enable smart cooling.
2. You will need a case with a good airflow so atleast 1 fan front and 1 back.
3. Check if you have the latest drivers.
4. Check if you have enough power on your power supply.
5. Are the cables connected correctly

My GTX 560Ti idles on 29c, yes 29c ! thats very low for this card, and i enabled smart cooling on 60c and it never goes above it ( card does make some noise ofc )

Hope this helps, it helped for me.. and dont underestimate the airflow.

Thank you for the reply.

1 – I have set the fan speed to 85% on MSI Afterburner… Going higher makes them quite loud that I can hear them through my headset

2 – HAF-X (it’s the name of the tower) with proper cooling is already being used.

3 – Using 306.97 drivers.

4 – 850W Corsair TX850 Power supply (minimum 750W required for SLI/CFX)

5 – If cables weren’t connected probably, I wouldn’t be able to play the game atm, let alone have the system running, lol.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

iSmack.1768

@Squall Leonhart – Yes, i’m very ill-informed.

Yes, yes you are, see below.

GPU Usage alone, is not an indicator for temperature. One thing MSI afterburner does not do, is provide a good indication of Memory Controller usage. The memory controller is a portion of the GPU that also contributes to heat, but often runs at less than 30% usage. Guild Wars 2 is one of the few titles that cause the IMC to be utilised upwards of 80+%. Following what you said in the quote below.

The heat is thus a result of a heavily worked graphics card. You can reduce the load on the IMC by using native sampling instead of super sampling. But this comes at the cost of eye candy.

Thanks for the reply.

So doesn’t Memory Controller usage fall under GPU usage? I’m sure it’s part of the %.

The sampling is already at Native. I don’t use Super Sampling. I’ve set everything on Low and it only reduced mem usage a bit, but the heat remains.

I’m just theorizing that something is wrong with the Engine and not my hardware. This overheating issue is isolated to GW2 in my case.

(edited by iSmack.1768)

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

Then its very strange.. ill show u my Smart Cooling settings

http://i48.tinypic.com/28qzy3s.png

But im using 1920×1080 screen, maybe that makes a difference i dunno, try contacting your cards manufactorer, mine is ASUS and np with it,

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

iSmack.1768

Nah, the 500 series always does, that… get a 600 series.. lol

I’m waiting for the GTX700 series to upgrade :P

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: illutian.7630

illutian.7630

Well, for starters:
Get EVGA Precision, or MSI Afterburner.
Now set the fan controller to use:
30c → 40%
50c → 50%
80c → 80%
90c → 100%

Nvidia sets the fan to about 30% duty cycle to keep it quiet, and it’ll jump up to about 60% duty cycle at 70c.

You should see your card running at about 80c at 100% usage.

You may also need to go with liquid cooling for the video cards since you’re running SLI. Or change to high CFM fans for all your case fans.

About the 700series, it will probably use the same chipset (Kepler) as the 600. Just as the 500 used the same (Fermi) as the 400. They seem to change chipsets ever 3rd series; 800series should use a new chipset.

I highly recommend a GTX 670 4GB, you may question the madness, but when friends ask you want MOVIE you’re watching and you tell them it’s Skyrim….ya…it was worth the extra money.

Main: illutian Kade
Server: Borlis Pass
Guild: Midgard Protectorate

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Im with you on the 70 0series iSmack cant wait for the ‘real’ 680 to be released (as the 780 probably)

As for heat, im running a single Gigabyte 560ti Super OC edition (950mhz core, 2290mhz memory (4580mhz effective)) 384core version. Its factory OC’d i havnt touched it.

Only thing i have done is installed EVGA precision and created a custom stepped fan curve to keep my temps below 75c at all times. The fan hits 80% speed at 75c which it does hit now and then in Gw2, but most the time its between 68-74c which has the fan running at ether 65% or 70%.

So with that said i beleve it must be due to a physical fault with your cards, be it them being dirty or the conection between core and cooler has degraded.
It could also be due to the SLI setup, how close are your cards to each other ? do they have enough room between them to vent the heat ?

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

GW2 Overheating GPUs

illutian.7630

Solar, no in SLI the cards are pretty much touching, the fan is therefore designed to suck air in from the sides.
Fan blades are like this (looking at it from the top): | | | | | | |
Instead of at an angle like a typical fan (ie like in a fan symbol)

GW2 Overheating GPUs

SolarNova.1052

Ah ok .. EVGA cards ?

Well ether way, i think your next best option is to ether put up with higher fan speeds or re-apply the heat sinks using new thermal paste and hope for better temperatures.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Nyx.8193

Nyx.8193

Mine is around 58-60 celsius while playing and im using automatic fan speed, since the fans of this card are extremely quiet below 60% fan speed

i5-4690k | Z97-A | Fury 16GB | GTX 970 Strix SLI
850 Evo 128GB/250GB | Caviar Black 1TB | G-650
Essence STX | Define R5 | 2x U2312HM

GW2 Overheating GPUs

illutian.7630

Mine is around 58-60 celsius while playing and im using automatic fan speed, since the fans of this card are extremely quiet below 60% fan speed

Video Settings in game?

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Nyx.8193

Nyx.8193

everything maxed, except the most intensive textures down there.

i5-4690k | Z97-A | Fury 16GB | GTX 970 Strix SLI
850 Evo 128GB/250GB | Caviar Black 1TB | G-650
Essence STX | Define R5 | 2x U2312HM

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Alteris.1528

1 – I have set the fan speed to 85% on MSI Afterburner… Going higher makes them quite loud that I can hear them through my headset

2 – HAF-X (it’s the name of the tower) with proper cooling is already being used.

3 – Using 306.97 drivers.

4 – 850W Corsair TX850 Power supply (minimum 750W required for SLI/CFX)

5 – If cables weren’t connected probably, I wouldn’t be able to play the game atm, let alone have the system running, lol.

Try flipping the HAF-X’s Side fan to pull air out of the case instead of in, the MSI 560Ti TwinFrozer IIs are not made to shoot air directly Out the case, most of it is actually staying in the case, which in your case is creating a hot pocket that both cards keep re-using. Which is part of the reason they run so hot, other reason is your resolution, 2560×1440 is a pretty extreme res even to those cards hence the heat they put out trying to render at that res. Other then what I just suggested I’d really look into re-seating both cards and replacing the thermal paste, its actually fairly simple to take the heatsinks off those 560Ti’s especially just after the PCs been on awhile :P Hint lols. Hope some of this helps out.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

iSmack.1768

@Alteris – I just find it odd that my GPUs are overheating when playing GW2. Every other game they are nice and cool. GW2 is a good game, but not worth butchering my GPUs to hope for a fix for the overheating. I’ll just wait for a decade or 2 till they optimize the engine or maybe when the GTX 700 series drops or something.

Fluctuating performance (no matter what settings used) / GPU overheating = not my cup of tea.

Planetside 2 has bigger playing areas than GW2 and i have no problems with it in terms of performance / overheating GPUs.

Thanks for the reply though.

(edited by iSmack.1768)

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: deltaconnected.4058

deltaconnected.4058

Out of curiosity, what happens to your temperatures if you run both prime95 (blend) and furmark at the same time?

GW2 Overheating GPUs

iSmack.1768

Out of curiosity, what happens to your temperatures if you run both prime95 (blend) and furmark at the same time?

When I was testing if my OC’s for my CPU / GPU were stable, CPU was hovering around 55-58°C and my GPUs went up to 78-80°C.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Alteris.1528

@Alteris – I just find it odd that my GPUs are overheating when playing GW2. Every other game they are nice and cool. GW2 is a good game, but not worth butchering my GPUs to hope for a fix for the overheating. I’ll just wait for a decade or 2 till they optimize the engine or maybe when the GTX 700 series drops or something.

Fluctuating performance (no matter what settings used) / GPU overheating = not my cup of tea.

Planetside 2 has bigger playing areas than GW2 and i have no problems with it in terms of performance / overheating GPUs.

Then it’s the rendering engine in GW2 that’s causing the issues I know I get some odd slowdowns in certain area’s I shouldn’t :/, Or its SLI related, either way your getting some pretty serious heat coming off those 560’s, have you considered trying to play at different resolutions other then 2560×1440 ? like 1680×1050, 1920×1080 etc etc ? An have you changed the direction of the side fan on the case to see if there is any noticeable difference ? :/

You also have to remember that the higher the resolution the more stress is put on the video card, these cards may be able to run at 2560×1600 but that never means they have the horsepower to actually render a game at that resolution that’s really playable and without a nasty side effect, in this case heat.

Personally I’d rather play at 1920×1080 and have less heat then play at 2560×1440 and take a chance of frying a card or both.

Not recomended to use Furmark as it has been seen to actually Dmg video cards, I’d rather use 3DMark then Furmark for stress testing the GPU.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: orlen.7810

orlen.7810

using an amd 6850 in eyefinity does get the gpu hotter, but not by that degree.

honestly i don’t know but check the fans on the case, i know i know you may already have done but make sure they are going the right way, you never know one fan going the wrong way can seriously mess up the air flow you should have.

other than that i’d reapply some thermal paste and see how it goes.

something isn’t right but without seeing inside your computer it’s kinda hard to give you better advice outside of the obvious which have already been pointed out.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

iSmack.1768

Then it’s the rendering engine in GW2 that’s causing the issues I know I get some odd slowdowns in certain area’s I shouldn’t :/, Or its SLI related, either way your getting some pretty serious heat coming off those 560’s, have you considered trying to play at different resolutions other then 2560×1440 ? like 1680×1050, 1920×1080 etc etc ? An have you changed the direction of the side fan on the case to see if there is any noticeable difference ? :/

You also have to remember that the higher the resolution the more stress is put on the video card, these cards may be able to run at 2560×1600 but that never means they have the horsepower to actually render a game at that resolution that’s really playable and without a nasty side effect, in this case heat.

Personally I’d rather play at 1920×1080 and have less heat then play at 2560×1440 and take a chance of frying a card or both.

Not recomended to use Furmark as it has been seen to actually Dmg video cards, I’d rather use 3DMark then Furmark for stress testing the GPU.

I’d rather just wait it out till maybe one day, by miracle, they optimize the engine more. Every single other game runs fine with normal heat output. I’ve already made sure that the side, back, and top fans push outward while the front ones push in. Made sure there’s no dust and using strips of tissues verified how the air flows into my tower.

The problem with lowering my resolution is that I need to set manual timings for 1920×1080@60-120hz or the screen becomes distorted (I’m using a Yamakasi Catleap 2B Extreme). Haven’t had luck yet unfortunately. Still trying to find the right manual settings. Not mention, loooooook [http://i.imgur.com/aWf8i.jpg]. The game looks amazing with 2560×1440.

GW2 is a fun game, but not that highly regarded for me to go around and mess around in my system just for it when every other program/benchmark tool / game run just fine. I’ll just make a new profile in MSI Afterburner and set the fan manually to 100% and pretend i’m in a very windy area in the game.

Thanks for the reply.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

deltaconnected.4058

Furmark will only damage GPUs that are getting too hot (VReg’s, memory, or core). As long as it’s properly ventilated this shouldn’t happen, so something might’ve changed between then and now.

Reason I suggested this is because it’s impossible from a software perspective to have that kind of impact on hardware. The only way is if it actively writes to the hardware-mapped memory (EC or registers), which I know for fact that it doesn’t

GW2 Overheating GPUs

iSmack.1768

Furmark will only damage GPUs that are getting too hot (VReg’s, memory, or core). As long as it’s properly ventilated this shouldn’t happen, so something might’ve changed between then and now.

Reason I suggested this is because it’s impossible from a software perspective to have that kind of impact on hardware. The only way is if it actively writes to the hardware-mapped memory (EC or registers), which I know for fact that it doesn’t

Sooooooooooooo something is definitely up with GW2 w/ 2560×1440?

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Lightvision.9357

Lightvision.9357

Remember…more then 60fps is pointless…so save your card and enable adaptive vsync or use the in game vsync

not exactly true, if your monitor can handle max 60hz then your statement is true, however if your monitor can handle more then your statment is false !!

GW2 Overheating GPUs

deltaconnected.4058

No. Either the driver’s default fan profile doesn’t make sense and needs to be controlled by something like Afterburner, or there’s a ventilation problem with the case/heatsink.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

illutian.7630

It’s either the card itself or your setup (physical or SLI). I run the game at 1680×1050@60Hz (Windowed Fullscreen; dual monitor…keep the wiki in one screen and the game in the other). Everything is maxed, Vsync is off, running 306.23 (306.93 may have caused a BSoD on me; need to test some more things). And I run at 78-80c with ~50fps.

Try running the game at a different 16:9 ratio (think that’s what 2560×1440′s is might be 16:10..dunno…hate math :P ). Also try running with out SLI at 2560×1440 all the same settings, I know some games have trouble..even in this day ’n age with SLI/Crossfire.

@Lightvision actually, anything above 30fps is pretty much a waste. As the eye doesn’t see anything above that (+/- a few based on the individual). 40fps (constant) is enough to produce smooth movements, beyond that is just kitten.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

SolarNova.1052

Oh for crying out loud ..i really wish people would stop spurting the same nonsense about what the human eye can see in terms of FPS.

There is no need to tell people what you ‘think’ the human eye can see. They can test it themselves with an old game(for performance sake) and a frame limiter.
Set frame limiter to 20 .. play game ..then 30 ..play game ..then 40 ..play game and so on up to your screens refresh rate (usualy 60 or 120).

My TV goes to 60. And i can see a noticable difference all the way up to 60 easily.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Squall Leonhart.2075

i wish people would stop comparing games of different graphics load and claiming one is faulty because it uses more of the hardware than the other.

the graphics card is designed to operate at 100% gpu and imc load, if the temps are too hot, then something needs checking on the card or the chassis.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

illutian.7630

Seems my medical knowledge is tad outdated :P
They appear to think the human eye can ‘see’ above 100fps, but the general acceptance is still anything below 24fps and it begins looking like a strobe-light behind dancers.

Statement still stands that anything over 40 is pretty much a waste. This coming from a person that has played the same game at 5fps, 17fps, 20fps, and finally 60fps (capped). After 30 it was smooth, after that it was “real life”, so I capped it at 60fps…though if my understanding is right 1Hz = 2fps. So even that cap is pretty much a waste.

Also, note that I did say it would vary. But for me it’s 40+ and I don’t end up with headaches.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Pykus.4102

Pykus.4102

You are not the only one. I can prove it is GW2. All I do is play the game (Sparkfly Fen and the personal story where you are sent into the future) and my GPU gets to 100 degrees Celsius (according to Precision). I can tab out of the game and my GPU drops to 51 degrees. However, I ran in Eternal Battlegrounds tonight and had absolutely no problem. I am running 1650×1080 with FXAA, ultra distance, high details, high for the rest. I am turning off postprocessing and seeing if that helps.

My case is open with great airflow – that is not the issue. I have not had any other game that I have played cause this issue. I am using the latest Nvidia drivers for my Factory overclocked 465GTX. Hopefully AN will see this and help determine why this game is trying to melt my GPU.

(edited by Pykus.4102)

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Squall Leonhart.2075

You are not the only one. I can prove it is GW2.

No, you can’t. What you can prove is that GW2 utilises the graphics card harder than other titles which -OMG- results in heat!

My case is open with great airflow

Your airflow is completely kittened when the side panels are off. Thermodynamic engineers are shaking their head at you in disappointment right now.

I have not had any other game that I have played cause this issue.

I take it you never played Metro 2033 or The Witcher 2 with ubre sampling

I am using the latest Nvidia drivers for my Factory overclocked 465GTX.

Its a power guzzling space heater.

remove the heatsink and replace the most likely badly applied silicon grease with some decent silver paste.

(edited by Squall Leonhart.2075)

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Sousui.1635

Sousui.1635

Pykus, actually open cases have NO airflow. If you have a door open (or a stupid case that has air holes all over its door) the fans are unable to create a path of air from the front to the rear of the case.

All of this is aside from the fact that nothing can MAKE a device overheat. 2 things cause a piece of hardware to overheat. The cooling solution attached is inadiquit (heatsink/fan assembly) or the area itself is not getting replenished with cool air fast enough and getting hot air removed. The good thing is hot air rises so having an intake fan blow air above and below the card is usually good enough.. but performance cards may require a dedicated fan blowing under it, as well as a good path for hot air removal. IMO if you have a performance card, it should have a full cowl and expel all air out the back slot.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

deltaconnected.4058

Sparkfly is one of the few zones in the game that pushes all 3 of my 580’s to or very close to 100% usage each no matter where I go. Top card peaks at 88c, lowest at 78, all settings (minus shadows) maxed. If I can keep them under 90, no other well ventilated card should have issues.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

illutian.7630

/facepalm

Open case….the only time I’ve done that is when I had a box fan blowing air ONTO the mobo during a OCing test of the entire system (CPU, RAM, NB, and VRM).

Also, I’m looking at the game settings and mine only go up to 1920×1080, so for those running 2560×1440...that’s probably why you’re having an issue. You’re pushing the game beyond what it was designed to run at.

*Note: The main monitor I have is 1680×1050, so it’s not “the game is just detecting the highest resolution your monitor can do”

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Squall Leonhart.2075

I have a potential cause for the heat, after doing some testing with the umbra gpu command switch.

The graphics card is rendering everything in the scene!, there is almost practically no culling occuring apart from players on screen.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

illutian.7630

I have a potential cause for the heat, after doing some testing with the umbra gpu command switch.

The graphics card is rendering everything in the scene!, there is almost practically no culling occuring apart from players on screen.

Still doesn’t explain why only a few people have it.

Is it just people running the game beyond 1920×1080?

Just did a test, ran around 1680×1050 (Fullscreen) and 1920×1080 (Fullscreen) GPU never went above 85c

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Posted by: Sousui.1635

Sousui.1635

It has little to do with resolution and such, it just has to do with the video card being pushed %100 and the cooling solution not being adequate. Fix your airflow!

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Alteris.1528

I think your onto something here, if the video card is rendering an entire scene and everything in it at the max render and little to no culling is occuring, then the video card would have to work extra hard to continue to render at that rate every where you looked, which would lead to all the heat issue’s ppl are getting when playing GW2. I hope Anet has plans to work on there rendering engine more cause it definitely needs it.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

deltaconnected.4058

1) How do you know what is or isn’t being culled if it doesn’t have an impact on the final pixel calculation… GW2 gives you no polygon or texture info.

2) Software doesn’t cause hardware to overheat. It exposes an obvious flaw in your cooling.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

SolarNova.1052

Graphics cards are designed to stay cool even at 100% load with everything on it being used to the max. So if somones card is overheating, its generaly ether the users fault i.e not enough case cooling and/or dust, or a manufacturing fault.

Its like when you OC somthing , you dont OC then test it out on 70% load. Becouse if at anytime said component reaches 99%, its most likely going to overheat. Instead you make sure you stress it as hard as possible to make sure it has no chance of overheating. The sensable person also leave headroom ..just incase.

My CPU barely reaches 20% usage at any given time on anygame including GW2. Its temps reach maybe 60c. Yet if for any reaosn it hits 99% load i’ve got it set to only ever reach around 75c. I could OC even further to maybe 4.8ghz if i only tested it at low loads like 20%-50..but that would be dangerous for when it does hit 99%. It would deffinatly overheat.

So anyway if you GPU is overheating ..downclock it/clean it/reseat the heatsink/check case cooling. it can be fixed.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Squall Leonhart.2075

2) Software doesn’t cause hardware to overheat. It exposes an obvious flaw in your cooling.

True, this is true, so very very true.

But nobody wants to accept that their cooling is the problem since all their other games “work fine”, and don’t want to know that their several games that work just dandy don’t work the graphics card as hard.

GW2 Overheating GPUs

Squall Leonhart.2075

Graphics cards are designed to stay cool even at 100% load with everything on it being used to the max. So if somones card is overheating, its generaly ether the users fault i.e not enough case cooling and/or dust, or a manufacturing fault.

Its like when you OC somthing , you dont OC then test it out on 70% load. Becouse if at anytime said component reaches 99%, its most likely going to overheat. Instead you make sure you stress it as hard as possible to make sure it has no chance of overheating. The sensable person also leave headroom ..just incase.

Yep, the first time i cleaned my heatsink in my 275, it made me well aware that unlike the cpu heatsink, which can take a bit of dust without a major increase in temp, a graphics cards a different story. it was getting so hot i was hitting 105c and the driver tripped a TDR to prevent damage. after cleaning it, it didn’t go above 84c in heavy games.

im now running on a 550ti atm, after 4 resistors decided to melt into a solid mess and kill the 275 with comparable performance…. faster in some cases, at lower temps than the 275