Gw2.exe

Gw2.exe

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: meps.4658

meps.4658

After i click play on the game client launcher screen goes black like its gonna launch then i get bounced out and Gw2.exe appears saying “A serious error has occurred that prevents the program from continuing to run.” Happened after i downloaded new patch what do i do?!

Gw2.exe

meps.4658

• Crash <—*
    Assertion: hdr→signature == PACKFILE_SIGNATURE
    File: ..\..\..\Services\Packfile\Packfile.cpp(1930)
    App: Gw2.exe
    Pid: 6048
    Cmdline:
    BaseAddr: 00E70000
    ProgramId: 101
    Build: 39660
    When: 2014-10-01T00:13:12Z 2014-10-01T13:13:12+13:00
    Uptime: 0 days 0:00:38
    Flags: 0

that’s the block of text i get

Gw2.exe

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hey there,

What sort of system specs are you working with? Specifically: CPU, GPU, RAM, and OS? Also, are you connecting through a router by chance? Certain router models have been known to cause black screen issues and the easiest way to rule this out would be to bypass the router completely and connect directly to the modem.

Gw2.exe

meps.4658

Hey my specs are amd a6 APU dual 2.7 ghz with radeon hd graphics, 6 gig ram and im usin windows 8 as for the router i dont think so we are just using a wireless modem

Gw2.exe

meps.4658

disappointing tech support eh

Gw2.exe

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Delete the contents of the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/. This is where your settings are stored.

Delete the contents of Documents/Guild Wars 2/, though just rename the Screens folder. This is an alternate storage location for logs and settings, as well as the location for custom music and screenshots.

Open the folder where Gw2.exe is located, delete the bin folder and any other files, excluding Gw2.exe and Gw2.dat. While in the folder where Gw2.exe is located, enter Gw2.exe -repair into the folder’s address bar and press enter. This will begin the repair process and will take some time.

Gw2.exe

Posted by: mambastik.8735

mambastik.8735

Delete the contents of the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/. This is where your settings are stored.

Delete the contents of Documents/Guild Wars 2/, though just rename the Screens folder. This is an alternate storage location for logs and settings, as well as the location for custom music and screenshots.

Open the folder where Gw2.exe is located, delete the bin folder and any other files, excluding Gw2.exe and Gw2.dat. While in the folder where Gw2.exe is located, enter Gw2.exe -repair into the folder’s address bar and press enter. This will begin the repair process and will take some time.

Been playing since since launch when I suddenly get the same problems with gw2.exe. In the folder where the gw2.exe is located, it is showing a 0kb size. I tried doing gw2.exe -repair on address bar but a Windows 8 error popup shows “This app can’t run on your PC”.

As per Guild Wars 2 troubleshooting section, I created a shortcut of gw2.exe and added -repair inside the Target (“C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -repair). Same error, “This app can’t run on your PC”. Pretty frustrating, since I was able to play yesterday.

Edit: Icon is also showing the generic/default program icon, as if it were to ask “Choose which program to open it with…”

Edit2: Found a solution this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Gw2-exe-is-not-a-valid-Win32-application-1
Didn’t want to reinstall the whole thing, so I downloaded a backup Gw2.exe someone uploaded. Client ran fine, update worked, and now in game.

(edited by mambastik.8735)

Gw2.exe

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Didn’t want to reinstall the whole thing, so I downloaded a backup Gw2.exe someone uploaded. Client ran fine, update worked, and now in game.

If Gw2.exe was 0 KB, it likely crashed while updating. If you had a Gw2.tmp file > 0 KB, it’s actually Gw2.exe and was meant to be moved.

GW2 isn’t actually installed in the usual sense. Gw2Setup.exe just downloads Gw2.exe to your %temp% folder and asks you where to place it. To do it manually, you just run it, wait for the install button and move the file yourself. Alternatively, the original Gw2.exe can be located at http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe, though they now use Amazon instead.

Gw2.exe

meps.4658

cheers for the suggestions but i just decided to reinstall, i think your theory about the failed patching sounds about right though

Gw2.exe

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

disappointing tech support eh

BTW, this forum is NOT official tech support but a forum for players to provide Tech Support assistance to other players. If you want Support from Anet directly, you need to submit a ticket via SERVICES (top right of page) > SUPPORT > Submit a Ticket (top right of SUPPORT page).

Anet employees do post on here occasionally, but usually only if the issue is widespread (effecting MANY players) or of nature that other players cannot assist with first.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)