Hopefully A Solution For Crashes.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Helltrager.8136

Helltrager.8136

Hey Everyone,

I’ve been having the same problems as most of the posts for weeks now and no matter what was suggested, it never fixed the game. First I had connection problems while trying to download and after finding a fix for that, I played for 15mins and then the game froze. It kept freezing until it wouldn’t even load. I even had a few BSOD’s.
I have it fixed and extremely stable now.
Firstly, if you are having problems finishing the download, you can go to the properties of you network adapter through the network and sharing centre and select the IPv4 line in the connections list, then click properties and tick the “Use the following DNS servers addresses” and fill them out as 8.8.8.8 and below 8.8.4.4. I have to give credit for this to Cervani.8263.
Downloading the game is the most important part of the problems. The Gw2.dat file is an image file and therefore subject to corruption due to mismatched MD5 checksums, anyone familiar with downloading Linux distro’s will know about those. The corruption is caused by anything during the download from the source, like running your PC heavy with other applications, to downloading other files at the same time, so it’s best to start it and walk away, and make sure you don’t use your network from elsewhere either, just to be sure.
Then once you have the game fully downloaded, do a -repair run straight after to make sure the image is complete. Then I copied the Gw2.dat file into a separate folder as a backup, so I didn’t have to download it from scratch should it become unstable again.
Then run the game and it should be completely perfect and stable. Mine is now, but it’s been an extremely frustrating couple of weeks trying to get my head around it.
I’ve suggested to the support team that a torrent file be made available or just a single file that doesn’t require the Gw2Setup.exe to download it.

Now after all this, you may still have problems, in which case I appologise for claiming a solution. But I now have the game running beautifully and it’s because I realised that the Gw2.dat file is a very fragile image.

I really hope this helps most of you, because I almost gave up.

Thanks for your time. And fingers crossed.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

I’m glad you got things working.

However, the issues you describe should not happen with a STABLE PC and properly working internet.

If a file is getting corrupted, you have one (or more) of these problems:

1) Hardware problem.
2) Virus/rootkit infection.
3) Software conflict (possible, but this should NOT cause file corruption).
4) Internet/network/ISP issues (when downloading said file).

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

Just to give more insight on that DNS thing; 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are Google’s Public DNS servers (primary and secondary). OpenDNS is another popular choice for alternate DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (primary and secondary).

In most cases (but not all), your ISP’s DNS may be slower than either OpenDNS or Google DNS. You will have to verify which DNS works best for you.

There is a program that actually can tell you how fast OpenDNS, Google DNS, and your ISP’s DNS react (it’s a java app), but I don’t know what it’s called.

Posted by: Helltrager.8136

Helltrager.8136

It amazes me how some people love to add a negative opinion to a post that offers a possible fix regardless of it’s length, yet don’t offer any alternatives or solutions. How do you think that you are contributing to the problem?
Basically what you are saying, is that, the GW2Setup.exe is infallible, so if anyone is having problems with crashes, errors, etc., it must be there own fault.
Assume for an instant, hypothetically of course, that my hardware is tip top, I don’t have any viruses or rootkits, I don’t have any conflicting software and my internet is fine. What then?
Because you’re obviously experts in the field, so what do you do if you ever have crashes or errors? Even though I doubt you do. Such intellectual skyscrapers as yourselves could be a great help by offering your opinions to all the other threads regarding these matters.
Espionage has actually added some valuable information, so why don’t you?
I fixed my problem via a rudimentary and methodical system of deductive reasoning, and that is why I listed everything I did.
So if you have more than impulsive egotistical opinions to share, by all means, share them, and all us poor Epsilons can bathe in your brilliance.

(edited by Helltrager.8136)

Posted by: Soul.6572

Soul.6572

Basically what you are saying, is that, the GW2Setup.exe is infallible, so if anyone is having problems with crashes, errors, etc., it must be there own fault.

Indeed some people need to get off their high horses, nothing has changed with my setup, only thing that happened was the patch. Since then I’ve been having crashes like there’s no tomorrow.

Attachments:

(edited by Soul.6572)