How to run gw2 in high graphics

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Demonts.4593

Demonts.4593

So I bought a Dell inspiron these are my specs.
Intel® Core™ i5-4440 CPU@ 3.10GHz 3.10 Ghz
Intel integrated graphics 4000
8.00GB of DDR3 ram.

I can run the game in low at a good 60-80 fps but when I got to high it goes down to like 14. I assume this is because of my bad graphics but is it? Because a lot of people tell me graphics card doesn’t really matter for this game. Is there something I need to toggle to get better performance. My processor is quad core and seems to be pretty fast any reason why its being so bad on high graphics?

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Can you post a screenshot of your graphics settings?

Some of the options don’t do anything special and in my opinion make the game look worse.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

While this game is more CPU intensive, that intel 4000 is incredibly low end which does not help.

Posted by: clarkcd.6532

clarkcd.6532

I find that by turning down the number of characters drawn I can max all other settings and not have any FPS issues.

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Graphics cards don’t matter because the game is programmed to use the CPU more than the graphics card. It’s a complaint that’s been made ever since the beta stages.

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

If you have an open PCI express slot on your motherboard, can you just add one yourself? Just keep in mind your power supply and the amp rail to the card, so you might not be able to get the best graphics card. However, it’s a Dell, so you might not be able to add your own stuff since they have weirdly styled, proprietory cases.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Demonts.4593

My Power supply is 300w which seems to me what most gpu’s require

Attachments:

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

Turn OFF Effect LOD, and you can probably up something else.

Also, 300W is your total power capability, which is shared by all of your computer’s components. If a GPU requires 300W, then your power supply needs to me a lot higher.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Spiderwick.1879

Spiderwick.1879

Oh boy those keybinds. I would love to see you play with those.

Demonts.4593

those are the best keybinds

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Basically the Intel HD Graphics 4600 just doesn’t cut it for gaming. While Crossplay is right about CPU being important, when around numerous other players, something this low end isn’t going to work. So yes, you will need a better video card if you insist on playing at 1920×1080.

Assuming it’s a standard width tower, it sounds like you got a Dell Inspiron 3000 Desktop like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-desktop-i5-4440-processor/dp/B00I1A77CU

If it’s a slimline model that limits your video card possibilities even more than looking for a low power (electrical power) video card.

The best low wattage card you can buy is the GTX 750 Ti. Max wattage used is 60 watts. The card is a bit pricey at $150 at NewEgg (assuming you are from the US) but it blows away the Intel GPU in the i5 and doesn’t require external power. A cheaper but much slower card is the R7 250 (not the 250x) at $80. It should have a similar power profile to the 750 Ti but as I said, much slower. There is also the GTX 750 (no Ti) that goes for around $100 and falls closer to the 750 Ti performance but closer to the price of the R7 250.

Here’s the only concern, will the power supply you currently have be enough. The eVGA GTX 750 does list a minimum 300 watt PSU and claims the card only maxes out at 55 watts. So in theory it should be fine but prebuilt system have a sad tendency to use the cheapest PSUs on the market for their mass market units.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Prebuilds always have low end hardware. That Intel HD4000 is not good for gaming. It’s good for office work, since prebuilds are usually used for office works, not gaming.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If nothing else, I would change ‘Sub-sampling’. For me, anyway, that causes horrible graphics.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

I can run the game in low at a good 60-80 fps but when I got to high it goes down to like 14. I assume this is because of my bad graphics but is it?

Nutshell answer: yes, it is the weak onboard GPU that is causing this.

Fixing it: Check motherboard for PCI-e slots. It should have at least one, but make sure. If you find one, rejoice! Buy a better PSU (and it really is more than the W rating you need to be looking at) and a decent PCI-e Graphics card and you should be able to crank it up to High. Except in massive zergs, which will cripple any system.

Really, if this PC is new and within the return window, I’d recommend getting a full refund. You can get a decent gaming PC for the price of this system plus the upgrades mentioned. You don’t need Dell motherboard/case/etc. holding you back.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I find that by turning down the number of characters drawn I can max all other settings and not have any FPS issues.

Same here, for general PvE turning down character limit works, for WvW turning down character quality might sometimes be requires to ensure optimal FPS (depending on zerg size of course).

Demonts.4593

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Graphics cards don’t matter because the game is programmed to use the CPU more than the graphics card. It’s a complaint that’s been made ever since the beta stages.

I don’t know enough about the technical side of things to explain how but the graphics card definitely does matter.

Last time I upgraded my PC the new motherboard and processor (Intel i5) arrived a week before the graphics card. I put them in anyway because my old processor was dying and spent a week playing on the lowest settings, getting 40-50 fps if I was out of combat and no one else was on screen. At one point I tried WvW and managed to get it down to 7.

Graphics card finally arrived, I got it in and I was able to turn all the settings up to near maximum (although I keep antialiasing off because I think it looks better) and get about 90 fps out of combat and 60-40 in big battles/WvW zergs.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

The best low wattage card you can buy is the GTX 750 Ti. Max wattage used is 60 watts. The card is a bit pricey at $150 at NewEgg (assuming you are from the US) but it blows away the Intel GPU in the i5 and doesn’t require external power. A cheaper but much slower card is the R7 250 (not the 250x) at $80. It should have a similar power profile to the 750 Ti but as I said, much slower. There is also the GTX 750 (no Ti) that goes for around $100 and falls closer to the 750 Ti performance but closer to the price of the R7 250.

Here’s the only concern, will the power supply you currently have be enough. The eVGA GTX 750 does list a minimum 300 watt PSU and claims the card only maxes out at 55 watts. So in theory it should be fine but prebuilt system have a sad tendency to use the cheapest PSUs on the market for their mass market units.

The GTX 750 itself doesn’t have any 6 pin power connector and it draws less power than a Radeon HD 3650 (which I have in an old emachines with a 300w power supply.)

The 750 was designed to run in any system packing a 300 watt power supply. I think the safest bet is just the base 750.

Posted by: Silverstarre.5247

Silverstarre.5247

Research the card before you buy one. I would go to the dell website. They have an option on there that will let you look up graphics cards that are compatible with your build. Once you know what’s compatible, you can either buy from Dell or go a buy the card elsewhere.

Behellagh.1468

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Drayven.6408

Drayven.6408

I can run the game in low at a good 60-80 fps but when I got to high it goes down to like 14. I assume this is because of my bad graphics but is it?

Nutshell answer: yes, it is the weak onboard GPU that is causing this.

Fixing it: Check motherboard for PCI-e slots. It should have at least one, but make sure. If you find one, rejoice! Buy a better PSU (and it really is more than the W rating you need to be looking at) and a decent PCI-e Graphics card and you should be able to crank it up to High. Except in massive zergs, which will cripple any system.

Really, if this PC is new and within the return window, I’d recommend getting a full refund. You can get a decent gaming PC for the price of this system plus the upgrades mentioned. You don’t need Dell motherboard/case/etc. holding you back.

I wouldn’t go and say -any- system would be crippled by massive zergs… I giggle as I run around and through a zerg, easily pushing 40-50 FPS and have graphics settings maxxed out.

To stay on topic… The main thing I want to know here is from the OP, and that is what is the exact model number of your PC? Yes the graphics card is a bit low, too low to be trying to run GW2 at decent settings… Before we can move forward however, I need to know the exact model number… Also I need to know if your PC was bought with the extended warranty, or with just the base 1 year. If it came with just the 1 year, then how old is it exactly?

Posted by: iAsuno.9654

iAsuno.9654

how much did you spend? and even if people say that GW2 is CPU bound it doesn’t mean that you could forget about graphics cards. Intel integrated GPUs are NOT for gaming. sure you can play less demanding games but if you even plain to game decently then at least get a decent GPU. just set render sampling to native and try to tweak settings in which you feel comfortable.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

…even if people say that GW2 is CPU bound it doesn’t mean that you could forget about graphics cards.

Very true, I see someone saying above that gpu doesn’t matter. They do. I had to replace my gpu recently and stuck in an older card I had lying around in the meantime and my fps plummeted to single digits. I waited till I got my replacement before I played again.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

The GTX 750 itself doesn’t have any 6 pin power connector and it draws less power than a Radeon HD 3650 (which I have in an old emachines with a 300w power supply.)

The 750 was designed to run in any system packing a 300 watt power supply. I think the safest bet is just the base 750.

These guys know what they are talking about, listen to them.

The best option for a Plug and Play solution is the 750 or 750Ti (depending on your budget). As it should just work with your system with out needing anything else.

Any other GPU and you are looking at a Power Supply upgrade…in the least.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Avelos.6798

Oh I forgot to add, that there are even some GTX 750 TI that don’t have 6 pin power connector. Most of them just run off the PCI Express slot at 75 watts. Ones like the EVGA Superclocked have the 6 pin. Do research on the cards to find which 750 TIs do not have the 6 pins if you want the TI version.

Posted by: Silverstarre.5247

Silverstarre.5247

Depending on the model of computer, he may also need to see if the new graphics card is compatible with the version of BIOS his computer has. If he has a UEFIBIOS he can use GTX 750. If he has a VBIOS he will need to see if the manufacturer makes a GTX750 with a VBIOS update.

I don’t know as much about the GTX750 ti

Behellagh.1468

Oh I forgot to add, that there are even some GTX 750 TI that don’t have 6 pin power connector. Most of them just run off the PCI Express slot at 75 watts. Ones like the EVGA Superclocked have the 6 pin. Do research on the cards to find which 750 TIs do not have the 6 pins if you want the TI version.

Actually the 750 Ti was designed to not need the 6-pin PCIe power connector. Now if some manufacturer factory OC it and toss on a huge double fan cooler, it might need a power connector because it’s borderline in power draw from the PCIe slot.

RIP City of Heroes

Avelos.6798

Actually the 750 Ti was designed to not need the 6-pin PCIe power connector. Now if some manufacturer factory OC it and toss on a huge double fan cooler, it might need a power connector because it’s borderline in power draw from the PCIe slot.

Problem here is that there’s more factory overclocked units than vanilla / vanilla with a custom shroud so to me it seems reasonable to say it how I said lmao.

Behellagh.1468

Which is why I suggested the eVGA, at least the ones with a single fan. Visual inspection on NewEgg shows that there isn’t a power connector on those and they do list a 300 watt minimum PSU unlike others that do have a power connector.

So either the GTX 750 1GB -2751 or -2753 or the GTX 750 Ti 2GB -3751 or -3753, all without a power connector. I would personally lean toward the -2751 or -3751 as they are the non overclocked ones. Heck, I would go with the GTX 750 1GB and sacrifice the 10% performance over the Ti model just to be on the safe side.

We are talking about replacing the Intel HD Graphics 4600 here. Even a standard clock GTX 750 is a bit more than 4x faster (comparing 3DMark Fire Strike).

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Goatroth.7813

Goatroth.7813

My EVGA Superclocked 750 Ti doesn’t have a 6 pin connector. You might be thinking of the slightly more powerful model, the FTW edition with the ACX cooler (which is complete overkill, by the way… my card never goes over 60c at full load, idles at 27c).