I want to know one thing.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Avectius.3271

Avectius.3271

Has ANet ever admitted that there were horrible optimization issues with the game?

Here’s the final question that needs to be asked: Were there optimization issues or did they lie to us about the minimum system requirements?

There are still hundreds of individuals who can’t even run this properly at the lowest settings. So far, ANet’s approach on the issue has been horrible.

Thank you.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

Both.

The minimum specs are ..rediculus. You can ‘run’ the game ..but you cant ‘play’ it.

The optimisation issues are an arguable thing. All modern mmo’s that have to deal with large numbers of player characters in close proximity have issues eventually. Games that are generaly considered very well optimized will still hit a wall. Like Tera, runs perfectly ..till you get a rift event going with 100 players..then fps tanks to <15fps no matter what system you have. So in that respect GW2 does well to be able to stay above 30 fps so long as you have a beasty OC’d cpu.

But the issues could have been avoided or atleast reduced if they built a new game engine instead of using a modified version of GW1 and if they used DX11 and not the old DX9.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Both.

The minimum specs are ..ridiculus. You can ‘run’ the game ..but you cant ‘play’ it.

The optimisation issues are an arguable thing. All modern mmo’s that have to deal with large numbers of player characters in close proximity have issues eventually. Games that are generaly considered very well optimized will still hit a wall. Like Tera, runs perfectly ..till you get a rift event going with 100 players..then fps tanks to <15fps no matter what system you have. So in that respect GW2 does well to be able to stay above 30 fps so long as you have a beasty OC’d cpu.

But the issues could have been avoided or at least reduced if they built a new game engine instead of using a modified version of GW1 and if they used DX11 and not the old DX9.

That’s why I have at least some hope for TESO … they’re developing their own game engine. I’ve played WoW and I’ve played Rift, and I like the mechanics and game design of GW2 so much better, but the technical execution fails miserably and simply ruins it. It’s truly a shame.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: alphacentari.7692

alphacentari.7692

The fact that you need to OC a modern i5/i7/ cpu to run this game really well is downright shameful something is really wrong with that.

Fort Aspenwood -RET

Posted by: Cantur Soulfyre.5409

Cantur Soulfyre.5409

I just upgraded with a new mobo, processor, and memory. i5-3500, MSI Z77 mobo, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Same video card from the old machine, Radeon HD 6670. Run the game on all max settings except shadows (sky and terrain) and sampling is native.

The game was even playable on my old machine, PentiumD, 6GB DDR2 RAM, generic Intel mobo, 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

None of this was overclocked.

Cantar Soulfyre-Norn W|Canter Soulfyre-Human G|Cantirus Foghorn – Charr R
Born and raised in Sorrow’s Furnace – WvWvWest Coast Squad
“All hail the mighty Flame Ram!!!” – said by Someone Somewhere at Sometime

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I just upgraded with a new mobo, processor, and memory. i5-3500, MSI Z77 mobo, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Same video card from the old machine, Radeon HD 6670. Run the game on all max settings except shadows (sky and terrain) and sampling is native.

The game was even playable on my old machine, PentiumD, 6GB DDR2 RAM, generic Intel mobo, 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

None of this was overclocked.

Until I upgrade our computers my wife and I are stuck with Win7-32 and 4 gig of RAM, and we both repeatedly crash to desktop with “out-of-memory” errors at all the usual places … porting from one zone to another, quick camera pans when there are lots of players around, etc. Most people who run similar systems have similar problems.

However … there are at least a few posts in this forum from people who have been running ancient computer builds with virtually no crashes. My wife often plays GW2 with an old friend of hers from her WoW days, and this guy also is running an old Pentium (1.4 gHz or something like that) with (if I remember correctly) 2 gig of RAM and only an onboard video chip … and he claims he almost never crashes. My only guess is that maybe a really slow system might process data slowly enough that the memory doesn’t have a chance to overflow before it pages out. Who knows for sure …

In any case, GW2 clearly has some squirrely code that makes it questionable to make conclusions on why this puppy keeps pooping on our rug, especially since we’ve had virtually no reaction or support from ArenaNet on these issues. No doubt a high end system provides the best chance for mostly acceptable results, but other than that the results are somewhat more mixed.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]