In need of a laptop

In need of a laptop

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Miksa.9285

Miksa.9285

Greetings, I’m in need of a laptop and, since it’s very important it is able to run Guild Wars 2, I thought I’d ask you guys for opinion. I don’t have money for a new full-fledged gaming laptop, my price range is up to 750 euros.

A good laptop I’ve found for this price (that is also available in Serbia, mind you, tech things are always more expensive here)
the Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, here are its specs:

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 3230M, full HD 15,6 inch screen
nVidia GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5
4GB of DDR3 1600 MHz RAM (will add another 4GB once I buy the laptop)

Do you think this laptop will be able to run GW2 smoothly on medium to high graphics? If not, any suggestions for a different laptop?

In need of a laptop

Miksa.9285

~bumping up my post~

In need of a laptop

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

if it has a solid state disk and not a hard disk i am sure you will be fine to play the game smooth , just it needs more than 4 ram ( at least 6 gb to play games ) if you install win 7 64bit.

In need of a laptop

Posted by: hoegarden.4287

hoegarden.4287

He must install a new windows anyway if he want to go over the 4GB.
The laptop is probably sold with just a win7 home premium 32bit.
Overall a descent laptop for that price.

In need of a laptop

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

if it has a solid state disk and not a hard disk i am sure you will be fine to play the game smooth , just it needs more than 4 ram ( at least 6 gb to play games ) if you install win 7 64bit.

How do I know if a laptop has solid state and not hard disk? As in, what is it abbreviated to/related to?

| Lithia |

In need of a laptop

Miksa.9285

I’ll be installing Windows 8 64bit on the device, since I’m a student I get it for free.
As for the RAM, I’ll upgrade as soon as I can after purchasing by adding another 4GB.

edit: Unfortunately, I don’t see this one having a variant with an SSD in any of the shops in Serbia, so I’ll be getting just the 1TB HDD.

In need of a laptop

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

A solid state disk (really? SSD with an “a” in front gets filtered?) will do nothing for his FPS or how the laptop plays the game, all it will do is help with loading screens. For GW2 you also don’t “need” more than 4GB of RAM. Most of the time GW2 will not use more than 2GB, also being that the system comes with 4GB of RAM it will more than likely have a 64bit OS to start with.

To the OP, is there a reason for needing a laptop? If you do not need one I would go for a desktop as you will get far better performance for the money. If it is because you travel allot and can only play on the go or can only have one system and need to be mobile, then it is not to bad of a laptop, don’t expect great performance, but it will play the game. Price wise, I can’t speak to it as I don’t know normal prices for your area.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

In need of a laptop

Miksa.9285

To the OP, is there a reason for needing a laptop? If you do not need one I would go for a desktop as you will get far better performance for the money. If it is because you travel allot and can only play on the go or can only have one system and need to be mobile, then it is not to bad of a laptop, don’t expect great performance, but it will play the game. Price wise, I can’t speak to it as I don’t know normal prices for your area.

I really need a laptop since I’ll need to be mobile next year of uni, dorm to classes, when I get home I need to constantly switch from my mom’s to my dad’s.. etc, so yeah mobility is really something I need.
As for a desktop, I own a very good one, yet it achieves little to no performance in Guild Wars 2 (the curse of AMD, right?) , but I’ll be selling it to buy this laptop, since I won’t really be @ home to use it.