Local.dat filesize bloating - causing issues?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Figured I’d post this in its own thread as it appears the Local.dat file (the file that’s supposed to simply save your preferences) gets bloated over time.

Creating a fresh Local.dat file it starts out as a 72kb file apparently, but within moments it grew to 1.7mb. My older Local.dat file at that time had already reached 30mb in about 36 days; and the one before that (from launch till Nov.3) was 40mb.

I do not know why this file gets bigger and bigger over time, but it depicts a similar behaviour to some games that had savegame-bloating (causing them to become corrupted over time). Might the same be true here?

You see, like others I started having audio issues (woo woo siren) that caused my game to crash. But renaming my Local.dat (so the client gives you a new one) seemingly fixed these issues. Fixed, until a month later when I got the same issues again and found out my new Local.dat had grown over 30mb.

So to me this is a bug, as the Local.dat file should not get bigger and bigger over time. All it’s supposed to do (afaik) is store a couple of user-preferences relating to Audio/Video settings and username/password.

Attachments:

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Mira.4906

Mira.4906

I compared your file to my file and for the one from launch they are almost the same size, I think since you are creating more local Dat files that they contain the same infor but when you split them the information is sent to Local Dat and doest reconize old local Dat as the same file.

I had a similar issue that when I tried to move the Gw2.exe file from my beta folder to my desktop it started to redownload the entire game.

Guild Leader for [Myth] Darkhaven

Aveneo.2068

Not sure what you mean Mira. I renamed my old versions so they would not be recognized by the client.

And as you can see here, my latest Local.dat is already growing. Yesterday it was 1.7mb and today it’s already 12mb!

There really seems to be something wrong here, as a file that mainly stores local user-preferences shouldn’t be able to grow.

Attachments:

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

it doesn’t just store user prefs…….

Posted by: Mira.4906

Mira.4906

ok, wait a few days if it gets much larger than 40,545 KB I say there is a problem, but if it grows until a value close to that value than I believe it is working as intended.

Guild Leader for [Myth] Darkhaven

Aveneo.2068

Alright, I’ll keep an eye on it. At any rate it seems the ‘woo woo’ siren bug may be unrelated as I got it again just now

Aveneo.2068

it doesn’t just store user prefs…….

You know what else it might store?

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

cached character and inventory information, authorisation data, etc.

Posted by: Gummi.4310

Gummi.4310

Reviving this thread as there is more data supporting OPs hypothesis. (i.e possible bloating causing issues) Several people are reporting load time decreases and FPS increases after deleting/renaming the local.dat file.

The other local.dat renamers:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/18eqxv/i_just_cut_my_load_times_to_a_fraction_of_what/

Inspired by this vid from october last year:
http://youtu.be/w4GM7mqGKUQ

What does the local.dat file store? How would deleting it improve performance? Is it advisable to do so?

Posted by: nyeh.4517

nyeh.4517

Is there a way to relocate the local.dat file?
Because I have my users folder in my D : drive which is where my documents is (where gw2 makes the local.dat file) but I want it to make the file under my C: drive (my ssd).

I tried moving the folders around but every time it would just make a new file in my docs.

Posted by: Ryokuro.8125

Ryokuro.8125

Because I have my users folder in my D : drive which is where my documents is (where gw2 makes the local.dat file) but I want it to make the file under my C: drive (my ssd).

I tried moving the folders around but every time it would just make a new file in my docs.

It’s easier to show you then for me to explain it, but I guess you have to go to C:\Users\“your name” and you should see all the folders, like My Music, My Videos, My Pictures, etc… Find My Documents, then right click and go into the properties, go to the location tab, and then click on restore default. That should reassign the folder location back to the SSD and you can go ahead and move the folder’s contents back to the SSD.

Attachments:

Core i7 3770K OC’d @ 4.5Ghz ~Asus P8Z77 V-Deluxe
GTX980 Strix ~ 32GB RAM
Crucial m4 256Gb SSD ~ Seagate 1TB 7.2k RPM HDD

Posted by: nyeh.4517

nyeh.4517

It’s easier to show you then for me to explain it, but I guess you have to go to C:\Users\“your name” and you should see all the folders, like My Music, My Videos, My Pictures, etc… Find My Documents, then right click and go into the properties, go to the location tab, and then click on restore default. That should reassign the folder location back to the SSD and you can go ahead and move the folder’s contents back to the SSD.

I wanted to move the location of the .dat file not my doc folder.

Posted by: Ryokuro.8125

Ryokuro.8125

I wanted to move the location of the .dat file not my doc folder.

That’s the only way. GW2 has the location hard coded to use the “My Docs” directory. Gotta move it to move the .dat

Core i7 3770K OC’d @ 4.5Ghz ~Asus P8Z77 V-Deluxe
GTX980 Strix ~ 32GB RAM
Crucial m4 256Gb SSD ~ Seagate 1TB 7.2k RPM HDD

Posted by: Inikotu.1569

Inikotu.1569

Thanks for reminding me. I swear I did this a few months back as well.

Original Size: 60.6 MB
Original Load Time: 46 seconds (Lion’s Arch)

New Size: 1.77 MB
New Load Time: 17 seconds (Lion’s Arch)

I wonder if this has to be deleted after every holiday/event patch.