Looking for an FPS/Performance Update

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Lister.5678

Lister.5678

I do realise fps issues are known about and I give a lot of leeway to ArenaNet since the game hasn’t been about that long, but I am really having trouble playing without getting sore eyes and/or a bit of a headache because of said frame rate. I’d like to add I have tried all the settings mentioned in the forum.

When GW2 first started my fps was say 25-30 in towns and went to 60 in the world. Since the recent content addition I have noticed an incredible decrease in my performance. Running through Lion’s Arch I get 11-12 fps – of course if I stand in certain places I get 20 – in the world I get 25-30, if I’m really lucky I get 35-40. In the Ascalon fractal I get 6-10 fps the whole way.

Monitoring my CPU and GPU usage is really angering me at how poor the optimisation is and how it’s got worse (or how ArenaNet tried to make the game run on the most amount of PCs possible) and how bad it seems to have got recently with the patch. My GPU never going over 40% usage, most of the time it’s at 20%. My CPU at 40% most of the time and 60% every now and then.

I’d like to know what priority these performance issues are at. I’d like to think they are very close to, if not at the top of the list. None of my 4 friends that bought GW2 are still playing, in fact they quit after 3-4 weeks because of frame rate and performance alone. They want to play but can’t put up with the fps. If these were fixed it would pull more people back to the game, oh and also one quit because the camera zoom was ‘pathetic’ as he put it. I sincerely hope the option to have more zoom out will be a permanent option and not just enabled automatically for certain fights.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

The developers has acknowledged the game’s performance issues and wants to make it better, but it takes time. You can read what they commented so far in Q11 here It goes in detail as to why the performance is like this.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

Indeed, they don’t test the game on NASA supercomputers, so they are aware of the performance issues, it is a complex problem, so don’t expect a full fix anytime soon. Just deal with it for a couple of years untill hardware catch up with this game, is the same with many MMOs, remember how did WoW ran on P4 processors? Some ppl say this game suck cuz WoW runs prefectly smooth and that is not a fair comparison, WoW is an ancient game, so it is to be expected after 9 years we have hardware good enough to make it smooth.
P.S read the Kirito’s thread, u will find valuable info about the performance problems and why GW2 do not push ur hardware to the limits like other games do.

(edited by Rampage.7145)

Posted by: Lister.5678

Lister.5678

Indeed, they don’t test the game on NASA supercomputers, so they are aware of the performance issues, it is a complex problem, so don’t expect a full fix anytime soon. Just deal with it for a couple of years untill hardware catch up with this game, is the same with many MMOs, remember how did WoW ran on P4 processors? Some ppl say this game suck cuz WoW runs prefectly smooth and that is not a fair comparison, WoW is an ancient game, so it is to be expected after 9 years we have hardware good enough to make it smooth.
P.S read the Kirito’s thread, u will find valuable info about the performance problems and why GW2 do not push ur hardware to the limits like other games do.

I played WoW for about 7 years and played since about 2 months after release, I had no performance problems at all if I’m being honest and obviously it is a silly comparison comparing it to WoW. You’re outlook is to wait a couple of years? If that would be the case I won’t be playing much longer, buying an expensive processor to get average – if that – performance on a game will not be happening. Like I said it’s got much worse since the content patch which is why I’m so annoyed as it was borderline before..

The developers has acknowledged the game’s performance issues and wants to make it better, but it takes time. You can read what they commented so far in Q11 here It goes in detail as to why the performance is like this.

No offense but to me you didn’t read my post fully since I said I knew the issues were known about.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Yea you said you want to know the dev’s priorities on the issue. You can extrapolate that from their comments they have made regarding the matter. I just pointed you to a place to read it.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

magically, i have really nice framerates since yesterday – didn’t changed anything on my system lately
i even increased the in-game’s quality settings and still 60FPS mostly (even at lion’s arch)
almost perfect now and more than just playable – enjoyable

is anyone able to confirm this?

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Posted by: Ocelot.3148

Ocelot.3148

They surely fix something, but they no mentioning anything so i wonder what’s happened. Even some of my friends noticed this fps performance increase from today.
Mah..

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

the client hasn’t changed at all, so its not that…

probably just having a day with few people on

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

the client hasn’t changed at all, so its not that…

probably just having a day with few people on

i don’t think THAT much people left the past days…still having 15% more performance than 2 days ago

i don’t think server optimizations would need client patching

but unless some facts about my performance boost coming up, i’ll treat this as a magic miracle

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”