Low Frame Rate on my GPU?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Zeratul.7153

Zeratul.7153

So I recently got my GTX 760 from newegg and I was all happy that I can play my games on high settings and still maintain a 60 fps. All my games are fine, all high settings, 60+ fps, especially on Battlefield 3 when the required specs are higher than GW2. So, I go to GW2, pump up the settings to high appearance and auto detect and I’m getting like 20-30 fps? and around 15 on random frame spikes too when I’m turning the camera around. What gives? >:/
Can someone explain please/

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Can you give more information? Where was this and how many other players were on the screen? With everything maxxed, especially shadows, you will see low FPS on crowded areas such as boss events, Lion’s Arch and WvW zergs.

One thing that might also be the cause is too low memory. How much you’re running at?

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Battlefield 3 and Guild Wars 2 can’t be compared. GW2 is a CPU intensive game whereas BF3 is a GPU intensive game. What’s your processor? If it’s an AMD processor, that’d be why. Intels have the superior single thread performance needed for this game. AMDs are good and all but GW2 favors the intels. Awful optimization.

(edited by Avelos.6798)

Zeratul.7153

Can you give more information? Where was this and how many other players were on the screen? With everything maxxed, especially shadows, you will see low FPS on crowded areas such as boss events, Lion’s Arch and WvW zergs.

One thing that might also be the cause is too low memory. How much you’re running at?

So I got 10G of RAM, i was in a low populated area and never was in a WvW nor Lion’s Arch.

Zeratul.7153

Battlefield 3 and Guild Wars 2 can’t be compared. GW2 is a CPU intensive game whereas BF3 is a GPU intensive game. What’s your processor? If it’s an AMD processor, that’d be why. Intels have the superior single thread performance needed for this game. AMDs are good and all but GW2 favors the intels. Awful optimization.

OHHHHH, Yes i have a AMD 6120 Six-Core Processor. Darn it, are u serious? SO that’s the problem? Uhgg -.-

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah your CPU might be the bottleneck here.

A good advice for the future is to use a GPU/CPU monitor to see which of the components is being bottlenecked. In your case, I assume the graphs would show near 100% usage for 2-4 cores of your CPU and less than 60% usage for your GPU.

One – Piken Square

Avelos.6798

OHHHHH, Yes i have a AMD 6120 Six-Core Processor. Darn it, are u serious? SO that’s the problem? Uhgg -.-

Hey you can still get enjoyable performance at least.
I also recommend, if you’re able to, overclocking it.

Posted by: hiccups.3790

hiccups.3790

[…]
In your case, I assume the graphs would show near 100% usage for 2-4 cores of your CPU and less than 60% usage for your GPU.

He wrote it is a SIX (6) CORE! And it is a AMD FX 6120. I assume this CPU is running at 3,6 Ghz. This is surely NO bottleneck!
The performance of GW2 is just bad. I have the same… playin all games on ULTRA except GW2. I need to set it on medium to maintain 60 fps.

yours sincerely, hiccups

Tom Gore.4035

[…]
In your case, I assume the graphs would show near 100% usage for 2-4 cores of your CPU and less than 60% usage for your GPU.

He wrote it is a SIX (6) CORE! And it is a AMD FX 6120. I assume this CPU is running at 3,6 Ghz. This is surely NO bottleneck!
The performance of GW2 is just bad. I have the same… playin all games on ULTRA except GW2. I need to set it on medium to maintain 60 fps.

Yes I read exactly what he wrote. Too bad GW2 is not utilizing 6 cores. Hell, it is struggling to use 4. AMD has lousy performance per core, you can check benchmarks for this CPU and see how it fares against i5’s which have only 4 cores.

Only in well threaded applications does this CPU come close to Intel CPUs. I’m pretty sure in the OP’s case the GPU is running at barely 50% load.

One – Piken Square

Avelos.6798

[…]

No, it is a bottleneck. I have an 8 core at 4 GHz (4.1 turboing most of the time for GW2) and it’s still bottlenecking because of the inferior single thread performance.

GW2 favors dual cores and quad cores. Especially intel variety.

(edited by Avelos.6798)