Purchased GW2 1st Sept. Unable to play. Crashes/Bsod/Freezes.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Clarty.9864

Clarty.9864

Hello again, I fear all my topics and my single support ticket are lost and ignored.

I had a perfectly solid and stable PC up to 1st Sept. Since I introduced GW2 to the computer I have had to endure nothing but PC crashes. Freezes. Bsod.

Now I am totally unable to use the PC. Can not even watch a film on it.

I have tested the Hardware and it all passes. Most of the parts are all under a 2 years old. Some parts of my hardware like my RAM is only 3-4 days old now due to me trying to resolve the problems.

I just want some action from Arenanet now with my ticket!

There is something not right with the GW2 client and it is breaking computers. It is fitness testing computers so hard it is breaking hardware.!

This is not acceptable. I am going to have buy more components now in order to get my computer working again. This is also not acceptable.

My experience with GW1 one was much love and respect for Arenanet.
My experience with GW2 is actually worse than my Diablo3 One.. O.o

I am heartbroken guys.. v upset and I am getting angry.

Posted by: stevekharon.7129

stevekharon.7129

95% of the time you have a BSOD with a computer, it’s because of memory stick problem. You just said that you bought some new ram 3-4 days ago. Can you test with another set of ram to see if everything goes fine?

Don’t get angry when it’s not their fault. No game can kill a computer, lol.

Clarty.9864

passed with memtest but this RAM is bought to replace what was there incase that was the fault. If you understand me

Clarty.9864

It is their fault I have not heard from support on this matter.

This is not a free to play generic Korean mmo!

Posted by: stevekharon.7129

stevekharon.7129

Ho I see. I just stumbled on some other posts similar to your problem, maybe you are right, there’s maybe some memory leaks causing systems to crash? Did you try to play at very low setting, just to test if you can play longer, that would definitately means it’s a memory leak or something! But I still don’t think it can damage a computer. I understand your pain, tho.

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

Have you tried what have other suggested? Like connecting directly to your router? or disabling your router’s firewall?

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

Clarty.9864

yeah I have tried all of that, I just can no longer install the game now.

I have formatted and installed clean W7 – sp1 then GW2.. .. it failed and crapped out non stop.

I am IT systems administrator (infrastructure) in particular an Application Packaging expert.
Believe me when I say an app can trash your PC!
When I was a student my programming tutor showed us a v simple assembly code infinite loop that accelerated and eventually cooked the CPU. It made real smoke!

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

Hmm I’m thinking did you install all your chipset drivers as well? Even with SP1 there’s some drivers that are still missing or it’s recommended to check manufacturers own driver vs win 7. Also read that there’s a new 12.9 cata beta drivers.

New gw2 install or just copy from external HD?

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

Clarty.9864

Hey all sorry for late reply I had to go to court today for Jury Duty.

I currently do not have a GW2 install. I deleted it all then tried to re download it and install it. But I can not get the download to complete with out the computer crashing.

So I put in a new 1TB SATA and built w7+sp1 and driver updates on to it and this is what I am now posting this from.
My download of GW2 got to 2gb then I crashed and have not tried to resume. I am now hesitant to open the INSTALLDIR for GW2.

GRR.. my head is done in by this. I am never a happy bunny when my own PC is fubar lol appolagies if I get ranty or seemingly sharp tongued..

Posted by: majestic.8129

majestic.8129

I am IT systems administrator (infrastructure) in particular an Application Packaging expert.
Believe me when I say an app can trash your PC!
When I was a student my programming tutor showed us a v simple assembly code infinite loop that accelerated and eventually cooked the CPU. It made real smoke!

Sorry but this is utter rubbish, the code could only run the CPU at 100% similar to linpack and can only cook a component if your cooling is non-existent, unless it is altering the voltage range but that’s another story.

Anyway most common causes:
- Memory (run several loops of memtest86+)
- PSU Failure
- Overheating

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

BSOD’s are generally a driver issue. It would take some very special circumstances for a piece of software itself to cause a BSOD.

Given memory or drivers, I’d blame drivers every time.

Could also be your CPU if it’s either flawed, overheating, or you’re overclocking it. (same with GPU).

Rest assured that it’s not GW2 that’s breaking your computer in this way…

Clarty.9864

I think it is fair to say there is an issue somewhere.

GW2 either caused it or identified it.

What is bothering a lot of people and myself included is that all other games released to the public domain run just fine on my PC and other peoples PC’s.

I have read enough in these forums and other forums that all share my exact problem when GW2 was introduced on to the PC.

Now would my PC have crapped out that same day regardless of my purchasing and attempting to install the game? Or would I have continued with a fine stable PC for another year or more before I began to reach mtbf on components?

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Chances are GW2 is just “pushing the right button,” so to speak, and highlighting a problem you’ve had for a long time.

I’ve been around game launches long enough to know that the claims of “THIS GAME BROKE MY PC!” come with every new release, and they’re all well and truly rubbish.

Given that kind of behavior, I would first make sure all my drivers, as well as windows itself was up to date. If this wasn’t the case, I’d format the machine in every case. Yes, it’s a sledge, but when you’re dealing with BSOD’s there’s really not much else to say, other than that if you’re overclocking, try the game without overclocking and see if that’s the problem. (obviously no one want’s to give up that extra clock speed, but if it’s causing issues…it’s causing issues.)

Clarty.9864

I gave up overclocking PC’s about 8 years ago.

I have formatted all my drives now IDE/SATA and reinstalled windows on them both and dual boot now between the two trying different windows configs. Like with and with out SP1.
Testing if it is anything to do with the drives, I have also removed and added my optical drives and at the present I have then all disconnected.
I replaced all my RAM with new same brand and quantity but different model.

If this was someone else’s PC and they asked my opinion and advice on the fault I would not hesitate to finger the mobo as the fault. So that is probably what I will replace next. It is an Asus board and I must admit I have not been that happy with it.
All my other home builds were Abit or Gigabyte.

I also maintain a belief that if it is GW2 “pushing the right button” so to speak yeah, then I would think it only fair and business smart for Arenanet to identify what and if it can be stopped then do so. For the greater of all the customers.
Perhaps it suits Arenanet that a chunk of their customers are unable to participate in what could be the greatest MMO experience in over 10 years! <— sad face cause I am not able to be one of them.

Clarty.9864

95% of the time you have a BSOD with a computer, it’s because of memory stick problem. You just said that you bought some new ram 3-4 days ago. Can you test with another set of ram to see if everything goes fine?

Don’t get angry when it’s not their fault. No game can kill a computer, lol.

Yeah and 99% of the time a BSOD is software driver related. Are you just repeating what others have said in games forums?

memtest was run for over 10 hours pass after pass after pass = 100% error free…

Clarty.9864

Went and played several other games such as D3, PoE, Skyrm and some others.

Not a crash or BSOD or freeze… to be seen. :S This just messes with my head.

So I started to relax and enjoy gaming again but .. I am missing my Mesmer and the fun of GW2 so I could not resist and loaded the game but I got in game long enough to say high to my guild but never got to reply due to GW2 crash.
Rebooted and tried again, and got on longer this time. Managed a quick event then GW2 crash.

I tried again .. but I got a BSOD at character select.

Rebooted and tried D3. 1 hour into that and it is still running as I type this and discuss GW2 problems in D3 chat with quite a lot of others that have the same random crashes as I have and many others on here do. WTF!

It is really hard to not point the finger at the GW2 client. It is the only common denominator.

unless one of my early theories that Corsair RAM and GW2 are shouting Fluffy Kittens at one another..

Posted by: Vivien the Redfury.2351

Vivien the Redfury.2351

I’ve posted in another topic a question like this: I’ve noticed that a lot of users who’s having problem with the game (crash, BSOD, etc) have corsair RAM. Maybe there’s a incompatibily problem?

Arenanet: could you please test Corsair Veng. Ram with the game to check if there’s an incompatibility problem? thank you in advance

[Fenix Team] ~ Gandara

(edited by Vivien the Redfury.2351)

Posted by: miiksu.3741

miiksu.3741

So what is the bsod error you get?

Clarty.9864

I am half tempted to purchase another brand.. Gskill or Crucial etc. Kinda loosing faith in Corsair after a recent mess with one of their PSU. That’s OT though.

I am fair fed up with all this troubleshooting and re installing windows/sp1/drivers/games/etc etc.. :

I just want to return to normal life again and play the game I have been eagerly waiting for.

BTW.. does any one want any reports from speccy or gameadvisor or whocrashed or the corrupt file dmps etc You can have 2 for the price of 1 lol

Clarty.9864

So what is the bsod error you get?

Different every time! :

Posted by: miiksu.3741

miiksu.3741

It may be your graphic card that causin this, but GW2 trickers it. What is your graphic card? And drivers up to date?

Posted by: Karpalo.5148

Karpalo.5148

It is a driver issue and there is no fix as of yet. BSOD, hard resets, sound loop and perfect freeze where you can’t even get the capslock light to light up. All can happen on same computer.

Windows, GPU drivers and GW2 is a deadly mix for some reason. GW2 crashes kernel and rest is history. Right now i would have to put blame on GW2, since this problem cannot be reproduced outside this specific game.

Clarty.9864

I am right in the middle of cleaning all radeon drivers again. I was on the 12.9 leaked, prior to that it was 12.8 Sapphire release, prior to that it was 12.8 AMD release.

I tried custom profiles to run the clocks at max and stop AMDPowerplay spiking them etc.

It is a Sapphire Radeon HD5750
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=643&lid=1&pid=292&leg=0

Ok I am off to install the 12.8 AMD again. I think I got an 8 hour GW2 session right after I installed them on Sunday.

Clarty.9864

It is a driver issue and there is no fix as of yet. BSOD, hard resets, sound loop and perfect freeze where you can’t even get the capslock light to light up. All can happen on same computer.

Windows, GPU drivers and GW2 is a deadly mix for some reason. GW2 crashes kernel and rest is history. Right now i would have to put blame on GW2, since this problem cannot be reproduced outside this specific game.

/signed

And it is exactly what I have been saying. GW2 is messing in Kernel layer (Ring0) when itkittenwell should not be in there. Or something like that or It is trying to access memory that is already in use, in other words it is trying to bypass windows request for memory. = Corruptions and BSOD and freezes and so on.
It should send the request to windows and then wait But it is behaving like a spoiled brat or an excited drunk teenager lol.

Karpalo.5148

Random is random. I did re apply the drivers and it seemed like it fixed it. 8 hours of uninterrupted play time, then back to back crashes, then 6 hours next play sessions no crashes, then crash, then no crashes, then streak of crashes, then long session again and now two more crashes.

So did the driver wipe help? In hindsight i really can’t tell. Probably not if i would have to guess.

Clarty.9864

Karpalo that sounds like my story accept that you get more GW2 up time than I do ^ ^

I have managed to get to lvl 12 in 17 days ;S been sat here everyday since the 1st trying to play the game (usually get ten mins a day) then spend all day and night trying to make it work. Not what I thought I was buying!

Just rebooted from driver install, time to see how fast I crash assuming the game gets passed char selection.

Clarty.9864

Nah going by forum time stamp I was about 15 mins in game.

I give up.

Posted by: Mistbooster.1803

Mistbooster.1803

Man thats a sad story, i get some random crashes too, not that often though, 1 maybe a day, sometimes a day or 2 goes by without one. But the latest escaped of the game client… i come home and bootup my PC, let it open up the softwares, go get a glass of water, fire up the game, a new kind of repair screen o_O i think to myself… odd, i figure i wait for it to run ( game closed fine last time) But then… thekittenclient decides, lets not verify anything, lets re-download the game, and now i am stuck waiting for that go, yes, a real peach with a 2mb connection, get something between 140kb/s to 250kb/s dl speeds. thanks Anet for the flawed client for an awesome game, and the stupid decision to make the whole game into one huge blob of a DAT file, so you cant DL individual files to fix a problem manually.

Hmmm Truth hurts does it not?
ANET, looks like you guys weild
your QA’s like a shiny armor.

Karpalo.5148

Adding 4th type of crash to the list. Hard reset during when installer was downloading the patch files. This was first time this happens and possibly not related to the others mentioned earlier, but i keep an eye out for it. Tho if we go with the assumption that chance of critical system failure closes to chance of 1 overtime when running GW, then these should be extremely rare.

Karpalo.5148

To add to that crash is originated from ntoskrnl.exe, but since crashes are only occurring after running GW2.exe it’s not the root of the cause.

Out of curiosity: What Antivirus are you people running?

Posted by: Vivien the Redfury.2351

Vivien the Redfury.2351

I use Avast. I already set Gw2.exe in exclusion…

[Fenix Team] ~ Gandara

Posted by: Leben.5647

Leben.5647

Rubbish. Im an A+ certified IT technician and I regularly run applications that soak test the CPU to produce as much heat as possible. The point being to test stability and the efficiency of the cooling system. Modern computers have safeguards to protect themselves from overheating (Thermal throttling, or whatever “brand” each manufacturer wants to apply to the term).

Officer of [VILE] (Desolation) and all round unpleasant chap.

Posted by: Nikki Nine Toes.6078

Nikki Nine Toes.6078

I had frequent crashing/bsod issues, and then I tried playing the game in full-screen windowed mode. It seems to have fixed the crashing issue completely.

I’m on a dual-monitor SLI system (only one monitor used for gaming), and I’m not sure if that could have been a contributing factor to the problem (or the solution). Hope this helps.

Cheers.