Same FPS on LOW and HIGH settings....

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Barosmare.2196

Barosmare.2196

Ok, first of all my computer kinda sucks and barely meets the requirements and thus my fps is really low.. between 18-25 fps, 30-50 fps if conditions are ideal BUT that’s not really why I’m writing this, I knew what I was getting myself into after playing the betas…

The weird thing is that whether I run the game at ABSOLUTELY MAX settings or on the LOWEST settings my fps does not change… what’s the deal here Arenanet?
The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the game is miles away from running as smooth as it could… even on my crappy pc.

Posted by: roguenub.1409

roguenub.1409

Same for me mostly, however there are times where my FPS is worse on lowest settings than on highest.

Posted by: muslumgurseks.4951

muslumgurseks.4951

First of all some changes needs map change to actually have an effect did you really change map or reload the game after changing settings ?

X99 Deluxe / i7 5820k @4.5 /980ti KPE @1550/ Rog Swift / 16gb DDR4 /Custom Loop

Posted by: Plyply.8621

Plyply.8621

You answered this yourself. You mentioned your computer kinda sucks. GW2 needs a solid CPU to function best, I would say more so than a good GPU. This is why you’re not seeing any differences in performance when you adjust graphics settings, you are CPU limited.

Posted by: Cbuzz.5083

Cbuzz.5083

Like you said, your pc is crappy. Changing res/settings with no FPS boost means your processor is choking the rest of your system.

That’s the deal & your conclusion is wrong. I don’t think Anet is going to send you a brand new pc to play on.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Barosmare.2196

I wasn’t expecting arenanet to send me a new pc lol…
however with the money needed to buy a new pc I’d rather play wow for at least 3 more years with runs like butter at MAX settings.
And pls let that be the one and only mention on wow here, I don’t want this thread to turn into something else but that’s just practical thinking if you think about it…

btw, yes I am aware the the cpu is bottle necking my rig but honestly I played much more impressive games on my rig with much higher fps, lets not deny the fact that there are still problems with gw2’s optimisation.

Cbuzz.5083

I wasn’t expecting arenanet to send me a new pc lol…
however with the money needed to buy a new pc I’d rather play wow for at least 3 more years with runs like butter at MAX settings.
And pls let that be the one and only mention on wow here, I don’t want this thread to turn into something else but that’s just practical thinking if you think about it…

btw, yes I am aware the the cpu is bottle necking my rig but honestly I played much more impressive games on my rig with much higher fps, lets not deny the fact that there are still problems with gw2’s optimisation.

Wait, you already know your processor is slow… So why did you make this thread again?

Also, what are these other “impressive” games you play on such an old system with WAY higher fps? (don’t say wow).

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

he’s totaly right taht 60$ could be spend on new wow expans + 2 months playin with no computer change cuz of creating so kitten up amazing graphics that most ppl can’t handle it.
We don’t live in world where everyone are rich enough to get gtx 680 with top end i7’s.
Seriously game creators seems to forget that especially in MMo’s.

Posted by: alphacentari.7692

alphacentari.7692

The thing is the recommended system requirements said nothing about needing a i5-i7 ivy bridge chip if they had most people could have spent 60$ on something else or at least the game wouldn’t have been a disappointment because you would have known you were gonna get crap performance.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=684&game=Guild%20Wars%202

Fort Aspenwood -RET

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

This is a PC (COMPUTER) MMO game released in 2012 Expecting it to run perfectly with 100000FPS on 6yr old hardware is a joke.

Probably best if you just stick to Wow.

Based on the latest version of Direct X 9, which came out in 2004. There is no reason why any hardware in the last 6 years shouldnt be able to run this game on LOW settings at a steady 30 FPS.

Barosmare.2196

who said it had to run perfect?
I expected it to be playable… witch is not…
And it’s an mmo not a Far Cry sequel, that means they should learn a thing or two from WoW witch they are trying to grab some player base from and make it at least playable for them.
And yes, we’re not all rich you know or we have bigger priorities in life and in this particular case I don’t see GW2 being the financially sound option even with it’s subscription free model

Posted by: Elriond.2169

Elriond.2169

Please don’t post bs. The game just isn’t optimized as it should be. You should at no time feel obligated to buy new hardware just to play a game. As developers have noticed a long time ago, the majority of people do not play with the latest and greatest.

Cbuzz.5083

The thing is the recommended system requirements said nothing about needing a i5-i7 ivy bridge chip if they had most people could have spent 60$ on something else or at least the game wouldn’t have been a disappointment because you would have known you were gonna get crap performance.

I don’t see any official “Recommended Sys Req” ?? Link pls.

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Cbuzz.5083

This is a PC (COMPUTER) MMO game released in 2012 Expecting it to run perfectly with 100000FPS on 6yr old hardware is a joke.

Probably best if you just stick to Wow.

Based on the latest version of Direct X 9, which came out in 2004. There is no reason why any hardware in the last 6 years shouldnt be able to run this game on LOW settings at a steady 30 FPS.

If they based in on DX11 only then all the bro’s with DX9 Gpu’s would have another sook. Doesn’t look like the Dev’s can do anything right…

i7 3770k@4.8Ghz / AIR
GTX 6GB Titan@1160Mhz
3007WFP@2560x16000

Posted by: alphacentari.7692

alphacentari.7692

Your right there is none lol. Well even more reason to be upset when it runs like crap because they didn’t even put it on the box oh well what ever live and learn if a company doesn’t list recommended specs don’t buy it.

I thought that was official until i looked around more and then looked at the box.

Fort Aspenwood -RET

Posted by: Elriond.2169

Elriond.2169

Minimum System Requirements can be found here:

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1119/

Posted by: lcizzle.8219

lcizzle.8219

lol, you guys know nothing about graphics programming. How old is OpenGL yet look at Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Doom 3, Quake 4, Rage. It’s not about the API it’s what you do with it. Just because Guild Wars 2 uses directx9 c, that doesn’t dictate how good or bad the graphics have to be. If that were the case graphics would never improve if we always had to wait on Microsoft to upgrade DirectX or the committees over at the OpenGL Working Group and Khronus to improve things.

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

lol, you guys know nothing about graphics programming. How old is OpenGL yet look at Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Doom 3, Quake 4, Rage. It’s not about the API it’s what you do with it. Just because Guild Wars 2 uses directx9 c, that doesn’t dictate how good or bad the graphics have to be. If that were the case graphics would never improve if we always had to wait on Microsoft to upgrade DirectX or the committees over at the OpenGL Working Group and Khronus to improve things.

You’re right, I can create a graphic app in DX6 that runs like mud on a i7 SLI system because I didnt code it well enough to take advantage of the hardware, or optimize it well enough to run smooth.

Its an old API that if used correctly, should be able to run smoothly even on systems that have hardware thats a few years old. (on low settings)

Newer versions of the API grant access to functionality that only newer hardware can support, which is why DX11 games often have higher reqs. Older versions of DX dont have this restriction. The only thing that makes an older DX game run poorly, is how well its programmed. Ie: optimization

(edited by Gadzooks.4687)

Posted by: lcizzle.8219

lcizzle.8219

Unfortunately it’s not all about the GPU. If that were the case you would be fine but the CPU still has to run the game simulation and feed the graphics card. This is why games have minimum system requirements and meeting them does not always mean you will have a smooth experience. This is why it’s called “minimum system requirements” not “optimal system requirements”.

You’re right, I can create a graphic app in DX6 that runs like mud on a i7 SLI system because I didnt code it well enough to take advantage of the hardware, or optimize it well enough to run smooth.

Its an old API that if used correctly, should be able to run smoothly even on systems that have hardware thats a few years old. (on low settings)

Posted by: deltaconnected.4058

deltaconnected.4058

Please never edit your post. This ones a keeper.

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

As some have pointed out ..its your cpu.

When a game (mmo’s in particular) shows no noticable fps increase/decrease when changing major graphics options, it signifies that your GPU is not the problem and in allmost all casses means the cpu is at fault.

Minimum recommendations just means that the game is ‘playable’ on its lowest settings. Each persons veiw on ‘playable’ is different , for example mine is at minimum 30 fps ..on mmo’s, 50 fps on first person shooters. Anet could hold ‘playable’ at 15 fps ..who knows ..but the point still stands.

Games come out taking advantage of last generation hardware.. since current generation hardware tends to be to new and a game cant be made fast enough to release whilst said hardware is still current. That said, last generation is still i5 cpu since we are on generation 3 i beleve of the i’s. Ivybridge i7’s for example.

Therefore using an old core 2 duo which is like 6 or so years old and expecting a game to run without issues is ..well .kitten

Additionaly say you have a core 2 duo, and it can run games which are considered the gods of graphics and have high requirments. .say crysis 1 for example. Those games rely heavily on your GPU (graphics card), and take very little from your CPU. So they cannot be used as a benchmark.
If you need to compare, you need to use another MMO, specificaly another MMO that is roughly the same age as, in this case, GW2.
Using WoW or GW 1 as reference isnt an option since they use engines that were designed and built to run on old hardware, have less eye candy, are less complicated, and thus usualy have much lower requirments.
Compare GW2 to ..Rift ..Tera .. SWTOR..Blade &Soul…. erm ..cant think of any more of the top of my head ..but i can tell you from experiance Rift is very poorly optimised, Tera runs smooth as butter untill there are more than say 40 poeple on the screen due to the engine limitations..
SWTOR apprently wasnt very well optimsied ether. Blade and soul ..well thats still in beta ..but you get my point.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Graig.1739

Graig.1739

i have an i7 with nvidia 650m chip.. it’s a brand new apple macbook pro with retina, i was having no problems running this game 50fps constntly even good fps while in wvw. now after a patch today, its just been horrible. i think something wrong with the game right now.