Severe lag in PvP; fine in PvE

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: GrloftheCity.8315

GrloftheCity.8315

I am not a heavy-duty gamer, so admittedly, I do not have the BEST system for GW2. However, I am able to play on PvE on medium settings flawlessly, even if there are other players around and chatting. However, I’ve been trying to go over to PvP to play the living story in Southsun Cove and am experiencing game-stopping lag, even if I bump my settings back down to “Low.” What happens is I can still see chat scrolling, but when I try to move, everything lags with up to a 30 sec. delay. Eventually it freezes and I just shut down the game. I’m wondering if it’s my computer, my WiFi connection, GW2’s servers, any or all of the above….

The specs:

Windows 8 64-bit
AMD A6 5400-K dual-core processor
AMD Radeon HD 7540D graphics
6GB DDR3 Memory

I have a cheapy $40 wireless modem. (Unfortunately, due to the age and layout of my house, hard-wiring into my Internet connection from my office is not possible.)

Any ideas on how to improve the PvP situation on my end? Faster router and an upgrade to 8GB of RAM, perhaps?

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

6GB of RAM is fine, assuming you have 4 sticks where 2 are 2GB each and the other 2 are 1GB each. Otherwise its a slightly strange setup you have.

I haven’t been on to experience the new content yet so I’m a little unaware of what you are referencing content wise, but 30second lag probably has something to do with your network rather than your actual hardware. I would try traceroute to the server’s IP address and see what results are brought back.

You can get the server’s IP by typing /ip like an emote in game. Then open a command prompt in Windows (assuming you’re using Windows) and type “tracert 1.1.1.1” just without the quotes and replacing the fake IP address with the server’s IP address.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

GrloftheCity.8315

Thanks for the response!

I’ve attached the traceroute details. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve had any networking experience, but it seems like the connection drops before it makes its way around.

Attachments:

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Thanks for the response!

I’ve attached the traceroute details. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve had any networking experience, but it seems like the connection drops before it makes its way around.

It looks like two different problems here, it timed out prior to reaching ArenaNet’s infrastructure which is something your Internet Service Provider might be able to help with. It also timed out when it got within the Austin, TX area which I believe I heard is where ArenaNet’s servers are located. This is likely a combination of both your Internet Service Provider and ArenaNet’s problem. The last IP you reached as NCSoft written all over it:
http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/64.25.32.82

Just a fun fact, it looks like ArenaNet used the same place for their Guild Wars 1 servers judging from older forum posts from the original game.

Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

GrloftheCity.8315

What could my ISP do to help? (I want to make sure I know what I’m talking about when I call them!)

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Perhaps your ISP could boost your signal and double check to make sure your connection is solid. I would basically explain to them that a tracert command to the game server’s IP address timed out prior to reaching ArenaNet’s servers. I would use that screenshot of yours that you posted to help you explain the problem to them if you haven’t already. Then, while you’re at it complain about their service and try to get them to lower your monthly charges. :p

Chloe (Version 3):

Posted by: Phazerz.9706

Phazerz.9706

I’m having the same issue described in the original post, I’ve searched everywhere for a solution and have still come up empty handed. My connection is fine during PvE/Questing but lags out and eventually d/c’s in every PvP game. I ran a diagnostic and will post the results as part of this response. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.