Stutter and slow down

Stutter and slow down

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Darcwolf.6817

Darcwolf.6817

I recently switched over to a gtx 670 and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

Whenever I load into a new area and rotate the camera it stutters horribly! After about 3-4 seconds it smooths out and is fine.

Ive also noticed frame rate drops, like down in the 10s on occasion. The rest of my pc

Intel 3930k
16gb, 2133MHz ram
240gb intel ssd
asus extreme rampage iv

I even tried installing a second nvidia card (9800gt) dedicated for physx. Made no difference, I am also running the game on max settings, which my system should handle no problem.

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Check your GPU bus speed if its not running at x16, core parking, and turn down shadow/reflection
(See Part 4.1 here for more information)

GW2 doesn’t use physx

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

its not the gpu, it can happen on both nvidia and amd

its just some not very optimised resource loading.

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

In graphican options menu Lower :
Shadows from ultra to high/medium
Reflections from all to terrain & sky or turn them off.

both these options on ultra/max sett will cause You to lose a lot of fps as they are bugged.

So each time You enter zone, your get 3-4 second shutter due to your GPU trying to load every single reflection possible on the map with shadows etc.

Stutter and slow down

Darcwolf.6817

Check your GPU bus speed if its not running at x16, core parking, and turn down shadow/reflection
(See Part 4.1 here for more information)

GW2 doesn’t use physx

Not to be rude but this seems to kinda be the standard response. Did you see the motherboard im using? It runs pci-ex 3.0. And just to make sure I fired up cpuz and yes my board is running at 16×.

So from what Im reading I basically need to turn down my settings due to poor programming, this is ridiculous. I custom build my pc’s with nice hardware so I can handle any game on max settings.

Game has been out almost 5 months it REALLY needs to be fixed.

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

I understand ur pain Darcwolf, i know that setup u got isnt cheap.

If u havnt already.. OC the CPU , i know its a PITA since 6cores produce alot of heat but it will help.
Settings wise a single 670 wont be able to handle reflections on full AND supersampling.
I sugest turning both down tbh. Native and relections on terrain and sky.

Since u build ur own rigs i presume u know enough about graphics to know how inefficient SuperSampling is dispite the good visuals, and relefctions in this game r completly stupid since they render even when u dont see them..hence the massive impact ‘all’ has on relections.

I think ull find that if ur running on compltly max setitngs. .changing those 2 things will increase ur FPS substantialy..u wil llikely still get some slow down when u enter new areas, but thats to be expected.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Stutter and slow down

Darcwolf.6817

I understand ur pain Darcwolf, i know that setup u got isnt cheap.

If u havnt already.. OC the CPU , i know its a PITA since 6cores produce alot of heat but it will help.
Settings wise a single 670 wont be able to handle reflections on full AND supersampling.
I sugest turning both down tbh. Native and relections on terrain and sky.

Since u build ur own rigs i presume u know enough about graphics to know how inefficient SuperSampling is dispite the good visuals, and relefctions in this game r completly stupid since they render even when u dont see them..hence the massive impact ‘all’ has on relections.

I think ull find that if ur running on compltly max setitngs. .changing those 2 things will increase ur FPS substantialy..u wil llikely still get some slow down when u enter new areas, but thats to be expected.

Thanks for the reply, Im actually running a 670 oc edition, and according to benchmarks i’ve seen it runs almost identical to a 680.

Im honostly more confused how my 6970 ran this game max settings no problem. I tried turning off reflections and couldn’t handle that, I put it on sky and terrain, and put shadows on medium, seems to run and load better. Just extremely frustrating, that this game can’t max out without problems.

I like your specs by the way, I have the same speaker setup also, but I use it on my laptop not my desktop, which I use the hdmi coming out of the video card to my stereo

By the way, do you see much of an increase when you OC your 3930k? I havent bothered cause its a pretty beastly cpu as is without OCing.

Stutter and slow down

kirito.4138

I’m running 3570k 4.3 OC, GTX 660 with best performance setting, with reflection set to terrain. FXAA disabled and SweetFX installed. Running around LA with stable 60fps, occasional dips to 30’s. Pretty smooth.

Stutter and slow down

SolarNova.1052

With my 3930k OC to 4.6ghz i dont see fps Drop below 30 ..no matter where i go (including 100man WvW battles). Unless my GPU gets maxed out ..which does happen on very rare occasions.

It is beastly on stock indeed but GW2 takes its performance from the single thread performance. .so having 6cores and 12 threads make no difference when compared to a 2500k 4core 4 thread. Hence the OC.

Its a PITA to OC though ..6cores generating heat is no joke :P

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

Stutter and slow down

Darcwolf.6817

well more cores may not help, but overall performance on just 1 core is a massive boost over the previous generation i7, instruction sets, architecture, all that stuff makes a huge differance.

Anyway, I OCed mine to 4ghz made no differance, I would go more but my corsair h70 really wasnt desiged for this cpu, it was desiged for my old 920. Either way, I still blame anet for this, like I said, my old 6970 never had these problems and it wasnt nearly as good of a card.

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

Its not the 670 thats holding back the reflections, really, its not.

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: sim.8903

sim.8903

I’m running 3570k 4.3 OC, GTX 660 with best performance setting, with reflection set to terrain. FXAA disabled and SweetFX installed. Running around LA with stable 60fps, occasional dips to 30’s. Pretty smooth.

Kirito, there is no reason to turn off FXAA. I have a similar rig (3470 @ 3.8ghz, Radeon 7870 2gb) and run it quite smooth 1080p best appearance setting with Native, Shadows on high, reflections terrain. FXAA on. You should run it the same. With yoru cad, there is no reason to use “best performance” and turn FXAA off. You might have to turn down settings for WvW zergs as I get ~30fps there, which is fine for me though

Stutter and slow down

SolarNova.1052

FXAA off is a personal preferance. FXAA is a shoddy AA..kinda like a poor mans AA. All it does is blur the screen bassicaly. hence why u get next to no performance hit. He has turned it of and is using a 3rd party AA injector instead for better quality but a higher performance hit.

I would use a AA injector myself if i wasnt already maxing out my GPU.

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

I ve a similar problem.

Almost everyminute, mu CPU goes from 3.4Ghz to 1Ghz for about 10 sec that causes really stutter in game. Otherwise it just runs flawlessly.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Stutter and slow down

kirito.4138

Kirito, there is no reason to turn off FXAA. I have a similar rig (3470 @ 3.8ghz, Radeon 7870 2gb)

I have FXAA turned off for a reason. I am using SweetFX mod as a replacement, looks much better.

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: Bokutu.3609

Bokutu.3609

I ve a similar problem.

Almost everyminute, mu CPU goes from 3.4Ghz to 1Ghz for about 10 sec that causes really stutter in game. Otherwise it just runs flawlessly.

^This^
Happening to me also.

I have i5-2500k , P67A-UD3-B3, 8G RAM, 560ti (yes, BIOS is set exactly correct for normal operation)

CPU-Z shows my core speeds hitting turbo up to 3.7Ghz doing anything and everything, but when i load up GW2, CPU core instantly dips to 895Mhz and remains right around 1Ghz +/- and Game is almost unplayable for the duration. When i exit GW2, core speeds instantly rises to normal and turbo levels for i5.

I did a fresh reinstall of W7-64, drivers, and GW2 only and same result. I did this twice, (W7 format/reinstall and everything) just to make sure. and the result for GW2 was the same each time. Then added other games, i.e. SWTOR, BF3 all of them ran perfect at 3.7Ghz turbo boost speeds. GW2 continued to run at 1Ghz.

This is indisputable proof; Anet you have serious optimization problems happening with at least the i5 on Gigabyte boards with Nvidia.
Please fix quickly, I beg of thee.

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

I ve a similar problem.

Go to power settings in windows and set it to high performance / always on.
It should disable cpu downclocking.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

Stutter and slow down

Posted by: Hoof.1523

Hoof.1523

I ve a similar problem.

^This^
Happening to me also.

I have i5-2500k , P67A-UD3-B3, 8G RAM, 560ti (yes, BIOS is set exactly correct for normal operation)

CPU-Z shows my core speeds hitting turbo up to 3.7Ghz doing anything and everything, but when i load up GW2, CPU core instantly dips to 895Mhz and remains right around 1Ghz +/- and Game is almost unplayable for the duration. When i exit GW2, core speeds instantly rises to normal and turbo levels for i5.
Please fix quickly, I beg of thee.

that sound like heat problems , make sure the fans are clean .
a cpu under load only slows down normaly when it cant handle the heat .