Unable to connect with BT

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: eraser.8031

eraser.8031

Have contacted Guild wars support sent them diagnostics and it appears to be a network issue with BT is anyone else having issues.

Just for a laugh this is how my tech support call went with BT funny and annoying.

N Girish (Responding)

N Girish: Hello. I’m N Girish. Thanks for that information, I’ll check it and get back to you in a moment.

N Girish: Hi Mike

Mike : Hi How are you?

N Girish: I am you fine, How are you?

Mike : Very well thanks
N Girish: Are you using wired or wireless connection?

Mike : Wired

N Girish: When the connection drops at the same time, what is the colour of the broadband light on the hub?

Mike: the connection is stable the lights are blue

Mike : even on disconnect

Mike: they asked me to run a diag would you like the results?

N Girish: No, Let me check.

N Girish: Since when you are facing the problem?

Mike: the last 3 days

N Girish: Mike, as I can see that there was a major service out age on your area due to which the broadband was effected and the outage was cleared now, please monitor the connection for next 24 hsr the broadband will come back as it was earlier.

N Girish: Restart the hub after 24 hrs.

Mike : but the connection is fine checked on the outage page and nothing in our area

Mike : This appears to be a routing issue

Mike : not an outage

N Girish: Is it dropping with wired and wireless connection?

Mike : It is only dropping when I try to play the game guild wars 2 other than that it is fine

Mike : I can minimize the screen and browse the Internet

Mike : but the game will not load maps
N Girish: Mike, then this a problem with the game server due to which the connection is dropping, If ‘N’ numbers user are connected to that particular server the the connection will drops. In this we cannot do anything
Mike : I have been through their support and have sent them the diags they asked for even I can see it is a connection issue my end

N Girish: Sorry Mike, but unfortunately I am unable to see any drop on the connection, If this really happens then why the connection is not dropping on the rest of the time.

N Girish: This is fault from their end, your broadband is working fine for your end.

Mike : Because there s a routing issue caused by BT Stopping the packet reaching the servers would you like the results of the diag?

N Girish: And the speed is very good on your broadband connection.

Mike : Speed is not an issue

N Girish: Ok.
File attachment upload has started.
The file Tracing network paths.docx (14.71KB) was received.

N Girish: Then reset the hub and you need to have a try. At the side of the hub you will see a thin pin hole please put a thin paper pin into it and hold it for 30 sec. Then you need to monitor the connection for next 24 hrs. I will give you a call back tomorrow at the same time to check the status of the connection.

Mike : have tried that straight away 3 days ago no different

N Girish: Then please upgrade the hub to the latest one.

Mike : It is the latest one

N Girish: I can see that you are using BT hub 3, please upgrade to hub 4.

Mike : I am sorry that is not an answer as there is nothing wrong with the Hub why don’t you just admit you don’t know what is wrong and escalate this to someone who knows about trace routes

N Girish: As I said that there is no fault with the broadband, its the server issue from their end.

Mike : Really we starting again

Mike : Let me introduce myself

Mike : My name is Mike I work as an IT Administrator and have qualifications in this field now please get escalate this as it is your problem

Mike : you have tried to fob me off with issues in the area that are not there your main objective is to get me off this chat and leave it 24 hours

N Girish: Sorry Mike, I an unable to see any drop on the connection and the connection drops on the particular reason on which we cannot do anything on it. As we only provide the broadband.

Mike : Which is were the problem is it is being throttled before it reaches the servers and as you rightly said you provide the broadband so if it is not reaching the servers it is your problem

N Girish: Sorry it is not reaching to a particular server which is not a BT Server, there might be fault with the gaming server, and BT do not support any other server.

Mike : Right lets break it down slowly I can connect to the server via next doors wireless they kindly let me use it to test However I cannot from the home hub I know you don’t support other peoples servers but as the diag shows it is failing on network hops and as I can connect from a different source shows that it is your issue I will be back in 5 mins

Mike : so what now?

Last Entry and well done if you got to the end

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

first, NEVER open a support call on the web. You get the absolute bottom of the barrel support personell when doing that with ANY isp.

Second, do a tracert to ncsoft.com’s servers, CALL your ISP and provide them the data. If they will not help escalate your ticket to Tier2 or Tier3. IF they refuse ask to speak with a manager.

From the dialog you posted, I would be calling and escalating the issue.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Astro.7318

Astro.7318

sooo, is there a way to fix this or are we just helpless still

ikereid.4637

Call your ISP, they are the only ones that can initiate to fix this…

Posted by: Steakpuncher.1603

Steakpuncher.1603

Not the OP, however I have tried speaking to BT on this matter through the correct help channels and they don’t seem to care. The issue itself actually seems to be at a higher level along the route from the UK to the servers and is likely out of BT’s personal control.

Apparently there is an issue at a network node in France (unconfirmed) but it appears that depending on how your connection to the servers is routed you can either experience no connection, laggy connection, or frequent disconnection (or a mix of all three).

Nobody seems to want to take ownership of the problem. Arenanet just point you to your ISP and the ISP blames Arenanet. Neither seem to actually want to escalate the issue and take it up with whatever ISP is causing the issue along the route.

ikereid.4637

Not the OP, however I have tried speaking to BT on this matter through the correct help channels and they don’t seem to care. The issue itself actually seems to be at a higher level along the route from the UK to the servers and is likely out of BT’s personal control.

Apparently there is an issue at a network node in France (unconfirmed) but it appears that depending on how your connection to the servers is routed you can either experience no connection, laggy connection, or frequent disconnection (or a mix of all three).

Nobody seems to want to take ownership of the problem. Arenanet just point you to your ISP and the ISP blames Arenanet. Neither seem to actually want to escalate the issue and take it up with whatever ISP is causing the issue along the route.

That is why you do TraceRT’s and submit them to your ISP. They can initiate a support session with the peering connections between them and the affected nodes. BUT only a customer that holds an SLA contract, or the ISP/Sub-providers can do that.

Just calling them direct wont do anything, because they don’t HAVE to answer to you.