Worthy Computer?

Worthy Computer?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Sinirad.4601

Sinirad.4601

I am considering buying a new computer, however I am on an extremely tight budget. The build I am considering is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1068942

Would this computer be able to run Guild Wars 2? Furthermore, is it worth the price it is going for?

Thank you for your time!

Worthy Computer?

Posted by: Bongsta.2018

Bongsta.2018

I am considering buying a new computer, however I am on an extremely tight budget. The build I am considering is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1068942

Would this computer be able to run Guild Wars 2? Furthermore, is it worth the price it is going for?

Thank you for your time!

Yes!! Autodetect settings in game would probably chose Med – low settings but you can run Med – high with that comfortably. WvW zerg might throw a few surprises at you but you will be fine..

Im running a slightly older and lower spec and i do Medium to high settings with comfortable 30+ fps so that rig should be all good..

Happy gaming

Worthy Computer?

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

It would ‘run’ GW2.

But it wont be on high settings and u wont be able to play WvW ..unless ur ok with sub 30 fps..likely sub 20fps.

For maybe around $200 more u could have a MUCH better system. Somthing with a i5 3570k, a 650ti instead of a 650 non Ti, appropriate Z77 motherboard, and aftermarket cpu cooler.
That setup would easily run a mixture of medium & high settings with good fps in PvE, and with that cpu and cooler u can OC and get the best performance GW2 can have in WvW .(.that being 30fps at minimum in the worst cases.)
No CPU currently out at stock clocks can manage 30fps in WvW battles, deffiantly not an i3, most drop well below 30fps, the older cpu’s drop below 10fps.

Food for thought

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Worthy Computer?

Bongsta.2018

It would ‘run’ GW2.

But it wont be on high settings and u wont be able to play WvW ..unless ur ok with sub 30 fps..likely sub 20fps.

For maybe around $200 more u could have a MUCH better system. Somthing with a i5 3570k, a 650ti instead of a 650 non Ti, appropriate Z77 motherboard, and aftermarket cpu cooler.
That setup would easily run a mixture of medium & high settings with good fps in PvE, and with that cpu and cooler u can OC and get the best performance GW2 can have in WvW .(.that being 30fps at minimum in the worst cases.)
No CPU currently out at stock clocks can manage 30fps in WvW battles, deffiantly not an i3, most drop well below 30fps, the older cpu’s drop below 10fps.

Food for thought

Dont want to knock your advice BUT zzzzzzz as i said my system much lower and i knock out 30+ frames in WvW… running OC’ed E8400, 4gb ram, twin 88gt’s.. and thst is medium – high..

Worthy Computer?

SolarNova.1052

Fair enough ..but alot of system can manage 30+ fps just standing in WvW , or with small 10 man fights. Im talking 50 to 100+ man battles.
I garuante u cant manage 30+ fps in those kinds of battles (which r the normal size of battles on most populated servers), if u can.. then please by all means hit up a videa of it becouse u will make me and alot of people very ..i repeat VERY..happy if u can tell us how u managed it

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Worthy Computer?

Bongsta.2018

Fair enough ..but alot of system can manage 30+ fps just standing in WvW , or with small 10 man fights. Im talking 50 to 100+ man battles.
I garuante u cant manage 30+ fps in those kinds of battles (which r the normal size of battles on most populated servers), if u can.. then please by all means hit up a videa of it becouse u will make me and alot of people very ..i repeat VERY..happy if u can tell us how u managed it

Its all about the drivers you use the settings you chose, and with culling i dont see 50+ coming until im dead..

Its that way for everyone, culling is a kitten

Worthy Computer?

SolarNova.1052

Culling is only applied outside a certain radius around ur character. Therefor it is possible to see 100 man/50 man battles if ur in the thick of it, if u sitting ontop of a wall with a ballista/or using ranged attacks ..u likely will not see all/any of said army of people due to culling.
As for how fast culled players load up on screen, it really helps to have a good CPU (like those sugested) and a SSD so that as soon as they are able ‘from the server side’ to be loaded, they are then loaded quikly/instantly on ur client. With a old slower cpu culled players will remain effectivly invisible whilst they fight untill ur computer can catch up.
Unless i have server side lag-which does happen on occasion, i rarely have problems with loading up people who have moved close enough to my character so they r no longer culled.

I agree culling is a “enter filtered word here”
But Anet wont give the player the choice of cull radius becouse those with a computer able to handle 0 culling / extreme radius settings, will cause their servers excess load due to the extra information it will be sending out to those computers about all the players one screen. Hence why they are ‘trying’ to find a more balanced culling setting..one that works with server load and gives players enough sight ..atm they are failing misserably.

Worthy Computer?

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Culling is only applied outside a certain radius around ur character. Therefor it is possible to see 100 man/50 man battles if ur in the thick of it, if u sitting on top of a wall with a ballista/or using ranged attacks ..u likely will not see all/any of said army of people due to culling.
As for how fast culled players load up on screen, it really helps to have a good CPU (like those suggested) and a SSD so that as soon as they are able ‘from the server side’ to be loaded, they are then loaded quickly/instantly on ur client. With a old slower cpu culled players will remain effectively invisible whilst they fight until ur computer can catch up.
Unless i have server side lag-which does happen on occasion, i rarely have problems with loading up people who have moved close enough to my character so they r no longer culled.

I agree culling is a “enter filtered word here”
But Anet wont give the player the choice of cull radius because those with a computer able to handle 0 culling / extreme radius settings, will cause their servers excess load due to the extra information it will be sending out to those computers about all the players one screen. Hence why they are ‘trying’ to find a more balanced culling setting..one that works with server load and gives players enough sight ..atm they are failing miserably.

All of that is totally true.

It is very easy to have WvW battles with 50+ players on each side fighting in a tight radius right outside or in a contested tower. The information exchange required to update every player on every other player’s actions is a quadratic (i.e., skyrocketing) function of the number of players involved. ANet went cheap on their server-side ability (engine, server, bandwidth, etc) to handle all that data, though, so they introduced culling to limit the number of other players that any one player can see at a time.

The trouble is, players move in and out of that circle pretty quickly and culling has an unavoidable response time. There really is no sweet spot that makes all of the important players visible and still keeps the frame rates decent if the number of players exceeds the ability of Anet’s hardware to handle the data, and for ANet to tell us they are trying to find one is a bit disingenuous. The obvious solution would be for ANet to increase their data handling ability, but that could get expensive so we know that isn’t going to happen. Other players have suggested that ANet dynamically dumb down the graphics requirements (character/armor/race distinctions, scenery resolution, battle effects, etc) as a function of the number of players located in close proximity, but that would involve a LOT of coding changes so we know that isn’t going to happen either.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Worthy Computer?

Posted by: Deathjester.9841

Deathjester.9841

I manage 15-20’s (still very playable with vsync) on my OC e8400 in LARGE fights (devona’s rest). Culling was an issue until I set CPU priority to high in the task manager for gw2.exe (I just changed the shortcut to always do this). Now my culling is at a minimum and the game plays fantastic. The difference between regular priority and high priority in the task manager was like night and day for the duo core. Other chips? Prob won’t help so much.

Taking off aero/running minimal things in ram of course helps.

Video card is a overclocked to hell and back GTX 260 216 core and a sata 1 raptor (my other raptor blew up, so i am down to 1) HD.

30 plus fps in large battles? Yeah that isn’t happening without a Sandy/Ivy Bridge. This e8400 just refuses to die my friend lol. Best chip EVER as far as remaining somewhat relevant for YEARS.

I will probably build a i7 5ghz dream machine soon for myself, but the e8400 still chugs along just fine, and this is the first mmo/game where I actually found myself wanting to actually upgrade, since it actually will use those extra cores.

I agree as far as new machines though. I5 2500k’s can be had as cheap as 140 bucks (microcenter). Anything lower then that is a complete waste as far as a new build.

Worthy Computer?

Bongsta.2018

Nice idea to run in /high priority.. why didnt i think of that sooner.. and it really does help!!

1) open notepad
2)type: start “Guild Wars 2” /high “C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe”
3)go to – File > “Save as” – Filename: GW2.bat – Save as type: All files
4) MOVE gw2.bat to where your original exe is I.E C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2
5)Right click GW2.bat > Send to – desktop (create shortcut)
6) Right click newly created GW2.bat shortcut – Properties > change icon (ignore error message) > in section “look for icons in this file” paste this in “ProgramFiles (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” (without quotes) press enter then select your GW2.bat icon
7) you can now delete the orginal GW2.exe / rename GW2.bat to just GW2 (or whatever you want)
8) double click icon to start GW2 and open taskmanager and check that the process is now running on “high” priority..

• regardless of dual core /quad core / six core / a million cores (lol) i recomend not setting the prio any higher, you dont want drivers/system files to be starved **

Thanks for the idea deathjester ^^