Yet another laptop thread

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

(I searched some threads about the subject, but most of them seemed to be in the America region)

I already own a desktop which runs GW2 on maximum settings smoothly, but as I’m leaving for exchange I decided to buy a laptop for university stuff and also for playing GW2. As I live in Finland and I’ll be leaving abroad 26th of this month, I don’t want to risk ordering a laptop from too far away in case of transporting problems. I don’t know that much about computers as well.

After some searching this laptop seemed like a good option:

Asus N750JK-T4190H

• 17.3" 1920 × 1080 Full HD, 16:9 LED screen
  • Intel Core i7 (4th generation) 4710HQ / 2.5 GHz (quad core I think)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M – 4 Gt DDR3 SDRAM
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • 24 GB +750 GB SSHDD 7200 rpm

The price is around 1200€.

According to some sources, the GPU should handle GW2 quite nicely, 55 FPS on high settings and a bit under 30 if I would put everything on max. The RAM should be more than enough for GW2. I generally don’t know much about processors, so I’d need some help with that. Most importantly it would be good if I could play in WvW/ other zerging without having like 5 FPS.

Another problem is that I couldn’t find any previews for the laptop. I was interested if it would heat up too much as I have bad experiences with laptops which you could cook eggs on.

If someone would know a better option, it would be awesome. Generally I have been searching laptops costing 800-1300€.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I use a similar system, and while it won’t play GW2 on maximum settings, it will play it very well, with only the usual lag spikes at world events. You shouldn’t have any real problems.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Ibbuli.4027

I use a similar system, and while it won’t play GW2 on maximum settings, it will play it very well, with only the usual lag spikes at world events. You shouldn’t have any real problems.

I’m not really looking to beef up the settings to the max, just to play on “quite nice” settings. :P

I found a site I used to see how different computers run GW2 and I found Acer Aspire V3-772G to have quite nice hardware for it + it’s 300€-ish cheaper. The only problem is that the CPU is weaker and I dunno how well Intel Core i5-4200M 2.5 GHz Dual-Core handles zerging.

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

Dont forget to get a cooler pad for your laptop too, laptops do work on higher temperatures than desktops and when you play in zergs for example you can easily overheat your computer. Also i think its better to remove the battery while you play, because if the battery is fully charged and the power is still plugged it generates more heat on the laptop.

Ibbuli.4027

Eventually I ended up buying Acer Aspire V3-772G as all the hardware were superior and the price was “only” 999€. I’m still concerned about the heat and as previous owner of a laptop which started to produce burnt plastic smell, I do know the precautions. :P

Thanks all for the answers.

Posted by: Kamata.5762

Kamata.5762

Dont forget to get a cooler pad for your laptop too, laptops do work on higher temperatures than desktops and when you play in zergs for example you can easily overheat your computer. Also i think its better to remove the battery while you play, because if the battery is fully charged and the power is still plugged it generates more heat on the laptop.

Lol. I should totally try that out with the battery. My temps get up 90 Celcius.

Posted by: Kamata.5762

Kamata.5762

Eventually I ended up buying Acer Aspire V3-772G as all the hardware were superior and the price was “only” 999€. I’m still concerned about the heat and as previous owner of a laptop which started to produce burnt plastic smell, I do know the precautions. :P

Oh, no. The Acer V3 772g has a GT ( NO X) 750 card. and a weaker processor. That other laptop was better by a longshot.

Edit: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-850M.107795.0.html

Scroll down on each page and look for gw2 to see what kind of fps they would deliver on which settings.

(edited by Kamata.5762)

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Oh, no. The Acer V3 772g has a GT ( NO X) 750 card. and a weaker processor. That other laptop was better by a longshot.

Edit: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-850M.107795.0.html

Scroll down on each page and look for gw2 to see what kind of fps they would deliver on which settings.

The 750 and the 850 are about the same in regards to performance. GW2 will do well at 1080p on medium settings, or 1600×900 at high settings on EITHER of those cards. The determining factor always comes down to the CPU for this game.

With out knowing what CPU was present for those GW2 benchmarks I will call both of them invalid.

You will see a huge difference in performance between a True quad core(QM) Laptop CPU vs a dual core, and a ultra low power, vs a normal power (i7-4510u vs i7-4610M – http://ark.intel.com/compare/81015,80345,75051,53452,53434)

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD