c0000005 error.

c0000005 error.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: sinstar.7382

sinstar.7382

Before anyone says it. I have browsed the forums top to bottom, as well as the FAQ. At this point, I’m not sure where to go with this.

—> Crash <—
Exception: c0000005
Memory at address * could not be read
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 4264
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 16378
Module: d3d9.dll
When: 2013-01-02T06:43:42Z 2013-01-01T23:43:42-07:00
Uptime: 0 days 0:00:01
Flags: 0

Recent changes,

Updated to 310.70 Nvidia Driver. Rolled back to 306.97, still having the error.
Updated to Win7 SP1.
Direct X 9/10/11 Drivers up to date.
No overlays are running.

This leaves me to believe that SP1 is the issue. However! This leaves me at a rock and a hard place, because I had to get the SP1 update so that I was able to run other games… ie (BF3, CoD:BO2). I really don’t wish to revert back, and deal with that headache everytime I wish to play another game.

Any advice? Or will I be without GW2 until Anet rolls out a new patch that fixes this?

c0000005 error.

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

SP1 should work fine. I have it on multiple desktop and GW2 runs.

You didn’t post any system spec or game advisor, so can’t see much more, but try changing different in-game graphic settings, and playing with driver settings/profiles.

As last resort, try re-installing windows from a clean start and see if that works.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

c0000005 error.

sinstar.7382

System Specs

Windows 7 64bit
AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz
Asus M5A88-M
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz (4×4gb)
3x WD Caviar Black Sata III 500gb HD
EVGA GTX 560ti

Seems I can’t change in game graphic settings, as launcher crashes the moment it opens. Tried a clean install of GW2, still same error.

Game was working fine until yesterday, which is when I updated both the video card drivers and SP1.

I really don’t wish to reformat just to get GW2 to work, when I do have higher system req games running flawlessly. Seems too fishy to me.

Module: d3d9.dll tells me its DirectX 9.

c0000005 error.

kirito.4138

Try doing a directx repair install/update. (See Part 1.1)

Every game uses different directx files and version. One reason why STEAM Client makes you install directx everytime you get a new game.

c0000005 error.

sinstar.7382

So. Here’s the story.

I’ve done everything upside and down to get this working. DirectX is also one of the first things I’ve looked into and have attempted multiple times.

I’ve reformatted, made sure all drivers are crisp and clean, and so on. Finally reinstalled my programs. Same error. Same code. Same BS.

So far, things that haven’t worked:

-Reformating / Clean install of Windows 7 64bit
-Reinstalling Drivers
-Rolling back Drivers
-Rolling back before SP1
-Going back to SP1
-Run as Admin
-Delete Local.dat and gw2.tmp
-Verifying that registry is clean
-Defragged disks
-Made sure no Overlays are on.
-AV/Malware scanned D3D9.dll
-Make sure that GW2 has proper rights to open via AV programs / firewalls
-Temp check on GPU/CPU/RAM/HDD
-Made sure case was spotless of dust, as well as all radiators, fans and dust filters.
-Underclocked RAM / Overclocked RAM
-Underclocked GPU/ OCd GPU
-UC CPU/ OCd CPU
-Attempt at clean install of game both from disk and from gw2.com client.
-Have installed nothing other than the necessary drivers/programs/game, so that the game can run.

Pardon my frustration, but when I said I have gone through the FAQ, I didn’t mean I just browsed it, I’ve done everything that I possibly could have thought of, to get this working. Usually I’m the one giving the advice to fix these issues, this one has me utterly perplexed.

Please don’t misunderstand however, I do appreciate the effort for help, at least its something. I’ve been there before, even with experienced people, it can always be something small that they may have missed. So I’m definitely not irate with ya! Just the game situation in general.

Results as of yet.

Disks automatically pump it into the Launcher for some reason.
Launcher will let me log in, however will promptly crash when it wishes to check for updates.
Once this happens, any time I wish to open the launcher, it automatically crashes within a split second, same error message.

Exception: c0000005
Memory at address * could not be read
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 4264
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 16378
Module: d3d9.dll

Anything that I haven’t done that could be of any help?

c0000005 error.

kirito.4138

Did you install all your programs back again, and then GW2? The purpose of a clean install was to eliminate any doubt that 3rd party software could have some how cause issues. So Clean windows + updates + drivers, nothing else, then GW2.

You could also try underclocking the GPU see if that works.

c0000005 error.

Posted by: Booshbagg.6183

Booshbagg.6183

this will sound extremely silly, but i have the same exact issue and for me to get it to work, i just unplugged my headset, which is a logitech wireless usb headset. for some reason it doesn’t let it read the Memory at address * could not be read.

c0000005 error.

Posted by: Afterglo.5193

Afterglo.5193

this will sound extremely silly, but i have the same exact issue and for me to get it to work, i just unplugged my headset, which is a logitech wireless usb headset. for some reason it doesn’t let it read the Memory at address * could not be read.

Wow, thanks man! I’ve been having this error and tried everything I could think of to no avail.. After reading your post, unplugged my Logitech USB headset, logged in, and bam, no more errors. Crazy how it’s always something little.

c0000005 error.

Posted by: RvLeshrac.2673

RvLeshrac.2673

a) Try using slightly older video drivers than the current available set. See if this is an issue with the 200s.

b) Start > Right-click Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Performance… > Settings > Data Execution Prevention > ‘Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.’

c) Try moving GW2 to another drive/location, if possible.

d) Set exceptions in your AV for the entire GW2 folder, especially gw2.dat

e) Download Process Monitor from sysinternals.com and see what the last operation gw2.exe tries before the crash is. (Filter > Filter > ‘Process Name’ ‘Is’ ‘gw2.exe’ ‘Include’ > Add). Look for any “Access Denied” messages.

You probably also want to search through the log and see where exactly it loads “d3d9.dll” from. It is possible there’s an extra version thrown somewhere, or it may be loading the version from System32 instead of SysWoW64.

Other than your video drivers and some Windows system DLLs (user, kernel, WoW), there should be very few things loaded from System32.

f) Disable your AV completely. If you’re using Mcafee or NAV, you may have to uninstall.

Honestly, ‘E’ might tell you more than anything else.

(Oh, and as the post above me demonstrates, unplug EVERYTHING that isn’t a keyboard, mouse, or otherwise absolutely necessary for the operation of your machine. I’ve seen plenty of USB devices cause all sorts of random issues, especially printers, wireless NICs, and HDDs)

c0000005 error.

sinstar.7382

e) Download Process Monitor from sysinternals.com and see what the last operation gw2.exe tries before the crash is. (Filter > Filter > ‘Process Name’ ‘Is’ ‘gw2.exe’ ‘Include’ > Add). Look for any “Access Denied” messages.

You probably also want to search through the log and see where exactly it loads “d3d9.dll” from. It is possible there’s an extra version thrown somewhere, or it may be loading the version from System32 instead of SysWoW64.

Other than your video drivers and some Windows system DLLs (user, kernel, WoW), there should be very few things loaded from System32.

Thank you sir! Upvote to all those that helped out! I’ve bolded what the error was. I’m so glad this has come to a conclusion!

c0000005 error.

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

It is possible there’s an extra version thrown somewhere, or it may be loading the version from System32 instead of SysWoW64

Not even possible. any attempt by a 32bit application to access System32 is automatically redirected by WoW64. the only way for a 32bit application to access the 64bit folder is to try reading c:\windows\sysnative. Anyway, if it was reading the file from the 64bit folder, it would fail to start with an invalid win32 image error message.

c0000005 error.

sinstar.7382

And yet, it now works. Impossibru my butt.

c0000005 error.

Squall Leonhart.2075

and since you didn’t even post what you did to resolve it, i’ll continue to call absolute BS on it.

c0000005 error.

Posted by: RvLeshrac.2673

RvLeshrac.2673

and since you didn’t even post what you did to resolve it, i’ll continue to call absolute BS on it.

You’re not going to get a BadImageFormatException loading non-.NET-DLLs on a 64-bit version of Windows. Additionally, running any 32-bit app will load a whole host of 64-bit DLLs.

It is also possible it was loading a different version of the DLL from a different directory entirely, or there was a path set wrong somewhere.

c0000005 error.

Squall Leonhart.2075

That would be far more likely, a dll hijack might have been involved from a previous malware infection.