help me buy gpu/cpu

help me buy gpu/cpu

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: AIex.4105

AIex.4105

Hey there, my pc is from 2007 when the first quadcore apared in the market(phenom9500) and still kicking kitten and i can play gw2 at med to low settings with decent fps in pve and pvp, but in dungends and www is abit slower and cant play good cose of it.

unfortunatly i dont have a job atm and can affort max 200€ to spend on hardware, so if any1 can tell me what can I get for that money and run at least medium settings and good fps in www at 1440×900, I would realy apreciate.

my system is this now :

CPU AnthlonII 640 x4 3.1ghz
GPU gigabyte 9800gtx 1024ddr2
4gb ram at 667mhz
psu nox 650w

this is where I want to buy the CPU it has to be am3
http://www.pccomponentes.com/procesadores_amd_socket_am3.html

and this is where the GPUs
http://www.pccomponentes.com/tarjetas_graficas_nvidia_pci_express/gaming/
click on “orderar>precio” to list by price

if you can tell me what is the best for 200€ i would apreciate

(edited by AIex.4105)

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

well 2 main issues i see with your hardware;

1. 9800GTX – OLD and should be the first thing you upgrade
2. your AM3 Motherboard is using DDR2? (So its probably AM2+)

I would start by upgrading to a newer GPU before anything else. Ultimately that can be used in a newer build if you decide to pull the MB for a AM3+ based system (FX series)

I suggest one of the following GPUs, AMD 7770, 7790, R6-260X, Nvidia 750TI, AMD 7850, 7870. They range from 79.99 up to 159.99. The last 2 on that list start at 159, but are 2x’s faster then the rest of that list.

Problem is, 200 is NOT enough to really get a good upgrade for your aging hardware. Even with a good GPU your CPU and DDR2 Memory is going to hold you back some.

But, I would say get a HD7790 and that should free up the bottleneck that your 9800GT is pushing against your 640 x4. Then start saving up for an AM3+ motherboard and DDR3 Memory for your next upgrade.

Reuse that CPU on your next upgrade stage, 640 is not ‘the best CPU’ but it can be used in the newer AM3+ Socket Motherboards and should hold up decently enough until you can jump either into Intel or the FX AMD Line. Just depends on what direction you want to go.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

If u can scrap together another ~30€ then get this combination of new motherboard and CPU.
http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_ga_z77_ds3h.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/intel_core_i5_3330_3_0ghz_box.html

Keep the GTX 9800 as is unless u know for a fact its maxing out all the time. In which case get a better GPU like the following.

http://www.pccomponentes.com/sapphire_r9_270x_dual_x_2gb_gddr5_reacondicionado.html
Though that’s a reconditioned unit if im not mistaken ..so maybe go lower and get a
http://www.pccomponentes.com/sapphire_r7_265_dual_x_2gb_gddr5.html

EDIT: forget the CPU & Motherboard, forgot u would need DDR 3 memory ontop of that aswell, would put the price up even more.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

help me buy gpu/cpu

ikereid.4637

If u can scrap together another ~30€ then get this combination of new motherboard and CPU.
http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_ga_z77_ds3h.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/intel_core_i5_3330_3_0ghz_box.html

Keep the GTX 9800 as is.

he would need ram too. Currently his system uses DDR2 667mhz. thats another 30-50 on top of that.

help me buy gpu/cpu

SolarNova.1052

Yea released that as i was editing post :P

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

help me buy gpu/cpu

ikereid.4637

Yea released that as i was editing post :P

haha, oh well.

I still think, given the 200 budget for the OP, that a HD7790 is the best bang for his buck right now. Then save up for a AM3+ Motherboard and a DDR3 (2×4GB) memory Kit. Then finally upgrading to a FX8350. All in all, thats about 600. But that way he can do it in 200 stages.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: BazeDragon.3927

BazeDragon.3927

Two things to note:
Firstly – you are NOT being limited by CPU. You have a 3.1GHz quad, which is good enough to begin with. What is limiting you is your RAM.
Upgrading your GPU will probably give you a small performance increase, but with such slow ram it will be limited.

My advice: consider investing a little more and getting a setup like this:
http://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_vengeance_xmp_pc3_12800_ddr3_1600_8gb_2x4gb_cl9.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/amd_fx_series_fx_6300_3_5ghz_6x.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/asrock_980de3_u3s3.html

Once you have that, start saving up for a GTX 750 or 760… Or you could go for it the other way around if you think GPU is more important.
http://www.pccomponentes.com/evga_geforce_gtx_750_ti_superclocked_2gb_gddr5.html
or
http://www.pccomponentes.com/evga_geforce_gtx_760_superclocked_2gb_gddr5.html

I’ll note – I’ve used that memory, a AMD 3.6GHz quad and a GTX650Ti for playing GW2 almost since launch, and streamed it at high(ish) settings with between 30-40fps stable. Not overclocked or anything.

(edited by BazeDragon.3927)

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: chris.9142

chris.9142

Two things to note:
Firstly – you are NOT being limited by CPU. You have a 3.1GHz quad, which is good enough to begin with. What is limiting you is your RAM.
Upgrading your GPU will probably give you a small performance increase, but with such slow ram it will be limited.

My advice: consider investing a little more and getting a setup like this:
http://www.pccomponentes.com/corsair_vengeance_xmp_pc3_12800_ddr3_1600_8gb_2x4gb_cl9.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/amd_fx_series_fx_6300_3_5ghz_6x.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/asrock_980de3_u3s3.html

Once you have that, start saving up for a GTX 750 or 760… Or you could go for it the other way around if you think GPU is more important.
http://www.pccomponentes.com/evga_geforce_gtx_750_ti_superclocked_2gb_gddr5.html
or
http://www.pccomponentes.com/evga_geforce_gtx_760_superclocked_2gb_gddr5.html

I’ll note – I’ve used that memory, a AMD 3.6GHz quad and a GTX650Ti for playing GW2 almost since launch, and streamed it at high(ish) settings with between 30-40fps stable. Not overclocked or anything.

It is a very old qudo core however the performance of the chip is about half that of a i5 3570 so his CPU will limit his performance
If it doesent now it will after a new GPU

I5-4670k @4.2Ghz – 8Gb 2133mhz Gskill
Msi Z87 Gaming Board AMD R9 270x
-crucial 256 M500 SSD -Samsung 500Gb HDD

(edited by chris.9142)

help me buy gpu/cpu

BazeDragon.3927

It is a very old qudo core however the performance of the chip is about half that of a i5 3570 so his CPU will limit his performance
If it doesent now it will after a new GPU

Not going to say you’re wrong – which is why I suggested a CPU upgrade as well. My reason for not suggesting an Intel (besides my personal dislike of Intel) is that they tend to be more expensive, and really don’t suit someone who is building a rig on a budget.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Except for this game you will get more of an impact with an Intel CPU over an AMD when the game starts binding up on zergs. I’m talking out of the box performance, not some extreme overclocking.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

help me buy gpu/cpu

BazeDragon.3927

Except for this game you will get more of an impact with an Intel CPU over an AMD when the game starts binding up on zergs. I’m talking out of the box performance, not some extreme overclocking.

I can’t speak on that from personal experience.. But I know people with Intel rigs who suffer worse performance drops in zergs than I do with my FX-4100, and I’m running entirely on stock clock.
I’m sorry, but for building a BUDGET rig to make the game more playable, AMD is the best option.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

I can’t speak on that from personal experience.. But I know people with Intel rigs who suffer worse performance drops in zergs than I do with my FX-4100, and I’m running entirely on stock clock.
I’m sorry, but for building a BUDGET rig to make the game more playable, AMD is the best option.

If someone wanted a budget computer to play GW2, I wouldn’t recommend an AMD processor at all. I’d recommend an Intel i3 or high clocked Intel Pentium dual core for when money’s really tight.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: sobe.4157

sobe.4157

Not saying you are wrong, but you must be the new Bee in town….

Your FX-4100 will not be any better than anyone running an modern Intel setup, that’s just the way it is. Someone running a Core2Duo? Perhaps, but that is not what we are talking here.

For a BUDGET Guild Wars 2 rig or a rig with a budget of $5,000 for GUILD WARS 2, that’s a key word don’t ya know, GUILD WARS 2, in case you missed it the first time I said it. GUILD WARS 2, offers the best performance on an INTEL system, THUS, an INTEL is the best option.

If you want an all-around budget system for outside of GW2, then by all means you are 100% correct, then again, since MicroCenter nearly regularly throws the FX-8320 for $99….. Well anyway, THIS… IS…. GUILD WARS.… TWOOOOOOOOO, so AMD need not apply.

My 3770k plays the game great whereas people with AMD systems like the FX-4100, FX-6300, etc. struggle, so that instantly means Intel dominates yo. But serious face, and yes I’m being super cereal right now, for GW2, Intel is the way to go. Regardless how much AMD has been shoved up your rear.

3770k 4.9ghz | Koolance 380i | NexXxoS XT45 | XSPC D5 Photon | ASUS MVFormula |
Mushkin Black 16gb 1600 | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo |2×2TB CavBlack| GALAX 980 SoC |
NZXT Switch 810 | Corsair HX850 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Beyerdynamic T90

help me buy gpu/cpu

BazeDragon.3927

Your FX-4100 will not be any better than anyone running an modern Intel setup, that’s just the way it is. Someone running a Core2Duo? Perhaps, but that is not what we are talking here.

For a BUDGET Guild Wars 2 rig or a rig with a budget of $5,000 for GUILD WARS 2, that’s a key word don’t ya know, GUILD WARS 2, in case you missed it the first time I said it. GUILD WARS 2, offers the best performance on an INTEL system, THUS, an INTEL is the best option.

If you want an all-around budget system for outside of GW2, then by all means you are 100% correct, then again, since MicroCenter nearly regularly throws the FX-8320 for $99….. Well anyway, THIS… IS…. GUILD WARS.… TWOOOOOOOOO, so AMD need not apply.

My 3770k plays the game great whereas people with AMD systems like the FX-4100, FX-6300, etc. struggle, so that instantly means Intel dominates yo. But serious face, and yes I’m being super cereal right now, for GW2, Intel is the way to go. Regardless how much AMD has been shoved up your rear.

sigh
Firstly : I was answering the OP’s question to begin with. If you didn’t see, he/she asked specifically for an AM3 chip, for which I gave suggestions based around the budget specified.
Secondly : AMD is not as bad as you seem to think it is with this game. With my FX-4100 and GTX 650Ti I can run with all settings maxed out at 45-60fps, unless I’m in zerg content where it drops to 20fps, as long as I reduce the character model limit and maybe drop shadows/reflections.

That said, if I’m going to get treated like a moron for suggesting a budget-friendly option for a someone looking for just that, I’m done. I have no interest in putting up with it.

help me buy gpu/cpu

SolarNova.1052

With respect BazeDragon, an AMD CPU like yours would drop into the low teens 10-15 FPS in proper WvW Zergs. By all means, drop us an SS including CPU-Z to show us ur FPS and in what situations ur talking about, but for those of us that have been here for ..to long.. we know that even Intel CPU’s will run at 15-25 FPS in serious zergs, and AMD CPU’s are inherently worse.

Yes AMD are cheaper, but considering the OP would need a new motherboard with DDR3 RAM anyway, he might as well switch to Intel when he has the required cash for a CPU+Motherboard+ RAM purchase (~300€) . Until then, a new GPU would likely suit him better with the budget he currently has.
or he can wait a little longer until he has ~450€ and get new GPU at the same time.
For GW2 specifically, buying another AMD CPU when u need to change motherboards as well, is a bad idea. And buying another AMD CPU which is already old and behind the FX line, is also a bad idea as performance wont increase.
Now if h had DDR3 and was running a AM3+ motherboard capable of taking a FX6 or FX8 series CPU, then yes, on a budget that would be a good choice.

(edited by SolarNova.1052)

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: sobe.4157

sobe.4157

sigh
Firstly : I was answering the OP’s question to begin with. If you didn’t see, he/she asked specifically for an AM3 chip, for which I gave suggestions based around the budget specified.
Secondly : AMD is not as bad as you seem to think it is with this game. With my FX-4100 and GTX 650Ti I can run with all settings maxed out at 45-60fps, unless I’m in zerg content where it drops to 20fps, as long as I reduce the character model limit and maybe drop shadows/reflections.

That said, if I’m going to get treated like a moron for suggesting a budget-friendly option for a someone looking for just that, I’m done. I have no interest in putting up with it.

I apologize, I think it’s fair to say we’ve all been dealing with a certain user on these forums that often compares an low/mid range FX cpu like the FX-6300 to i5 and i7’s, and claiming the FX is superior. So my post was based on the frustration of seeing someone else recommend the OP stick to an AMD build when he wants improvement in the game.

Nothing against you, just frustration that was directed at your post.

That being said, of course both AMD and Intel can run the game, but the smoothest running, regardless of which loyalty you have towards green or blue, the blue team is what you want to go with in this game. I would happily recommend an AMD setup for someone on a budget looking for a cheap gaming rig, just…. Not with this game.

3770k 4.9ghz | Koolance 380i | NexXxoS XT45 | XSPC D5 Photon | ASUS MVFormula |
Mushkin Black 16gb 1600 | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo |2×2TB CavBlack| GALAX 980 SoC |
NZXT Switch 810 | Corsair HX850 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Beyerdynamic T90

help me buy gpu/cpu

ikereid.4637

Let’s not just blow up at random posters because they act like one of our issue posters :-)

As for the OP – He wants to stay in AM3/AM3+ from the sounds of it.

the best way to upgrade his system (GIVING HIS BUDGET!!) is as follows

Upgrade the GPU to a AMD HD7770, HD7790 or Nvidia 750TI (119-159~)

Save Money

Upgrade system board to a Decent 900 series Chipset AM3+ board. Upgrade to DDR3 Memory (149-179~)

Save Money

Upgrade his x4 to a FX8350 (189-200~)

All in, over the time I think it will take him, he will be at about 600 when its all said and done (giving price drops, aging hardware as time passes…ect)

For what I know from his posts, that is the BEST option for him right now.

Jumping ENTIRELY to a new platform (Intel) Is not in his best interest, due to the fact his ENTIRE system is aged. He would have to upgrade his MB, CPU, and RAM at the very least to jump to Intel. And you are talking 350~ all said and done there. He has a budget of 200~ and that prevents him from doing that.

help me buy gpu/cpu

BazeDragon.3927

sigh

I apologize, I think it’s fair to say we’ve all been dealing with a certain user on these forums that often compares an low/mid range FX cpu like the FX-6300 to i5 and i7’s, and claiming the FX is superior. So my post was based on the frustration of seeing someone else recommend the OP stick to an AMD build when he wants improvement in the game.

That being said, of course both AMD and Intel can run the game, but the smoothest running, regardless of which loyalty you have towards green or blue, the blue team is what you want to go with in this game. I would happily recommend an AMD setup for someone on a budget looking for a cheap gaming rig, just…. Not with this game.

I can totally understand your frustration if there’s been an issue person around.
I’ll agree with you that, in a perfect world and if the money was available, a higher end core-i5 or even a core i7 would be a good upgrade (Even though I’m not personally a fan of them, I will admit that Intel does have the better architecture for gaming in general).
AMD FX is not superior in terms of performance, but I’ve found it tends to run cooler, and is a cheaper CPU for the performance you get comparatively, which is why I personally recommend AMD to most people. The issue is that AMD CPU’s tend not to be as well optimized (or something along those lines) for CPU intensive games like GW2.

help me buy gpu/cpu

ikereid.4637

sigh

I can totally understand your frustration if there’s been an issue person around.
I’ll agree with you that, in a perfect world and if the money was available, a higher end core-i5 or even a core i7 would be a good upgrade (Even though I’m not personally a fan of them, I will admit that Intel does have the better architecture for gaming in general).
AMD FX is not superior in terms of performance, but I’ve found it tends to run cooler, and is a cheaper CPU for the performance you get comparatively, which is why I personally recommend AMD to most people. The issue is that AMD CPU’s tend not to be as well optimized (or something along those lines) for CPU intensive games like GW2.

It has nothing to do with ‘cpu optimization’ for a particular Application. Its that AMD is far less then Intel when it comes to single threaded performance. That is all.

Intel is 2x-3x’s faster at single threaded performance then AMD when it comes to some applications, and one of those applications is Guildwars2. And its stupid DirectX9 that is the culprit here.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Avelos.6798

Guys. Agree to disagree. In my opinion, this individual requires a new graphics card. It’s a 9800 GTX with 1 GB of DDR2. That thing is slow as balls.

If I made a recommendation, I’d firstly say new GPU. I’d even recommend the GTX 750 TI because it’s more than likely vastly superior to it (why should I even look at passmark for this comparison?) AND it has GDDR5, the gaming GPU standard.

Why not more RAM? Well crashing was not stated and plus there’s more than likely a page file /swap file in use. Might be slower, but it’s not contributing to lower FPS which for here is a CPU and GPU thing.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: locx.6412

locx.6412

I have to agree with Avelos and squish here, GPU first. X4 640 is a tad better than a Q6600 stock with which I had no problems playing, except for zergy content. Although I did have 800 MHz RAM I also had 4 gigs and I didn’t feel it slowing me down. I wouldn’t go buying DDR2 anymore either, unless you found a very good deal (which should match your current RAM or or buy enough to get rid of the previous) since after the CPU/mobo upgrade that purchase would be pointless.

i5-4670K @ 4.6 GHz | GTX 660 | 8GB @ 1600MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Win 8.1

help me buy gpu/cpu

AIex.4105

thanx u all guys, anyway now igot the idea, i need an am3+ddr3 mob and some 1600ddr first, and ive been looking and I got this in my mind.

1º this am3+ ddr3 mob
http://www.pccomponentes.com/asrock_960gm_vgs3_fx.html
2º this 1600 ddr3
http://www.pccomponentes.com/kingston_hyperx_blu_ddr3_1600_pc3_12800_4gb_cl9.html
3º and this gpu
http://www.pccomponentes.com/evga_geforce_gtx_750_ti_2gb_gddr5.html

total 206€, is this any good? if ill get it ill get a fx cpu and other memory stick next mounth

(edited by AIex.4105)

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: tekky.2931

tekky.2931

Asus GTX 660

AMD FX 8350

Buy everything else cheap except for the PSU.

A 120gb SSD would be a good idea as well.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Avelos.6798

Asus GTX 660

AMD FX 8350

Buy everything else cheap except for the PSU.

A 120gb SSD would be a good idea as well.

Wow dude, read OP’s post. He’s got a budget.

help me buy gpu/cpu

ikereid.4637

thanx u all guys, anyway now igot the idea, i need an am3+ddr3 mob and some 1600ddr first, and ive been looking and I got this in my mind.

1º this am3+ ddr3 mob
2º this 1600 ddr3
http://www.pccomponentes.com/kingston_hyperx_blu_ddr3_1600_pc3_12800_4gb_cl9.html
3º and this gpu

total 206€, is this any good? if ill get it ill get a fx cpu and other memory stick next mounth

Your selection is good for what you have to work with. And going FX may or may not really be worth it in the end. I would price out a 965BE vs a FX8350 and see which is cheaper, and probably go that route. You will want to overclock the CPU no matter which one you get. And later on you will want to upgrade from the stock Cooler to something better to support higher clock speeds too.

But, either way its going to be a HUGE improvement over what you are running right now.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

all you need is more ram or at least higher frequency 1333-1600mhz
and a better gpu
i suggest you check the gpureview website and compare gpus and see wich has the best performance for yer money some might look good showing 1gb memory and stuff but actually have low bandwith or poorer rendering than other models of same price

help me buy gpu/cpu

Rezzet.3614

maybe get some 1333-1600 ram and simply overclock your gpu 2×4 gb sticks should be quite cheap

i just believe your lag just cant be that bad in dungeon as i ran the game at 15 fps with my geforce 7200gs
so after you get ram simply overclock your gpu check if “msi afterburner” works for ya makes it easy

if that doesnt work i ll gladly take your gpu if you buy a replacement >.>

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

help me buy gpu/cpu

SolarNova.1052

1º this am3+ ddr3 mob
2º this 1600 ddr3
3º and this gpu

Yes that would work.

help me buy gpu/cpu

Rezzet.3614

1º this am3+ ddr3 mob
2º this 1600 ddr3
3º and this gpu

Yes that would work.

i ll agree go for it

help me buy gpu/cpu

AIex.4105

I decided to not go for amd anymore since I realy hate them, ive been with amd cpus all my life and never satisfied in mmos with them

So ill go like this

cpu : i5-3470 3.2Ghz
gpu : EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SuperClocked
and some mob with some 1866 ddr3 if possible if not 1600.

will this run crownded areas at decent fps all maxed at 1440×900? xd

help me buy gpu/cpu

Posted by: locx.6412

locx.6412

with that GPU I think you could bump up to maybe even 1080p. Crowded areas however are still gonna be a problem. Today I was in an open world boss battle and I noticed my fps going down to 11 even though I have a overclocked 4670K. So definitely a huuuuge upgrade from your system but it wont be butter smooth everywhere you go.

i5-4670K @ 4.6 GHz | GTX 660 | 8GB @ 1600MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Win 8.1