4 months in, Arrow Cart Mastery has split WvW

in WvW

Posted by: ParaldaWind.4523

ParaldaWind.4523

Four months ago, arrow carts were buffed to obscene levels with the introduction of WXP and Arrow Cart Mastery. No one ever asked for a buff to arrow carts, but we got it, and I want to have a real discussion on the now long-term effects on WvW and the community.

I think that the recent popularity of GvGs in NA is in a large part due to ACs. Taking keeps used to be fun, and two groups could fight in them on relatively even levels. Arrow carts, ballistae, even cannons, were rarely a make or break feature of defending a keep. In order to keep your keep, you had to fight, and those fights were good. Look at youtube videos posted before May, many of the amazing fights would happen in keeps, towers, camps, and would involve siege, but they weren’t the main focus. Now look at highlight videos recently. Almost every single good fight occurs in the open field and contains zero siege.

Fighting in keeps almost always goes to the defenders, and if it doesn’t, it’s because the attackers have such ridiculous numbers that they can overwhelm the siege and defenders. Hell, 2-3 superior arrow carts can keep 20 people off of rams, to the point where golems are the preferred unit of choice for taking out keeps or towers, eliminating most of the finesse and strategy that used to go into a good keep take. It’s gotten to the point where if my guild raid of 25-30 is spotted at all, and one or two arrow carts are built, we will just abandon the siege completely, because once our rams on outer are destroyed, we will have to use our remaining supply to build a few more, and then have no supply on the inner, where more arrow carts await us.

I guess it’s just not fun anymore. Taking keeps and defending them are both so mindless now. It’s either build golems or have a 3 hour long treb siege with a siege farm awaiting us in the lord room. Joy. So we take keeps quietly now, not to find fights as we used to. We look for fights actively in the open field. If we see another group staying inside of their keep, we get bored and leave. The only good fights are the ones where there is no siege involved, because siege has been buffed to such a ridiculous level that it’s interferes with almost any skill involved in fighting. That’s why we open field, and that’s why we GvG.

We GvG because it’s the only place we can be assured good fights anymore, uncorrupted by siege or hordes. I don’t agree with the people who say they only play to prepare for GvGs. We GvG to be better at fighting. We GvG because we want to have fun, and playing the game properly just is not fun anymore. This has somewhat split the community, in my opinion, because the organized guilds want to have fun fights, and the pugs want to play for score. The GvG guilds at this point are very jaded about fighting in or over keeps and towers because it’s not fun for them anymore, and they just want to have fun in good open field fights.

This game has a very high skill cap for group combat, and it’s completely accidental. The diversity of builds, boon and condition management, micro and macro, bombing and regroups, it’s all very fun and engaging. It takes a lot of work and dedication to be good, and it’s completely 100% ignored by the devs. They made this amazing PvP mode that required real work and skill to be good at and then just completely marginalized those groups by playing to the lowest common denominator.

Arrow carts take no skill to use properly. 30 supply, press 1-3, get bags. That’s all that the PvE players who don’t understand why they need armor, stunbreakers, stability, condi-clear, mobility, and focus see. They see that if they leave the keeps, they die for some reason, but if they use the siege, they get bags and win. It’s conditioned the new players since April to be very bad players, objectively. They don’t know how to PvP, just how to either follow a blob or man siege. And why should they? It works for them, and they think that they’re making a difference. And maybe that’s the point, to increase WvW’s appeal to the masses, but I really feel like it’s watered down the long-term playability of the gametype.

WvW has always been, in my opinion, the only true end-game to GW2. It has a pretty high skill cap and enough variety to allow for some really interesting play. However, if we keep getting changes that marginalize the organized playerbase, I feel like this will no longer remain true, and WvW will just turn into an arcade game for PvE players to do in between living story releases, and I really don’t want that to happen.

I think that arrow carts should be reverted, and a real dialogue between the devs and the players should occur, because there is a huge disconnect.

Devon Carver

Holding a tower against all odds with some smart siege placement and a bit of luck may be one of the most fun things I’ve ever done in a video game.

Maybe for you, Devon, but not for all of us.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]
Maguuma – youtube.com/pyrogw2

in WvW

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

…?

New players don’t have AC mastery.

And golems are better at knocking down gates regardless.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP Long post. I definitely agree with one thing. Players want to be able to PvP without a lot of gimmicky siege or NPCs. Given that WvW is turning more into PvE every day, I do think that is helping drive the GvG scene. GvG would happen regardless but the WvW direction is definitely helping.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

@OP Long post. I definitely agree with one thing. Players want to be able to PvP without a lot of gimmicky siege or NPCs. Given that WvW is turning more into PvE every day, I do think that is helping drive the GvG scene. GvG would happen regardless but the WvW direction is definitely helping.

You’re definitely right about that. Before May, there was still a thriving GvG scene, but I think it’s growing much faster due to there being so few good fights outside of GvG.

The main point I’m trying to make is that I used to have a lot of fun fighting in keeps and towers, and now I don’t. That sucks and I wish it wasn’t that way.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: MacLeod.4208

MacLeod.4208

Towers and forts should either give the defenders a huge advantage (like in real life) or they should just get rid of them all together, imho.

I would personally like to see fewer towers and keeps on the map and a lot more open space.

in WvW

Posted by: iAmTheDuke.6201

iAmTheDuke.6201

an arcade game for PvE players to do in between living story releases

Unfortunately I believe most Dev’s think this way about WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

I agree with this post largely. I’ve said before that all siege except rams/cat apults should be removed. That’s a half joking remark, but mainly is because the fun of WvW isn’t in siege warfare.

Some of the worst burnouts we’ve had on Mag were facing servers that used heavy siege to the point where anything you attack would require 2-3 HOURS for you to get any fight at all. The game mode revolves around getting actual combat, and Carts are the main offender in preventing fights from ever happening.

in WvW

Posted by: mewmewmyoo.7809

mewmewmyoo.7809

Siege placement is a super cool part of defending anything in WvW, but it’s become a main focus. Actually, no, it’s not even siege placement, it’s arrow cart placement. Operating arrow carts requires no skill, and it’s easy to throw up a bunch of them and mow down an army. That’s lame.

A lot of fights now purely come down to “will we be spotted” and “does the enemy have supply”, and if it’s yes to both, then you’d really may as well give up unless you’ve got the entire map with you. :x

Cat Pun Here (Also: Another Cat Pun and Cat Pun Goes Here)
Makes cute Charrs- confirmed
Maguuma Server

in WvW

Posted by: Achilles.2197

Achilles.2197

what if the Outnumbered buff gave that server the ability to take reduced AC damage?

OR

the buff gave the outnumbered server the ability to deploy arrow carts controlled by an npc (assuming bugs are minimal/nonexistent [lul]).

Âchillæs – Jade Quarry – GvG’ing before you knew what it was

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

what if the Outnumbered buff gave that server the ability to take reduced AC damage?

OR

the buff gave the outnumbered server the ability to deploy arrow carts controlled by an npc (assuming bugs are minimal/nonexistent [lul]).

If the new Orbs reduced AC damage I would be the happiest person on the planet.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: Caliban.3176

Caliban.3176

Towers and forts should either give the defenders a huge advantage (like in real life) or they should just get rid of them all together, imho.

I would personally like to see fewer towers and keeps on the map and a lot more open space.

But they already do. Defenders have always had a great advantage over attackers even before that AC mistake Anet made.

I also agree very much with the OP. I had an idea of going back to the old AC thread (I have a couple of posts in that thread actually) and saying that I was wrong. AC’s didn’t ruin the game entirely. The players just went out of their way to avoid the new arrowcarts. One obvious example being GvG or like you said how you just abandan objectives because there is no point in attacking them anymore. The fair fights are gone and it is no longer fun.

Thanks for making this post.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net
7.2k+ hours played on Minesweeper

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I asked for a buff to siege in general so your statement that no one asked for a buff is incorrect.

Siege still needs to hit a bit harder.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

I asked for a buff to siege in general so your statement that no one asked for a buff is incorrect.

I appreciate you responding, but you should read more than the first paragraph.

I don’t think siege needs to hit any harder. If you’re arguing that siege discourages blobs, I think it encourages them, because blobs can carry more supply and build more counter siege.

On my server, one of the commanders told me he doesn’t even attack keeps unless he has 600+ supply available to him. That’s what arrow carts have done to the game.

But they already do. Defenders have always had a great advantage over attackers even before that AC mistake Anet made.

I also agree very much with the OP. I had an idea of going back to the old AC thread (I have a couple of posts in that thread actually) and saying that I was wrong. AC’s didn’t ruin the game entirely. The players just went out of their way to avoid the new arrowcarts. One obvious example being GvG or like you said how you just abandan objectives because there is no point in attacking them anymore. The fair fights are gone and it is no longer fun.

Thanks for making this post.

I agree completely. The guilds avoid the objectives almost completely now, and that’s just really… boring. The game isn’t ruined, just less fun to play like we used to.

We adjusted the fun meta, as it is. ACs are imba… to fun.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

MacLeod.4208

“But they already do. Defenders have always had a great advantage over attackers even before that AC mistake Anet made.”

-What advantage was that?

And like I said, I would rather see fewer towers (which should be very difficult to take) and more open fields to fight in.

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I don’t think siege needs to hit any harder. If you’re arguing that siege discourages blobs, I think it encourages them, because blobs can carry more supply and build more counter siege.

On my server, one of the commanders told me he doesn’t even attack keeps unless he has 600+ supply available to him. That’s what arrow carts have done to the game.

I didn’t care to read further. It started out as a complaint against siege so I’m going to ignore the rest.

If you didn’t complain, I would have read further. Since you did, I don’t care about your issue.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

Caliban.3176

“But they already do. Defenders have always had a great advantage over attackers even before that AC mistake Anet made.”

And like I said, I would rather see fewer towers (which should be very difficult to take) and more open fields to fight in.

The ability to engage when they want, to buff up in safety to go back into the tower. To rain down damage from the walls while your melee jumps on them. The ability to let them in and use the opening as a choke. The ability even to build an arrowcart, even before that ridiculous buff it provided for good cover and decent pressure. It wasn’t so overpowered that it was totally unsportsmanlike.

Those might seem like small advantages but in capable hands they can be used in the right way and let you keep your tower/keep.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

I didn’t care to read further. It started out as a complaint against siege so I’m going to ignore the rest.

If you didn’t complain, I would have read further. Since you did, I don’t care about your issue.

Whelp, thanks for adding to the discussion, I guess.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

If you want peace and quiet, if you want easy access to GvG without the hordes of people flooding your battle. Come to EU mid tiers.

You will be able to GvG, roam, zerg, whatever.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

MacLeod.4208

The ability to engage when they want, to buff up in safety to go back into the tower. To rain down damage from the walls while your melee jumps on them. The ability to let them in and use the opening as a choke. The ability even to build an arrowcart, even before that ridiculous buff it provided for good cover and decent pressure. It wasn’t so overpowered that it was totally unsportsmanlike.

Those might seem like small advantages but in capable hands they can be used in the right way and let you keep your tower/keep.

Fair enough. Thanks for the response. =)

It has always seemed to me way too easy to take a tower. Maybe I have just never seen a well played defense.

in WvW

Posted by: SHAKA ZULU.3128

SHAKA ZULU.3128

Oh, a post not insulting half the player base while making cohesive arguments. I knew I ♥‘ed Maguuma for good reasons. I feel like I can respond to this without being eaten alive. You’ve given me some things to think about, I think I am on the fence.

On one hand, the AC changes have been gr8 for small groups to defend against larger groups and even the field a little, for which I am grateful as I run in a 5 man 75% of the time, on the other hand, you’re right, I am also getting tired of sieging things for 2+ hours only for it all to end in an unbreakable choke, and now I also have to worry about getting my supply taken from trebs (different argument I guess).

I think it’s getting to the point where instead of feeling like a long siege was a good investment of my time (like it used to be when it ended in an explosive throwdown in the lord’s room) I know I’ll just regret it in the end since it will have taken a sizeable %age out of my night where I could’ve been having a great actual pvp fight w/o siege elsewhere. Meat grinders used to be rare and a rallying cry for an outpopped server, now they’re expected in lieu of even fights. You can’t realistically expect to take keeps with anything less than 15 people anymore, whereas I feel like I did this much more often in the past. I don’t dislike siege at all, I do think it has turned into a crutch though.

love,

a guardian from k[Ai]neng

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

Oh, a post not insulting half the player base while making cohesive arguments. I knew I ♥‘ed Maguuma for good reasons. I feel like I can respond to this without being eaten alive. You’ve given me some things to think about, I think I am on the fence.

On one hand, the AC changes have been gr8 for small groups to defend against larger groups and even the field a little, for which I am grateful as I run in a 5 man 75% of the time, on the other hand, you’re right, I am also getting tired of sieging things for 2+ hours only for it all to end in an unbreakable choke, and now I also have to worry about getting my supply taken from trebs (different argument I guess).

I think it’s getting to the point where instead of feeling like a long siege was a good investment of my time (like it used to be when it ended in an explosive throwdown in the lord’s room) I know I’ll just regret it in the end since it will have taken a sizeable %age out of my night where I could’ve been having a great actual pvp fight w/o siege elsewhere. Meat grinders used to be rare and a rallying cry for an outpopped server, now they’re expected in lieu of even fights. You can’t realistically expect to take keeps with anything less than 15 people anymore, whereas I feel like I did this much more often in the past. I don’t dislike siege at all, I do think it has turned into a crutch though.

That’s a good point, and I think you’re right on a lot of things.

The siege buff, in my opinion, was intended to allow small groups to have a counter to larger groups. It makes sense, on paper, but I feel like it’s effectively just changed the rules of WvW. Now people don’t attack keeps for fights, and don’t try to siege with even numbers, they just kind of zergball things down because they have to. While it is great for 5 people to be able to defend against 20, those 20 just come back with 60 and steamroll through. It hurts only the 20-30 man groups, which, while large, are a lot more fun to run in and run against than the 60-80 man blobs we see so regularly now.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

It’s still too easy to take a tower. Siege needs to be buffed more I think.

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

It’s called siege for a reason. It’s not meant to be easy and fights are meant to be prolonged and a desperate struggle for supply on both sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Caliban.3176

The only buff to siege that will make towers harder to take is a buff that automates siege. The reason towers are too easy to take is not because they cannot be defended but because they aren’t being defended.

This should not encourage some Anet dev to actually make automated siege happen, that would be a terrible idea.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

I don’t think that it should take a long time to take objectives, personally. Taking objectives makes fights happen. Fights are fun. Siege makes fights not happen. Therefore, siege is not fun.

This is just my opinion, but I think a lot of other guilds share it. We like the PvP aspect, not necessarily the score or points. Before the AC change, we could get the PvP aspect by sieging keeps or towers, but now it doesn’t feel the same way.

I want to contribute to my server’s score, and I think that I mostly do, but I would play the game as intended a LOT more if ACs didn’t completely invalidate most strategy. My guild can only really raid for 3-4 hours a night, tops. Do you really think we want to spend half of that on one objective? If we roam open field, we can get 5-6 fights in that same amount of time. We used to be able to get good fights in keeps, but we can’t anymore, because of the overpowered arrow carts and other siege.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

SHAKA ZULU.3128

The siege buff, in my opinion, was intended to allow small groups to have a counter to larger groups. It makes sense, on paper, but I feel like it’s effectively just changed the rules of WvW. Now people don’t attack keeps for fights, and don’t try to siege with even numbers, they just kind of zergball things down because they have to. While it is great for 5 people to be able to defend against 20, those 20 just come back with 60 and steamroll through. It hurts only the 20-30 man groups, which, while large, are a lot more fun to run in and run against than the 60-80 man blobs we see so regularly now.

It’s true, instead of it being a hard counter it just buys you another defense tick pretty much. With the new golem meta ACs are little less effective on the initial push, at least. I also think instead of players thinking “siege is buffed, now I will be more strategic with my placement, less is now more!” it turned into “siege is buffed, let’kitten the siege cap in one keep alone!” I am starting to think this mentality also actually undermines the effectiveness of long term, solid, keep defense, and pushes the karma train/zergballing harder, since you’re pouring hundreds of supply into siege and basically none into restoration if you manage to push the enemy out. They’ll just return in full force, manmode the gate down that wasn’t repaired, and the neo-keep siege/defense cycle continues until attrition by AC happens. I am rambling and that’s moving off topic a little though. Sorry.

love,

in WvW

Posted by: Pinko.2076

Pinko.2076

It’s called siege for a reason. It’s not meant to be easy and fights are meant to be prolonged and a desperate struggle for supply on both sides.

It’s a mistake to aim a game toward being thematically correct at the cost of, you know, fun.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

It’s true, instead of it being a hard counter it just buys you another defense tick pretty much. With the new golem meta ACs are little less effective on the initial push, at least. I also think instead of players thinking “siege is buffed, now I will be more strategic with my placement, less is now more!” it turned into “siege is buffed, let’kitten the siege cap in one keep alone!” I am starting to think this mentality also actually undermines the effectiveness of long term, solid, keep defense, and pushes the karma train/zergballing harder, since you’re pouring hundreds of supply into siege and basically none into restoration if you manage to push the enemy out. They’ll just return in full force, manmode the gate down that wasn’t repaired, and the neo-keep siege/defense cycle continues until attrition by AC happens. I am rambling and that’s moving off topic a little though. Sorry.

Your rambling is good, though. I think it shows that there are a lot of unintended consequences that accompany such sweeping buffs without much testing. I know the devs didn’t intend for this to happen, but I think that they need to at least sit down and talk to us about the effects that the changes have made, because, as you noted in your post, there are a LOT of really complicated consequences to their actions, especially when the changes are so drastic.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: Edeor.9720

Edeor.9720

Beyond the excellent arguments of the op, in my opinion it would be sufficient to submit the acs to the laws of physics.

Right now the acs can shoot through walls and ceilings, and this is just absurd, and to be honest even the skill cd is ridiculous. Come on, just a couple of seconds to reload a weapon that shoots dozens of arrows, are you kidding me?

Kareha Silverwind – mesmer of Clan McBenwick (Gunnar’s Hold)

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

Beyond the excellent arguments of the op, in my opinion it would be sufficient to submit the acs to the laws of physics.

Right now the acs can shoot through walls and ceilings, and this is just absurd, and to be honest even the skill cd is ridiculous. Come on, just a couple of seconds to reload a weapon that shoots dozens of arrows, are you kidding me?

I’ve long said that this would be an appropriate fix, as well. Make the spell have an actual cast time, like a ballista, require it to have psuedo-LOS, and then maybe make the projectiles blockable with spells like swirling winds or wall of absorption.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

It may be that siege weapons aren’t the problem, but rather you have simply gotten sick of the less competitive nature of objective fights and are just wanting more skill based combat.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

It may be that siege weapons aren’t the problem, but rather you have simply gotten sick of the less competitive nature of objective fights and are just wanting more skill based combat.

I’m sure that’s part of it, but I used to have some really fun fights in keeps, now I avoid those as much as possible.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Give Arrow Carts limited ammo.. problem solved. You want 20 ACs? congratz you just blew all your supply when you have to rebuild them

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in WvW

SHAKA ZULU.3128

Give Arrow Carts limited ammo.. problem solved. You want 20 ACs? congratz you just blew all your supply when you have to rebuild them

That’s interesting. Would you figure all projectile-based siege should have this? Do you think there could be a mechanic to feed it more ammo, but it would cost you?

love,

in WvW

Caliban.3176

While that help a lot I think it opens up too many possibilities for griefing. I do like the general idea of having to tactically pick the right time to use the AC. Maybe give it 20 shots before it goes on a full cooldown for 60s or more. Something to reduce the spam.

in WvW

Feed Me Change.6528

That’s interesting. Would you figure all projectile-based siege should have this? Do you think there could be a mechanic to feed it more ammo, but it would cost you?

For other projectile based siege.. it’s iffy. They don’t hold the same “lock down” power that ACs do. It would be really interesting to decide.. upgrade Garrison or treb Bay? Now you can do both really easily.

If there was a way to “reload” them, take it from available supply in the Keep but only after a worker upgrade. You upgrade your workers to “Ammunition Mechanics” for 300 supply and they will reload X number of AC every Y minutes.

The spammability of ACs puts them in-line with thieves, thus creating problems.

While that help a lot I think it opens up too many possibilities for griefing. I do like the general idea of having to tactically pick the right time to use the AC. Maybe give it 20 shots before it goes on a full cooldown for 60s or more. Something to reduce the spam.

The reasoning was the spam-ability of ACs. Making them more tactical is my reasoning behind such a move/change.

(edited by Feed Me Change.6528)

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

It’s a mistake to aim a game toward being thematically correct at the cost of, you know, fun.

Are the fights in keeps not that much more intense when a prolonged siege has melted away both parties supply to the point where attackers are forced into making decisions like “kitten we really need supply for more siege but can we risk sending guys out to run supply? If the enemy notice they could rush the position and drive us out”

On the same token, defenders will often be thinking “this is it guys, our last 100 supply, we gotta make this count, defend those AC’s at all costs because we won’t be getting any more!”

I have had some great battles at inner keeps because the lack of supply added an element of uncertainty and vulnerability to either side whereby you could react on the others action and turn the tide. Almost like interrupting a heal, rushing an enemy position cating your walls while some of them ran for supply can mean the difference between losing or keeping your structure.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

SHAKA ZULU.3128

For other projectile based siege.. it’s iffy. They don’t hold the same “lock down” power that ACs do. It would be really interesting to decide.. upgrade Garrison or treb Bay? Now you can do both really easily.

If there was a way to “reload” them, take it from available supply in the Keep but only after a worker upgrade. You upgrade your workers to “Ammunition Mechanics” for 300 supply and they will reload X number of AC every Y minutes.

I like this. I would also think it could replace siege timer. There would definitely be a steep learning curve for pugs not to just fire ACs willy nilly, but I get kind of tired of catering to that end of spectrum when it means throwing away would could be an interesting tactical change. The option to reload in a tower or keep would also keep them out of the open filed fights more. Hmm. You are right, as it stands now you don’t have to choose between sieging a nearby objective and upgrades, you get the whole shebang which doesn’t require a lot of thought. So maybe over time this encourages upgraded keeps before sieging surrounding towers and that, I do like.

love,

in WvW

Feed Me Change.6528

I like this. I would also think it could replace siege timer. There would definitely be a steep learning curve for pugs not to just fire ACs willy nilly, but I get kind of tired of catering to that end of spectrum when it means throwing away would could be an interesting tactical change. The option to reload in a tower or keep would also keep them out of the open filed fights more. Hmm. You are right, as it stands now you don’t have to choose between sieging a nearby objective and upgrades, you get the whole shebang which doesn’t require a lot of thought. So maybe over time this encourages upgraded keeps before sieging surrounding towers and that, I do like.

Well honestly.. WvW is more like “hot-join zerg warfare” rather than anything close to being tactical warfare, which it should be. A change like this would change the dynamic of WvW overnight. So many interesting dynamics will come into play if siege was limited use.

The only choice in WvW now is which commander to follow and which tower/keep to PvDoor with 80 people. That needs to change.

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

This is a bit complex, but anything would be better than the crazy godlike deathmachines that arrow carts have become.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Devon Carver

Holding a tower against all odds with some smart siege placement and a bit of luck may be one of the most fun things I’ve ever done in a video game.

Your retort basically boils down to “Speak for yourself, I speak for everyone”.
Here’s an idea, how about you speak for yourself too.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

(edited by Mif.3471)

in WvW

ParaldaWind.4523

Devon Carver

Your retort basically boils down to “Speak for yourself, I speak for everyone”.
Here’s an idea, how about you speak for yourself too.

I didn’t say I speak for everyone… I was specifically speaking about myself and my guild. Hence why I didn’t say something like, “You’re the only one who feels this way.” I’m sure there are people who like using arrow carts to wipe zergs… I’m just not one of them.

No tears, only dreams
[PYRO]

in WvW

SHAKA ZULU.3128

This is a bit complex, but anything would be better than the crazy godlike deathmachines that arrow carts have become.

Definitely complicated, not realistic and probably offputting to a lot of people, I am biased because I have about 1K hours in WvW so it sounds more appetizing to me than a new person just trying it out, I’m sure many others have more time than me invested too. It comes back to what I read to be a crux of your argument that rabid AC use doesn’t really have any consequences right now. Spam 1 to win, see many white numbers, all the loot with none of the dying. Going out to fight, dying, and hoofing it back or waiting for a rez, however, are consequences. So you can choose to be tactical with your siege or you can choose to be tactical with your fight, but neither is guaranteed to win you anything if you don’t plan (assuming the limited use siege is in effect). Keeps siege in the meta game with all of its buffs and benefits, but you can’t just spam it.

love,

in WvW

Mif.3471

I’m sure there are people who like using arrow carts to wipe zergs… I’m just not one of them.

Well whether you like it or not, siege warfare is one of the fundamental design elements of WvW. Stop demanding WvW to be changed to something it was never intended or claimed to be.

in WvW

Feed Me Change.6528

I’m sure there are people who like using arrow carts to wipe zergs… I’m just not one of them.

Well whether you like it or not, siege warfare is one of the fundamental design elements of WvW. Stop demanding WvW to be changed to something it was never intended or claimed to be.

So is the 2nd part, I don’t see it all that often though.

“sieging and controlling objectives and about open field combat

in WvW

Posted by: Benjamin.6235

Benjamin.6235

Whether siege is buffed or nerfed, it will always favor the group with larger numbers. There’s nothing that makes siege inside of a tower safer than the siege outside of it given you have more numbers to defend it and you have people willing to exploit their screen size, so it’s a linear force multiplier plain and simple. What we’re left with is whether it’s fun or not. Devon Carter might think it is, but I’d hazard that the majority of people who have stuck around this long disagree.

So here we are. As much as I love playing defense in everything real and virtual, the buffed siege weapons and trait lines have drastically altered the dynamic. Walls go down faster and structures submit to karma trains near instantly. There is nothing fun about that. Kitten PPT.

[DERP] – Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

This game has a very high skill cap for group combat, and it’s completely accidental. The diversity of builds, boon and condition management, micro and macro, bombing and regroups, it’s all very fun and engaging. It takes a lot of work and dedication to be good, and it’s completely 100% ignored by the devs. They made this amazing PvP mode that required real work and skill to be good at and then just completely marginalized those groups by playing to the lowest common denominator.

I could not disagree more. The nature of sharing all buffs outside parties eliminates consideration of group composition, instead it becomes “horde” composition. Further, hardcore wvw/gvg is composed of “Save Yourself” stacking through guardians, might stacking in an ele’s fire field, then running through the other blob like a bunch of trained seals with down syndrome. stop, stack, blast, balance this ball on your nose, repeat until your commander begrudgingly approves of the performance and attributes the success to his “leadership.” congratulations, you’re a red guard now.

there is no skill in that, no tactics, no pride or thought. there is no need for class variety or condition management when 1 single class brings all the buffs and cleanses you need. the only things guardians arent bringing are combo fields and veil, and it has a huge negative impact on any group play large enough to incorporate guardian stacking.

WvW has always been, in my opinion, the only true end-game to GW2.

This i agree with. Fractals is offered as high level PvE content but its not compelling to complete without being tied to the main story. the living story isnt even compelling because it also isnt tied to the main story (at least until a few more weeks, when Anet will fix it by saying “All this random crap was part of a single conspiracy #instaStory”).

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in WvW

Feed Me Change.6528

snip

So it doesn’t take skill to be one of, if not, the best? Learn something new every day.

Skill is a very “person based” thing. If person A is a master theory-crafter, person B is a master gear theory-crafter, person C is a great and motivational leader and person D is flawless in their execution of skills/utilities/attacks.. Aren’t all 4 of those types of people just as important to a group and guilds success as the others?

The answer is yes by the way.

AC mastery has removed this from WvW and like VoTF pushed hard for months back, it needs to change.

in WvW

Mif.3471

So is the 2nd part, I don’t see it all that often though.

“sieging and controlling objectives and about open field combat

No one is demanding open field combat be removed from the game.

in WvW

Posted by: Slomo.1029

Slomo.1029

I could not disagree more. The nature of sharing all buffs outside parties eliminates consideration of group composition, instead it becomes “horde” composition. Further, hardcore wvw/gvg is composed of “Save Yourself” stacking through guardians, might stacking in an ele’s fire field, then running through the other blob like a bunch of trained seals with down syndrome. stop, stack, blast, balance this ball on your nose, repeat until your commander begrudgingly approves of the performance and attributes the success to his “leadership.” congratulations, you’re a red guard now.

there is no skill in that, no tactics, no pride or thought. there is no need for class variety or condition management when 1 single class brings all the buffs and cleanses you need. the only things guardians arent bringing are combo fields and veil, and it has a huge negative impact on any group play large enough to incorporate guardian stacking.

If you think this is all that happens in a organised, good guild group like RG was then you couldnt be more wrong. People figured out positioning for buff sharing and focus their dmg. Figured when to run as train and when to spread out. A simple “stack, blast fire field, push straight line” doesnt work for some months now. Even the most boring blobby servers on EU got their players to use tanky gear and blast fire fields. If you want to beat that, you need to outsmart them in different ways.
Ofc there are some guilds that think bringing 16 guards, 3 eles and 1 veil will win them every fight. I never saw any of those succeed.

~ Gandara