Account Bound Commander Tag

in WvW

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

My Ranger is a commander, I did this because at the time I was playing that more than any of my other characters. This was before they announced account based WXP. I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to bring that tag over to my other characters without having to shell out the 100g. I know a ton of people probably already bought multiple tags, and I doubt they’d mind getting a refund for that. Or do you think commander tags should be character based?
Personally I thought it was a little odd that anyone could just drop 100g and be a commander, and that there should have been some sort of proof that you have at least spent some time in WvW. Badges of Honor seemed like the way to go with that until they started giving out heaping piles of them for free with the achievement chests.
Doesn’t matter now, the monsters are out of the cage and tons of people have the tags. My main question is what people think of the idea of allowing you to use your tag on all your characters.

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

This has been discussed in the commander CDI, and I fully approve.

in WvW

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I do not like this idea. It should stay the way it is, maybe with price increased to 200 gold.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

This is another character bound issue that should have been account bound. Spending 500g just so a player can command with five different alts is a bit silly.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Its a good idea but then they would have floods of complaints from those people that purchased multiple tags on multiple characters.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Its a good idea but then they would have floods of complaints from those people that purchased multiple tags on multiple characters.

They could refund everyone’s money and reset all the tags.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

100g isn’t alot

in WvW

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

My server is woefully deficient of commanders and part of that is because they play on alts and only switch over if circumstances are dire. If commander tags were account bound I really believe we’d have more frequent and available leadership.

Aside from that, for 100g I’ve always thought they should have been account bound anyway. I really don’t understand in this day and age why games continue to be so alt unfriendly.

in WvW

Posted by: TheFiendishFiend.4057

TheFiendishFiend.4057

I approve of this idea.
I do not approve of a commander tag on a Ranger :P

~Lion~
Bearer of Tyrion’s Personal Banner, and[BOMB] GvG Officer

in WvW

Posted by: BirdSong.2541

BirdSong.2541

100g isn’t alot

Keep all current commanders.
Make the new price for commander tag 1,000G and account bound.
Its not a lot if you’ve played since headstart.

Attachments:

Commander Rob
ZoS Guild
Northern Shiverpeaks Nightcrew

(edited by BirdSong.2541)

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I approve of this idea.
I do not approve of a commander tag on a Ranger :P

Nothin’ wrong with Ranger commanders, I’ve seen one who’s quite suicidal but he knows what he’s doing compared to most.
Plus he can use his Bear Pet, or whatever Pet he wishes as a Decoy: “Ha got you now Mr Ranger commander, oh it’s Yogi.. sorry!”

I don’t approve by the way, commander tags are way too easy to obtain as it is.
They should just seperate PVE/wvw commander tags, as what’s being discussed in the CDI.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Hexin.5603

Hexin.5603

Omg bridsong, no wonder you could dish out the money on that kaineng bet so many months back. Good god that’s alot. Move it 2 decimal places over << way and that’s more like it.

Willing to pay for boxed expansion if you put legit GvG in the box $$

in WvW

BirdSong.2541

Omg bridsong, no wonder you could dish out the money on that kaineng bet so many months back. Good god that’s alot. Move it 2 decimal places over << way and that’s more like it.

I can’t even remember how much I bet on that. Was a while ago indeed! Glad people are still around to remember

Commander Rob
ZoS Guild

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

I can’t even remember how much I bet on that. Was a while ago indeed! Glad people are still around to remember

You should like.

Gift me a twilight or something..

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Totally agree…Everything other than gear/armor/weapons should be account bound. Solebound is not relavent in 2014 MMO….Make it accountbound and let us move on…

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in WvW

BirdSong.2541

You should like.

Gift me a twilight or something..

Eternity is where its at man.
But they said there are new legendaries coming out eventually, so might as well wait until [The Bird Song] is released. A legendary staff which shoots pink birds.

Commander Rob
ZoS Guild

in WvW

Straegen.2938

100g isn’t alot

That is actually an obscene amount of money if you have been playing WvW almost exclusively since headstart. WvW players for the longest were lucky to squeak 1g per hour of play and that didn’t include expenses such as gear, food, etc. If we want to make it expensive and “fair”, sell it for 10 million karma and 10k badges. Players who have been WvWing for hundreds of hours can afford that.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

BirdSong.2541

100g isn’t alot

That is actually an obscene amount of money if you have been playing WvW almost exclusively since headstart. WvW players for the longest were lucky to squeak 1g per hour of play and that didn’t include expenses such as gear, food, etc. If we want to make it expensive and “fair”, sell it for 10 million karma and 10k badges. Players who have been WvWing for hundreds of hours can afford that.

Should be 50k badges. You can make 10k badges in 2 weeks.
1 week if you dont enjoy sleeping.

You can make 20G daily from WvW alone.
If you’re clever you can flip the trading post while commanding in WvW, taking that original profit and recycling it over and over again.
Meaning after a short year you can afford to buy lots of people commander tags.

But yeh, exclusive is what GW2 is. Theres no room for casuals in WvW. If you cater for casuals then everything becomes extremely easy for the old timers, and they roll everything. Capitalism at its finest.

Still waiting for Ultimate Server Commander tag to come out.
Which shakes the ground when the commander enters the map.

Commander Rob
ZoS Guild

(edited by BirdSong.2541)

in WvW

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

100g isn’t alot

Kitten that.

He was joking, and I hope you are too lol.

Ive spent a tag on three toons so far. No regrets.

Except for my ranger maybe. Good memories on it though

Commander Nachonix

in WvW

BirdSong.2541

100g isn’t alot

Kitten that.

He was joking, and I hope you are too lol.

Ive spent a tag on three toons so far. No regrets.

Except for my ranger maybe. Good memories on it though

Joking??
For that I think the prices should be upped to 10,000G and you have to have a minimum of 400 followers to be able to get a commander tag.

NSP for T1 under only commander in game.

Commander Rob
ZoS Guild

in WvW

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Way back at release, everyone complained about the Commander Tag being Soulbound, and a Dev got on here and explained that they wanted people to get used to seeing the exact same name pop up on the map as a Commander, day in and day out, and not be confused about who was Commanding when he switched to his alt.

Really, the Commander Tag should never have been gated by Gold in the first place; there was a lot of discussion about this all the way back in Beta! At release, it was really hard to buy a Commander Icon, and usually required an entire guild to pool their money in order to have a Commander in the first few weeks, but it was clear that eventually everyone in the game would have an Icon if they wanted it.

One of the alternative ideas that came up early on was that the Commander Icon should be something that the guild has to “unlock”, like Guild Buffs or Guild Siege or Banners, etc, and once it’s unlocked, that guild could simply designate one member as the Commander whenever they enter WvW, but the Icon would only be bound to the guild, not to a player. So upon entering WvW, the guild would somehow decide which person would Command that day, and designate that person, and when they have to leave or another Commander shows up, they simply switch the tag to another guildie. Unfortunately, it’s probably too late for Anet to revisit that idea now, but it did seem to make more sense to a lot of people at the time. At that time, of course, Anet ONLY talked about the Commander Icons in reference to WvW, so until we started trying it out, no one even knew if they’d work in PvE or not. Now, however, Lion’s Arch is just a sea of Commanders on practically every server (in NA at least), so… idk. But yeah, any discussions about it costing more gold aren’t really a big deal, they just make it harder for new Commanders to get started, while making the Icon more of a status symbol in PvE, really. And making it cost a large amount of Badges might tie the Icon to WvW a little more, but then Guilds can’t pool resources to get someone a Commander Tag, because Badges aren’t tradeable. And, of course, troll commanders will still get their Icons, even if they cost Badges.

I’m not really sure how to fix this problem without making a lot of people upset, but the “Guild Bound” Commander Tag always made a lot of sense to me.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

in WvW

Posted by: Perkysaurus.2630

Perkysaurus.2630

Gold like everything else in this game is easy to get. While I was never fond of it being being bought only with gold I would suggest that this is something that should be bought with influence or merits. The game seems to place very little emphasis on guilds with I do find amusing this could be a step towards making them much more desirable.

in WvW

Posted by: cpryme.4830

cpryme.4830

I agree, but I also think that your alt should not have access to the commander tag until lvl 80. Not like it’s that hard to get there, but not a lot people would not be up to listening to an up level. Also, I totally agree with Perkysaurus that the tag should be bought with influence and merits somehow because it’s too easy to get the gold in the game for the commander tag. It’s too accessible already to just anybody….you should truly have to earn it and show that you have a lot of game knowledge to get it.

(edited by cpryme.4830)

in WvW

Posted by: Suniahk.7268

Suniahk.7268

As to the whole “getting people used to the same commanders” thing, you could tie a tag to a character, but allow alts to utilize the tag under that name. For example, when your commander tag is active, your account name in brackets could be showing, minus the numbers. For instance, for me, it would show (Suniahk) beside all my characters. That way, you know exactly who is commanding, regardless of the character name showing. Also, I completely agree that gold is a terrible metric for buying a tag. Badges seems like the best idea, as that’s the only WvW specific currency. Something to the tune of 1500 to 2000 would be ideal, as that would take time as well as not directly giving achievement hunters a tag just for PvE alone.