Are AoE Loot Macros allowed?

in WvW

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I am looking to get an official Arenanet response on their policy on the use of AoE Loot macros now that there is a bindable key for AoE Loot. A lot has changed since GW2 started and we believe this needs to be brought up for discussion.

Many of us would like to use a looping key for this, as we play WvW and there are constantly bags dropping everywhere. We would like to focus on combat and not “Oh where did that bag go?” The new AoE loot system has helped us dramatically, and we really DO appreciate it greatly. But it would be nice if we could get an official reply post on taking it to the next level.

An looping AoE loot macro essentially makes an auto-loot feature where bags are opened and deposited in your inventory almost instantly. Die hard WvW players are going to start getting carpal tunnel syndrome soon!

Arenanet, please reply with a post either accepting or disapproving its use. Will continue to press F until a response is acquired!

On another note having autoloot just act as a toggle doesn’t sound so bad. It could tick every 1.3 seconds or something.

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t realize putting “ArenaNet” in title is against forum terms of use. Thanks for editing it!

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

(edited by WhiteAndMilky.2514)

in WvW

Posted by: TheAmpca.1753

TheAmpca.1753

Not sure what Anets stance on this would be however I do know that it has been said that Anet uses the bag system due to system limitations but are looking into a better system.

in WvW

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

Yea was wondering about this aswel, it is not like it gives you an advantage over anyone. I think this should be allowed. If it is allowed, make sure to put the delay on 1.05-1.1 seconds instead of 1second to compensate the lags =p.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in WvW

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I don’t see why auto-loot doesn’t simply put the loot into your bag for WvW. Having the loot bags appear at your feet was a massive improvement over having to loot the bodies back in BWE1 (especially for sieges where much of your loot would be up on the top of the wall, or out amongst the enemy’s main force)… but having to constantly be hitting your interact/area loot key if you are on the move and expect a kill just seems like a useless vestigial trait from actually looting the bodies.

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: TheAmpca.1753

TheAmpca.1753

I don’t see why auto-loot doesn’t simply put the loot into your bag for WvW.

This is because of the system lags when you do this for some technical reason.

On another note having autoloot just act as a toggle doesn’t sound so bad. It could tick every 1.3 seconds or something.

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I don’t see why auto-loot doesn’t simply put the loot into your bag for WvW.

This is because of the system lags when you do this for some technical reason.

This is essentially exactly what the macro would do, this is why I hope anet would be ok with it. I would absolutely love it if they would implement it as a looping toggle feature in the settings, good idea!

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

As that was posted 4 months ago and much has changed, this should be something Anet should review and get back to us about. Its understandable under there reasoning because of “botting” advantages but as OP states its quite a bore having to focus any of your time on looting in WvW. It takes away from some of the combat which should be the main focus of enjoyment.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

As that was posted 4 months ago and much has changed, this should be something Anet should review and get back to us about.

I used a piece of what you said and edited it into the main post.

used this in main post

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Doing this likely violates the letter of the law, but I don’t think it would violate the intent. If they ever banned someone for auto-picking up bags especially before they heavily cracked down on legit cheaters, I would have a serious problem with said ban.

As with most things in life, use at your own peril even if that peril is extremely minimal.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Vic.1754

Vic.1754

As a commander I tend to leave a lot of bags in WvW because I just don’t have the time to run back after a fight and loot. I try to loot as much as possible during fights but its really difficult to get all my bags. Having an auto-loot macro would save me so many bags. I mourn for all the precursors I’ve left on the battlefield.

Vic Almighty – Guardian | Commander
Almighty Leader of Knights of the Temple [KnT] – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Triggering one action without having to push one key? Not legal, simple..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

You would have to press one key.

in WvW

Tribio.8531

Well, you would have to press one key and the resulting action will be repeating itself (without you having to push the key again).. So all actions (besides the first one) aren’t triggered by key..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Fissure of Woe

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Well, you would have to press one key and the resulting action will be repeating itself (without you having to push the key again).. So all actions (besides the first one) aren’t triggered by key..

Well you would have to push it again to turn it off.

in WvW

Tribio.8531

Well you would have to push it again to turn it off.

Indeed.. So, imagine you push your Macro-key and run around for 5 minutes, after which you push the key again:
- 2 actions on your side (pushing of key) <→ tons of actions on game-side

And this is against the rules of the game: One key should result in one action..

Fissure of Woe

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Indeed.. So, imagine you push your Macro-key and run around for 5 minutes, after which you push the key again:
- 2 actions on your side (pushing of key) <-> tons of actions on game-side

And this is against the rules of the game: One key should result in one action..

That’s why I posted this!

A lot has changed since GW2 started and we believe this needs to be brought up for discussion.

in WvW

Posted by: Fenrir.6183

Fenrir.6183

You do know that other games require you to actually stop what you’re doing and loot the corpse (=> some games even have you kneel and not be able to do anything else) ?
The new loot option is great and imo none other is needed. Just use the key while fighting, you can even spam it.

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

You do know that other games require you to actually stop what you’re doing and loot the corpse (=> some games even have you kneel and not be able to do anything else) ?
The new loot option is great and imo none other is needed. Just use the key while fighting, you can even spam it.

I personally don’t think we should be spamming a random key to pick up bags while trying to defeat hordes of enemies.

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

This isn’t the point of the discussion and this isn’t other games. As stated above I think anyone in WvW is very grateful for the new AoE looting. Zero Complaints about that here. We are merely requesting Anet reviews the subject on macro’s pertaining to this new AoE looting or give us a option in game. Just like all things, there is always room for improvement, AoE looting was a amazing step in the right direction but some feel that it could be better. A macro (for a action that only effects you and no one else) could really raise the level of enjoyment in WvW, allow people to focus more on WvW and less on looting.

As for looting it’s self…very rarely do we find a fight that is just going to stand there and let us kill them so our loot bags are all in one place. Fights are moving, using the terrain, if your in constant battle running in the wrong direction for some loot bags can end up being a waste of time. This would only allow you to reap your rewards while still enjoying the fast movement and never ending battles in WvW.

EDIT: Or just let me bind Jump and AoE loot together on space bar.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

(edited by Zikory.6871)

in WvW

Posted by: Bear on the job.6273

Bear on the job.6273

Here’s what you do – glue a toothpick from your spacebar to one of your Alt keys, and bind your Alt key to AOE loot. Problem solved. Your finger now presses 2 buttons at once, performing 2 actions at once while still following the “one button, one action” rule. That way all the kitten sticklers can’t come on here and quote rules.

in WvW

Vic.1754

Here’s what you do – glue a toothpick from your spacebar to one of your Alt keys, and bind your Alt key to AOE loot. Problem solved. Your finger now presses 2 buttons at once, performing 2 actions at once while still following the “one button, one action” rule. That way all the kitten sticklers can’t come on here and quote rules.

Genius!

(edited by Vic.1754)

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

For AoE loot, why would you need a macro? Just hit the new AoE loot key every couple seconds while in combat. It has a decent enough range that now I never miss bags!

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

For AoE loot, why would you need a macro? Just hit the new AoE loot key every couple seconds while in combat. It has a decent enough range that now I never miss bags!

Yeah it’s easier to pick up loot now. But when you play hours of wvw every day in tier 1, the last thing you need to worry about is pressing your loot key constantly, there are way more important things to think about. An AoE looping macro should be allowed in WvW since it has no negative effects and die hard players can worry about combat only.

in WvW

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

The funny thing is the auto-attack is pretty much like a macro itself. Press it once and it cycles through your 3-skill rotation.

in WvW

Vic.1754

The funny thing is the auto-attack is pretty much like a macro itself. Press it once and it cycles through your 3-skill rotation.

I don’t see why we can’t have this for looting as well. IMO I don’t think we should have to pick up loot in WvW, it should automatically appear in your bags. There are way more important things to worry about than loot bags and everyone hates to leave them behind or spam a stupid key trying to pickup loot while working skills and trying to stay alive.

in WvW

Tribio.8531

Ctrl-MouseClick2 your #1 skill and see what happens afterwards..

Fissure of Woe

in WvW

Vic.1754

I fail to see how this is relevant?

in WvW

Tribio.8531

I fail to see how this is relevant?

Stating that the game gives you a macro-like mechanic here.. (one key pushed, multiple actions keep repeating)

Fissure of Woe

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

So according to the link it IS allowed.

“Does this program allow someone to play faster, better, longer, or more accurately than someone who doesn’t use it?” – No.

“Does this program allow someone to ‘play’ when he/she is not at the computer?” – No

“Does this program allow the user to gain undeserved rewards?” – No.

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol. – It does as it would only spam the “F” key I believe….

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol.

1. This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
2. For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.

Seems like it’s perfectly valid. You’ve just bound the “area loot” button to a macro instead of a spell or skill.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Tanek.5983

Tanek.5983

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol.

1. This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
2. For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.

Seems like it’s perfectly valid. You’ve just bound the “area loot” button to a macro instead of a spell or skill.

From my understanding of the original question, though, the problem would be that the player is NOT pressing any keys. The macro would be running all on its own. That is the part not allowed.

in WvW

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

So according to the link it IS allowed.

“Does this program allow someone to play faster, better, longer, or more accurately than someone who doesn’t use it?” – No.

“Does this program allow someone to ‘play’ when he/she is not at the computer?” – No

“Does this program allow the user to gain undeserved rewards?” – No.

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol. – It does as it would only spam the “F” key I believe….

I believe you’ve misunderstood if you think this is something we’d condone. How is auto-looting not automating gameplay? How is “spamming” the “F” key still one key for one action? How would use of this not give advantage when compared to the player who is individually picking up loot?

Certainly the “Does it allow the player to play faster?” question can be answered in the affirmative. Does it? Yes. That clearly indicates use of this is not suitable use. Consider carefully before giving credence to one individual’s interpretation of a very clear set of parameters.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)