Zackie.8923

it was one of the most fun experience i ever had in wvw

why not reinstate it?

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

Because it…

- Was really easy to hack for your team. One could fly in a keep and take it their own.
- Favored the winning team a lot more than the ruins system we have at the moment.

Other than that it was interesting mechaninc and really fun to play around, but personally I wouldn’t take it back for the above reasons.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

yes i know there were downsides, but instead of taking out the mechanic, they should get rid of the problems with it

it was a very nice mechanic because it was a different “mode” to the domination mode already present

i still fondly remember the epic chases all over the map.

it was EPIC

(edited by Zackie.8923)

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Sobiech.9613

Sobiech.9613

Whether it was better to remove it completely rather than fix those problems is debatable. In the end, Anet chose to remove it. I would rather have other things in WvW at this point.

Reine Tovar [HoTR] – Mesmer
Aerika [HoTR] – Necromancer

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

For those that never played DAoC, the orb system was basically an idea that each realm(world in this matter) had a relic (orb in this case).

Relic raids were hugely fun. It required alot of large scale co-ordination and you had to carry the kitten relic all the way back to your keep. You could get ganked and it would drop on the floor and would reset if nothing happened.

There were diversion groups just to hide the true carrier of the relic when moving to the keep. Now mind you, DAoC frontiers(the BLs) were huge and to carry it from one area to another was also a feat.

The problem in GW2 is that there are no seamless transitions from one BL to the other. So to implement a DAoC like relic(orb) system would never be the same.

With that said, the ruins are a better option than the orb system but the ruin capture is way less fun than the orb capture.

Maybe Anet coders will release seamless transitions between zones with the release of the dx11.1 update(Most likely now dx12 update, but cant confirm yet).

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Tychondus.4821

Tychondus.4821

Maybe Anet coders will release seamless transitions between zones with the release of the dx11.1 update(Most likely now dx12 update, but cant confirm yet).

This is offtopic, i would like to know if this is true. Are they really upgrading to dx11?

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Yes bring back the orbs. Don’t give them the +stats though.

I don’t care if they do get hacked, its better than nothing.

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Bring back the orbs or just bring any new form of new content before everyone in WvW move to the same server and just starts running in circles.

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Fuzzion.2504

This is offtopic, i would like to know if this is true. Are they really upgrading to dx11?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/DirectX-11-any-News

Lets cross fingers /pray

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

Very VERY doubtful, it was talked about close to launch time, and never heard of again. The best chance we have of an API update would be with an expansion pack, and even then I would not hold my breath.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Fuzzion.2504

Very VERY doubtful, it was talked about close to launch time, and never heard of again. The best chance we have of an API update would be with an expansion pack, and even then I would not hold my breath.

I think its highly plausible. But with what you said, an expansion, something really massive. With the F2P model and Anets release of the game in china this year i reckon GW3 would be very far away. But i hope an expansion if that does happen in the form of a massive update that they recode it for dx12 seeing the performance increase over dx11.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

I really don’t think so and even if they did it wouldn’t work like you guys are thinking.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Mizu.9387

Mizu.9387

What few seems to understand is that the maps where designed with the orbs in mind. The home team had an advantage to snatch the orb and place it in one of their keeps. This functioned as an incentive for the invading teams to push upwards the map instead of sideways, focusing the battles around a particular keep. It was a crucial part of the map design. Without the orb its like playing a moba without a base to push towards, a ctf mode without a flag, turning into a simple points game without any goal or purpose to the map.

The argument that it was too easy to hack is just silly, there was suggestions made day one that you had to actually capture the keep or kill at least the lord before you could take the orb, a solution that would have solved most issues.

Sif Urkraft

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Zackie.8923

so bring back the orb , i am throwing cash at the screen come on!

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Yes I agree orb needs to come back but in a way that doesn’t favor the most stacked server.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Twinbros.5372

Twinbros.5372

No, this was the worst change they made to WvW. All it would do is make the dominant realm more so.

Tarnished Coast. 80 Elementalist , 80 Ranger, 80 Mesmer, 80 Guardian

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Zackie.8923

No, this was the worst change they made to WvW. All it would do is make the dominant realm more so.

dude didn’t bother to read at all, how nice

Bring back the orb!

in WvW

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

I’d love to see the orbs back, but give them a non-stat boost. Like, 30/40/50% WXP boost (small DR effect for controlling multiple orbs but still making it worthwhile to try and control them all).

Cheating will always be an issue, it still is today, but at least losing an orb with a buff to WXP won’t cripple your forces on all maps.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation