Colour variation and EoTM

in WvW

Posted by: Ironvos.9014

Ironvos.9014

I’m not sure if this issue has been brought up yet.
But as it is now, the colour you will play as in wvw is still very dependent on your rank and rating
In any matchup, the higher rank has most chance to be green, the middle rank blue, and the lowest rank red. This is clearly visible in matchups where there are big gaps in ratings.

I suggest that for the sake of giving people variation, both in wvw and EoTM, the colour you start as at reset should be completely randomized.
So the first randomization determines what servers you are teamed up with.
After this is done, a second randomization picks your colour, this should be a totally unbiased randomization so that every week you have 1/3 chance of being any colour.

This would give servers that are somewhat locked into their rank and tier more variation in what side they play as in wvw and EoTM.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

In any matchup, the higher rank has most chance to be green, the middle rank blue, and the lowest rank red. This is clearly visible in matchups where there are big gaps in ratings.

That’s just not true. The matching calculation does not consider tier, so the likelihood that ranks 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, and 22 will be green… well, the fact that they are at that position is irrelevant.

It is very likely that ranks 1, 2, and 3 will fight each other. It is much less likely that they will be sorted as 1, 2, 3. It is very unlikely that the majority of the leaderboard will be sorted that way, as you are concerned about.

A server’s chance to be at a certain color is decided by how nearly equal its ranking score is to the servers nearest to it on the leaderboard, as well as its volatility (the amount it tends to move in rank over time). Then randomness is factored in as well.

We have fairly often seen Tier 1 and others fight each other while being shuffled in color (rank 3 green, rank 2 blue, rank 1 red, for instance).

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

in WvW

Ironvos.9014

That’s just not true. The matching calculation does not consider tier, so the likelihood that ranks 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, and 22 will be green… well, the fact that they are at that position is irrelevant.

It is very likely that ranks 1, 2, and 3 will fight each other. It is much less likely that they will be sorted as 1, 2, 3. It is very unlikely that the majority of the leaderboard will be sorted that way, as you are concerned about.

A server’s chance to be at a certain color is decided by how nearly equal its ranking score is to the servers nearest to it on the leaderboard, as well as its volatility (the amount it tends to move in rank over time). Then randomness is factored in as well.

We have fairly often seen Tier 1 and others fight each other while being shuffled in color (rank 3 green, rank 2 blue, rank 1 red, for instance).

I wasn’t talking about tiers there, but about ranks.
Matchups where all servers are close in ranking score will be nearly random when it comes to what colour they get.
Matchups where there is a big gap in ranking score will nearly always have highest green, middle blue and lowest red.

This week for example there is only 1 matchup where the lowest rank is green, and that’s because all three are close in rankings. And 13 matchups have the lowest rank as red.

Just saying that the colour should be completely random and should not depend your rating for the sake of variation.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

I am red and we won our MU in the EotM by 1500 points yesterday.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

Matchups where all servers are close in ranking score will be nearly random when it comes to what colour they get.
Matchups where there is a big gap in ranking score will nearly always have highest green, middle blue and lowest red.

This week for example there is only 1 matchup where the lowest rank is green, and that’s because all three are close in rankings. And 13 matchups have the lowest rank as red.

Just saying that the colour should be completely random and should not depend your rating for the sake of variation.

More specifically, this part:

EU has exactly ZERO cases of your described scenario. The proof is basic arithmetic, and is attached here. We don’t even need to run the match-up prediction code 100,000 times and aggregate the results for this one.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-matchup-variance-reduction/

The new values allow for adjustments as much as (devation * 0.45 + 10), capped at 100. In both cases, the roll is plus-or-minus these values multiplied by a random real value in the range (-1,1).

Also observe the Deviation column of https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/wvw

You can stop worrying now! It’s just the observer’s bias talking!

Attachments:

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

(edited by Virtute.8251)

in WvW

Ironvos.9014

More specifically, this part:

EU has exactly ZERO cases of your described scenario. The proof is basic arithmetic, and is attached here. We don’t even need to run the match-up prediction code 100,000 times and aggregate the results for this one.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-matchup-variance-reduction/

The new values allow for adjustments as much as (devation * 0.45 + 10), capped at 100. In both cases, the roll is plus-or-minus these values multiplied by a random real value in the range (-1,1).

Also observe the Deviation column of https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/wvw

You can stop worrying now! It’s just the observer’s bias talking!

You seem to be missing the point of why i started this thread.
My issue is not with who is matched up with who, it’s only about what colours servers are assigned to in the matchup.
Colours now are somewhat random, but as i said many times before, in matchups where the is a big gap in server rating between the servers, very often will the highest ranked server be green, the middle is blue and the lowest is red.

You say there are no matchups like this? look at T6-T9 in EU.
All servers have quite big gaps in rating and are assigned colours as i said.

If you look at servers like Vabbi, they are almost always red.
Sanctum of Rall is pretty much always red atm because of rating gaps with the other T1 servers.

What my point is:
Once the matchups have been determined, have the colours be randomized with 1/3 chance of each colour for every server in a matchup.

Far Shiverpeaks
Luna Solares – Mesmer