Common misconceptions

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

1. The term “Guild Wars” does not refer to PVP; it actually refers to the PVE lore of old Tyrian guilds waging war against each other.

2. If you think PVE is a popular aspect of this game, all you have to do is go check the events/PVE section and discover that people take it quite seriously.

3. The grand majority of hardcore WvW players absolutely do NOT care about PPT anymore.

4. There is no “Condition Meta” like people claim it does; the only real meta there is is the PVT hammer train. How people never referred to that as a meta, and now talk about condition meta in WvW is completely beyond me.

Any other common misconceptions people need to get off their chest?

(edited by Convenant.7092)

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Just asking wich WvW tier u play?

Players saying condition is a meta atm becouse on WvW all you see is necros swarms and builds based on conditions damage.

Pvt hammer train is past, in my opinion offcourse.

Edi: im not telling that theres a condition meta, players just sawping to more productive builds/classes.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

#1… yep… so good I am putting it in my tag line (had to modify to get down to 100 chars)

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Convenant.7092

#1… yep… so good I am putting it in my tag line (had to modify to get down to 100 chars)

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing with me or just sarcastic.

From the wiki:

The Guild Wars are the series of at least three wars among different guilds in the three human kingdoms of Ascalon, Kryta, and Orr. The wars ended only because the charr invasion from the north meant an even bigger threat to the three kingdoms.

The second Guild War was memorialized by the construction of Surmia in 1020 AE. Ascalon was the kingdom victorious of this war according to the Historical Monument of Surmia. It is unlikely that the war ended during 1020 AE, however, due to the length of the latest Guild War.

The most recent Guild War lasted for 57 years (from 1013 AE until 1070 AE). The war caused much suffering and hatred between the people of the three kingdoms. These old wounds can be seen in the present day in the form of the mistrust King Adelbern holds towards the efforts of Kryta to help Ascalon recover from the charr invasion, particularly towards Ambassador Zain. During this war, King Adelbern was a war hero which led to his eventual crowning as a king instead of Barradin becoming king.

While there have been many Guild Wars prior to this one, when characters in the game refer to the Guild War, they mean the last one which ended with the Searing. While initially confined to a conflict between guilds, when open combat erupted in the streets of Arah, Orr responded to protect its holy city. The military action against Krytan and Ascalonian guilds spurred the other nations into responding, leading to open conflict between the three nations.

http://wiki.guildwar.../The_Guild_Wars

(edited by Convenant.7092)

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing with me or just sarcastically stupid.
snip

I think he was agreeing.

I’m not a lore guy, never liked that stuff tbh, but if there is not current “guild war” going on, why is this game called Guild Wars?

And to be technical, each person belongs to a guild (race) and a Guild (group of people with common goals) so wouldn’t “guild wars” incorporate both of those ideals?

The term “The Guild Wars” refers to the PvE side you are talking about, while “guild wars” refers to guilds (either races or people) fighting over something, to me at least.

But shouldn’t what a Guild War is be open to interpretation by the person?

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Convenant.7092

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing with me or just sarcastically stupid.
snip

I think he was agreeing.

I’m not a lore guy, never liked that stuff tbh, but if there is not current “guild war” going on, why is this game called Guild Wars?

And to be technical, each person belongs to a guild (race) and a Guild (group of people with common goals) so wouldn’t “guild wars” incorporate both of those ideals?

The term “The Guild Wars” refers to the PvE side you are talking about, while “guild wars” refers to guilds (either races or people) fighting over something, to me at least.

But shouldn’t what a Guild War is be open to interpretation by the person?

It should; however, using this argument against ArenaNet is unfair.

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

1. The term “Guild Wars” does not refer to PVP; it actually refers to the PVE lore of old Tyrian guilds waging war against each other.

2. If you think PVE is a popular aspect of this game, all you have to do is go check the events/PVE section and discover that people take it quite seriously.

3. The grand majority of hardcore WvW players absolutely do NOT care about PPT anymore.

4. There is no “Condition Meta” like people claim it does; the only real meta there is is the PVT hammer train. How people never referred to that as a meta, and now talk about condition meta in WvW is completely beyond me.

Any other common misconceptions people need to get off their chest?

1) I’m less interested in the lore, and more interested in stuff players have been asking for (pretty much daily) since beta.

2) PvE houses the majority of players in GW2. I think we all know that. WvW is also no slouch. :-P

3) PPT matters less than ever to players, and people care less every day. The current matchup system has killed the PPT meta since for most matchups it just doesn’t matter anymore. Winner is decided by Sunday morning.

4) Conditions are a HUGE part of the meta, but stacking condition damage really isn’t at present. It’s far more important to load on of stacks of vulnerability, blindness, and immobilizes, have your heavies worry about targeted CC/Healing/condition-clearing (and decent damage too), then let lighter classes pour on the damage from the outside. That seems to be the present meta. In smaller groups, individual condition damage can be a lot more valuable.

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing with me or just sarcastic.

I agree with you. I see the “but it is called Guild Wars” line a lot on these forums as justification about some GvG or WvW complaint. I understand the mix up but the lore ignorance irritates me a tiny bit.

Oh and yes I did add it to my tag line…

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

1) is a major pet peeve of mine. You can’t make assumptions about a game from the title alone. The lore of Tyria can be an interesting education, I suggest giving a few of WoodenPotatoes videos a listen. The name of the original chapter of this game wasn’t even called Guild Wars . . . it was The Flameseeker Prophesies . . . which was obviously too long so they used the name of the wars preceding the game to tie the 3 chapters together with a history of decades full of bloody battles.

Of course it is helpful to remember that the original purpose of Guild Wars was not be a PvE oriented game but one with a strong PvP focus where PvE was to be a quick and simple tutorial . . . but the players didn’t see things that way and ANET was forced to change their plans midway through to please the majority. Sadly I think they learned their lesson for GW2 and gave up on their PvP focused dreams other than that illusive esport chance they seem so intent to set up for sPvP. I am still not even sure how we got WvW out of the original yet despite all its issues, I am glad to have a such open world 3 faction competitive fun casuals can enjoy along with the hardcores. /cheers

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Just asking wich WvW tier u play?

Players saying condition is a meta atm becouse on WvW all you see is necros swarms and builds based on conditions damage.

Pvt hammer train is past, in my opinion offcourse.

Edi: im not telling that theres a condition meta, players just sawping to more productive builds/classes.

If you think there is a condition meta then you have to be referring to small man roaming groups and duels. The amount of passive and active condi clears and stability>condition builds.

Trap Rangers – Have been around a long time

Condi warrior – Been around but is better now but is it better in ZvZ than a war running hammer and direct damage?

Necro’s – always been condi’s though they are also better now but you see alot of power well mancers also because necros have condis on alot of there builds by default doesn’t mean they are condi. A warrior can be direct damage and run sword that has bleeds on its auto attack but that doesn’t mean its condi.

Condi Engi’s- been around a long time.

Condi mesmers – Disappeared for a bit came back with P/U buff and got better with runes of perplexity

Condi eles -????

Condi Guardians – ????

Condi thief – was popular around release and through december still see them sometimes but not nearly as popular anymore as D/P, S/D direct damage builds.

Those are pretty much the condi builds that are popular for all the professions right now. The only ones I would want in a Zerg battle is necro with epidemic and engi nade spam. All the rest are more effective in Zergs running their direct damage setup.

Next people will complain about Spirit rangers in WvW cause people complain about them in sPvP.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Common misconceptions

in WvW

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

While you are 100% correct, it’s also very likely that the lore bit came after designing GvG. And even if it’s not, it’s still the name of the game. You can’t expect people to know that before they look at the box (or digital equivalent). It was ancient history in GW1, it’s even ancient-er now. It’s completely understandable that when someone picks up a copy of a game called Guild Wars, that they’d expect to see some guilds warring, and that’s not an unreasonable belief.

That being said, guilds DO war in this game, both in by-the-book WvW and the less official GvGs. THAT being said, I do wish there was a more official GvG format as well.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.