"Dead" Servers

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: kingbread.6174

kingbread.6174

So how many servers are considered “dead”, as in consistently out-manned on all maps/
Just curious.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Truearrow.3527

Truearrow.3527

Look at the rankings at the bottom of the page http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/
basically every server below Fort Aspenwood has serious coverage gaps at one time of day or other. Even FA can have weak coverage at times.

Embrace the Evil [TIE][PYRO] Maguuma

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Dano.5298

Dano.5298

To Truearrow’s point as well, ET easily competes with servers well above their ranking during NA prime time. The reason for ET’s low ranking and rating are mainly due to very low numbers (nearing on noone) for just a couple hours per day.

ET is far from dead.

Ev
[SQD]

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: ErlendR.6107

ErlendR.6107

To Truearrow’s point as well, ET easily competes with servers well above their ranking during NA prime time. The reason for ET’s low ranking and rating are mainly due to very low numbers (nearing on noone) for just a couple hours per day.

ET is far from dead.

Yes FC and ET r not dead.
But the gaps r big, not just a couple of hours.
And max 30 players weekends, normaly 15, and too many 10- runs ><

And the skill … well … I miss the old times

JOIN FC & ET TODAY!!!

Proud ex-Kaineng T8 best server ever vs DR & FC
FC
Retired

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Mag is still kicking but FA and SoS are putting the screws to us this week and probably next so not sure how many players will stay through that. If we can drop down a tier, we might see some life return to the maps.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

ET is far from dead.

It’s not about lack of numbers. It’s about lack of organisation.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: ErlendR.6107

ErlendR.6107

Fail troll

Proud ex-Kaineng T8 best server ever vs DR & FC
FC
Retired

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Brutal Augus.5917

Brutal Augus.5917

Fail troll

[varX] Limitless Potential

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Reverence.6915

Fail troll

When you have 20-25 on the map and 0 people in teamspeak and no commander tag? Yeah that’s called lack of organisation

Beastgate | Faerie Law

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Fail troll

When you have 20-25 on the map and 0 people in teamspeak and no commander tag? Yeah that’s called lack of organisation

That’s just as bad as having 20 on tag but 50 on ts on a queued map with no other forces… like a certain server I know….. >.>

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Fail troll

I’m trying and failing to see where the guy from ET mentioned no commander tag and no-one in TS? Is it in another thread?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Rimmy.9217

Rimmy.9217

Fail troll

Some servers can just get things done without having to be in teamspeak, and if anybody ever signs into a map and doesn’t know what to do without seeing a commander tag, that’s a sign of a bad server right there.

Trollnado Ele – Ehmry Bay

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Reverence.6915

Fail troll

Some servers can just get things done without having to be in teamspeak, and if anybody ever signs into a map and doesn’t know what to do without seeing a commander tag, that’s a sign of a bad server right there.

Having no commander tag means people new to WvW in your server will not know what to do. Having 0 people in teamspeak diminishes the sense of community. Having no focus on a map means you won’t be able to attack or defend efficiently, further demoralising new players. All this fuels the ‘ded server’ name

Beastgate | Faerie Law

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

Fail troll

Having no commander tag means people new to WvW in your server will not know what to do. Having 0 people in teamspeak diminishes the sense of community. Having no focus on a map means you won’t be able to attack or defend efficiently, further demoralising new players. All this fuels the ‘ded server’ name

Yea. SoR had all those things. Near universal teamspeak usage with lots of laughing and karaoke. Pugmanders round the clock. Lots of scouts and inter-map communication. Now look what happened.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Speaking as someone who has played on T8-T1 (NA), the problem is about 30% numbers 70% organization with lower tiers.

And the 30% numbers is mainly due to the few servers down there that have OCX/Sea coverage that allows them to be blasted during much of the day but still win (or come close to it) due to most servers down there having nothing during OCX/Sea.

Mag Server Leader

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Rimmy.9217

From all the “merge servers now!” threads that are constantly being created, it doesn’t sound like many servers are exactly being flooded with new players. But since my server is experiencing a surge in new players (literally new) in WvW, I’ll tell you how we manage it: when one of us sees someone who is obviously new, assuming they aren’t asking questions in map chat, we party with them and show them the ropes. That’s all.

We answer their questions, we give them tips, we give them the address to the server’s website and teamspeak, and tell them to add us to their friends list if they’d like, and to feel free and unabashed to ask questions in map chat any time they’d like.

While it’s nice that your particular community apparently revolves around teamspeak, mine never has. Sure, it exists and sure, people use it. But it isn’t the focus we’ve used in the past, and it’s even less of a focus now. We’re built in a different way – please don’t assume that your way is the only/best way.

And if you can’t attack/defend efficiently without a commander tag on the map, then your community has bred a lot of fairly unimpressive individuals. Sure, we use tags ourselves, but not always. We’d rather everybody be able to work out (edited because the word I wanted to use here contained an ‘a’ followed by ‘ssess’) what needs to be done and then make it happen in massive parallel, rather than needing to see what all of the other drones are doing.

Increasing an individual’s tactical awareness means that they can play when they don’t have sound, like on a borrowed machine, and means that they are a more flexible player. Servers that need a tag so that people can flock to it get called blobby – heard that one before about higher tier servers? It’s not flattering, and it denotes a lack of skilled individuals.

Whether your own server is actually like that or not, you see how your own perceptions colour how you see differences. Stop telling me how my community works and what it needs. I know these things much better that you do. So do the rest of the denizens of bronze, and your vacations where you slum it don’t give you any more insight than someone spending a month in Oklahoma knows what it’s like to be a lifelong farmer.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Fail troll

Even in ET i find it hard to see a 20-25man group without anyone on teamspeak. Will we get everyone on it? No we won’t. But even on Blackgate, not everyone is on TS…

The difference is: Blackgate have more people, thus you’re likely to see more people on TS. Also, Blackgate have more organized guilds and guild groups are more likely to be on TS than pugs.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

Yes FC and ET r not dead.
But the gaps r big, not just a couple of hours.
And max 30 players weekends, normaly 15, and too many 10- runs ><

Long hours with almost no one on the map and a mere 30 players on the weekends exemplifies the meaning of “dead”, imo. I recently transferred off of Mag and it was so empty that it was unplayable for me. WvW in the lower tiers sure seems like a completely different game…

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

Mag ded

GvG ded

Game ded

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Dano.5298

Well in ET’s case, we have anywhere from 25-50 on teamspeak during NA prime time and to be honest, at least nowadays organization isn’t the problem. Its definitely numbers and more so coverage. We don’t have the super most best organization guilds but we do okay.

Organization is not the issue on ET. I know because I play there.

And for the whole deal about new players, I always tag up if I am commanding. I don’t always like it but I do it for the new players. My guild has also done a lot of new player recruiting and strategy/training sessions to try to help our server as much as possible as well.

Ev
[SQD]

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Mag is still kicking but FA and SoS are putting the screws to us this week and probably next so not sure how many players will stay through that. If we can drop down a tier, we might see some life return to the maps.

I’m just impressed if you are on mag and aren’t looking to bandwagon another server.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

ET is far from dead.

WvW is all about coverage and numbers of player on field if fighting with a huge gap in just a few minutes is only what it takes to loose and entire BL.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Reverence.6915

ET is far from dead.

WvW is all about coverage and numbers of player on field if fighting with a huge gap in just a few minutes is only what it takes to loose and entire BL.

With the correct organisation, if all you’re after is PPT, smart backcapping can easily maintain your PPT. With fights, at the bottom tiers, there’s no decent fight guilds at all, so if you get your peeps into teamspeak, you can easily wreck zergs 3x your size provided they aren’t hugging siege.

Beastgate | Faerie Law

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

ET is far from dead.

With the correct organisation, if all you’re after is PPT, smart backcapping can easily maintain your PPT. With fights, at the bottom tiers, there’s no decent fight guilds at all, so if you get your peeps into teamspeak, you can easily wreck zergs 3x your size provided they aren’t hugging siege.

hugging siege is the problem, even sometimes could be countered with a few siege drop spike wich now with the trick to disable siege is like a backstab on the smaller server while facing a server that full stacts to take one tower.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

I’m just impressed if you are on mag and aren’t looking to bandwagon another server.

Don’t be too impressed. Our small guild wants to stay in T2 so a transfer at this point is likely. It won’t be to SoS though so I guess it isn’t really bandwagoning as much as abandoning.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Maiden England.3491

Maiden England.3491

Mag ded

GvG ded

Game ded

straight up

Street Regulator

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Don’t be too impressed. Our small guild wants to stay in T2 so a transfer at this point is likely. It won’t be to SoS though so I guess it isn’t really bandwagoning as much as abandoning.

Why? T2 is a busted tier. No one can compete with SoS and even if Mag drops, there isn’t another server that can compete with SoS or FA. If you don’t want Mag, it’s better to either go to T1 or T3/T4.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

Speaking as someone who has played on T8-T1 (NA), the problem is about 30% numbers 70% organization with lower tiers.

And the 30% numbers is mainly due to the few servers down there that have OCX/Sea coverage that allows them to be blasted during much of the day but still win (or come close to it) due to most servers down there having nothing during OCX/Sea.

Speaking as someone who has played on T8-T1 you are delusional if you think it’s 30% numbers, or you have only played during NA prime time.

In T7 & T8 you are lucky to find 5 players in WvW during OCX / SEA on certain servers.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

This is all relative to a personal definition of “dead” in the context, and that is relative to the player’s goals and past experiences in-game.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Dano.5298

ET is far from dead.

uhh yeah. duh.

Ev
[SQD]

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: sscripko.5387

sscripko.5387

As someone who has played from T1 – T8, the game is not “ded” down at the bottom, it’s just a different game. It required much higher coordination in the lower tiers than it does in the high ones, you may have 2 25-30 forces on all 4 maps on a weeknight, with possibly 2-3 scouts/roamers on the maps without the main force. I think we have a higher percentage of players on TS now than when we were T1 (SoR here) when the matches are close. Most hours of the day we have a tag up in EB, and generally a 2nd tag that is moving bl to bl, keeping pressure elsewhere.

I’m having much more fun down here than I ever did when we were T1, it seems like everyone takes it just a little bit less seriously, and I think it shows. We still have 20-30 minutes fights over a waypointed structure, but no one explodes when we lose one, it’s just a game in the end, and you can build the waypoint all over again.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

You should rally Mag if it drops down into T3-T4 it should do ok. Since YB is threatening to take your spot it really shouldn’t be too bad. Of course, save your money anyhow in case it looks like you won’t drop enough to get out of T2 before the Season.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

You can’t really maintain PPT with two or fewer players on a map when the enemy is operating multiple teams taking things. They can take and hold stuff faster than you can back-cap it and it doesn’t take much (a defender or two or a some random enemy roamers interfering) to stop the 2 people on the map from retaking a tower or keep.

When ET has reasonable numbers playing, we can and do wreck zergs and I’ve seen quite a few zergs driven out of the lord’s room of keeps and towers by several of our commanders arriving from another map just in time. We can and do take Stonemist Castle and defended enemy towers and keeps. All of that is far better than it was when I first started playing WvW on ET, when we were lucky to take a single tower for a few moments on the Eternal Battleground and it looked like I’d never get map completion in WvW.

Under a certain number of players, though, and you won’t find a tag or, if you do, there will be only a few people following it. TeamSpeak becomes empty because there simply aren’t that many people on. Even then, organization isn’t always lacking. I’ve coordinated defenses and even recaptures in map chat without a tag (I finally bought one because of the changes — haven’t used it yet). There are a few organizational things I’d like to see improved on ET and there are things we could do better, but we do pretty well when we have the numbers to properly support a commander.

As for the dedicated fighting guilds, it’s been my experience that most of the bigger ones want to fight other big guilds, which they don’t reliably find in the bottom tiers, and most of the smaller ones are perpetually unhappy and wind up repeatedly switching servers looking for an ideal that they’re unlikely to find (balanced small-group open-field battles). I honestly think we’re better served by players being loyal to the server than a guild and the larger WvW guilds that ET currently has are long-term players very unlikely to take their guild and leave. Not saying I wouldn’t welcome a guild transfer but there is a lot of skepticism on ET about new players and guilds from the top tiers because we’ve seen more than a few show up and leave with people from ET.

One of the biggest problems is the whole megaserver implementation. It’s made it almost impossible to recruit in game in PvE because there is no way to direct map chat messages to only ET people.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Happyangrycatfish.1725

Happyangrycatfish.1725

ET rarely gets big groups going when it does. Mostly 10-15 groups on reset night we always compete that seems pretty much it. We do good when we have groups though. We just need some more people on at off times.

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

ET rarely gets big groups going when it does. Mostly 10-15 groups on reset night we always compete that seems pretty much it. We do good when we have groups though. We just need some more people on at off times.

We had a group larger than that last night and I counted over 20 in the TeamSpeak channel for the commander. Yes, we lost quite a bit of real estate (points) through the night once FC showed up in numbers, especially when we were being tag-teamed by an SoR group holding our Bay with siege and an FC group taking Hills and trying for Garrison with golems on the other side, but we had some great saves (defeating an enemy in the lord’s room) and great fights in the 20-30 vs 20-30 range. Not PvDoor or capping empty camps. Not a couple vs. a few. Not greatly mismatched numbers and fights that are over in seconds. Not just for a few fleeting minutes but several fights all over the map (Hills, Bay, Garrison, Lake tower, etc.) and prolonged battles for the lord’s room. Good stuff.

I know I’m talking about NA primetime and that there are plenty of times during the day where that’s not true, and I can find them frustrating too, but we get good participation on more than just reset nights and we’ll have to see how things go once the summer is over.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

(edited by Berk.8561)

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

In T7 & T8 you are lucky to find 5 players in WvW during OCX / SEA on certain servers.

And the 30% numbers is mainly due to the few servers down there that have OCX/Sea coverage

that allows them to be blasted during much of the day but still win (or come close to it)

due to most servers down there having nothing during OCX/Sea.

http://i.imgur.com/IW8simF.gif

Mag Server Leader

(edited by King Amadaeus.8619)

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

WvW is all about FUN

Here ya go, easy fix..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Y’all always bring out a ton of people on reset night but it seems like you have a bunch of fairweather players, if you aren’t in first with a solid lead all of your fairweathers go back to pve.

We have the same problem on AR except our fairweather pve players play for the karma train leading up to reset and then leave.

None of that makes our servers dead though, if anything it makes off hours that much more fun because I’ve had some fantastic roaming fights against you guys. Most of the other servers run away, hide behind walls and siege, and will only fight (and usually die) when the have numbers on us.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

"Dead" Servers

in WvW

Rimmy.9217

^^ I always like playing against AR and ET, personally.