Edge of The Mists

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Is it me or is the whole point of Edge of The Mists being completely blown out of proportion? Currently It’s to level up alts, which I see nothing wrong with, but the fact that people don’t care about the competitive aspect of it or how it can benefit their server with more supply and small buffs but instead would rather “Karma Farm” because the old way of farming it was nerfed.

I personally would rather see it for what it was intended for and not get chewed out for trying to defend a base and not being called “toxic”. The entire point of it was to be an overflow map for those still wanting to aid their servers.

This is turning more and more into the old Temple of Lyssa farm where you had to destroy the walls in order to progress, but instead of wanting to open the bloody temple, people fussed about the walls being torn down or lose their infinite mob Heavy Moldy Bag farm. Also seems to be a combination of that and champ training in queensdale…completely misleading to the new trial players and players that just bought the game. It’s ruining the map and the community. I want great battles and to defend darnit!…with ALLIES AIDING ME TO DO SO INSTEAD OF FUSSING ABOUT ME DOING IT AND RECOMMENDING I KARMA FARM INSTEAD!

imadbro

(edited by Lithril Ashwalker.6230)

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: XApocalypse.8739

XApocalypse.8739

That is the whole point of it! So you can have somewhere to go and have fun and kitten around. It’s not supposed to be competitive if it was you would see far less people there, and then you would come here to the forums and make a post on why you are upset because no one goes to Eotm.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Elsdragon.5109

Elsdragon.5109

That is the whole point of it! So you can have somewhere to go and have fun and kitten around. It’s not supposed to be competitive if it was you would see far less people there, and then you would come here to the forums and make a post on why you are upset because no one goes to Eotm.

I believe the point of EotM (or why it was made) was as an overflow map for those who couldn’t enter WvW. It was not intended to be a place to farm stuff or have a Karma train; on that note, I don’t think ANY place was designed to be that way. The fact that people are angry at someone for doing what was intended to be done is a clear indication of how perverted the purpose of an aspect of a game is, in my opinion.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

I believe the point of EotM (or why it was made) was as an overflow map for those who couldn’t enter WvW. It was not intended to be a place to farm stuff or have a Karma train; on that note, I don’t think ANY place was designed to be that way. The fact that people are angry at someone for doing what was intended to be done is a clear indication of how perverted the purpose of an aspect of a game is, in my opinion.

i agree, input from the wvw/pvp team would be appreciated

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

At this point, the problem Anet has is that “fixing” it to be what was originally intended will certainly summon a Feces Typhoon of epic proportions…. NPE and SAB will seem like sneezes compared to it.

Can’t it just be fun?

Sure….for about 30 minutes….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

Can’t it just be fun?

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

I like the fact that it sucks away some farmers from the PvE open world, makes the crowds a bit more bearable. Hope they won’t nerf it, causing all those train lovers to invade normal events again…

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

Defending in EoTM is fun even solo, except Red Keep that is a pain to try and get any bags or satisfaction from hehe

there are a few regular commanders that love to do both, Karma train AND defend or go hunting other zergs.

just ignore the cry babies that can’t stand people playing their game their way.

make some sup ac’s find a spot that has lotsa zerg traffic and enjoy the loots.

when you do find a commander that likes to mix things up, just friend them and stalk them when they are in EoTM.

Sincerly, Me.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

EotM = amazing content with super bad implementation.

Result : the amazing content experienced is ruined by people exploiting the map just for selfish levelling up needs instead of helping their team in WvW, which is a group effort.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: warduke.1780

warduke.1780

The problem with EOTM is that a certain group of players set up a guild in order to attempt to force the karma train on the whole map. They do this by attempting to control all three sides of the map and harassing, abusing or mass-reporting players who have chosen to defend rather than join the karma train.

Here’s some more info about the whole issue: http://redd.it/2b5uib

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Eh, I don’t like the EOTM karma farm, but it’s the lesser of the two evils. At least it keeps the karma farm out of WvW, and toxic champ trains away from new players.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Eh, I don’t like the EOTM karma farm, but it’s the lesser of the two evils. At least it keeps the karma farm out of WvW, and toxic champ trains away from new players.

Exactly.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

EotM = amazing content with super bad implementation.

Result : the amazing content experienced is ruined by people exploiting the map just for selfish levelling up needs instead of helping their team in WvW, which is a group effort.

Don’t blame the players, blame the people who designed it, seriously.

It’s no mystery that players want loot, XP and coin; and they certainly will find a means to get those things.

Simply put, if you design a Maze for Rats:

1. Do you place the reward and the end of the Maze?

2. Do you place a reward after every turn in the Maze?

Guess which one would encourage the Rats to stay lost in the Maze?

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Ah yes, now that QD train is gone, Blix is gone, Coil is gone, and all other farms gone, we need something new to nerf into the ground. Good on ya. Destroy the hell out of EotM. You should team up with the guy trying to get all champ boxes nixed.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Kuldebar.1897

Ah yes, now that QD train is gone, Blix is gone, Coil is gone, and all other farms gone, we need something new to nerf into the ground. Good on ya. Destroy the hell out of EotM. You should team up with the guy trying to get all champ boxes nixed.

Blame the design, the pattern keeps repeating itself over and over because the same design flaws are repeated.

I’m running EotM on my Engineer like Gang Busters. I’ve blasted through over 30 levels and I’m going to keep at it until level 80.

I am doing this so I can finally start building my character in the way I used to do: meaning, where once I did this as I leveled prior to the April Trait Changes.

At level 80, I will be left with buying or seeking out my Traits; but I will be doing so in full Exotics, etc. This will make map clearing far more enjoyable than it is trying to run with minimum Traits and sub-80.

(edited by Kuldebar.1897)

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

I don’t care about the karma, exp or loot-train going on i EoTM. What infuriates me is that amount of Wxp they earn while doing it. It’s way more than you get from regular (real) wvw. While the blood dries on your weapon, and you proudly look upon dozens of dead enemies that tried to take your keep in a fierce and tiresome battle, some random upleveled bearbow earned more WvW-experience than you while picking flowers in EoTM.

I no longer know if the gold-invader in front of me is a really experienced player that i should be wary of, or if he comes from EoTM and has yet to realize that his keyboard has more buttons than “1”.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Arikyali.5804

I don’t care about the karma, exp or loot-train going on i EoTM. What infuriates me is that amount of Wxp they earn while doing it. It’s way more than you get from regular (real) wvw. While the blood dries on your weapon, and you proudly look upon dozens of dead enemies that tried to take your keep in a fierce and tiresome battle, some random upleveled bearbow earned more WvW-experience than you while picking flowers in EoTM.

I no longer know if the gold-invader in front of me is a really experienced player that i should be wary of, or if he comes from EoTM and has yet to realize that his keyboard has more buttons than “1”.

Yes, this is so very true. World experience doesn’t mean anything. My general rule: Bronze and lower are skilled in WvW. Silver is meh, gold and up are free loot bags. The ranks go backwards.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It’s ruining the map and the community.

I think what you meant is, “It’s not what I want it to be.”

I have leveled numerous characters a LOT in EotM and I rarely see conflict in terms of goals. Most of the time people get along famously and enjoy themselves.

Maybe it’s just my server, but the toxicity is so little as to be almost nonexistent from where I’m standing.

Or words to that effect.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Kuldebar.1897

I have leveled numerous characters a LOT in EotM

It is what is is, certainly, but it absolutely must be something of a particular nature or quality. After all, you yourself chose to level “numerous characters” via EotM; why was that?

Is there something that EotM offers you that good old regular WvW Maps don’t?

Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love To Town…

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Labjax.2465

I have leveled numerous characters a LOT in EotM

It is what is is, certainly, but it absolutely must be something of a particular nature or quality. After all, you yourself chose to level “numerous characters” via EotM; why was that?

Is there something that EotM offers you that good old regular WvW Maps don’t?

Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love To Town…

I aint denying that’s the preferred way to use EotM (that and karma). Or that those ways may not have been originally envisioned.

But it seems straight up dishonest for people to act like it’s some kind of community-wide issue.

Opinion and discussion I take no issue with. Alarmist lobbying I do.

Or words to that effect.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Kuldebar.1897

But it seems straight up dishonest for people to act like it’s some kind of community-wide issue.

You are very reasonable, that’s pretty clear; but surely you can see how EotM has impacted the WvW experience as a whole? Granted, to a large degree, WvW Players have their own community within the game, some avoid PvE as much as possible.

I wanted GW2 to be my DAoC 2 and RvR to be my end-game…yeah, I got horribly disabused of that notion within two months of launch…but my expectations (dreams, desires?) were shared with many other players as well concerning WvW’s place in the game. And they are still hanging onto GW2 waiting for ANet to spend some CPU cycles on that facet of the game.

(I usually dabble in everything but dungeons, myself)

The regular WvW Maps are massive zones with a lot of open spaces and relatively lengthy time periods in between rewards…EotM pretty much turned that on its head.

(edited by Kuldebar.1897)

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Arikyali.5804

I can never see EOTM as legit WvW. It’s sad to see a great WvW-potential map be molded into k-train farmfest, but again – lesser of the two evils. People can farm EOTM to their heart’s content without crippling the goals of PvE or WvW.

The few times I ventured into EOTM was fun, but not something I want to go back to on a regular basis. Before you can change EOTM to reflect WvW goals, there needs to be a new spot for k-trains to go to. (But I’m pretty sure Anet wants to avoid a farm map as much as possible.)

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Labjax.2465

but surely you can see how EotM has impacted the WvW experience as a whole?

Honestly? I’m straight up ignorant in that aspect. I just haven’t been around long enough to see it one way or another. I also play on a lower-end-pop server and have never seriously stepped in WvW, outside of doing map completion stuff.

And if I’m being totally honest, I don’t want to lose the fun that I get out of doing EotM.

That said, if WvW needs some improvements, I’m 100% for it. I can’t say much though because I don’t know what to recommend.

Or words to that effect.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

I defend in EotM all the time, its hugely amusing to wipe a large group of sheep because they don’t pay attention to red circles. I also go with the zerg sometimes, although the pansy commanders that run from fights all the time and then have no idea how to fight when they are forced to annoy me.
I have a few commanders on my friends list that are amazing in there, particularly School Buss. They know how to do it all, kill zergs and cap stuff as often as possible.

Just so you know, while the map has indeed been invaded by ktrainers who will claim all day EotM is PvE (hint, its not cause someone just killed you), there are guilds that come in there and use it how Anet intended, they hunt zergs looking for fights. When they do that the crying is epic from the guys on lvl 50 characters wearing lvl20 gear.

What kills me is the ignorance most of these people have about the map. I can never get people to get the Koda Hammer transform when I solo it up, despite it being THE MOST OP TRANSFORM IN THE GAME. Most of them don’t know you can get airstrike grenades or where sentry turrets come from.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

EOTM is fine as it is.

This game’s WvW community was becoming too bitter before the introduction of EOTM, and ever since it was introduced I have noticed a “cooling off” as they no longer have to deal with compounding frustrations like queues.

Its a fun little side map, obviously meant to be fun. Its supposed to introduce you to PvP in a way that doesn’t result in you losing a tournament, for example.

No holds barred, is the entire point.

The only problem is you get too many badges and too much WXP.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Arikyali.5804

I defend in EotM all the time, its hugely amusing to wipe a large group of sheep because they don’t pay attention to red circles. I also go with the zerg sometimes, although the pansy commanders that run from fights all the time and then have no idea how to fight when they are forced to annoy me.
I have a few commanders on my friends list that are amazing in there, particularly School Buss. They know how to do it all, kill zergs and cap stuff as often as possible.

Just so you know, while the map has indeed been invaded by ktrainers who will claim all day EotM is PvE (hint, its not cause someone just killed you), there are guilds that come in there and use it how Anet intended, they hunt zergs looking for fights. When they do that the crying is epic from the guys on lvl 50 characters wearing lvl20 gear.

What kills me is the ignorance most of these people have about the map. I can never get people to get the Koda Hammer transform when I solo it up, despite it being THE MOST OP TRANSFORM IN THE GAME. Most of them don’t know you can get airstrike grenades or where sentry turrets come from.

I should roam EOTM more often…

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Deifact.3095

Deifact.3095

Blame the design, the pattern keeps repeating itself over and over because the same design flaws are repeated.

I’m running EotM on my Engineer like Gang Busters. I’ve blasted through over 30 levels and I’m going to keep at it until level 80.

I am doing this so I can finally start building my character in the way I used to do: meaning, where once I did this as I leveled prior to the April Trait Changes.

At level 80, I will be left with buying or seeking out my Traits; but I will be doing so in full Exotics, etc. This will make map clearing far more enjoyable than it is trying to run with minimum Traits and sub-80.

This. And with the NPE changes, levelling a new character is insufferable in PvE. ArenaNet have made the levelling experience so painful that the only way to enjoy the game is to rush to 80 ASAP, which is easiest done in EotM.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Kuldebar.1897

In ANet’s world, EotM has nothing to do with PvE…hence it being moved to the WvW section.

I boldly maintain that there are plenty of players who partake in EotM that don’t have the slightest interest in WvW or PvP of any kind. Curious.

Not that there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s just the way the game is designed…and why would we ever want to presume to question such design decisions?

Being old fashioned, I just always felt that a nominally PvP centered aspect in a game should involve actual PvP as a means of progression.

If EotM is so grand, which it obviously is, why do we even have the other Maps at all.

Ounce for ounce, EotM gives you, the player, moar!

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Kuldebar.1897

EOTM is fine as it is…

The only problem is you get too many badges and too much WXP.

So, was the play fine and dandy, or not, Mrs. Lincoln?

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

EotM needs reward track, EotM titles and more achs.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

ETOM is a honey trap for PvE players…keeps most of them out of WvW.

As far as I can see…it’s working as intended!

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

Personally, I wonder why ANet doesn’t create a map with WvW structures and siege weapons but with only NPC defenders and no human opponents. A lot of players seem to crave this sort of play and such a map would give it to them.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Berk.8561

Berk.8561

Personally, I wonder why ANet doesn’t create a map with WvW structures and siege weapons but with only NPC defenders and no human opponents. A lot of players seem to crave this sort of play and such a map would give it to them.

Kerzic [CoI] – Ranger – Eredon Terrace

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

EotM is good but the implementation is wrong. it should be made available only if all the WvW for your servers are queued, not a place that can be access from anytime. that way the outnumbered servers can always have their people on WvW.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: Kolzi.5928

Kolzi.5928

You are very reasonable, that’s pretty clear; but surely you can see how EotM has impacted the WvW experience as a whole? Granted, to a large degree, WvW Players have their own community within the game, some avoid PvE as much as possible.

Seems to me like it has impacted by moving the people wvw community isnt interested in having around out of the main wvw maps. There’s a reason that all eotm does is give you a supply drop if you win it. It’s just supposed to be a place to mess around in while waiting to get into regular wvw maps and have some fun.

Edge of The Mists

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

GG, EotM is probably the most popular part of the game. Leave it the kitten alone, it’s working! I swear sometimes I think players are their own worst enemy.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.