Edge of the Mists (Test) Objectives Preview

in WvW

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Hey guys, I managed to run around for a while and get some footage of the various objectives and areas you will likely see (in some form or iteration) and take a small tour of the zone.

I will be more than likely adding these videos daily, and will be starting with one of the main keeps (the one I was provided with) which is the Arctic Keep (Green, south-east)

Bear with my boring commentary :P

Green Keep / Arctic Keep / Kodan Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT8i7aYo0bc

Red Keep / Jungle Keep / Troll Theme

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

Adding Red Keep (Jungle Keep) to the list

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

Adding Blue Keep (Desert Keep)

in WvW

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

While the map looks good, alot better than the dull and boring EB and home maps of the 3 servers, i just dont know what the point in it is, what the whole idea from Anet is for this map.

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

It is a grey area. I think they originally wanted to create this as a “waiting room” for when high population servers have map ques.

This map will react the same way as a PvE map, it will fill up, and then create overflows as it gains players.

But the balance needs major tweaking currently, as it does not support low population in the map itself (which I would assume be the case for players simply waiting to enter WvW)

It provides no points towards your server score, and acts closer to a strange bridge between all 3 game-modes (spvp, WvW, PvE)

It has potential to be a good PvP area, but right now it is littered with PvE mobs with high health pools which would make low populations an absolute nightmare to play the map with.

in WvW

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I kinda think, that the map should have been bigger and what EB should have been, with tweaks of course. This is the sort of map that should have been implemented from the start

The other maps are dull and very boring visually.

in WvW

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

It has potential to be a good PvP area, but right now it is littered with PvE mobs with high health pools which would make low populations an absolute nightmare to play the map with.

Yay! More pve mobs in wvw/pvp maps! Arenanet really understand pvp players!

in WvW

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

What in the actual kitten is that steaming pile of dog kitten?

Who thought this was a good idea?

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

Adding the southern tower (1 of 3 towers)

http://youtu.be/CaLM92wfzdY

in WvW

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Looks kitten. I’m excited to play on it.

in WvW

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

Uh, could someone just siege up that narrow bridge and continuously knockback enemy forces? Since falling off is instant death, and it looks like there are a bazillion choke points and ledges, it seems like there are too many ways to annihilate zergs before they even get near the keep, so I’m wondering how these things are even takeable… and then you say there’s also a debuff on enemy players? What? It looks like the map actively discourages any sort of actual PvP – just bring all your knockbacks via siege and abilities and good game, you never have to actually fight anyone. And as if anyone needed yet another reason to bring more guardians and warriors – bring characters with lots of stability or gtfo it seems.

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

This will be a complete fiasco. It will be as deserted as Southsun Cove after 2 months except during 2 hours of weekly reset.
Believe it or not, ANet, but core WvWers, be they roamers or zergers, DO care about points and defending/upgrading/holding keeps, something that gets utterly lost on EotM.
It’s completely unusable for roaming as well because player density will likely be even worse than on a random borderland, since you can never sure whether you’ll land on some barely-filled overflow, or even one that was only created because your and your server only got enough players to create one. Do they honestly think people would then gladly kill mindless PvE mobs that litter the map?

in WvW

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

How long are the rounds in EotM? Will you be rewarded if your server wins a round?

The hard core of WvW will stay on the traditional maps. But what will do the rest? If you can progress faster on EotM the old maps will empty soon.

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

This will be a complete fiasco. It will be as deserted as Southsun Cove after 2 months except during 2 hours of weekly reset.
Believe it or not, ANet, but core WvWers, be they roamers or zergers, DO care about points and defending/upgrading/holding keeps, something that gets utterly lost on EotM.
It’s completely unusable for roaming as well because player density will likely be even worse than on a random borderland, since you can never sure whether you’ll land on some barely-filled overflow, or even one that was only created because your and your server only got enough players to create one. Do they honestly think people would then gladly kill mindless PvE mobs that litter the map?

sigh, they just don’t get it. this is a fiasco and waste of time and resources that does not address population issues or other core problems such as abysmal profession designs. they would have been better off making strong investments and updates to the current maps we have. additionally, if one of the other intentions was to encourage pvers to try pvp, then this larger scale skyhammerish map will have the opposite effect.

I’m fully assuming that we will have an “after the fact” cdi thread on this and see map changes in 2015. I’m also assuming that the changes will be to make the bridges non destructible and raising of the pve mobs hp.

unimpressed by the development team yet again.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

What i wonder is why they don’t add this map to the regular scoring wvw for variety. Why not alternate EotM and Borderlands every week for example? One week Borderlands (3 copies) are scoring, EotM is the non-scoring overflow, the next EotM (3 copies) is the regular scoring map and Borderlands become the non-scoring overflow.

And once a mechanic like that is implemented, that opens the door for wacky stuff like rotating the regular PvE maps as wvw non-scoring overflow. Fighting in LA, Lornar’s Pass or Bloodtide Coast would be great fun.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

(edited by cafard.8953)

in WvW

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Adding the southern tower (1 of 3 towers)

http://youtu.be/CaLM92wfzdY

it does look exciting, can’t wait.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Only way to make this popular is share these overflows between every server or all people who wanna play there need to move in same tier so there is enough players in maps. I don’t really have any motivation play PPT kitten so this map is kind of www last chance for me.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Covis.6037

Covis.6037

There is absolutely NOTHING to do apart from running good ol’ karma train (and that wont probably be even that good compared to other maps or PvE.). This map needs somekind of meaning before its gonna come out, if u have played it u have probably felt “what to do” in there. I cant see myself roaming in this map just because all the PvE and jumping around. I really do hope anet fixes this before its live. But it looks pretty i have to give that.

TL;DR : in short, at its current state its not gonna be fun for long.

(edited by Covis.6037)

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Only way to make this popular is share these overflows between every server or all people who wanna play there need to move in same tier so there is enough players in maps. I don’t really have any motivation play PPT kitten so this map is kind of www last chance for me.

It is unfathomable to me that ANet is not making EOTM instances available to all servers at the same time. It would be the simplest way to demonstrate whether or not players would prefer Red/Green/Blue matchups for the other maps instead of the current server-based system, and in addition restricting it to the current matchup is going to majorly kitten off players on low pop servers who want to try EOTM but cannot.

It’s incredible how the WvW devs keep proving how out of touch they are with their own game.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

(edited by Cactus.2710)

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Instead of taking on the problems the game has in wvw now they have created a map nobody asked for and is only good for the top populated servers.

in WvW

Posted by: meep.2601

meep.2601

i think they need to add more bridges and ledges

in WvW

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Believe it or not, ANet, but core WvWers, be they roamers or zergers, DO care about points

Well…no. Points are meaningless, especially while there is no season running (and even then i couldn’t give a kitten about them).

The main focus of WvW (for roamer) is open world PvP, running around looking for fights, trolling zergs in the central ruins and just having fun while hopefully being outnumbered so armor doesn’t get damaged ^^

in WvW

Swagger.1459

Instead of taking on the problems the game has in wvw now they have created a map nobody asked for and is only good for the top populated servers.

pretty innovative and development dollars well spent huh?

in WvW

Junkpile.7439

Well www biggest problem is PPT so making map without PPT is kind of good start. Now they just need to find a way how all PPT haters could play in these maps and get some good rewards for it.

in WvW

Swagger.1459

i think they need to add more bridges and ledges

I agree, we need more places to hang out, build homes and raise our families!

in WvW

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

Map looks great but there are way to much areas where you can fall off the map during combat.

Knockback into death sounds like no fun to me. Warriors just have to use Rampage for 20s of stability and a knockback on 6s cd. Add Kick, Stomp, Hammer and Balanced Stance for another 3 knockbacks + stability.

Hammer trains will be converted to knockback trains.

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

Adding another tower: Northwest Jungle Tower

As for the falling off thing…ya, there are alot of places to fall, but in action, it is actually rather seldom. The center area of the map is pretty solid, with only a few places that could be a hazard, and you would not normally travel near them….but bridges…bridges everywhere!

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

Adding Arctic Tower (Northeast)

Also noting that the most recent test had the names for these areas changed.

They now all have separate names for each tower and keep. The Arctic Tower is now known as….something Perch (I can’t remember >.>)

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

New map to address the Queue’s due to arrive when there are no queue’s left in any tier.
All the effort gone into an overflow map that has no effect on the outcome of the weekly match and there wont even be an overflow.

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

New map to address the Queue’s due to arrive when there are no queue’s left in any tier.
All the effort gone into an overflow map that has no effect on the outcome of the weekly match and there wont even be an overflow.

You can join EotM whenever you want. It is labeled as an overflow kinda, but it is just another map you can join, like Ob Sanctum.

It has no bearing on server score, because it contains every server (all NA servers are grouped together when joining the map, and so are all EU)

People just love to find things to complain about lol

in WvW

Posted by: Gudradain.3892

Gudradain.3892

These objectives look very interesting to take and defend. I wish they add this as a new map to WvW and simply remove the borderland maps

Can you build siege on top of the towers? I can totally see myself building a trebuchet there to hit the nearby keep.

Afala – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

These objectives look very interesting to take and defend. I wish they add this as a new map to WvW and simply remove the borderland maps

Can you build siege on top of the towers? I can totally see myself building a trebuchet there to hit the nearby keep.

I think it was possible, they may remove the ability to in the future…it would make sense.

Adding the last video I made for Supply / Resource nodes (center area)

in WvW

Posted by: denimdan.8642

denimdan.8642

anet will be fixing a lot of the “falling off” areas by putting rails on a lot of them so you cant just get knock off. They said they want to make it so that choosing your location to fight means something.

Also they guys saying that this map is pointless and they should be putting there resources into other areas. They plan on using this map to largely test future elements for addins and modifications to the current wvw maps. So that they dont just throw in a major change to wvw with out testing it first. Now things will be tested in EotM first before being put in place in WvW

to the ppl saying this will just be 1 big karma train, yea you cant do that you will lose everything due to the sheer size of the map and you have 1 wp, and that’s in your keep. The set up of the towers makes it possible for few ppl to defend against large zergs but due to the way the map is set up small man groups can easily sneak past the enemy and hit them where there not. if you blob all your guys together you will never be able to respond in time to more than 1 of your objectives being hit, this map greatly favors groups of about 10-15(due to the insane re spawn rate of guards), not mega zergs of 80+ the map is just to big for 1 group to cover it all.

also each keep was designed with a role in mind
arid keep was made with the idea of a strong offence capability
arctic keep has the potential to hold off multiple zergs with ease
jungle is a mixture between the two, with both offensive and defensive capabilities

Ranger
Storm Bluff Isle [EVOH]

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

You can join EotM whenever you want. It is labeled as an overflow kinda, but it is just another map you can join, like Ob Sanctum.

It has no bearing on server score, because it contains every server (all NA servers are grouped together when joining the map, and so are all EU)

What’s the use of this map then.

in WvW

Junkpile.7439

What’s the use of this map then.

Real fighting without PPT hero whining in map chat.

in WvW

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

anet will be fixing a lot of the “falling off” areas by putting rails on a lot of them so you cant just get knock off. They said they want to make it so that choosing your location to fight means something.

Also they guys saying that this map is pointless and they should be putting there resources into other areas. They plan on using this map to largely test future elements for addins and modifications to the current wvw maps. So that they dont just throw in a major change to wvw with out testing it first. Now things will be tested in EotM first before being put in place in WvW

to the ppl saying this will just be 1 big karma train, yea you cant do that you will lose everything due to the sheer size of the map and you have 1 wp, and that’s in your keep. The set up of the towers makes it possible for few ppl to defend against large zergs but due to the way the map is set up small man groups can easily sneak past the enemy and hit them where there not. if you blob all your guys together you will never be able to respond in time to more than 1 of your objectives being hit, this map greatly favors groups of about 10-15(due to the insane re spawn rate of guards), not mega zergs of 80+ the map is just to big for 1 group to cover it all.

also each keep was designed with a role in mind
arid keep was made with the idea of a strong offence capability
arctic keep has the potential to hold off multiple zergs with ease
jungle is a mixture between the two, with both offensive and defensive capabilities

It’s sounding a bit more promising, though it still seems like karma train central to me. What’s the incentive for holding your existing keeps/towers/whatever anyway? The map doesn’t contribute to server PPT, and karma trains don’t care about PPT anyway – they just want to cap and recap stuff, so no one’s going to care about losing X tower or Y keep. And if towers are setup so that they can easily fend off multiple zergs, then what’s preventing those towers from defending against smaller groups of 10-15?

in WvW

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

So it is confirmed that this map will just have 3 groups (colors) filled with people from all the servers in EU and the same in NA?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in WvW

Cactus.2710

Post a link or it isn’t true. I swear I saw a post from ANet saying that EOTM is restricted to the current matchup.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Typical anet. Make a map where the main attraction is fighting people, and then make the map a total cramped cluster kitten with deadly ledges all over the place. I mean, I know Skyhammer is the most popular map in spvp and everyone just loves that kind of gameplay, but seriously?

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

PvE mobs everywhere? Why…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in WvW

Cactus.2710

And some people make stuff up just because they can. Here’s the exact quote from the official EOTM FAQ, and I could find nothing since this was posted indicating that anything has changed … certainly not anything that would support your erroneous claim.

Devon Carter:

“Q: How does the overflow work? Is it possible to fight against other servers? Is it combined with EU and NA or just one specific region?
A: The current iteration is that you will only be matched up against the other worlds in your current WvW matchup. That is one of the many aspects of the map that we will be actively getting feedback on from the community and the testers.”

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

It is unfathomable to me that ANet is not making EOTM instances available to all servers at the same time. It would be the simplest way to demonstrate whether or not players would prefer Red/Green/Blue matchups for the other maps instead of the current server-based system, and in addition restricting it to the current matchup is going to majorly kitten off players on low pop servers who want to try EOTM but cannot.

It’s incredible how the WvW devs keep proving how out of touch they are with their own game.

EoTM is a tool to help them release the game in china where they are expecting long ques. The only thing it has to do with the NA release is that we are the free beta testers.

So making it game wide by color probably never crossed their mind. If there is one thing ANET is good at, it is kittening away potential.

(edited by Jaxs.5830)

in WvW

Cactus.2710

EoTM is a tool to help them release the game in china where they are expecting long ques. The only thing it has to do with the NA release is that we are the free beta testers.

So making it game wide by color probably never crossed their mind. If there is one thing ANET is good at, it is kittening away potential.

^This^

Even after all this time, though, I can’t decide whether this massive squandering of potential (I’m speaking primarily about WvW here) is rooted in poor understanding of their own game … or internal conflicts with other priorities and directions for the game as a whole. The persistent fumbling of the ball with respect to WvW simply baffles me. I’ve played since launch and there has clearly been a shift in direction relative to the vision espoused by the original devs, but the devs have changed as well and it’s difficult to tell from the outside which brought about the other.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

ArmageddonAsh.6430

^This^

Even after all this time, though, I can’t decide whether this massive squandering of potential (I’m speaking primarily about WvW here) is rooted in poor understanding of their own game … or internal conflicts with other priorities and directions for the game as a whole. The persistent fumbling of the ball with respect to WvW simply baffles me. I’ve played since launch and there has clearly been a shift in direction relative to the vision espoused by the original devs, but the devs have changed as well and it’s difficult to tell from the outside which brought about the other.

At the top of the list, i would think that it would be the fact they didn’t expect it to be such a big “success” they have all along wanted S/TPvP to be some super new eSport and thats where they expected everyone to be, WvW was more for casual players wanting a little bit of fun while the hardcore players would be in S/TPvP

They seem to have split the team into 2 aspects: PvE and S/TPvP with no thought that WvW would be liked as much as it is, shown by how many issues and everything it has. Sure creating a new map, that means nothing and is needed due to how many people want to play WvW

I personally don’t think they even like WvW and if they had their way, they would remove it but seeing as how many play it that would be VERY bad for them and the game as they would lose A LOT of people.

in WvW

Cactus.2710

I personally don’t think they even like WvW and if they had their way, they would remove it but seeing as how many play it that would be VERY bad for them and the game as they would lose A LOT of people.

Likely true. The curious thing then is that ANet has unwittingly created a template for some other game publisher to do it right. There are many desirable aspects of WvW in GW2 (if there weren’t there wouldn’t be so many of us still here to gripe about the more egregious shortfalls), but the problems stick out like a sore thumb … AND … are correctable. It’s practically like ANet is saying “Here … I released this popular open world PvP subset of my game but I’m really not interested in messing with it any further. Please modify it as you see fit and take away a bunch of my customers.”

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Likely true. The curious thing then is that ANet has unwittingly created a template for some other game publisher to do it right. There are many desirable aspects of WvW in GW2 (if there weren’t there wouldn’t be so many of us still here to gripe about the more egregious shortfalls), but the problems stick out like a sore thumb … AND … are correctable. It’s practically like ANet is saying “Here … I released this popular open world PvP subset of my game but I’m really not interested in messing with it any further. Please modify it as you see fit and take away a bunch of my customers.”

yep, i believe the Elder Scrolls Online with have a WvW mode as well, not sure what it will be called but i from the videos i saw, it looks interesting, just a shame they ripped the combat from the Single player games just dont see it working in an MMO

in WvW

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Map made for some cool roaming. Can’t wait

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in WvW

Cactus.2710

yep, i believe the Elder Scrolls Online with have a WvW mode as well, not sure what it will be called but i from the videos i saw, it looks interesting, just a shame they ripped the combat from the Single player games just dont see it working in an MMO

I think the large scale 3-faction PvP in ESO is called The Alliance War, and they’ve geared it to be capable of really massive battles without lag or fps issues. There are also all sorts of peripheral activities you can contribute if you don’t like the zerg environment, and the player base is not constrained to “servers”. But I’m with you on the combat mechanism … I much prefer the system used in GW2, where movement is controlled by the mouse and abilities by keys. ESO uses right/left mouse buttons to control right/left hand attacks and WASD-type movement, and ranged effects require aiming via cross hairs with transit time delays. I suspect that ESO combat will either play more slowly or migrate toward even more AoE than WvW is plagued with.

I’m also not overly pleased with the trinity-style combat that will be used in ESO, although from what I can tell the ESO implementation of that allows for considerable in-between builds that are less dependent upon other builds than most trinity systems.

In any case, ESO will get the benefit of the doubt for me at launch. Worst case it isn’t likely to disappoint me more than WvW has.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

(edited by Cactus.2710)

in WvW

Zietlogik.6208

And some people make stuff up just because they can. Here’s the exact quote from the official EOTM FAQ, and I could find nothing since this was posted indicating that anything has changed … certainly not anything that would support your erroneous claim.

Devon Carter:

“Q: How does the overflow work? Is it possible to fight against other servers? Is it combined with EU and NA or just one specific region?
A: The current iteration is that you will only be matched up against the other worlds in your current WvW matchup. That is one of the many aspects of the map that we will be actively getting feedback on from the community and the testers.”

This is a direct quote from Devon in response to a “So EOTM will stay cross server after release too?” thread.

“We literally can’t cross EU and NA servers, they are physically located in different places. We are, most likely, going to set it up as a place for all NA and all EU servers to be put in one map, however.”

This was posted 2 days ago. On a forum you probably don’t have access to (because you evidently aren’t a tester…)

again…you guys will find anything to complain about. And I will totally just keep “making things up” as I feel fit.

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

Devon Carter:

This is a direct quote from Devon in response to a “So EOTM will stay cross server after release too?” thread.

“We literally can’t cross EU and NA servers, they are physically located in different places. We are, most likely, going to set it up as a place for all NA and all EU servers to be put in one map, however.”

This was posted 2 days ago. On a forum you probably don’t have access to (because you evidently aren’t a tester…)

again…you guys will find anything to complain about. And I will totally just keep “making things up” as I feel fit.

Mostly likely is not the same as ‘will be’.