Every NA tier is a BLOWOUT.

in WvW

Posted by: Orikx.9671

Orikx.9671

At least for the T2 matchup this week Bloodlust has nothing to do with the blowout. I can’t speak for the other tiers because I am not on them.

The only thing causing the blowout for the T2 matchup is the obvious huge coverage gap differences. DB and FA just don’t have the population to fight us. However for the better part of NA prime last night SoR did not hold all the orbs and many times we did not even have the most.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: renmei.3102

renmei.3102

The answer is that for low population servers, Bloodlust doesn’t mean all that much. Even if you have all 3 buffs, if you don’t have enough people stomping or enemies to stomp it makes more sense to go for objectives instead.

in WvW

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

Who cares? PPT.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in WvW

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

:) I read the dev post it made me laugh. What they do not realize is that for every angry post on the forum there are 10 ppl who doesn’t care enough to express their anger and just moved on to anther game or quit.

Or maybe they realize that forums are place where people who are disenfranchised with the game come here and whine about it?

And that maybe, just maybe, the players who do not post here are either
a.) In game and enjoying it
b.) off playing something else and quit long ago

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Thing is, Vol … not every disenfranchised player hates the game. Many, like myself actively love GW2, but have reservations with the direction certain aspects of the game we enjoy so much are heading. Also, a lot of folk don’t do forums because they honestly get turned off by the worst individuals on said forums. I’m talking the truly rude forum trolls, here … not just any old poster with an honest grievance.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

At least for the T2 matchup this week Bloodlust has nothing to do with the blowout. I can’t speak for the other tiers because I am not on them.

The only thing causing the blowout for the T2 matchup is the obvious huge coverage gap differences. DB and FA just don’t have the population to fight us. However for the better part of NA prime last night SoR did not hold all the orbs and many times we did not even have the most.

IDT anyone is really ascerting that bloodlust is causing lopsided matchups, what they/we are saying is that only buff servers that already had the ability to greatly outnumber other servers.

IE: The only thing worse than a larger server zerging everything in sight, is a larger server doing it with full bloodlust.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Orikx.9671

IDT anyone is really ascerting that bloodlust is causing lopsided matchups, what they/we are saying is that only buff servers that already had the ability to greatly outnumber other servers.

IE: The only thing worse than a larger server zerging everything in sight, is a larger server doing it with full bloodlust.

My post was in response to OP. I’m personally indifferent on Bloodlust ATM but OP implied bloodlust is what is causing all the matchups to be over by Monday.

Except T1. Its Monday and all already every other match is over. Still think buffing the server with more population was a good idea ?

Wvw is on its last leg. Please save it.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I’m finding it bad for another reason… they encouraged small group play with the bloodlust points so much that there is a “zerg” of guild groups and not much for us pick up and play players, except get slaughtered by large guild groups.

I’m not much for doomsaying but I can even see they’ve started on a downward spiral with this.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

My post was in response to OP. I’m personally indifferent on Bloodlust ATM but OP implied bloodlust is what is causing all the matchups to be over by Monday.

Except T1. Its Monday and all already every other match is over. Still think buffing the server with more population was a good idea ?

Wvw is on its last leg. Please save it.

I didn’t take the OP’s post in that manner, sorry for the confusion…I took it to mean that buffing overpowered servers does nothing to improve the gameplay.

I thought they were using the blowout matches to prove that blowouts were already occurring, since blowouts mean coverage, that also translates (theoretically) to having bloodlust much of the time.

Bloodlust isn’t causing these blowouts, it is just making them more ridiculous because if you are already getting your kitten zerged off by “superior numbers”, now you are getting it by “buffed superior numbers”.

Furthermore, many people have left WvW behind all of this, and I can promise you all those servers that are getting blown out have people leaving the match everyday and waiting til next week’s reset.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

I think people are missing part of the point (I am on a T2 server).

Again with what was stated, the bloodlust buff itself doesn’t determine the match, but unless the match is EVEN….more often than not the bloodlust buff will benefit the larger server.

It’s simple really…it happens on DB right now… I capped them the other night with a handful of people while SoR zergs were fighting one of our guilds…..

The problem is….when your outmanned….truthfully we probably can’t and shouldn’t spare the extra 5-6 or so people that are trying to spread out and cap bloodlust, we need those extra people to help with OUR group that is trying to FIGHT their LARGE group….we can’t really spare those people….but the LARGER server…can…

So my point being is that if you’re already in a lopsided match and trying to rally as many people as you can to the pin..and people are spread out trying to take the bloodlust away from the larger server…it hurts you…numbers wise..

likewise…if you let them keep it and you get everyone together, they get to keep the bloodlust buff….so it’s a lose-lose situation overall for the smaller server. This is not the same when the matchups are relatively balanced. If all sides have even numbers then everything is all good….but when they aren’t…more often then not it will benefit the larger server, which unfortunately the way the populations are now…and pretty much almost every tier has some sort of blowout….it makes it worse.

The idea is great if there was a way to make sure all sides had equal numbers or an equal playing field….when they don’t…this mechanic is broken…it’s that simple…

I do like the landscape changes however, plus… at least while we’re getting blown out by SoR it gives me something to do in the middle lol

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: LieutenantDan.5149

LieutenantDan.5149

Sarrs. You say that while sitting on a 1.5 tier server where ONLY 3 out of the other 23 servers available have more people then you. hard to take that seriously.

Try fighting 10-1 odds in your own BL and NO-ONE on other borderlands to call in… THEN say how you dont mind it.

What’s this 1.5 business? TC is T2. Top dog in T2, but still T2. I’ve played since release, and we were in T4/5 when the game launched.

I have fought 10-1 odds in our own BL. We had 50PPT last night. I do mind it; I’ve said in a lot of other places that the variance needs to be brought down, but how do you propose to fix it without causing serious damage elsewhere?

Hi, Dragonbrand here, checking in. I’m going to call bullkitten because you had no problem being top dog last week in the TC/FA/DB matchup. In fact, you actively avoided attacking FA and let the two of you bully us on DB. So don’t complain about washouts if you’re going to facilitate the same behavior.

Dragonbrand – Warsworn [WAR]
Whitney Lionheart (Guardian)

in WvW

Orikx.9671

@ Gamadorn.2659

I’m not for or against the Bloodlust yet. It has it’s pro’s and cons. Biggest problem is WvW is all about population. In a perfect world where all things are equal Bloodlust would add a fun element to WvW.

The argument that it pulls people away from the group to fight the larger group I don’t believe to be true though. WvW has always had small group/solo roamers even before bloodlust. This just gives them a place to focus their efforts and maybe help out more towards the big picture. I don’t know that I buy that the people fighting over bloodlust would be roaming with a zerg if bloodlust capture points were not there. The vast majority would just be roaming around camps looking for other roamers like they did before the buff.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

You want to have a look at the ranking of all of those matchups?

T1 – 1/3/4
T2 – 6/5/2
T3 – 7/12/11
T4 – 14/9/8
T5 – 10/15/17
T6 – 18/19/13
T7 – 20/22/24
T8 – 16/21/23

Seems to me that that explains the why they’re so one sided without even considering the bloodlust buff. Especially since there’s no data here detailing how many PPT each server was earning under the buff, or how often the leading server was holding the majority of the buffs as opposed to the underdog.

I’m not saying the buff isn’t significant. But I’ve also yet to see any definitive evidence of it leading to a snowball effect.

• The actual rankings of the servers, and therefore their populations, still have an effect.
  • People who are upset about bloodlust and aren’t out there at all have an effect.
  • People who are spending their time on Tequatl and not WvW have an effect.
  • People who are taking a break before the Leagues begin have an effect.

There are too many other factors at play here, to say what’s a direct effect of the stat bonus and what isn’t.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Points don’t really matter at least until league rewards are tied to them. Bloodlust which does effect the score most likely only influences it a small percentage.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

@ Gamadorn.2659

I’m not for or against the Bloodlust yet. It has it’s pro’s and cons. Biggest problem is WvW is all about population. In a perfect world where all things are equal Bloodlust would add a fun element to WvW.

The argument that it pulls people away from the group to fight the larger group I don’t believe to be true though. WvW has always had small group/solo roamers even before bloodlust. This just gives them a place to focus their efforts and maybe help out more towards the big picture. I don’t know that I buy that the people fighting over bloodlust would be roaming with a zerg if bloodlust capture points were not there. The vast majority would just be roaming around camps looking for other roamers like they did before the buff.

You make an excellent point, however regarding the roamers: most of us on the lower tiers, (can’t speak for the higher tiers) that roam are dead-against bloodlust.

In fact the only thing it is really good for is to find people actually trying to cap it, to gank them.

What I am saying is that most (not all) roamers are either:

-Not going to care or want to bother taking the caps
-Not even going to have enough people to make the cap

Like I said, not really meant to be a blanket statement, but everyone I have talked to that enjoys roaming/not following the zerg, absolutely hates bloodlust and wants nothing to do with it other than collecting loot from those that are there legitimately.

You always have to remember that not everything is like the higher-mid tiers, down in the lower tiers we have to allocate people accordingly. We don’t queue 3-4 maps even on reset, and sometimes only have 20 people on a map facing much greater numbers.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

@ Gamadorn.2659

Valid point and I can see that side of the argument, I agree with the population, that was what my post was about. All things equal the bloodlust would be fine. However, because of the population imbalances (That they even admit are there on purpose) the bloodlust implementation is flawed.

As for roamers, yeah roamers will continue to do their thing and it gives them another objective to go after, although I almost feel roamers flipping a bunch of camps, sentries and yaks will give a better benefit to the score than getting the bloodlust buff and stomping a few people…but that’s opinion. I just think the high level concept of adding more objectives to the map to spread people out more, causes more pain in the outnumbered matches, again that’s just my opinion. The high level concept is that added more objectives onto a map causes people to have more things to go for, therefore spreading people out more…which is fine and dandy…as long as they are on even terms and have the people to do so. When you already running thin on numbers in a lopsided match, I just personally don’t think it helps. I believe and this my opinion is definitely debatable , that there isn’t AS MUCH of a disconnect between roamers and zergs as you think. I know when im roaming and flipping camps with 3-4 buddies and trying to take bloodlust, once in while we’ll pile into a zerg fight and help out.

But yes, server balance is what’s causing the overall issue, but Anet has admitted that the imbalance is there and will always be, even with that understanding…they went and added a game mechanic that requires balance to be effective….seems counter-intuitive to me…

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: junglizm.5843

junglizm.5843

T1 – 1/3/4
T2 – 6/5/2
T3 – 7/12/11
T4 – 14/9/8
T5 – 10/15/17
T6 – 18/19/13
T7 – 20/22/24
T8 – 16/21/23

This view of the matches is part of the problem.

THERE ARE NO TIERS!

You still have SEA/EU guilds going to top 3 servers thinking they will find good fights consistently. Your GMs need to read up on the system. Once the league starts, the consistency of ranks 1-6 fighting each other week after week is done. You will have 1-2 good matches against other rank 1-3 servers, 1-2 partial blowouts against ranks 4-6 and then you will have 3-4 weeks of guaranteed PvDoor all though Oceanic, SEA and EU time.

Honestly, the chance of rank 1-3 facing each other more than twice is so minuscule, don’t kid yourself by transferring to “Tier 1” thinking your going to have 7 weeks of awesome WvW unless hitting +600 in 1 hour and gate camping the rest of the night is your idea of fun.

twitch.tv/junglizm
Accelerant [BURN] – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Orikx.9671

But yes, server balance is what’s causing the overall issue, but Anet has admitted that the imbalance is there and will always be, even with that understanding…they went and added a game mechanic that requires balance to be effective….seems counter-intuitive to me…

Very good point.

To Kings point. Admittedly my perception of roaming is probably different then most roamers. I enjoy roaming but I also enjoy massive fights. So when I do roam I am usually doing it as much as for the benifit to my server as I am for the good fights. Most true roamers probably have the mindset you mentioned.

For me (when roaming) bloodlust gives me an objective that I otherwise wouldn’t have. I’m not a fan of flipping camps. I can roam around the center getting fights and feel like I am helping my server.

Edit: Additionally I think the huge blowouts in matches this week is a result of ANet trying to see what matchups for leagues will look like. They fudged the RNG for tiers to mix it up more to see how League matches would look with servers today.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Orikx.9671)

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

Edit: Additionally I think the huge blowouts in matches this week is a result of ANet trying to see what matchups for leagues will look like. They fudged the RNG for tiers to mix it up more to see how League matches would look with servers today.

You are correct sir, they absolutely manipulated the numbers.

The matchups like you suggested, are likely tied to them getting data for this coming announcement (likely on Thursday) regarding any possible changes to the NA league.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Wraistlin.6072

Wraistlin.6072

I do have one thing to say about this. How many people kitten’n on this forum transferred from their original server? Or are sitting on one of the more overpopulated servers for WvW?

This can be fixed it just requires everyone to stop jumping on the OverPop bandwagon.

in WvW

King Amadaeus.8619

I do have one thing to say about this. How many people kitten’n on this forum transferred from their original server? Or are sitting on one of the more overpopulated servers for WvW?

This can be fixed it just requires everyone to stop jumping on the OverPop bandwagon.

Truth be told, most of the people I know who have transferred “up in tiers” did so because they wanted to find people who enjoyed the style of play that they themselves enjoy. (IE: WvW)

Whereas those of us on the lower tiers, have to deal with whatever shiny PVE thing comes up every two weeks that pulls 50%+ of our population out of WvW, and we fight outmanned for 7 days.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Orikx.9671

In most cases people not transferring would not fix anything. People get tired of playing and servers lose population. That is the nature of an MMO. For many who have transfered to a higher pop server the alternative would probably mean not playing at all if they couldn’t transfer.
Lots of people play WvW for big fights and you can’t get those on a dead server fighting other dead servers.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Hit the kill switch on random matches and the League. Problem solved.

Most tiers were competitive before matchups were randomized.

^^^^^This (over 9000x)

The match-ups may’ve become stale back then, but they were far better than the lop-sided nonsense we have right now.

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

In most cases people not transferring would not fix anything. People get tired of playing and servers lose population. That is the nature of an MMO. For many who have transfered to a higher pop server the alternative would probably mean not playing at all if they couldn’t transfer.
Lots of people play WvW for big fights and you can’t get those on a dead server fighting other dead servers.

Servers aren’t exactly dead down here but they’re getting deader because all the incentives are to move to higher tiers or PvE.

There need to be incentives to move down tiers. Free up queues at the top and reduce skill lag, liven up the lower tiers.

If they just stopped transfers to all but select low tiers server (maybe rotate which ones), I wouldn’t mind. Since guesting, the only people who transfer are WvW folk.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

they need to take my advice and break the link between your PvE server and your WvW server. In fact rename all the WvW servers to totally different names than PvE uses.

Then at the start of every season wipe the slate clean and force every player to pick the server they want for that season. Pick the same one or not, up to you. Make a new group of friends every 7 weeks. Get to go up with and against all the guilds across GW2.

You want “variety” Anet? there ya go

This is a very interesting idea. I think that splitting WvW from PvE could really make a huge difference in populations. Anet could basically make less worlds, becuase obviously there are less people in WvW than PvE. Each world would have a higher population and better battles over all.

With that being said, I think it should be implemented in the same way it is now with only one server. Once you pick you server. You stay there or transfer from gems (Or just locked in) I don’t like the idea of people being forced to repick servers each season only due to the fact that the people who would like to play with each other every season may not be able to due to the fact that the server could possibly fill and be forced to chose another.

Yea kind of rethinking that part myself – original idea was since WvW server would no longer be tied to PvE server, a WvW-only transfer option would be available and would cost less than a full transfer. WvW-only transfers would take effect upon next weekly reset (can’t transfer during a matchup). WvW-only transfers would not be available to T1 you’d have to do a full transfer at full cost to get to T1. WvW-only transfers would be free to T8.

how about this? every server has wvw part.
making up numbers: desolation (10k players), desolation wvw 1k players.
this would limit the amount of players on every wvw server. and you can only log in wvw when you choose your wvw world in login screen. of course you can be on desolation pve server and millers wvw server.

this would make wvw servers have spread out population, have limited (same) amount of players, and have reserved places for wvw players only.

now we have stacked population, and different percentages of overall population playing wvw on different servers.

in WvW

Orikx.9671

Sorry Petrica I had a hard time understanding your post so i may be repeating what you said.

Really the best option I have seen for balance is to have the WvW servers not tied to the server you character is on.
So basically you pick your server for PvE and your server for WvW. That allows them to adjust the amount of servers based on population. Right now they are adjusting the WvW servers based on PvE load and that doesn’t work. The problem with that though is people don’t feel as connected to their server. They already have the system in place for this because you can connect to WvW from an overflow server.

It will never happen though because WvW is a side project and that might give it a feel that it’s completely separate from the rest of the game.

Orikx
Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

A portion of a game that relies strictly on server coverage was doomed to fail in terms of players being kittened off. Adding leagues to a system of this sort is even worse as it creates more players to jump ship.

in WvW

Posted by: styx.7294

styx.7294

Sorry Petrica I had a hard time understanding your post so i may be repeating what you said.

Really the best option I have seen for balance is to have the WvW servers not tied to the server you character is on.
So basically you pick your server for PvE and your server for WvW. That allows them to adjust the amount of servers based on population. Right now they are adjusting the WvW servers based on PvE load and that doesn’t work. The problem with that though is people don’t feel as connected to their server. They already have the system in place for this because you can connect to WvW from an overflow server.

It will never happen though because WvW is a side project and that might give it a feel that it’s completely separate from the rest of the game.

No, they’re not adjusting anything and the system incentives you to transfer to higher WvW population servers. Gem costs are random as far as tiers are concerned and only relevant for WvW players and the more population the server has the more likely someone will pay at least part of the costs for you anyway. And when you get to a higher tier server, you’ll make more gold in WvW.

I think all I’ve learned in a year is that ArenaNet has no plan for the growing population inequality, never thought it needed one, and hasn’t even started on one.

Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Manuelito.6081

Manuelito.6081

T1 – 1/3/4
T2 – 6/5/2
T3 – 7/12/11
T4 – 14/9/8
T5 – 10/15/17
T6 – 18/19/13
T7 – 20/22/24
T8 – 16/21/23

THERE ARE NO TIERS!

You still have SEA/EU guilds going to top 3 servers thinking they will find good fights consistently. Your GMs need to read up on the system. Once the league starts, the consistency of ranks 1-6 fighting each other week after week is done. You will have 1-2 good matches against other rank 1-3 servers, 1-2 partial blowouts against ranks 4-6 and then you will have 3-4 weeks of guaranteed PvDoor all though Oceanic, SEA and EU time.

Honestly, the chance of rank 1-3 facing each other more than twice is so minuscule, don’t kid yourself by transferring to “Tier 1” thinking your going to have 7 weeks of awesome WvW unless hitting +600 in 1 hour and gate camping the rest of the night is your idea of fun.

I would instead advice to transfer as much as possible to high tiers so that finally this thing can blow-up once and for all and maybe force Anet to re-think seriously the previous six months (!) of work in WvW.
OK I am being half serious here, but honestly…

[ROCK]
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

T1 – 1/3/4
T2 – 6/5/2
T3 – 7/12/11
T4 – 14/9/8
T5 – 10/15/17
T6 – 18/19/13
T7 – 20/22/24
T8 – 16/21/23

THERE ARE NO TIERS!

I would instead advice to transfer as much as possible to high tiers so that finally this thing can blow-up once and for all and maybe force Anet to re-think seriously the previous six months (!) of work in WvW.

i’m all for that except for one flaw, anet gets more and more money from all the transfers fueling the fire.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in WvW

Posted by: Fangshadow.2089

Fangshadow.2089

T1 – 1/3/4
T2 – 6/5/2
T3 – 7/12/11
T4 – 14/9/8
T5 – 10/15/17
T6 – 18/19/13
T7 – 20/22/24
T8 – 16/21/23

THERE ARE NO TIERS!

i’m all for that except for one flaw, anet gets more and more money from all the transfers fueling the fire.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

We have winner. Its pretty obvious why this system is going through.

You’re all wasting your time discussing this. There is no player opinion or well-thought critique that Anet will value over the almighty dollar.

[Hawk] Fang Shadow / Bat Commander
Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

It’s just being scored wrong. If you don’t pay attention to the numbers you can tell whether your server is doing a good job or not. You don’t necessarily get a higher score number for winning a hard fight or protecting your turf against a massive assault. You just know your team did ok.

For weeks, we got all kinds of great numbers just because the other sides gave up. The numbers don’t mean that much.

For the Toast!

(edited by Nanyetah Elohi.4852)

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Also, anybody who resents the ANet techs getting paid for their work, go ahead and try to write a game like this one. Go for it.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

T1 – 1/3/4
T2 – 6/5/2
T3 – 7/12/11
T4 – 14/9/8
T5 – 10/15/17
T6 – 18/19/13
T7 – 20/22/24
T8 – 16/21/23

THERE ARE NO TIERS!

eh, it’s not hard to get the ~90ish gold you need to pay for the gems to transfer.

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

eh, it’s not hard to get the ~90ish gold you need to pay for the gems to transfer.

And the best place to get that ~90ish gold is?

in WvW

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

And the best place to get that ~90ish gold is?

China.

in WvW

Posted by: Evernessince.8035

Evernessince.8035

Also, anybody who resents the ANet techs getting paid for their work, go ahead and try to write a game like this one. Go for it.

If you asked anet techs to rewrite this game, they wouldn’t be able to do it. They prob. only have 1 engine designer onboard still.