Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I have a few.

Siegebreaker trap
Solves: Static siege emplacements
Encourages: Creative siege locations and preparatory tactics
When placed, this trap invisibly marks all siege weapons placed within X distance of its location. When fired, the siege weapon explodes, dealing moderate damage to its operator and knocking back all enemies in range.

These traps may be used to booby trap common enemy siege spots, or for flanking operations to counter hardened siege camps when force of numbers or friendly siege are proving insufficient.

Skritt Sapper Team
Solves: lack of defensive reward play
Encourages: Defending owned assets
Used by targeting a wall section within 1600 range, this trap summons a (temporary for visual effect) team of skritt sappers to burrow and sap the target. While active, this wall section experiences constant degenerative damage. Players within 300 range of the trap can see a usable “sapper burrow” interactable object. Channeling this object for five seconds will allow the player to collapse the burrow, clearing the trap and rewarding some wxp.

These traps allow smaller bands of roving adventurers to support the assault and defense of key structures, as well as efficiently ‘backdoor’ unattended assets.

Brushfire Trap
Solves: Lack of tactical anti-zerg options
Encourages: Creative positional play, ambush play, and non-point conflicts
When triggered, the brushfire trap lights a 600 radius non-damaging brush fire for 20 seconds. Entities within this brushfire are unable to see other units, both friend and foe as if they were stealthed, and are afflicted with 1.2s of cripple and blind each second they remain in the brushfire.

This trap allows powerful area denial for defensive use, encouraging players to seek out as well as dictate alternate transport routes.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

o_O theres already supply and stealth traps did they got removed?

IF not then besides drop, there should be another to craft them.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

What about TRICKS, doesn’t the NPC you buy these from have the title “Traps and Tricks”?

well anyway, some more to think about:

Fog/Snowstorm trick cause the visibility to decrease similar to the snowstorm that’s in FR in EotM

Illusionary Wall/Gate trick when placed on a destroyed wall/gate, it visually looks like a fully repaired wall/gate but takes no damage and can’t stop players moving through it.

Illusionary Dolyak trick Sends out a yak marker in the map that follows the yak path. No need to add any additional characters

We’re on page 3 of this discussion, any thoughts from the Dev Team???

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, I’ve browsed. I like the sentry trap idea, and the anti-siege trap.

Additionally, with the anti-siege trap, if the person throwing the siege has the mastery where deployed siege are invuln for the first few seconds, that could offset the trap.

So here’s my suggestion for a trap
Spring Trap
When triggered, throws ‘x’ number of players back ‘x’ range. Triggers falling dmg (but not enough to kill them generally speaking). Could be negated via stability similarly to other throws/knockbacks/etc.

Obviously if placed in certain locations it could potentially spring board some players to their deaths, but that’s not hugely different than pushing them off a ledge/bridge/etc in current play.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

The Dolyak trap: Triggered by a pre-determined number of players. Turned them into a bunch of dolyaks in 10s.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Steve Whitley.8359

Steve Whitley.8359

A zerg disruptor / ambush trap:
- works like mesmer port where limited number (~10-15) enemy within range entering the entry line is portaled to the exit location where the trap setter can have an ambush (chokepoint / ac fire / superior numbers …) to wipe them, or can be used to simply spread out the enemy for a time (combine w/ supply disruptor to drain supply whatever)
- important that trap entry / exit not limited to zoomed in mini map (like mesmer port)

Old Janx // [THG] Jade Quarry / Seafarer’s Rest
secessit viri bellatores

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

Clothing trap, then you have to fight naked with no stats

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Dev trap, pulls a dev into wvw and doesn’t let him leave until we get meaningful new content:-)

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Armor stripping trap- Puts 25stacks of vulnerability on all enemies within 1200 range for 20s.

Boon defiance trap – For 10s no boon can be apply to targets in 1200range.

Jack in the Box trap – Spawns 6 jack in the boxes that knock up enemies within melee range of each jack.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

The Dolyak trap: Triggered by a pre-determined number of players. Turned them into a bunch of dolyaks in 10s.

That could cause massive lag issues, and would be extremely unfair and spammable :/

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Hah! I like the Frozen Soil idea. XD Although I’d prefer it if it got brought back as a new Ranger spirit rather than a trap.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: retsuya.4708

retsuya.4708

Blob Trap, requires 100 supply

deals 500 dmg per ally in 1200 radius when triggered.

more or less, 60 man blob GG

[WB] Fort Aspenwood

(edited by retsuya.4708)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

Armor stripping trap- Puts 25stacks of vulnerability on all enemies within 1200 range for 20s.

Boon defiance trap – For 10s no boon can be apply to targets in 1200range.

Jack in the Box trap – Spawns 6 jack in the boxes that knock up enemies within melee range of each jack.

Do those knocked up enemies spawn clones 9 minutes later?

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Pessimist trap – A trap placed at the enemys entrance to the zone that when activated makes them realize there’s no point in going out and fighting because what little rewards exist for doing so take forever to get and will ultimately be given to everyone.

/end joke

How about a commander trap. Whenever a commander crosses it, it calls their ability into question on map chat.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: kortam.2948

kortam.2948

Asuran/Charr Log Trap
God help us all when an Asura and Charr team up to make a new trap for wvw

Same footprint as standard existing traps only it has an arrow pointing in the direction you are facing to remind you that is the way it will go off, same placement method and reasonable cost.
Upon triggering a mechanical trap door the size and shape of the trap placement outline opens up on hinges and either a large rolling log is rolled out, or a few small logs and large ones mixed in roll out.

They cannot be placed on structures, so no logs falling off tower walls.
When placed on relatively flat terrain the logs roll a preset distance then fade out or crumble. They are just logs so they can be jumped over to avoid ill effects. I prefer the idea of mixed sizes so you can have a few small fast ones with a real big one or two mixed in to make jumping very challenging.

When placed on an extreme grade…..imagine the visual of a half a dozen logs rolling down the switchback between the borderlands NW tower and camp. I would say for simplicity they should function the same regardless of grade as far as distance/duration . I think the fact that jumping over them on a incline should be more diffficult if not impossible is more than enough to make them more potent on a grade.

As to their specific effects on impact? Well what could or would happen if a rolling log hit you? You get knocked down, rolled over, tripped up if you try to jump it by land on it while rolling, tale damage… So basically if a you dont jump over a log and it hits you from any direction it deals some direct physical damage which can be blocked by any current blocking means (including smoke fields because who knows what crazy acrobatic dodge those sneaky thieves due in that smoke) and knocks you down as it rolls over you which cannot be blocked by any means (you just got hit by a log bro).

If the trap logs hit siege that is built or being built it delivers some horrific damage to them. This makes for not only good zerg blob trap use but also anti-siege deployment, and even just efficient siege clearing.

“But that’s not fair, one person shouldn’t be able to do a lot of damage to siege at one time” If you can’t pay attention to someone planting a trap among your ton of zerg siege, you deserve the damage. As for mass pre-emptive placement, they would abide by the same rules as current siege which I hope affects traps where you cannot have too many in one spot.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: kny.3789

kny.3789

i got a couple:

Portable Hole Trap: mimics the attack that the risen high priest of grenth uses which teleports players into the air a short distance. (originally wanted it to drop you through ground to your death but that has been discouraged.)

Alarm Trap: alerts the owner when activated and applies swiftness to nearby allies in a radius around the owner. intended to help small groups ninja some keeps and towers with a little insurance.

Flammable Oil Trap: doubles duration of all burning applied to targets affected by this trap for a period of time.

The Old Switcheroo Trap: boons applied to targets affected by this trap are converted to conditions instead.

Gravity Trap: targets affected by this trap are stripped of endurance and afflicted with weakness for a period of time. (maybe they also cant jump.)

thats about it though i wouldnt mind seeing traps that are more directly beneficial to the user than it as detrimental to the triggering target. i just cant think of any good ones.

(edited by kny.3789)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Morale Destroying Trap – Places a debuff that posts demoralizing comments on the player’s chat that questions their ability to play. The messages cannot be blocked or ignored and can generate anything from leetspeak to insults based on their profession.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Quick Sand Trap would awesome!

put it right next to supply camps and have players get immobilized in position for 30s. Its like catching an enemy with his hands in the candy jar =D

Would also go great with the addition of all new desert areas from Magumma Jungle!

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Abe Kleine.3568

Quick Sand Trap would awesome!

put it right next to supply camps and have players get immobilized in position for 30s. Its like catching an enemy with his hands in the candy jar =D

Would also go great with the addition of all new desert areas from Magumma Jungle!

Nope

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: celeron.3469

celeron.3469

Not going to read every post since there’s a bunch, so this may have already been suggested.

It would be nice to have a “contagious” condition trap that is applied to players that walk through it and it spreads to nearby players as well. The more players that are near you with the condition the stronger the condition is. Maybe something like 30 players being full power, not saying agony with no resistance strong but something definitely noticeable. You would just have to cleanse it to remove it immediately or wait for it to wear off and eat the damage. But because it is contagious it may be reapplied to you again because a nearby ally still has it.

Its main intention being to break up the unnecessarily large zergs that make the entire borderland lag, hopefully promoting smaller more efficient groups.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Humlae.1234

Humlae.1234

There used to be a ranger spirit that prevented rezzing in gw1. That should come back in trap form. Maybe one that prevents both hard and soft rezzing so it is rally or nothing (say 8000 range and 15min duration).

I feel this would solve a few problems wvw has and would make it easier for a small skilled group to take out a badly organised blob.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

There used to be a ranger spirit that prevented rezzing in gw1. That should come back in trap form. Maybe one that prevents both hard and soft rezzing so it is rally or nothing (say 8000 range and 15min duration).

I feel this would solve a few problems wvw has and would make it easier for a small skilled group to take out a badly organised blob.

Shazam—( http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Frozen_Soil ) There you go.

Mine—Blame mine—-group cought in field stop to blame each other for various minor things —-2 secs stun. (various calls charr vs asura vs human etc)

Shrinker mine—-group cought in field have their cloths shrunk and voices become shrill minus 25% speed duration—-duration (dunno im making this up)

And yes I confess—I am a fan of the Mystery men movie

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: MarauderShields.6830

MarauderShields.6830

Specifically there are a few WvW traps abilities that we try to avoid:

• Traps that can instantly kill players. We don’t want you to be able to passively wipe a group by stacking three invisible explosive traps on top of each-other. That said, we are more open to these types of traps as long as there is some counterplay available (like the trap has a visible land mine effect, or gives the group warning to dodge away quickly before it explodes.)

Why did you add the stealth disruptor trap then? This kind of trap is an insta-death to some builds while others are not even touched. If you aimed for counterplay against zerg-veil, why doesn’t it just end stealth, without the 30 seconds of revealed-debuff? You could also add traps that lock F1-F4-skills for 30 seconds or disable CC-effects of skills for that time (both of them would be totally unfair to certain builds but at least there’s an unfair trap for every class then).

Former running-really-fast-man. Now proud member of Revenant clan.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: alvinjason.3109

alvinjason.3109

Anti-revive trap. Wherein you can’t revived a downed player for a certain amount of time. GOOD vs Zergs.

Devona’s Rest → NSP [SA] [TeaP]

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Anti-revive trap. Wherein you can’t revived a downed player for a certain amount of time. GOOD vs Zergs.

Or:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Frozen_Soil, would that make rangers attractive?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Posting again but in better format.

Launch Trap:
1,200 range, effective up to 20 players, distance launched 200
Launch multiple foes simultaneously incapacitating them until the duration expires.

Traitor Trap:
1,200 range, effective up to 10 players, active duration 60 seconds.
Turns allied players in to enemy players, does not allow effected players to enter enemy towers/keeps, effected players can be attacked by both allied and enemy players making them “serverless” for the duration.

Wall Of Warding:
1,200 range, unlimited player effect, active duration 8 seconds.
When activated an impassable wall will appear knocking down players who touch it, ignores stability and acts as a temporarily indestructible wall.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Abe Kleine.3568

Oh my lord people PLEASE stop coming up with ideas for traps that are literally the easiest thing in the entire world to exploit in practice, these ideas are getting worse and worse. It’s as bad as the TF2 community when it comes to making up weapon stats, they’re so OP and broken you just want to smack them across the face and knock some sense into them. Please think logically and remember that ANY GROUP could put multiple of these traps down.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Xterra.6172

Xterra.6172

This gets an Anet response and instanced gvg doesn’t?

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Karuna.1357

Karuna.1357

Of course. Because it is something they can implement relatively easily and cheaply. Apparently they don’t want to commit much effort to WvW or to creating new game formats that people actually want.

Guild Leader/Commander, the Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Tarnished Coast
http://www.espguild.com

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

After fighting the Triple Wurm again the other day, I’d like to see a trap that makes enemies that run over it bounce up and down similar to the Husk’s thump. It briefly CC’s enemies that fall victim to it, but I think it would just be hilarious to see a zerg run in, trigger the trap, and just bounce up like they’re on a Mario Kart track. XD

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Supply drop trap.
This trap is a “superior” version of the supply removal trap. It’s quite more expensive and takes 15 supply instead 10 to build. When triggered, the enemies will not just lose supply, they’ll drop them as small supply drops that last for a couple of minutes and anyone in your team can use to take supply from them.

Ineptitude trap
This trap puts an effect on targets that makes them unable to use siege for the duration of 2 defense ticks.

Counter trap.
This is a tricky one. Against a single enemy, it does nothing but putting on them a single effect, and the trap keeps giving that effect without dissipating to whoever steps on it until it has delivered 25 individual stacks.
When that happens, all affected targets are teleported back to the trap’s location, and lose a fixed amount of health (e.g.: 2500) capped to a % of their max HP (e.g.: With a 10% cap, a guy with 15K HP won’t lose more than 1500), and the trap dissipates.
Each stack lasts 2 minutes, and if any of the targets loses the effect before all 25 are delivered, the trap dissipates without triggering, and each player can have only one stack from one trap on them other counter traps would simply ignore those that already have one stack.
This trap is meant to deter mindless rushing in, as 25 players running in a zerg would get the stacks rather quickly no one notices the effect and warns the others. If they do rush in, they’ll get stacked and take some damage.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Hey you avid WvW players. I think we could use another trap in WvW! Let’s come up with some cool ideas for some new traps to help with game play!

I’ll go first!

Inspired by the Aetherblade path in Twilight Arbor, I noticed a boss throwing down some blade saws!

How cool would it be to have a trap that would trigger these little bad boys? Now for balance sake we would have to make these traps pretty expensive, maybe even require guild tokens be used to purchase them, but I think it would add some tactics to WvW.

Do you send in a scout first to trigger the traps? Do you try to avoid zerg balling into a structure and perhaps take an alternative route to the keep lords circle?

Another trap idea I’ve thought about is the anit-zerg trap. This trap would do an AoE damage in a small area, but the damage would multiply based on the number of targets within the area. Think of a chain lightning that would continue to chain as long as targets remained in the area.

This would prevent huge-ball zergs and force zergs to play with a bit more tactics.

I acutally like your trap idea, but i would make it inexpensive like the other 2 (or just badges) & make it only activate when a group of X+ ppl are near it, otherwise dont trigger for smaller groups, put a few on the gate & bye bye braid dead zerging down gates (to some extent). Hell, i dont care if it’s an insta-kill nuke, punish blobing, it makes wvw boring.

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: alvinjason.3109

alvinjason.3109

Or:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Frozen_Soil, would that make rangers attractive?

Definitely. Truth is you can’t really beat an insanely big zerg however good in zerg busting you are. A big zerg can just revive the downed/dead ones quicker than you can finish them off. Having some kind of an "anti-revive trap’ or something to reduce the healing of the revivers would help. But something like this needs to be balanced as it would be boring if people relied on this trap all the time. But it’s definitely a great idea.

Devona’s Rest → NSP [SA] [TeaP]

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Just remember, guys. You heard it here first. Players asking for some sort of trap that affects siege. Do you want a trap that destroys your siege (like retaliation) or disables it momentarily? I hope there’s some sort of debuff at least so that the disablement trap can’t be spammed on siege already disabled.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

Warning bell trap, when enemy run over it a “warning bell” show on map, it show like White 0-5, green 6-14 blue 15-24 red 25+ or something like that and it stay on the map for ~10 30sec.

THIS IS THE REAL TRAP !!!!

+1m from me

p.s. 10 sec is very too little , for an active player that is fighting , i think 30 second is a good time

(edited by Reborn.2934)

Invent a new trap!

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

Just remember, guys. You heard it here first. Players asking for some sort of trap that affects siege. Do you want a trap that destroys your siege (like retaliation) or disables it momentarily? I hope there’s some sort of debuff at least so that the disablement trap can’t be spammed on siege already disabled.

45 days
since Tuesday July 01 2014
a Tuesday 1 month and 13 days from today

inb4 banned

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.