Most useless class in WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

Ranger.

The Mesmer is far from the most “useless” class. Least DPS in a zerg? Perhaps. But they’re hands-down the best utility profession in the game.

so u think playing veilbot and portal service is fun?no its not its absolutely boring. so yeah a mesmer can hide and portal in. big deal, but the fun is actually in zerg fights and defending and siegeing and there we lack a lot. i wanna fight too, not just veil the warriors so they can go to get their lootbags.
we are stuck with our stupid clones and phantasms/ai
ai is useless in wvw thats why rangers and mesmers suffer from it.

Mesmers can roam. One of the most efficient outnumbered roaming classes there are.

Rangers can’t. Even the most try-hard sword/dagger Ranger is inferior to just about any other roaming build out there. And Longbow and Shortbow are not even options in roaming. The Longbow is for tagging very few enemies during a ZvZ.

Ranger hands down the most useless class for anything from large scale to roaming.

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Mesmer is used for portals and veils.
Ele is used for fields.
War is the core of group.
Guard is in the core too.
Necro for conditions and boon striping.
Thief for scouting and blast finishers.

Ranger and engi are both the most useless classes in wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Coarr.3286

Coarr.3286

Ranger.

The Mesmer is far from the most “useless” class. Least DPS in a zerg? Perhaps. But they’re hands-down the best utility profession in the game.

so u think playing veilbot and portal service is fun?no its not its absolutely boring. so yeah a mesmer can hide and portal in. big deal, but the fun is actually in zerg fights and defending and siegeing and there we lack a lot. i wanna fight too, not just veil the warriors so they can go to get their lootbags.

Mesmers can roam. One of the most efficient outnumbered roaming classes there are.

Rangers can’t. Even the most try-hard sword/dagger Ranger is inferior to just about any other roaming build out there. And Longbow and Shortbow are not even options in roaming. The Longbow is for tagging very few enemies during a ZvZ.

Ranger hands down the most useless class for anything from large scale to roaming.

strange, i havent lost a single duell for a few weeks yet, i am not joining up with zergs, but the last 2 times i did my support was superb, i was at every wipe one of the last man standing.

small scale is where the ranger outshines every other class with its versatility. when i ask my guild mates what char i have to log in, ranger, warrior or guard they always want my ranger.

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

in WvW

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

Ranger.

strange, i havent lost a single duell for a few weeks yet, i am not joining up with zergs, but the last 2 times i did my support was superb, i was at every wipe one of the last man standing.

small scale is where the ranger outshines every other class with its versatility. when i ask my guild mates what char i have to log in, ranger, warrior or guard they always want my ranger.

I haven’t lost a single duel for a while with my Longbow ranger, either. That doesn’t mean it’s a good class. It just means everyone I’ve fought has sucked.

in WvW

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Rangers arent that bad, its only that you have to try a bit harder to find niches where they work, since they arent as dummy proof to make a good spec as most other classes. Unless you play a bunker build, they dont have as many get out of jail free cards, so mistakes are punished hard, so dont make mistakes! :P

I find it better than playing an engineer however, couldnt make that work, probably since I didnt like spamming grenades.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

lol you people saying rangers are kitten .. just lol

in WvW

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Thieves are not useless unless they scrub it up with a permastealth build. Rangers….I feel sorry for rangers….

OP’d thief, lol

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I play a Ranger so clearly the class doesn’t have problems… I love those responses the most. The Ranger is very clearly the least useful class in WvW. You can tell because when was the last time you’ve heard a commander ask over teamspeak for the Rangers to do anything? The closest you come is ‘drop water on my tag’ which infers Rangers, but also something several others can do as well.

Need more proof? Watch a guild vs guild or zerg buster group run around. Every other class has representation other than the Ranger.

The class is a strong dueling class. As the number of opponents you face goes above 1v1 the class starts to lose out very quickly. It just doesn’t do anything and what little it’s capable of is outdone by every other class in the game. Useless? Of course not… it has a #1 key like everyone else. But everyone else can do it better.

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

I’d take a good / smart ranger over a full zerker 100b warrior slamming on doors and rally bottin any day.

in WvW

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

As someone who played a ranger for WvW and clocked over 1k hours with that toon in WvW, the dependencies of the ranger to his pet can cripple all the skills when the pet dies. Even a beastmaster drake or bear is not smart enough to last more than 2 seconds in zerg fights (even if you ask the pet to guard and not attack).

I would go with a shield/sword/hammer warrior all PVT gear.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

in WvW

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

I play ranger from start of game and its only one good build for zerg fights, regen shout bunker with axe and warhorn. But pet is still problem no matter witch build you got.

in WvW

Posted by: Kira.2903

Kira.2903

Think many players misunderstand what this thread is really about. The question was what class are most useless, not what class are lest fun to play in wvw.
When it comes to zerg fights every single class got something to contribute with.
Mesmer got as said got some of the best utilities so if it comes down to the class wvw zergs can do without I would say ranger or thief, just because what they can contribute other classes can also and do even more on top of that.

If we are talking about the lest fun class to play I would say mesmer because of the lack of reliable aoe for tagging.

S P E L L B O U N D —~--Mesmer —~--Human lvl 80
S P E L L B O R N —~--Necro —~--Sylvari lvl 80
I Kira I —~--Ele —~--Sylvari lvl 80

in WvW

Posted by: LunarNacht.8913

LunarNacht.8913

Voting Mesmer…yes being the portal/veil bot has its uses but outside of that, ehh. On the 2 servers have played on have seen multiple times where a call has been made by commander of zerg for Veil/portal only to realize not a single mesmer in entire zerg. Usually later it’s followed by “I can get on my mesmer if you really need one.”

If a commander asks about mesmer, it’s probably to port golems. That’s the moment i get quiet and stealth away.

in WvW

Posted by: ptitminou.6489

ptitminou.6489

Rangers are very useful in WvW. We usually use the enemy rangers as rallybait. Of course, we don’t want any in our team, but they are great on the opposing team.

kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten kitten
Because censorship is the most important part of the MMO business.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I’m inclined to say they all have their uses, but that either Thieves or Elementalists are the lowest value. They do perform great in their respective avenues, roaming and open field respectively, but that’s about the extent of their strengths. Other classes have a wider spread of roles.

Mind, this is very much IMO; I have nowhere near enough experience to say definitively.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Warrior by far is the most useless class in almost any scenario.

I laughed so hard I think I peed a little. Good post.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in WvW

Posted by: kelman.9451

kelman.9451

Funny all the Ranger hate, Rangers are great, you don’t need your pet if you spec right.
I can escape with my Ranger almost as much as with my Mes. you can burn people down with long bow in almost one volley of #2 ability, and the aoe crippling shot is nice to slow down a group of enemies that the rest of your team can finish off. Not to mention the healing spring is nice to remove conditions.

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Warriors and guardians are mostly good in the safety of a zerg. If I find a guardian when I’m solo capping on my ranger, oh man, I get tunnel vision for that stomp.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Any PvE zerker build is the most useless in WvW. I have seen and play with some awesome rangers, engis, thieves, non veilbot mesmers who help a lot in groups and are very useful. On the other hand whenever I target a warrior and it has 4-5 signets, then I already know its a free lootbag that will take almost half its health in damage just from my auto attack.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Ahh now I see the derailment replies. The thread title isn’t “Most useless class in WvW Zerg”. There is more to WvW than just a ball of pvt bait.

With my ranger I have done quite well. Overall most enjoyable class to play due to the build. Had fights such as 1v1 with a warrior who ran off when losing while I held a ruin, then they returned after retraiting and swapping gear to a bunkery hammer warrior. Ran that player off a second time.

Flip any camp solo.

Yeah, useless. The only thing I find useless in WvW are bad commanders, and last I checked that wasn’t a class.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in WvW

Posted by: Arthedain.5928

Arthedain.5928

mesmers: portals and time warp
thiefs: can stealth to evade zergs +scout + get into sieged stuff easely
nekro + ele lots of aoe
rangers and wariors can be good when well played but have nothing that realy destingushes them from the other classes / makes them important to a zerg

Leader of ONYX.
Commander of Piken.
Ranger for Life.

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

We know from the sheer numbers involved in WvW realm avenger titles, whatever class someone has named as useless, that person has been killed by it hundreds or thousands of times. Not only that, they’ve been brutally humiliated by said class.

Remember that one time on your warrior when you were defending a camp against a solo mesmer, and he killed you and then took the camp anyway?

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

It isn’t possible to say the most useless class in WvW. It depends on the scenario:

Roaming Solo: Guardian. Not sure why you’d ever do this to yourself? Not a good roaming spec compared to the others.
Roaming Group: None. It all depends on team composition
Zerg: Thief. Yes, they have blast finishers, but so do other classes. A zerg doesn’t need thieves to be successful.

in WvW

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Ranger is not useless in wvw. When traited with 1500 on lb and placed inside garrison he can refresh siege, and perform very well on guard duty. It is very important for commander to know how many invaders are attacking garrison and that is where ranger really outshines other classes…

in WvW

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

I love this thread. If anyone in ANet decides to do one single thing right…

(just one thing right)
(((just one itty bitty teensy weensy teeny tiny thing right)))

…then they will read this thread, call the wife and kids to tell them to leave dinner out tonight, and down a fresh pot of coffee so they can fix the kitten class at least sometime within the foreseeable future.

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

in WvW

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Ranger. At least thieves are excellent scouts, tappers, supply disruptors and have very useful blast ability, engi can shine in small-scale roaming squads. Rangers are underperforming everywhere, sadly

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Ranger is not useless in wvw. When traited with 1500 on lb and placed inside garrison he can refresh siege, and perform very well on guard duty. It is very important for commander to know how many invaders are attacking garrison and that is where ranger really outshines other classes…

the thread is about useless in zergs and rangers and mesmers dont have much to contribute. honestly, staying in a keep, because u cant push is not fun. just being a veilbot is not fun and for me roaming is not fun. if i was into roaming id go spvp. wvw is about grupfights and siegeing(its war so yeah big zergs are part of it) and the most fun i ever had was when glamour was still strong as i was able to push a zerg with a mesmer group: we died a lot but we also killed a lot and that was fun for me.
as for rangers, they always had a hard time in zergfights but it used to be a little better before all the other classes got buffed. the problem atm is that any form of ai is not viable in wvw zergs. phatasms and clones are only good for groups around 5 people…maybe 10 but in a big fight they die in 2 seconds.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Title says nothing about useless in a Zerg…. Also, useless is not the same as fun and not the same as most loot bags per hour…. Those are your definitions not everyone else’s.

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Taking the “fun to play aspect” out of it.

Ranger is the least useful. Their water field is powerful but the elementalist water fields are almost as good and elemenatilists do way more AoE damage and add group fields.

Engineers are second. Stronger than rangers solo but also lacking in general group utility.

Thieves are third. Stealth allows them to scout zergs, kill yaks with relative ease, help cloak mesmers for quick keep flips/forcing sweeps and gank reinforcements. However in large group settings they are relatively weak with mainly a great blast finisher to offer.

After these three… the rest are all good in one role or another. None of this changes what players like to play but if I were forming a skill group I doubt rangers or engis would be in the list and thieves would be asked in limited quantity.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in WvW

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

the thread is about useless in zergs and rangers and mesmers dont have much to contribute. honestly, staying in a keep, because u cant push is not fun. just being a veilbot is not fun and for me roaming is not fun. if i was into roaming id go spvp. wvw is about grupfights and siegeing(its war so yeah big zergs are part of it) and the most fun i ever had was when glamour was still strong as i was able to push a zerg with a mesmer group: we died a lot but we also killed a lot and that was fun for me.
as for rangers, they always had a hard time in zergfights but it used to be a little better before all the other classes got buffed. the problem atm is that any form of ai is not viable in wvw zergs. phatasms and clones are only good for groups around 5 people…maybe 10 but in a big fight they die in 2 seconds.

Since you quoted me, read my post again and tell me you can’t see obvious sarcasam.

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

A minion master necro who’s just been moa morphed

haha!

For the Toast!

in WvW

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Interesting answers. WvW is full of rangers. I see quite a few mesmers, too. We have some prominent commanders in TC who are mesmers. And thieves are a major pain in the kitten. I don’t understand how those guys trashing the other guys’ supply over and over and over isn’t useful.

For the Toast!

(edited by Nanyetah Elohi.4852)

in WvW

Posted by: Sunt.6835

Sunt.6835

Interesting answers. WvW is full of rangers. I see quite a few mesmers, too. We have some prominent commanders in TC who are mesmers. And thieves are a major pain in the kitten. I don’t understand how those guys trashing the other guys’ supply over and over and over isn’t useful.

because it’s open place for everyone ? U would see every class there obviously.

It also depends on where u play … Each tier are not the same. Low tier = less blob / smaller blob / blob are not very high organized as t1

I would say ranger / engi / thieve are not a good choice in Blob t1 but they are very good for small fight.

Thieve can be used to track enemy blob

BG

in WvW

Posted by: Iconoklast.2389

Iconoklast.2389

I’m sorry but mesmer reflects can absolutely crush the average militia zerg

Iconoklast – Guardian / Icono Clone – Mesmer
Tiny Icono – Engineer / The Icono – Elementalist
SoS – Empyrean Knights [EK] YB – The Coasters [TC]

in WvW

Posted by: Calle.8746

Calle.8746

Warrior by far is the most useless class in almost any scenario.

lol’d

Also there’s no bad proffesions, only bad players.

in WvW

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

WvW is full of rangers. I see quite a few mesmers, too.

WvW is also full of PvErs.

in WvW

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

I have only seen one ele commander in TC; no ranger commanders, at least none with pets; don’t think I have seen a thief commander. I think I have seen engi commanders. By far the majority are heavy armor. Makes sense since the commander needs to not die, but there are some mesmers commanding on TC.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

WvW is full of rangers. I see quite a few mesmers, too.

WvW is also full of PvErs.

There are tons of pets all over the place in fights with tier 1 servers.

For the Toast!

in WvW

Posted by: Deus Fatorum.2473

Deus Fatorum.2473

Ambient Creature is by far the worst, probably also the most bugged class too.

There is this one particular bug where everything one shots them. Not to mention due to the animations, they experience horrible lag and usually appear to be in an idle position.

Also before BETA the devs felt ambient creature was far to powerful, so they had locked all of their skills until they got it sorted out. After a while they realized everyone who was playing ambient creature although doing the lowest in damage of all the classes also had taken the least damage of all the classes.

In an attempt to balance this, they added the ambient killer to the achievements, however it wasn’t enough, so now they are only letting AI control the ambient creature class, until they finish sorting things out.

Now Ambient Creature has officially become the worst class, why couldn’t they make it less OP and unbalanced to start with, instead of nerfing it to the ground.

<sigh>

in WvW

Posted by: Coarr.3286

Coarr.3286

Ranger. At least thieves are excellent scouts, tappers, supply disruptors and have very useful blast ability, engi can shine in small-scale roaming squads. Rangers are underperforming everywhere, sadly

i need to upgrade my pc and record some videos. the thinking that rangers are bad became a disease.

[care] Coarr Ix – Ranger
Kodash
Stomp some Piken!

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

Ranger is inherently at a disadvantage due to the class dependency on it’s pets. Pets are not strong enough or smart enough in most wvw situations and as soon as it dies the ranger can lose a lot of functionality from traits.

I actually find the pet quite useful when soloing a camp, especially if it’s upgrade or has NPC mercenaries in it, too. Send the pet in to attack first and draw the enemy into a nice ball and then AoE them with Barrage, Piercing Arrows, and the Mistfire Wolf. But against other players, you need serious pet management to keep them from dying quickly.

I was talking about wvw not pve.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

after patch thieves will be the worst

here, i said it

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

here, i said it

Yeah all that extra initiative without the need for traits is going to kill them.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

in WvW

Posted by: Kai.9182

Kai.9182

Useless is such a strong word… Every class has some sort of niche. The interesting thing about this thread is you don’t mention what aspect they could be useless at.
In my opinion Guardians aren’t that strong at range dps, Rangers don’t make very good front liners and Thieves shouldn’t be commanders.
Most people will probably say Rangers or Thieves in regards to large scale because they don’t have great synergy in large groups. But I’ve seen some Thieves do some mean scouting and Rangers do serious damage to commanders with piercing arrows.

EDIT: Here is a Ranger Frontline build with gameplay towards the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lej85Rb3fMU

(edited by Kai.9182)

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

A glass ele thinking his a tank

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Cynz.9437

here, i said it

Yeah all that extra initiative without the need for traits is going to kill them.

there is more to it…but there are threads for it elsewhere

All is Vain~

in WvW

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

here, i said it

Only for players who are too lazy to do something other than abuse a broken stealth mechanic.

OP’d thief, lol

in WvW

Cynz.9437

here, i said it

Only for players who are too lazy to do something other than abuse a broken stealth mechanic.

lol stealth nerf isn’t the problem…

All is Vain~

in WvW

Posted by: Muramasa.6487

Muramasa.6487

i cause a lot of chaos on my ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

lol you people saying rangers are kitten .. just lol

Quote ftw

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.