Nerf the domination of Coverage

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

That’s why proposals 1 and 2 are continuous based on the real number of players.
For simplicity of writing: Prime-time is when there are 695+ people in a WvW match (at least one player per objective point), off-time is when there are 694- people in a WvW match (more objective points than player)
Some matches may be prime-time 24/7, some matches may have several prime-times over the day.

5) make a new map that isn’t PPT driven

oh wait

Yes, I am quite sure that the amount of off-time increases a lot when EotM comes, i.e. WvW will loose a lot of player to EotM.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

The problem
They have more peple than you.
The negative consequences
You lose.
The solution
Recruit more or transfer.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Dayra.7405

I can repeat it for you:

I play on a server that is currently second in EU-coverage. Still I find a game nonsense where the presence/absence of 50 off-time people decide a match and the quality of 1000 prime-time people has no influence on match-outcome.

I want that both player have a similar influence on the out-come. This does not punish off-time people, but of course it reduces their current imbalanced over-poweredness.

And do you really find it adequate that a few people on DB make nearly as many points in 4 hours than you make with many more in 20h? (time in the screenshoor is CET, but you can look at http://gw2score.com/server/Borlis-Pass yourself.)

Attachments:

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I havent payed attention to ppt in a long time. When I log on, my guildies and I take on queues and thats all that matters to me.
My comments are now irrelevant.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

The could eliminate it by forcing people to play on the closest servers to them.

Why they allow Europe servers to be available to NA and vice versa is beyond me.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The could eliminate it by forcing people to play on the closest servers to them.

Why they allow Europe servers to be available to NA and vice versa is beyond me.

Riiiiiight… “eliminate” it…Then we’d need a server in every country.

You do realize there is a tiny bit of difference in terms of timezones. In Spain its evening primetime, in central Russia its bloody morning, lol.

Then of course we have the always ignored Australia and every other part of the world.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Then of course we have the always ignored Australia and every other part of the world.

Ignored? How can you ignore someone that currently has a scoring multiplier of 10-20?
In fact they aren’t ignored, they are wanted in every recruitment thread.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Here is another possibility to turn coverage PvD into real WvW.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/If-you-could-change-the-scoring-mechanic/3552163

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: demetrodon.1457

demetrodon.1457

Care so much about PPT? Recruit guilds that can cover all the coverage. It’s so simple. Get the pvers to contribute more. Although I like the ideas provided and will bring a bit of balance ( To mention, I don’t care about PPT much, I enjoy my fights and loots), it will bring a chaos upon the people of timezones who don’t belong to either EU or NA, and care about PPT. Bashing heads at empty keep doors seems lame to me as well but let every person enjoy the game on their own way. It’s an MMO.

Ex [FURY] [PunK] [SOUL]
Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by demetrodon.1457)

in WvW

Dayra.7405

We (Elona) currently have a good coverage within EU-Ranking, still
there aren’t (and will never) enough off-time player to have full maps 24/7 for all servers and the scoring should take care of that by limiting the score you can get by the number of players playing.

Currentlly Piken and Kodash aren’t fighting worser than Elona during prime time, still the match is a very worse one. The only challenge is: Will we squeeze enough points out of them to stay ahead Vizunah and get gold or not?

That’s not good game design, that’s a bug.

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

NERF ITTTTTT. Sorry giving in to WvW frustrations.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I would drop the game if that happened, also WvWis the only yhing i like in gw2 yet game mechanics quality are not that good.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Bao Lin Nda.1042

Bao Lin Nda.1042

Well, yes, it’s all about night coverage in EU. It doesn’t matter much how many players are on during “normal” playing times like afternoon and evening. There will be enough to get the match close during that period. You can defend a T3 with 10 players against 30+, but not with 2 players against a night blob of 20+. So smaller servers without a decent night shift do lose each night every tower every day. PPT of <25 during the night are normal, PPT of 0 around 5am common.
WvW 24/7 is broken by design from the start if you take the game serious as a competetive game. It’s far from that, it’s nothing like a more or less nice amusement.
Go to http://mos.millenium.org/eu/matchups and click on the servers names to see the income graphs. In almost every matchup you will see a big bulge during night for normally one server. And the higher you go up in the ranking, the more night caping will be seen.
But no, Anet won’t fix this. They will lose more and more WvW-players to other games and WvW will die slowly but for sure on most servers. Sad but true.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

This isn’t solely about PPT. The issue to me is that most of the fights suck. If you log during NA morning against DB you will get run over. If you log during NA prime, you will probably run over DB. DB is a tier 1 or 2 server in the NA AM but a T5 server in NA Prime. So for much of a 24 hour cycle, the fighting simply sucks.

That said if we occasionally fought DB as a change of pace, that would be totally fine. I think BP and EBay’s current problem is that DB is on our list almost every week. We are locked in the room with a server that few want to deal with day in and day out.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

If one army faction fails to have persistent and sufficient guarding, then they are not worthy of keeping their fortifications during that shift.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

If one army faction fails to have persistent and sufficient guarding, then they are not worthy of keeping their fortifications during that shift.

None of my Coverge Nerf-proposals will help them to keep it in that shift, but
Proposal 4 will separete the shifts into different matches, which will result into different opponents (from different ranks) in different shift, i.e. more balance all around the clock.
A server may fight T1 at 20 UTC, and T5 at 12 UTC, and maybe T7 at 4 UTC, because it’s shift’s are imbalanced strong.

The other proposals only balance score gain in the match from minorities of players, but none hinders them to play e.g. by capping the whole map.

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

Why do people always assume the “problem” only exists for the servers that get stomped…You know there are some decent players, that enjoy challenges, and like to fight that end up on the servers doing the stomping (winning servers), that hate this system just as much as the people getting stomped.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

I’ve posted this in several threads and forgive me if it’s already in this one, but:

Anet needs to find a way to award points on KILL instead of on STOMP This would greatly increase the points that kills contribute to the score, which would also greatly increase the points generated at peak play times, by default making the off-hours capping less of an overall impact.

I’m pretty sure it’s currently based on stomp because it was easier to figure out who gets the point, and has nothing to do with stomps actually meaning more than a DPS kill.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

I’m pretty sure it’s currently based on stomp because it was easier to figure out who gets the point, and has nothing to do with stomps actually meaning more than a DPS kill.

Lol, I think there is only one reasons to base it on stomp: It generates a better market for more expensive stomping animations

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

This doesn’t make any sense at all. You can’t nerf coverage just so you have a chance at winning. Winning WvW does not do ANYTHING for you or your server. No chest, no exp, no karma, etc. WvW is about the player vs. player aspect along with the laughably bad PvE rally fest.

CD

in WvW

Dayra.7405

This doesn’t make any sense at all. You can’t nerf coverage just so you have a chance at winning.

As now written the third time in this thread: My Server (Elona Reach) is currently winning due to coverage. (And yes, I waited till be were back to rank 2 before I started this thread, to make clear that I do not have that reason. Currently we are even on the way to rank 1 and of course T1-competitive coverage is a main reason.)

But winning due to coverage is as boring as loosing due to coverage.

I do not want it nerfed it to have a better chance to win. I want it nerfed to have better chances for more balanced matches, beacause more server are able to compete at prime-time, than there are servers that are able to compete at off-time.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

I think most of the OP’s proposals actually go against the idea that all players and their contributions are worth the same in points, i.e. the PPT ticks the same way 24hrs a day.

But the time slicing is something that should be implemented in some manner.

I’d like matches to last only 4-6 hours between resets. Make upgrades cheaper to account for the reduction in time to build up supplies and stuff resetting often. Maybe start matches every two or three hours, so matches overlap, to give folks more flexibility when they pick a slot to play. OTOH that might also reduce competition too much, because players could scatter too much over the numerous slots.

Shorter matches like this would give the players more of a sense of accomplishment. For the most part, people who care enough would pick some of the time slots in a week (7*4=28 for 6hr matches, or 42 for 4hr) that they’d be able to commit from start to finish.

• No logging off in the middle and knowing all your work will be gone the next time you log in.
  • No more night capping.
  • No more taking the lead on the weekend to see it melt away during the work week.
  • Population imbalance would matter less because now you are playing in what is likely your servers “prime time”, so lots of folks online, likely on all sides.
  • That server A has a huge population advantage in timezone X doesn’t matter because you aren’t playing in that slot and your match will be long over by then. In fact, if the people on A in X never find anyone to play against and their “contribution” doesn’t matter in the larger scheme of things (because their blowout match lasts 4 hrs and no one else cares that they PvD’ed to a 350k win) these folks might consider moving to either a time slot that has more people in it, or to a server where time slot X has competition.
Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

in WvW

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

This doesn’t make any sense at all. You can’t nerf coverage just so you have a chance at winning.

As now written the third time in this thread: My Server (Elona Reach) is currently winning due to coverage. (And yes, I waited till be were back to rank 2 before I started this thread, to make clear that I do not have that reason. Currently we are even on the way to rank 1 and of course T1-competitive coverage is a main reason.)

But winning due to coverage is as boring as loosing due to coverage.

I do not want it nerfed it to have a better chance to win. I want it nerfed to have better chances for more balanced matches, beacause more server are able to compete at prime-time, than there are servers that are able to compete at off-time.

Oo. Did you ever play RS? Are you greek?

CD

in WvW

Solstice.1097

Lol, I think there is only one reasons to base it on stomp: It generates a better market for more expensive stomping animations

i don’t think the animations market has anything to do with getting a world point when you stomp.

it’s just easy to tell who stomped whom, instead of a 3 way battle where you died and got hit by 15 people from each other server. who gets the credit then? with a stomp it’s easy to tell, but that severely limits the points that it’s contributing.

in PvP its easy, if you die the other team gets +5 points, but in WvW there are 2 other teams so who gets the +5? That’s the part they need to figure out and then kills can go from 15-20% or whatever % of the score to more like ~50% If a server PvD’s all night they may get a ton of PPT, but the winners of the large NA prime fights could potentially out-score that PPT.

It could be as simple as whoever does that final hit of damage that finishes the person off gets credit for their server as a kill.

in WvW

Posted by: Imalight.6124

Imalight.6124

lets just suppose OP and friends get this deluded fantasy of scaled ppt in off hours, it still doesnt change point that the other server with larger population and will steamroll you regardless.

“Hey guys i play off hours and we didn’t lose our 10k ppt lead because anets awesome scaled ppt but I lost my dignity, lost my wife, lost all of my friends, lost my job, lost all our fortified stuff and got wiped nonstop for hours. On the bright side we still won the match up! Cheer up we won! Whats wrong guys? Guys? HellloooooOoo? "

See what i mean?

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Of course a stronger server should win. But stronger, when more players (around 1000) play should be more meaningful, and not only how it currently is: we won because we were 50 when you were only 20

in WvW

Posted by: Eir Jordan.2156

Eir Jordan.2156

Dayra, I cannot fathom why you care about the medals so much. I could understand why one might be interested in placing in the top 3 of one’s league during the Wvw seasons, but who really cares about the off-season results? Do the medals on Mos Millenium genuinely matter that much to you?

in WvW

Posted by: demetrodon.1457

demetrodon.1457

We (Elona) currently have a good coverage within EU-Ranking, still
there aren’t (and will never) enough off-time player to have full maps 24/7 for all servers and the scoring should take care of that by limiting the score you can get by the number of players playing.

Currentlly Piken and Kodash aren’t fighting worser than Elona during prime time, still the match is a very worse one. The only challenge is: Will we squeeze enough points out of them to stay ahead Vizunah and get gold or not?

That’s not good game design, that’s a bug.

Bah I thought you’re from Vabbi or something. This topic is kinda pointless. As you say, you’re from Elona and you have vast coverage, where were those when Vizunah dominated everything during the league ? Servers losing hard to Elona could be servers who don’t care for PPT, coverage and play for open field fights ? Who knows..or maybe intentionally falling.. Every server has it’s own tactics.

Ex [FURY] [PunK] [SOUL]
Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Dayra, I cannot fathom why you care about the medals so much. I could understand why one might be interested in placing in the top 3 of one’s league during the Wvw seasons, but who really cares about the off-season results?

In this thread the topic is scoring. Scoring happen equally in leagues and in ranking games. If you make it more meaningful for one thing you make it more meaningful for the other. I can repeat it for you a 4th time: I want to improve scoring, to get better balanced matches (match-making is based on ranking, which is based on scoring, there cannot be a good match-making if the scoring is nonsense) not to get more or easier gold-medals.

But I also do not see any matter why a league result should be more or less meaningful than a ranking result. Sounds to me like saying: Pokal is more important than Bundesliga.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Jaxs.5830

Jaxs.5830

This thread was hugely successful in that nikitnq never posted on the forums again.

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

OMG, just shut the kitten up about coverage already.

So, if your Primetime crew can queue 2 maps, and the opposing server can only queue 1 map, does that mean your coverage should be nerfed as well? Should it not count?

Geez, if your server doesn’t have 24/7 coverage, then welcome to the majority of servers. We all have strengths and weaknesses. That is just how life is, as well as the game.

Man, I am tired of this coverage talk.

the reality is 24/7 Coverage is 100% fair. Just because some servers have better populations than others at certain times, doesn’t make the 24/7 coverage unfair.

This coverage talk is annoying.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Fair? Any method that is applied equally to all is fair. The current as well as all of the proposed.

But not every method leads to better balanced and more competitive matches.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Burpengary.5160

Burpengary.5160

I am confused but being Irish you have to expect that. Week after week we read this and variations of this thread. I admire the effort the OP and others have put into this but it is all just plain stupid.

I am in Australia and play on Yaks bend and proud to do so. We fight with what we can with the numbers we have. Often a lot fewer than you would imagine. I play mostly NA prime plus Oceanic and some of SEA. My ping is terrible but hey that’s one of the small downsides to living here. I could play on EU and be a night capper with no difference in ping. I do not play SPVP or PVE.

Just because a servers location is EU or Stateside does not make them exclusive to those zones. Whether you are in The States or Europe prime time covers a lot of time zones. When does prime time start and what time does it finish.

The coverage wars has always been an issue you just need to look at the recruitment threads for that. Mass movement mainly upwards has affected the game more than anything. I have not seen a queue since season 1 finished. Look at our old adversaries Emery Bay this week after loosing players to SoS. People have to realize that we have done this ourselves and now we complain. The truth is T1 and T2 will eventually be where wvw is at and anywhere else a ghost town unless some love is given to WVW

10-15 yaks would fight the mass hoard of kaineng night after night during SEA prime. The last stand at garri and we often defeated them. Not as far as ppt but we wiped them over and over. Sad to see them where they are now. I had more fun then than the karma train of today with little defence or holding anything.

This is a 24 hour game and I have to accept that and continue to fight with what we have. If you lack numbers try and get them. If you cant get them fight hard and know you did you best. Winning isn’t everything and we do this for the comradeship and most of all for FUN.

Enough I need some bags and I have plenty of SBI to get them from good luck everyone

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Just because a servers location is EU or Stateside does not make them exclusive to those zones. Whether you are in The States or Europe prime time covers a lot of time zones. When does prime time start and what time does it finish.

One of the advantages of my proposals is, that it does not need this distinction to be made.

But to give you my favored one (but feel free to choose another, none has an influence on my repair proposals):
- prime-time of a match is when there are 695+ player in the match, i.e. in the current scoring system each single player worth 1 to 0.69 score points.
- off-time of a match is when there are 695- player in the match, i.e. in the current scoring system each player is worth 1 to 695 score points.

I propose only that every player in every match at every time is worth 1 score point, that he can fight to earn for his world.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

What if earned score points would be scaled to the total players on the map.
By that I mean: If Server A has 100 players and B 10 Players, each player on A server can only earn 1 point, while server B 10 points.

That or just completely remove the score. No more drama.

in WvW

Solstice.1097

I’ll say it agaiiiiiiin:

Make kills a bigger part of the score!!!!

Then high-pop times contribute more score. More people playing = more points flying up to the scoreboard. 50% of the score is now kills. 10-15% is dolyaks and sentries. the other 35-40% is PPT so if someone is night-capping your PPT it doesn’t mean it’s going to win them the match. It might, though

in WvW

Posted by: moca.5129

moca.5129

What if the scoreboard was changed somewhat? Instead of seeing only the score from map objectives, you would see an overall score for that particular 15-minute period, including dolyak kills and points gained through the bloodlust buff, and at the end of the tick each side would get 3, 2 or 1 point based on their score during those 15 minutes. The ultimate result of the match would be the sum of only those points given at the end of each 15-minute period. You would basically have a separate score for the whole match and the one for the current tick. It would keep WvW a 24/7 war where coverage and numbers matter, but it would make it impossible for off-peak forces to dictate the match by accumulating a huge advantage when there’s little opposition.

in WvW

Solstice.1097

What if the scoreboard was changed somewhat? Instead of seeing only the score from map objectives, you would see an overall score for that particular 15-minute period, including dolyak kills and points gained through the bloodlust buff, and at the end of the tick each side would get 3, 2 or 1 point based on their score during those 15 minutes. The ultimate result of the match would be the sum of only those points given at the end of each 15-minute period. You would basically have a separate score for the whole match and the one for the current tick. It would keep WvW a 24/7 war where coverage and numbers matter, but it would make it impossible for off-peak forces to dictate the match by accumulating a huge advantage when there’s little opposition.

your whole post sounds like just a change to how the score is displayed, until the last sentence then you lost me.

in WvW

Posted by: Bao Lin Nda.1042

Bao Lin Nda.1042

What about filling the map with NPC running with the blue lamp(s) and scaling the guards level to equal the population? If an 80 man blob can finish (now) a champ in a few seconds and break immediately any door with douzens of omegas – that’s PvD at its best but not PvP or even WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

Anet will never fix this issue because fairweathers will always pay them to transfer their own way out of trouble.

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

I am confused but being Irish you have to expect that. Week after week we read this and variations of this thread. I admire the effort the OP and others have put into this but it is all just plain stupid.

I am in Australia and play on Yaks bend and proud to do so. We fight with what we can with the numbers we have. Often a lot fewer than you would imagine. I play mostly NA prime plus Oceanic and some of SEA. My ping is terrible but hey that’s one of the small downsides to living here. I could play on EU and be a night capper with no difference in ping. I do not play SPVP or PVE.

The coverage wars has always been an issue you just need to look at the recruitment threads for that. Mass movement mainly upwards has affected the game more than anything. I have not seen a queue since season 1 finished. Look at our old adversaries Emery Bay this week after loosing players to SoS. People have to realize that we have done this ourselves and now we complain. The truth is T1 and T2 will eventually be where wvw is at and anywhere else a ghost town unless some love is given to WVW

10-15 yaks would fight the mass hoard of kaineng night after night during SEA prime. The last stand at garri and we often defeated them. Not as far as ppt but we wiped them over and over. Sad to see them where they are now. I had more fun then than the karma train of today with little defence or holding anything.

This is a 24 hour game and I have to accept that and continue to fight with what we have. If you lack numbers try and get them. If you cant get them fight hard and know you did you best. Winning isn’t everything and we do this for the comradeship and most of all for FUN.

Enough I need some bags and I have plenty of SBI to get them from good luck everyone

This post is spot on.

Plus there are 24 time zones in the world. Even trying to just use the NA ones for NA still leaves huge gaps in coverage (remember, Alaska, and Hawaii have their own time zones as well). Do we leave out the time zones of our soldiers stationed over sea? Those time zones are the same as our much maligned SEA / OCX players. Also, what about all our citizens that are overseas as teachers? What about South America? Brazil even has different time zones (or zone) than America.

I respect all the players in each time zone, and if we get beat cause one time zone has more coverage than ours, so be it.

in WvW

Solstice.1097

We do not need to nerf “coverage”

We need to BUFF player impact.

I’ve already said it about 25x but I’ll say it 10,000 and it will be no less true.

MOAR POINTS FOR KILLS!!!

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

I’ve already said it about 25x but I’ll say it 10,000 and it will be no less true.

MOAR POINTS FOR KILLS!!!

So, what will more points for kills accomplish? If server A has better offtime coverage, then server A will have more kills than server B and server C.

Also, the people who hate zergs will not agree with this as well.

in WvW

Solstice.1097

MOAR POINTS FOR KILLS!!!

So, what will more points for kills accomplish? If server A has better offtime coverage, then server A will have more kills than server B and server C.

Also, the people who hate zergs will not agree with this as well.

It will accomplish making the off-hours less of a contributing factor to overall score. Meaning more points will be scored when more people are playing. I don’t see how this is confusing.

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Am yet to c anyone mention anything about servers with no “prime time” coverage. All these proposals would hurt a prime time server probably more than it would the not prime time server.

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Plus there are 24 time zones in the world. Even trying to just use the NA ones for NA still leaves huge gaps in coverage (remember, Alaska, and Hawaii have their own time zones as well). Do we leave out the time zones of our soldiers stationed over sea? Those time zones are the same as our much maligned SEA / OCX players. Also, what about all our citizens that are overseas as teachers? What about South America? Brazil even has different time zones (or zone) than America.

I respect all the players in each time zone, and if we get beat cause one time zone has more coverage than ours, so be it.

Did you saw a reference to timezones?

Many people play in a match => many points
A few play in a match => few points
is how it should be!

And not how it currently is: The fewer play they higher the score.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

moca.5129

your whole post sounds like just a change to how the score is displayed, until the last sentence then you lost me.

Guess I wasn’t very clear then. Just wanted to avoid a wall of text.

Here’s an example of what I mean. Let’s say server A has 240 points from towers, keeps etc. at the end of a tick, but they also scored another 30 points from dolyak kills and 200 from player stomps in that 15 minute timeframe as well (just coming up with random numbers for the sake of explaining here, I have no idea what the usual numbers of dolyak kills and player stomps are during one tick). They would have scored a total of 470 points in that time. Server B’s overall score during that time was for example 400 and server C’s score was 390.

Based on those numbers, A would get 3 points at that 15 minute mark, B would get 2 and C would end up with 1. Those would go to that separate score I mentioned in my first post, which is the one that decides the outcome of the match. So if the case just described was the actual start of the match, A would be leading the matchup with 3 points, B would be behind with 2 and C would be last with 1.

The tick score would then be refreshed, but the servers would still keep their towers, camps, keeps etc. and the upgrades they had. So server A would start the next tick with 240 points from the objectives they hold. That particular part of the score could go up or down in the next 15 minutes, just as it does now, but the dolyak kills and stomps would accumulate until the next 15 minute mark, when each server would again receive 3, 2 and 1 point based on their performance in the past 15 minutes. So if A scores 380 this time, B pushes up to 420 and C gets 350, A would gain 2 points, B would get 3 and C 1, bringing the match score to A-5 B-5 C-2. Rinse, repeat.

I’m not saying that this would completely solve the coverage or balance issues with matchups, but it seems like it would make it impossible for 40 or 50 people to decide the matchup by creating a huge point gap at times when there is little to no opposition. It would make your prime time, who are giving their all to win each tick by just a few points, just as important as your night or morning crews, who might be winning or losing by a mile, which seems to me to be the OP’s main issue with coverage domination. Coverage would still play a big part, but the whole WvW effort of a server would be a slow and steady push to the finish line shared equally by its whole WvW community instead of being carried by one small part of your force which just busts down a lot of doors every night.

Hope this makes the whole idea a bit clearer.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

In short the winner of the tick gets 3 the second 2 and the looser of the tick gets 1, who won the most ticks won the match?

Isn’t this an even worser relation between manpower playing in ticks and tick/match-result?

Edit: Ok, that way, it doesn’t matter how dominant you are in a tick, and the main problem of off-time is: the dominance is much more imbalanced. Yeah that would help as well.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

moca.5129

In short the winner of the tick gets 3 the second 2 and the looser of the tick gets 1, who won the most ticks won the match?

Isn’t this an even worser relation between manpower playing in ticks and tick/match-result?

My bad then, I must have misunderstood your starting post. I thought your problem with the way things worked was essentially that a server could be losing by a small score difference most of the day, but then push during off-peak with a small force when there are few opponents around to catch up and create a big point gap, which ruined the balance of the matchup and made the efforts of that small off-peak force far more important than those of the rest of the WvW community on that server.

The idea I described makes that impossible, since each tick would result in only 1 or 2 points of advantage or disadvantage regardless of the score gaps during the past 15 minutes. In other words, winning a tick by 5 or 500 points would make no difference, so if you were able to beat your opponents by a small margin for 4 hours in prime time, it would count as much as one of the other servers completely dominating off-peak for 4 hours and beating down those pesky doors.

As I’ve said already, this keeps coverage as an important factor, but makes it impossible to decide an otherwise fairly balanced match by completely dominating a small period of the day when there’s little opposition.

On the other hand, if a server is losing most of the day and then loses even worse during the night or early morning, I see no reason to use any kind of math to force a close score. People have said it here plenty of times, WvW is in essence a 24/7 war.

in WvW

Posted by: BLACKACE.2701

BLACKACE.2701

First of all, i dont think outnumbered buff has place to exist. And I propose a dynamic population limits across worlds based on the lowest population. E.g. server A has 10 ppl on a map, server B and server C must have limits about 15 ppl each on it. That still means possibility of 30 vs 10, but not likely 100vs10 now. And let populated server players moving to less populated ones from queuing.

How you think about it depend on what your seek from WvWvW. A balanced with tension fight or Easy pick of loot, karma and wvw xp. And what time zone you are at?

For my proposal….seems impossible…..as official development going the direction to hold as many as people on WvWvW. It means people almost moving to higher tier servers, no initiative to moving lower tier servers. Whose benefit by killing lower rank servers? You official?

(edited by BLACKACE.2701)