Perfect 5 man team; a discussion

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

1. S/F ele for might stacking and high AoE burst
  2. Guardian as anchor
  3. DPS Mesmer for Mass Invis, quick escapes with portal
  4. Thief; sustained damage sword build – stun lock & chase
  5. Tanky/control role, pick your poison (D/D bunker ele, Hambow regen warrior, Ham/Healway Guard, etc.)

in WvW

Posted by: Mysteriax.6049

Mysteriax.6049

Aww man, no engineer! A lot of people think engineer is a bad roaming class, but I disagree. The engineer is very versatile and can face off against lots of classes and builds.

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Moon.6371

Moon.6371

@ Straegen:

My guild is roaming since pre-release and we haven`t met a roaming guild in 2-3k hours of wvw that can manage to beat us in open field with equal numbers. I`m talking EU.

You have absolutely no clue about roaming, dude. PVT for roaming, seriously? I`ll explain why it doens`t work: Your PVT group will hit like a wet noodle and have so little mobility that your fights will take forever, your impact is too low to focus down decent opponents, which means reinforcements will overwhelm you before you can manage to take down the initial wave of targets. You will die veeeery slowly, thats right. But a slow death is still a death. Try to disengage and kite with a 5 man consisting of PVT shout warrior, tank guard and the likes.

RG is completely lost when it comes to fights below 20+. Have you faced them? I did, multiple times. You´re a funny little guy, gotta give you that. But giving RG as an example for quality roaming disqualifies your input instantly, sorry. They have perfected the pain train, but roaming is another caliber, completely. Your healing ball philosophy doesn`t work for roaming and gets destroyed with ease by groups like ours because they have to move in a ball to make the healing power effective which is not what you want as a roamer facing larger numbers. Kiting is key.

Support melee ranger with shout for perma regen, perma swiftness and high uptime of prot and fury for the entire group is invaluable, additionally the ranger provides sustained area damage and pindown via root. Another issue is that the ranger is a kiting machine. So even going full support he is a pain to kill due to multiple evades and leaps.

A shout warrior for 5 man roaming on the other hand is just a big, fat peace of meat that has almost no impact at all and will get focused down by decent opponents with ease.

To me it seems, you guys just haven`t met a good ranger… but they`re a rare breed in wvw, gotta give you that.

Best regards

[Buka] Koma Grey
[Buka] Mojo Monkey Man
Kodash

(edited by Moon.6371)

in WvW

Posted by: Nubu.6148

Nubu.6148

For me the best setup is :
Ele <—- Damage support
Guardian <—— Full support
Mesmer <——- Full damage
Ranger ( Only if he knows how to play) / Warrior<—- CC/Damage (support)
insert Ele / Guardian / Engie here.

Nubú -Engie -Asura-
BNF-Bitte nicht füttern-
Smallscale <3 !

in WvW

Posted by: Moon.6371

Moon.6371

No love for necro, Nubu?

[Buka] Koma Grey
[Buka] Mojo Monkey Man
Kodash

in WvW

Posted by: borrok.9267

borrok.9267

Aww man, no engineer! A lot of people think engineer is a bad roaming class, but I disagree. The engineer is very versatile and can face off against lots of classes and builds.

It definitely is a very good roaming class.

Teef master race

in WvW

Posted by: borrok.9267

borrok.9267

Necro
Necro
Necro
Necro
Necro

=D

Teef master race

in WvW

Posted by: Nubu.6148

Nubu.6148

@ Moon , i do love necors !! The problem is , if u pick up a necro it must be a very very good player. Necro is always 1st target . .

Nubú -Engie -Asura-
BNF-Bitte nicht füttern-
Smallscale <3 !

in WvW

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

5 Mesmers all have mass invis

1. Mass invis
2. call illusion berserker at the same target = instant down
3. all chaos storm on down target
4. Mass invis and so on…

Mesmers are superb for dueling and 1 vs 1 fights -not so hot for roaming due they are very mobile in fights but their pace outside combat is slow, as happens with other classes as Guardians and Necros-. But in group fights they scale poorly -the more people involved, the less convenient is adding new Mesmers- due the combined AoE damage of the enemy players will melt those clones/phantasms due the not-functional A.I.

If riding some Mesmers (3-5 of them) nuking everything in their path were as effective then it would be a constant in WvW roaming or even in sPvP. What we have, instead, are more diversity in grups but with a dominat role from heavy armor users as long as the scale goes further in the number of members.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

My guild is roaming since pre-release and we haven`t met a roaming guild in 2-3k hours of wvw that can manage to beat us in open field with equal numbers. I`m talking EU.

I will choose to disregard the insults as trolling since you are STILL listing a Ranger in your perfect 5 man despite no dueling guild worth their salt in WvW that I have seen using one.

If you look at my perfect 5 man, warriors are only part of it and mainly there for control, pressure, banners and limited support. Spike DPS is left to other classes.

I would point out again that Ranger shouts are horrible compared to Warriors/Guardians, Ranger spirits melt under AoE and Rangers have few cross class abilities. They simply do not compliment a small team as well as most other classes.

As for your high horse, I too have played GW2 since beta and have logged well over 500 hours on my Ranger in WvW play with a variety of builds. I have played fully geared and leveled Ranger, Thief and Warrior extensively in WvW (over 300 hours on each) as well as fully geared and leveld Guardian, Elementalist and Necro (over 50 hours of WvW on each). I am currently bringing up a Mesmer for WvW play and engi is on my list just after. I am past 2k hours most of which (at least 90%) is WvW play and a staggering amount of that is roaming/skirmish play.

5x good players running what they’re good with.

This is a good start but once a group hits 5+ overlapping skills become VERY important. Keeping 25 stacks of might, perma swiftness, gap closers, etc are big game changers. A solid group of skilled players will do well but when they run up against a team that overlaps their class mechanics and have equal skill they will get crushed.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in WvW

Posted by: Brode.7689

Brode.7689

Shout rangers are horrible. They’re spending half their time casting the shout which also stops their pet from doing damage. (if it is even helping in the first place)

I could go on about how bad rangers are for 5 man roaming, but that’s for the ranger forums.

This is not Tricare, he is suspended from life.

in WvW

Mysteriax.6049

I am glad someone agrees with me!

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Big difference between a roaming build/class and a 5 man team. Great 5 man teams have a ton of ability overlap with fields, finishers, group buffs, group heals, etc. Engis are powerful particularly condi-bunker specs, but they don’t have the overlap that makes for a great group dynamic.

A perfect 5 man should be able to continually remove conditions from the entire group, constantly heal the group, drop tons of control, strip boons, setup fields, rapidly fire off finishers, have a massive amount of spike DPS and keep boons up at all times. In an ideal setting, this would happen on the move with few needs to stop. Every member should be contributing to multiple parts of this system. When it is running well it should take twice the numbers or more to bring them down. Engis are just no specialized enough for this in my opinion. They can be potent but wouldn’t make my perfect team list.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Aura Share d/d Ele
Thief
Mesmer
Guardian
Engi or Necro

I don’t really feel that warriors have a place in small scale roaming. While they are good at solo roaming, their support abilities are a bit lacking for a 5 man team, and their damage can be done by a thief. I feel that rangers don’t really make sense either if you have a mesmer and a guardian.

Engi for self blasted waterfield to reset a fight as well as for grenade condi pressure. Replace with necro if you’re really confident of survival or you have a really good guardian with you.

Thief for sustained damage and stealth spikes

Mesmer for backline burst damage

Guardian for party boons

D/D ele for a mix of everything + spike damage

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Straegen.2938

I don’t really feel that warriors have a place in small scale roaming. While they are good at solo roaming, their support abilities are a bit lacking for a 5 man team, and their damage can be done by a thief. I feel that rangers don’t really make sense either if you have a mesmer and a guardian.

Warriors are actually one of the stronger support classes in the game. They offer group heals, have group condi removal, spamable crowd control, lots of group buffs and Battle Standard is a great team elite. Warriors even come in a hard as hell to bring down package with great sustained DPS. The missing ingredient for a warrior is utility which is why other classes are splashed in to fill this role. IMO the warrior is the backbone of a solid 5 man team.

Just my opinion though. I would also add a 5 man should never have a backline. As soon as one splits from the flock they become too easily targeted and receive no group support. When we see one split from their group, we immediately DPS them.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Terravos.4059

Terravos.4059

What is the 5 man going to be fighting?

Other 5 mans or zergs?

Cause against other 5 mans or slightly more then that I’d recommend a Venom Aura Thief over a Spirit Ranger.

i did laugh at the whole Ranger being squishy part though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Xsorus – Ranger PvP movies Creator of the BM Bunker

in WvW

Posted by: Darek.1836

Darek.1836

Big difference between a roaming build/class and a 5 man team. Great 5 man teams have a ton of ability overlap with fields, finishers, group buffs, group heals, etc. Engis are powerful particularly condi-bunker specs, but they don’t have the overlap that makes for a great group dynamic.

A perfect 5 man should be able to continually remove conditions from the entire group, constantly heal the group, drop tons of control, strip boons, setup fields, rapidly fire off finishers, have a massive amount of spike DPS and keep boons up at all times. In an ideal setting, this would happen on the move with few needs to stop. Every member should be contributing to multiple parts of this system. When it is running well it should take twice the numbers or more to bring them down. Engis are just no specialized enough for this in my opinion. They can be potent but wouldn’t make my perfect team list.

So constant fire fields, smoke fields, and water fields (which only rangers can bring otherwise [which suck]) are apparently not good group dynamics. They also bring the most aoe condi pressure in the game. Smoke field alone is a stomp right there.. but why would they be stomping if they’re applying more condis to the enemy than is even remotely possible to remove? They’ve also got about 5 different slows including about 3 CC skills which would also apply confusion btw. Perhaps those other things you listed would be done by the OTHER 4 players? I mean this is a 5 man afterall… we don’t need all 5 players doing all 5 roles.

Holy
Sharks With Lazers [PEW]

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Shout rangers are horrible. They’re spending half their time casting the shout which also stops their pet from doing damage. (if it is even helping in the first place)

I could go on about how bad rangers are for 5 man roaming, but that’s for the ranger forums.

Sorry mate, but you obviously have zero experience on how to use shouts on a ranger. Iv’e been using them since… August/September and i can tell you, that in worst case, you have 0.5s “lag” between using the shout and the pet being back on track. You seriously need to learn how to manage your pet and how the ranger mechanics works.

Sorry dude, but in the end, it boils down to experience.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in WvW

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

wars and guards end thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7ktc2MHqs

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Straegen.2938

So constant fire fields, smoke fields, and water fields (which only rangers can bring otherwise [which suck]) are apparently not good group dynamics. They also bring the most aoe condi pressure in the game. Smoke field alone is a stomp right there.. but why would they be stomping if they’re applying more condis to the enemy than is even remotely possible to remove? They’ve also got about 5 different slows including about 3 CC skills which would also apply confusion btw. Perhaps those other things you listed would be done by the OTHER 4 players? I mean this is a 5 man afterall… we don’t need all 5 players doing all 5 roles.

Staff eles bring better fire and water fields. Eles also come with the out of combat lightning field and IMO their field delivery is better than Engi. IMO water fields in 5 mans are overrated, but that certainly is opinion.

They do offer AoE condi pressure but I don’t think it is the best in the game. Necros can bring strong condition delivering and strip boons in the process. They can also seed conditions much faster across a group of enemies. Corrupt Boon and Epidemic are two of the best condition delivery devices in the game.

Selecting a position on a “perfect 5 man” isn’t about an individual doing a lot well, it is about covering other classes/builds by elevating the team with group skills which IMO the engi is lacking and filling in the holes both offensively or defensively. IMO there is nothing the engi does that another class is just as good at while bringing more group skills or filling more voids. Engi is a jack of all trades master of none… again IMO. It is also a more complex beast to master.

This isn’t a knock on the class as no class is meant to be all things but I simply haven’t seen many engis in GvG duels or stacked with many skill groups.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Sorry mate, but you obviously have zero experience on how to use shouts on a ranger. Iv’e been using them since… August/September and i can tell you, that in worst case, you have 0.5s “lag” between using the shout and the pet being back on track. You seriously need to learn how to manage your pet and how the ranger mechanics works.

Ranger shouts revolve around the pet which is mostly a joke in team play contrary to the ranger-philes who believe otherwise. Even if a Ranger can make a pet less than useless, the shouts are pathetic compared to Warrior and Guardian shouts. I would take Stand Your Ground or Shake It Off over all the Ranger Shouts.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

vincecontix.1264

2 wars, 2 guards, +1 of anything else, Though good players can play anything a still be successful vs larger group of bads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7ktc2MHqs end thread.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Avatar of Belle.9623

…..staff ele? If you are a serious roamer, you do not roam on staff.

Threnody of Belle – Necromancer and PvE Carebear (24,500 achievement points)
Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Spirit Ranger, eh?

I can’t count the number of times a Spirit Ranger owned me in WvW, mainly because a Spirit Ranger as never been a contender in tier 1 WvW. Their Spirits are Cloak-and-Dagger fodder, at best, and they lack any sort of utility to escape or put pressure on me. At worst, they’re a minor annoyance, plucking away at their bow or swinging their sword merrily.

Concerning Warriors, Warriors present the biggest problem in my tier. Either they’re a balanced DPS build or full PVT; either way they present a problem. They can put on a lot of pressure solo in any spec, but if they’re backed by a team they can serve as an anchor. Underestimating a tier 1 Warrior is a big mistake!

Frankly, Prysin, I see your comp as lacking and misleading. Spirit Rangers are strong in sPvP, but they’re best left out of WvW.

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Straegen.2938

This thread isn’t about roaming… it is about team builds. While I wouldn’t have a staff ele in my “perfect team” they work just fine in team builds particularly those centered around stacking, buffing and charging. As for solo roaming, you are right… a staff ele caught in the open alone is a free kill.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Brode.7689

I’ve played ranger since pre-launch and have tried every spec. Ranger is garbage for group fights when you have more than 2 people on your team.

The only way I will agree that a ranger is good, is for small scale roaming. I’m talking 2vX or solo. Also, you have to be condition-regen build and run with a condition necro.

Also, the ‘manage your pet part’ rofl the pet AI is garbage. The pet AI is the reason I stopped playing ranger, no matter how much you think you’re controlling your pet, it will get around to doing your f2 command when it wants.

in WvW

This thread isn’t about roaming… it is about team builds. While I wouldn’t have a staff ele in my “perfect team” they work just fine in team builds particularly those centered around stacking, buffing and charging. As for solo roaming, you are right… a staff ele caught in the open alone is a free kill.

I really imagine a 5 man team build to be a havoc/roaming squad. What other purpose do they serve?

Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

Prysin.8542

Ranger shouts revolve around the pet which is mostly a joke in team play contrary to the ranger-philes who believe otherwise. Even if a Ranger can make a pet less than useless, the shouts are pathetic compared to Warrior and Guardian shouts. I would take Stand Your Ground or Shake It Off over all the Ranger Shouts.

i do not disagree that other professions got better shouts. Ever since they nerfed Search and Rescue, removing the ability to ress downed players, no shouts have been great. However the added FUNCTION given to the shouts through Natures Voice and Superior Rune of the Solider does make them useful, due to the ability to keep both the pet alive with it (protection) but also as it gives allies swiftness, regeneration and cleanses conditions. Now there is only 3 professions with shouts; Ranger, Guardian and Warrior. Out of the three professions, ranger IS the one in need of the most work, overall to become well balanced.

Now, again, it IS a l2p issue. As all you need to do, is manage your pet. Now personally, i am no super skilled ranger, however, even the average ranger can manage those pets to an extent that let them live.
A zerg is one thing, the AOE dished out in a 5v5 or 5v10 will never get close to a zerg’s output, unless your enemy brings 10 necromancers

in WvW

Posted by: Gully.7358

Gully.7358

Depends on your playstyle, your ability to adjust and your ability figure out what’s going on. Most 5 man groups that get put together on forums will get blown up most of the time because your thinking the cookie cutter ways.

Veretta • Guildleader of [oPP] Over Powered PeopleBlackgate
http://www.gw2opp.comhttp://www.youtube.com/user/oppveretta

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

2 wars, 2 guards, +1 of anything else, Though good players can play anything a still be successful vs larger group of bads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7ktc2MHqs end thread.

These guys are running with way more than five.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

in WvW

Brode.7689

Haha yeah, don’t think this thread is “What 5 man group to run in a 20 man group”

in WvW

Mysteriax.6049

Good point man. I was getting a bit mixed up. Being an EB commander, I don’t do a lot of roaming or 5 man roaming.

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Kayzi.9752

Kayzi.9752

I think well necros are really being overlooked. As a recent example, here’s a clip from two days ago:

Organized 5v5s we use a different setup.

Stalagta Team Faded – tM
NSP!

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Best roaming teams are the troll teams…

5 mesmers = win
5 thieves with daggerstorm = win
5 wars = win
5 necros = win
5 engies with bombs/nades = win

A good real comp I personally find works well though is:
Shout heal warrior with rez banner
Hybrid D/D ele with aura’s
Semi DPS guardian with hammer and GS
Mesmer
Thief

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

vincecontix.1264

Yea Know that but I was just using it as an example of war+guard comp versing absolutely ridiculous numbers. Instead of 5v10+ there are like 10-15v30+. 2 war+2guard +1 of anything (prob necro) = win.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

Yea Know that but I was just using it as an example of war+guard comp versing absolutely ridiculous numbers. Instead of 5v10+ there are like 10-15v30+. 2 war+2guard +1 of anything (prob necro) = win.

Melee focus training isn’t nearly as effective 5v5 as it is for 10v10 or more. I’m strictly talking about the standard PVT warriors and guardians you see from larger groups though. They don’t do as well in 5v5s since their damage is pretty weak.

And, I notice that the warrior in the movie is DPS double axes but I’m sure the main core of their warriors and guardians (which are allowing them to fight those numbers) are PVT.

That playstyle just doesn’t translate over well to smaller scale fights. I’m just speaking from my own personal experiences though, I’m sure there are exceptions.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

(edited by Oozo.7856)

in WvW

Prysin.8542

I think well necros are really being overlooked. As a recent example, here’s a clip from two days ago:

actually, in small parties, i find necros less likely to survive. Currently, they possess a huge threat, and are they are incredibly slow both in combat and outside of it. Therefore, i find it very likely that they will get killed fast.
This is why i would prefer an engineer over a necro in a 5 man group. While not as strong, the engineer can provide very heavy condition AOE pressure, while being an infinitely more slippery.

If we were to increase the size to 15 man party, i would being 2-3 necros, as they would have sufficient “meatshield” cover to hide behind.
If you plan to bring necros, i’d say you’d need one extra guardian pr necro. up till a 10 man team. Just to keep the necro from being CC’d and bursted by the first hammer warrior you see.

in WvW

Prysin.8542

Depends on your playstyle, your ability to adjust and your ability figure out what’s going on. Most 5 man groups that get put together on forums will get blown up most of the time because your thinking the cookie cutter ways.

i believe this is mostly due to people having multiple lvl 80’s, thinking that “oh, ok so a mix of X,Y, Z profession is said to be the winning combo? lets roll with that”. Then say 2-3 of the group members roll a profession they do get by with in a zerg/solo setting, but they are far from good at their chosen professions. They meet say 2-3 skilled players, heck for all it matters they would wipe against 2 zerker bearbow rangers. Truth is, you stick with what you can play. I play a Ranger. I have done so for about 1100 hours now, and this ain’t my first rodeo. However unlike many others, i do have a slight insight in how game design works and i am a quick learner. Therefore i have an easy time learning the ropes fast. So while others may boast a service time in excess of 3000 hours on their rangers, i still do not believe they are THAT much better then myself in general play. This is why i can say with certainty that i KNOW how the ranger performs, at all levels. I know what i can do, i know what i cannot do. I used to have a warrior and necro (deleted), still got a thief, mesmer, guardian, engineer and elementalist, however whenever i play these, i realize something.
Thief is pidgeonholed into very few roles, that generally adds up being the same thing
Engineer is a pain to play
Guardian is all about support, and trying to go solo anything with it has varying results
Ele is fun, easy to play, actually it is ridiculously easy to play, especially since i mained a ranger for 600 hours before even making the ele.
Mesmer, i just dont get it. I can use the portals, the veils, i can shatter stuff in peoples faces and thats how far i can take it.

Now, some people play the ranger as a “Archer”, and if you do, you die. Not because the ranger is weak as an archer, but because the other professions got some amazing gap closers, and you cannot create or maintain those gaps without putting in serious effort.
I won’t argue that some of you have tried a ranger, some of you may have played it for thousand(s) of hours, but there is a difference between playing, and actively seeking to master every aspect of something.

If we are to discuss cookie cutter setups, we could remove all warriors. Because they themselves are cookie cutter as is. Too much of everything, yet it is heading towards where rangers is. Being overly versatile to the point where you spec for everything and try to do everything but get wiped. The reason you get wiped is not because you are weak, it is because the build is weak.

in WvW

vincecontix.1264

Melee focus training isn’t nearly as effective 5v5 as it is for 10v10 or more. I’m strictly talking about the standard PVT warriors and guardians you see from larger groups though. They don’t do as well in 5v5s since their damage is pretty weak.

And, I notice that the warrior in the movie is DPS double axes but I’m sure the main core of their warriors and guardians (which are allowing them to fight those numbers) are PVT.

That playstyle just doesn’t translate over well to smaller scale fights. I’m just speaking from my own personal experiences though, I’m sure there are exceptions.

I have seen predominantly war/guard groups have great success. The thing with wars are they don’t need to run pvt gear to be tanky.

A war in full zerker armor can have 3.2k attack, 3.2k armor 60% crit chance(with furry) 89+ crit dmg 22.5k vit, great regen via hs and great mobility. Now combine a war with those stats with a boon heavy guard and it no surprise why they are so strong together.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Prysin.8542

3.2k attack, 3.2k armor 60% crit chance(with furry)

oh, sorry, but that furry (pet) doesn’t listen to warriors. Only rangers

in WvW

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

no decent guild or player runs what you think ‘pvt’ is.

you are correct in that it’s only possible for that particular warrior to run a high dps build only because he has the team support of the other warriors and guardians, but incorrect in assuming they are running any or all pvt.

in WvW

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Warriors have the ability to stat offensively but trait defensively, making them surprisingly dangerous.

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

actually, in small parties, i find necros less likely to survive. Currently, they possess a huge threat, and are they are incredibly slow both in combat and outside of it. Therefore, i find it very likely that they will get killed fast.
This is why i would prefer an engineer over a necro in a 5 man group. While not as strong, the engineer can provide very heavy condition AOE pressure, while being an infinitely more slippery.

If we were to increase the size to 15 man party, i would being 2-3 necros, as they would have sufficient “meatshield” cover to hide behind.
If you plan to bring necros, i’d say you’d need one extra guardian pr necro. up till a 10 man team. Just to keep the necro from being CC’d and bursted by the first hammer warrior you see.

Do you run with bad necros? There’s no threat if there is 1 hammer warrior. There is a problem is there are two hammer warriors focused on me since I don’t have enough dodges. 1v1, I win against most hammer warriors. In group fights, I only lose if I’m already at low health. If I have enough life force or regular health to facetank them (as Anet says necros should do), I win.

The main problem I have is people see necro and target me first.

Maguuma
#allisvain

in WvW

Posted by: Boulderbolg.3460

Boulderbolg.3460

2 guards, 2 mezzes, 1 engy.. game over.

GL for Team Riot [RIOT] on Blackgate NA – Small Group WvW Focused
http://teamriot.org/riot-media/videos/http://www.twitch.tv/teamriottv

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Aura Share d/d Ele

Prior to the Aura share nerf, you would be absolutely correct. The range on Aura Share is too pathetic now and isn’t worth traiting IMO.

I have seen predominantly war/guard groups have great success. The thing with wars are they don’t need to run pvt gear to be tanky.

Keep in mind this isn’t just GvG. 5 man teams are going to be running into 10+ man groups. A PVT warrior is mainly there to apply control pressure with Earthshaker, keep shouts up and banner when necessary. If every teammate is focused on damage, the explosive power is amazing but prolonged fights against superior numbers will turn against those teams. You need anchors to keep the pressure on and the team alive during the surges. You don’t want to overload a team with PVT or Clerics but you probably don’t want to avoid them either.

Problem with running 5 man is that slippery isn’t as useful. Players will want to stay stacked so they can cross heal/buff each other. The other problem is without a necro boon stripping is very difficult. Necros also have every bit the ability to apply group condition pressure that engis have. Corrupt Boon and Epidemic have few equals in team play and are frequently devastating.

2 guards, 2 mezzes, 1 engy.. game over.

Little boon striping, control is telegraphed, field deployment requires command of the battlefield and the mezzes are going to be easy targets when focused. Run into a team with necros and a lot of havoc is going to be created with this setup.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Acelerion.6820

Acelerion.6820

In the setup I posted a while back the shatter mez is your spike DPS and boon strip. A male train won’t put out big damage but they force stunbreaks and soak damage/attention.

Power/well necros are some nut balls damage but it takes a village to keep them up. I see them more viable in the 10-15 person group range but who wants to run that nonsense.

OINK – Devona’s Rest
Mesmer-Thief
http://www.youtube.com/user/Axcelerion?feature=watch – Small group videos

in WvW

Straegen.2938

In the setup I posted a while back the shatter mez is your spike DPS and boon strip. A male train won’t put out big damage but they force stunbreaks and soak damage/attention.

Clones don’t last long enough in my experience under heavy AoE fire. Mesmers without clones also become easy targets to take down when focused. I like them in gank squads but against skilled teams they tend to fall quickly. Certainly a debatable point though.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Acelerion.6820

Acelerion.6820

I would run pure shatter all the way, no phantasms.

Its been my experience that if people waste time chasing the mesmer around they get dropped. Too many stun breaks and stealth. The vulnerability would be to stray condi spam or something like a perplexity engi getting a lucky shot. youre forced to rely on others for condition clenses.

OINK – Devona’s Rest
Mesmer-Thief
http://www.youtube.com/user/Axcelerion?feature=watch – Small group videos

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Its been my experience that if people waste time chasing the mesmer around they get dropped. Too many stun breaks and stealth. The vulnerability would be to stray condi spam or something like a perplexity engi getting a lucky shot. youre forced to rely on others for condition clenses.

This is frequently true in small fights but in organized 5 man those that leave the flock get exploded. We stay together slicing through groups until we carve 1 or 2 away from the main group then we DPS them into the ground. Rinse wash and repeat until the enemy is all dead. Mesmers that rely on clones to survive outside of a stack cannot create clones fast enough. Clones in the stack don’t work well. This is just my experience though.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]