Stealth... moving slower?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Out of curiosity what would WvW fights look like if stealthed players moved half speed?

I have been playing a lot of stealth games lately and it seems the theme to them all is that stealth reduces movement. Could a slow moving mechanic attached to stealth make for better fights? Just asking.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Doug.4930

Doug.4930

In a word, no. You need to play thief to understand how difficult it is to land a back stab whilst even crippled. Movement reduced by 50%? No one would run a melee thief, it would be impracticable and pain full.

Thieves are already getting hit hard with the upcoming crit dmg nerf. This would make the class almost unplayable.

Doug The Unseen Of Homefront Defenders [HD]

Jade Quarry’s dedicated Roaming/Havoc Squad Guild

in WvW

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

In a word, no. You need to play thief to understand how difficult it is to land a back stab whilst even crippled. Movement reduced by 50%? No one would run a melee thief, it would be impracticable and pain full.

Thieves are already getting hit hard with the upcoming crit dmg nerf. This would make the class almost unplayable.

Because only thieves use crit damage.

You still have stealth spam crutch to keep you from being killed. You’ll be fine.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

in WvW

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

GW 2’s invisibility is easily the most ridiculously overpowered stealth system of any PvP-game I’ve ever played.

in WvW

Straegen.2938

I play a D/D thief… almost 1500 hours on that build alone. BS is easy to land just not always easy to land from behind but that is as it should be for such a massive damager that requires no init to pop.

Besides the hot roamer builds for both thieves and mesmers are condition builds that use stealth to avoid combat. The other significantly populated build is the D/P troll which stealths from range.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: geist.3980

geist.3980

thief has a trait that gives +50% movement rate as it is

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Out of curiosity what would WvW fights look like if stealthed players moved half speed?

I have been playing a lot of stealth games lately and it seems the theme to them all is that stealth reduces movement. Could a slow moving mechanic attached to stealth make for better fights? Just asking.

GW 2’s invisibility is easily the most ridiculously overpowered stealth system of any PvP-game I’ve ever played.

Both statements 100% accurate.

I went on record over a year ago stating there was no way anet…or any developer, would let something as broken as stealth continue as is …without a fix.

Obviously I was wrong. After watching the twitch feed last week and one of the devs showing the new pvp map ..while he was on his thief. He went on and on how the map was going to be a blast for thiefs with their teleports.

I get it now.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in WvW

Posted by: ryan.6217

ryan.6217

I went on record over a year ago stating there was no way anet…or any developer, would let something as broken as stealth continue as is …without a fix.

Obviously I was wrong. After watching the twitch feed last week and one of the devs showing the new pvp map ..while he was on his thief. He went on and on how the map was going to be a blast for thiefs with their teleports.

I get it now.

Hey, looks like you got a little offtrack in your last couple sentences. They didn’t seem to flow well with the rest of your comment. You see, in the sentence block above your last you stated that STEALTH was over powered and an issue, you also mentioned that you were upset that it had yet to be nerfed. After that you said, and here’s where you went wrong, “Obviously I was wrong.” This is a continuation technique. By stating this you meant to talk about how you were wrong about stealth, but then you just talked about teleporting. Interesting fact; Stealth and teleports are two totally different things! Wow! Learned something new didn’t you?

Essentially what you wanted to do was talk about how you hate thieves and all of their class mechanics were broken! Simple reworks in your paragraph structure can fix this. If you PM me i would be glad to help you revise so your comment has more flavor, structure, and usefulness!

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Because only thieves use crit damage.

You still have stealth spam crutch to keep you from being killed. You’ll be fine.

The burst thief(warrior too) uses several damage modifierss in order to hit the big numbers, moreso than most classes iirc. So theoretically the thief is hit harder by this crit damage change than some other classes.

Is it really a crutch when that’s the ONLY thing keeping thieves from being killed? A crutch would be something a class relies on heavily when without it they are still fine. However a thief without stealth is a free kill. I mean I fully get that the current stealth levels are incredibly poor design, but that’s basically what the thief class has to survive. If we are going to start calling main class pillars “crutches” then Mesmer clones, Elementalist attunements, Necro Deathshroud, etc are all crutches that those classes use to keep from being killed. I wish they would just learn to play…sounds stupid right?

in WvW

Posted by: Eloquence.5207

Eloquence.5207

Don’t be so dense. If stealth is tweaked (nerfed), other areas of the Thief will be upgraded.

As it stands, stealth is a convenient crutch for Thief and, to certain extent, Mesmer.

“L2P” according to pr0 Thieves
http://youtu.be/k0YDuSLXcX8?t=3m16s
See, Blinding Powder is nothing.

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

I get it now.

Hey, looks like you got a little offtrack in your last couple sentences. They didn’t seem to flow well with the rest of your comment. You see, in the sentence block above your last you stated that STEALTH was over powered and an issue, you also mentioned that you were upset that it had yet to be nerfed. After that you said, and here’s where you went wrong, “Obviously I was wrong.” This is a continuation technique. By stating this you meant to talk about how you were wrong about stealth, but then you just talked about teleporting. Interesting fact; Stealth and teleports are two totally different things! Wow! Learned something new didn’t you?

Essentially what you wanted to do was talk about how you hate thieves and all of their class mechanics were broken! Simple reworks in your paragraph structure can fix this. If you PM me i would be glad to help you revise so your comment has more flavor, structure, and usefulness!

Is that the best you got trying to be cute and funny? Trying to flash your pseudo intelligence? /Fail

You are so motivated to constantly defend thieves with your “witty” commentary that your reading comprehension skills take a beating. I appreciate the offer though. If I ever feel the need to drop down into a double digit IQ I will take you up on your offer and PM you for advice.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Is it really a crutch when that’s the ONLY thing keeping thieves from being killed? A crutch would be something a class relies on heavily when without it they are still fine. However a thief without stealth is a free kill. I mean I fully get that the current stealth levels are incredibly poor design, but that’s basically what the thief class has to survive. If we are going to start calling main class pillars “crutches” then Mesmer clones, Elementalist attunements, Necro Deathshroud, etc are all crutches that those classes use to keep from being killed. I wish they would just learn to play…sounds stupid right?

Stealth is not their class mechanic. Initiative and steal is.

Also. I can play 2 thief builds that don’t rely on an over use stealth (if at all), and they’re incredibly effective at killing AND surviving.

Saying there is only two builds (d/d or d/p (same trash different smell)) to play as a thief shows how little you know.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Not sure this would really work. Could you imagine if you were running away from a zerg and a Mesmer used Mass Invis? It would be a massive hindrance to suddenly have your movement speed significantly decreased.

I think the problem with stealth at the moment is that it is too accommodating when launching an attack. The fact that you can only be Revealed if you actually land damage is testament to this. Nothing will ever be changed though. I don’t think Anet are interested in raising the skill cap for stealth use.

Gandara

(edited by Simonoly.4352)

in WvW

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

Seems like alot of people are having trouble getting ganked by thieves while running back to their blobs.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Seems like alot of people are having trouble getting ganked by thieves while running back to their blobs.

Even skilled players get annoyed by P/D perma-stealth players that strafe them then run off as soon as a thief realizes they cannot 2-shot them.

Stealth has also become a serious issue with mesmer/thief condi-bunker builds in small fights.

CnD off inanimate objects makes tracking a thief down inside a keep ridiculously difficult. Those builds even move faster when stealthed adding to the problem.

There are legitimate issues with stealth beyond new players or zerg builds getting “ganked” by a thief. Oh and yes, I do have a thief. I have logged around 1200 WvW hours with the D/D weaponset on him.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

in WvW

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Don’t be so dense. If stealth is tweaked (nerfed), other areas of the Thief will be upgraded.

As it stands, stealth is a convenient crutch for Thief and, to certain extent, Mesmer.

Exactly that!

if Anet would ever lay a hand on stealth, then expect as a counterbalance such thigns to happen:

• Max Basic Health of Thieves gets increased to be up on par with that of Rangers
  • Mobility of Thieves becomes better by increasing Ranges of certain Skills and giving them more access to Shadow Steps and giving them an innate 25% faster Movement Speed, so with the Signet of Shadows it gets raised to 50% faster Movement Speed, if anything on Stealth Durations gets decreased (this would enable Anet to exchange a useless Trait with a better new one)
  • Stealth Durations get significantly increased to, if ANet would tweak anythign on the Reveal-Times to make the momentum of using Stealth more important.
  • Adding to Skills and Traits more access to Condition Removals and especially Stability
  • Endurance Regeneration Speed getting increased so that Thieves could dodge quicker, what in essence would make it harder to fight them, if you fight agaisnt a skileld Thief Player that is no movement cripple who doesn’t know the Dodge Button on his keyboard.

Anything else than these changes would be too less, because Stealth is the Thief’s one and only main mechanic of survival besides of dodge rolling and shadow stepping out of distance, that the whole class is balanced around to be able to fight competitively, what always many people permanently forget due to being blinded by their anger being consistantly getting ganked by very skilled thief players that they don’t think over it, that this mechanics is the thief’s key essence of its current balance for survival, because outside of Stealth, thiefs hav in the moment a very poor lits of options for Condition Removal.

A Thief, that doesn’t use Stealth/Steal against a ConditionSpam Necromancer/Mesmer/Engineer/Elementalist is extremely quick dead.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in WvW

Posted by: ryan.6217

ryan.6217

I get it now.

Is that the best you got trying to be cute and funny? Trying to flash your pseudo intelligence? /Fail

You are so motivated to constantly defend thieves with your “witty” commentary that your reading comprehension skills take a beating. I appreciate the offer though. If I ever feel the need to drop down into a double digit IQ I will take you up on your offer and PM you for advice.

Didn’t defend thieves once in my whole pseudo intelligent comment actually (: So here is another one for you.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

This would be a good idea, the only thieves that would complain are the ones who have relied on 2-3 abilities for so long they do not realize they have several ways to close that gap without normal movement.

Won’t happen though, to many baddies would cry.

in WvW

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

The closest thing to abuse I see is on d/p thieves and mesmers letting phantasms do their work. If the stealth system was so OP why do I see thieves/mesmers die all the time?

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Thief should get revealed taking damage and also be able to detect him/her when being to close, that way WoW rogues worked and i thought they could abuse stealth, till i joined WvW, its ridicilous how spam stealth works and no i dont blame the players, but the game mechanics, far out the most horrible design i ever seen and hopefully no other dev team will pick this idea up and implement in their game.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.