[Suggestion] My WvW wishlist

in WvW

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

This is a list I made reworking some ideas I already posted and some new ideas I got from other posts and Reddit.

Make WvW rewarding

• scale rewards with the fight difficulty: small organized guilds wiping zergs must have better rewards than zergs steamrolling smaller groups. Capturing a well defended T3 keep must reward significantly more than a t0. (this would be fixed by The Eventful WvW )
  • better achievement system and rework of the current achievements (somewhat fixed with HoT): reward long term committment with a better distribution of achievement points for long term achievements and make people want to push themselves to “achieve” amazing feats like winning a 1v5 fight or get 5 interrupts with the same skill (more examples in this thread )
  • consider adding reward tracks similar to those added in sPVP: reward the player long-term commitment with unique stomp finishers and WvW-specific armor and weapon skins. - added in 2016, April 19 patch
  • get rid of PPT, Glicko-rate every fight (open field and tower/keep defense) instead, weighted for number of players in the area (see the Eventful WvW and The fundamental flaw of WvW )
  • fix and improve rewards for defending, running yaks, building and refreshing siege, scouting, etc (again, this would be fixed by the Eventful WvW system)
  • Reaching the “legend” rank in each tier should grant a new title and an unique stomp finisher

Improve tactical aspects

• commander messages have a different color in team and mapchat (wvw only). Commanders also have a different cooldown trigger for the spam filter (so they can write more than 3 times in a row, for example)
  • commanders can choose to “join” another commander, so a proper chain of command can be established - not in game but can be done with the current squad system
  • each commander can register players as scouts: scouts will have a simple interface to report enemy sightings, keeps and towers under attack and so on and receive rewards if the scouting is accurate - something similar has been added in April 19, 2016 patch
  • new map interface for commanders, bigger than the minimap, but still windowed, that will show scout reports and will allow a commander to assign missions to scouts and other commanders that joined him
  • commanders can now choose to show the tag on map for everyone or only for their guild; if they are showing it only for their guild, they can still be seen by other commanders.
  • make a new tag “guild commander” that can be purchased with a guild currency that can only be gained by doing wvw as a guild. Guild commanders can only be seen by their current guild and by other commanders.
  • cap the number of rallies from a defeated player to 3 per server - this has been done around January 2016

Fix and improve siege

• arrowcarts and trebuchets should not be able to hit from behind the gates
  • arrowcart damage and accuracy should falloff with distance
  • all projectile siege start with a finite amount of projectiles, after that amount has been used, they are disabled and require a 10 supply recharge
  • new trap options, for example an “ambush trap” that put enemies in combat with a few veterans (scaled by number of players), sold by friendly mercenary camps
  • import the sentry mechanic from EOTM - sorta added with HoT (with some limitations)

Improve guilds and introduce alliances

• make it easier for guilds to move to other servers. For example: buy transfer discounts with guild influence/merits, and be able to maintain the upgrades (this has been added when guilds where made multi-server).
  • alliances of guilds can provide a better framework for organizing coverage

(edited by Menaka.5092)

in WvW

Menaka.5092

Quality of life

• allow players to gain the option to reset wvw traits every few (30? 50? 100?) ranks
  • make team chat readable across all the borderlands and EB, every message will be prefixed with the map that has originated from
  • make it easier to choose a new server: provide the option to sort servers in the server list by queue length and number of players from the same geographical location
  • since the servers only make sense from a WvW point of view, get rid of the “population” tab or adjust it to reflect actual WvW population (and rate transfer fees accordingly) - this has been done
  • fix retaliation
  • bring back the matchup forums; to access them, make players sign an agreement that what they read is not endorsed or controlled by ANet in any way, but killing the forums had a really bad impact on the community.

Some crazy ideas

• rework WvW completely and make it eventful
  • enemy siege can be “conquered” using supplies (maybe 30% of the build cost?). Allies (maybe restricted to guild?) get the option to “demolish” it to prevent the enemy from capturing it.
  • supply storage in keeps is now split between inner and outer depots, inner depot contains 1/3 of total supplies, outer depots contain the rest, once the external perimeter of the keep has been breached, outer depots become neutral and both defenders and invaders can take supplies from there
  • consider abandoning the server system like has been done in EOTM and make an interface to join specific overflows instead, so that guilds can choose where to go and what kind of fights to face; points conquered by guilds and players could add up to the server’s total score and ranking
  • “import” some good ideas from EOTM: for example, secondary objectives that give powerful tactical advantages, like the wurm tunnels or sentries

(edited by Menaka.5092)

in WvW

Posted by: DaMikenatr.7041

DaMikenatr.7041

• make team chat readable across all the borderlands and EB, every message will be prefixed with the map that has originated from
  • supply storage in keeps is now split between inner and outer depots, inner depot contains 1/3 of total supplies, outer depots contain the rest, once the external perimeter of the keep has been breached, outer depots become neutral and both defenders and invaders can take supplies from there

I can agree on a lot of things, many of which have been brought up on several occasions which you link very nicely too, however these 2 I just couldn’t pass up. Map chat across all maps would get way too cluttered. Most servers already have methods set up to make callouts across maps. If you’re in Red BL, you really don’t need to see that there’s a roaming group headed to S Camp in Blue BL.

In regards to the supply, you pretty much just suggested that if a group breaks down the outer gate of T3 keep, they get over 1100 supply while the defenders would only be left with 600. It can already be difficult to defend depending on the situation, let alone giving the attackers what might as well be an unlimited amount of supply.

That’s just my 2 cents though. I think a lot of the other ideas are valid, and hopefully we can get some solid discussion out of this.

Tsyborg – human guardian – commander
Vicious Instinct [VI]

in WvW

Menaka.5092

I can agree on a lot of things, many of which have been brought up on several occasions which you link very nicely too, however these 2 I just couldn’t pass up. Map chat across all maps would get way too cluttered. Most servers already have methods set up to make callouts across maps. If you’re in Red BL, you really don’t need to see that there’s a roaming group headed to S Camp in Blue BL.

I know most servers have an organized community outside of the game, but not everyone joins the public TS servers and such.

About the “clutter”, I don’t think it would be a huge problem, once the population starts using MAP chat for map-related talk and TEAM for asking help from other borderlands or coordinating strategy on a grand scale.

In regards to the supply, you pretty much just suggested that if a group breaks down the outer gate of T3 keep, they get over 1100 supply while the defenders would only be left with 600. It can already be difficult to defend depending on the situation, let alone giving the attackers what might as well be an unlimited amount of supply.

Consider that the outer supply depots would be usable by both defenders and attackers and there’s two of them (not sure about SM?) in each outer ring: it’s unpractical to prevent the opponent from taking supplies from both of those at the same time, so defenders can still use the outer supplies, but will probably lose some of those to the attackers.

Why I think it’s a good idea? Because it brings more objectives into the picture:

• as a defender, you’ll want to defend the outer ring a lot more than you are interested in doing now, since breaking it for an attacker means a partial victory;
  • both defenders and attackers will have two (more in SM?) points where to focus their attention, defenders will want to resupply there first, before using the supplies from inner, while attackers will want to prevent the defenders from doing that
  • I forgot to mention it, but I was thinking that the outer depots would start getting supplies only once the inner depot was full and that the workers would prioritize taking supplies from the outer ones

in WvW

Posted by: Skye Terrier.3805

Skye Terrier.3805

Have a “map clear” boost (so to speak). Where people just trying to complete the world map are impervious to opposing player attack, and can get their dadblasted POIs and Vistas done without spending weeks doing it (waiting for color changes and such).

By the same token they do still have to watch out for the regular foes, but they do NOT get to reap WvW APs like events and such.

Trust me, we “noobs” don’t like being in your world annoying you anymore than you like us to be there, so it would be nice to have the ability to get the map clear done and get out of Dodge.

in WvW

Menaka.5092

Have a “map clear” boost (so to speak). Where people just trying to complete the world map are impervious to opposing player attack, and can get their dadblasted POIs and Vistas done without spending weeks doing it (waiting for color changes and such).

By the same token they do still have to watch out for the regular foes, but they do NOT get to reap WvW APs like events and such.

Trust me, we “noobs” don’t like being in your world annoying you anymore than you like us to be there, so it would be nice to have the ability to get the map clear done and get out of Dodge.

What you suggest doesn’t seem fun or even remotely feasible.

I would rather see the Gift of Exploration reworked so it requires a specific number of maps explored (say… 40? how many is now?), maybe including dungeons (story + all explorable paths to “complete” one dungeon) and sPVP maps (win a match in a specific map), but without requiring all 3 borderlands and EB. That way the achievement would easily scale with new content added to the game, instead of the current “crazy” requirement of some PVE maps (but not all of them, since some were added after the start of the game) and all WvW maps.

If ANet wants to get people in WvW, they should make WvW more fun and rewarding, instead of forcing players to be there.

my 2 cents.

in WvW

Menaka.5092

Just had this weird idea, so I’m gonna resurrect this post: keep traps.

Either add them as an improvement, for example merging cannons and mortars and using the free slot, or an entire new tab.

In the first case, the trap complexity and effectiveness scales with the keep tier (wooden walls, no traps; upgraded walls, minor traps; upgraded walls and gates, medium traps; reinforced walls: mass destruction traps), in the second case the upgrades require more supplies.

• minor traps would be stuff like snares (chill/cripple), automatically refreshed every 15 minutes
  • medium traps would add damage on top of the snares, automatically refreshed every 20 minutes
  • mass destruction traps are intended as a last resort, are player activable (restricted to the guild who claimed the keep?) and require supplies and time to be charged.

Some ideas for the mass destruction traps:

• huge pots of oil above Garrison Lord’s Room that will cover the whole room in fire fields, killing everyone inside
  • explosive charges to collapse the bridge in Hills: it will require time to rebuild the bridge, so it’s a 2-edged sword (reinforcements can’t go through middle gate and get to north inner!). Also, this would make the catapult spot on mid gate a lot less interesting…
  • a control to flood the Lord’s room in Bay, killing everyone in it (I don’t think there’s technology in game to do this, but it would be awesome)