The sad state of WvW a cookie cutter story

in WvW

Posted by: AydenStar.4216

AydenStar.4216

The Ranger is the only class I enjoy playing in GW2 yet the GW2 WvW community and ANet just want to promote their trinity system of Hammer Warriors (Damage, utility) and Hammer Guardians (Healing, Utility, Support), Staff Necromancers ( Condi spamming, Damage, Utility) and Staff Elementalists (Healing, Support, Utility) down my throat because they are the easiest, no brain professions to play in WvW zerging. Therefore, I have lost interest in this game almost completely. There is nothing fun about playing a game mode that only benefit 4 cookies cutters builds.

I play a Hammer Guardian and Warrior too in WvW and it is so boring and routine that I rather play Mortal Combat 2 for its deep and complexity over these two cookie cutter face roll professions.

Players that are moving or have moved to serious T1 servers be warned that if you don’t play the cookie cutter build that the top guilds have come up with (which are all the same IMHO), you are going to have a horrible experience being forced to play the viable professions and builds even if you are not in these guilds but run with them.

To be honest, GW2 is not going in a good direction with these WvW leagues: let face it, WvW leaders want to win fights and they rather have 30 players of the most viable professions and I don’t blame them. If you play on T1 servers as Ranger, Thief or Engineers you will be forces into the Ruins because that is where zerg leaders will put you if they are having a bad day and need a scapegoat or have you sit in a tower all day long.

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Players that are moving or have moved to serious T1 servers be warned that if you don’t play the cookie cutter build that the top guilds have come up with (which are all the same IMHO), you are going to have a horrible experience being forced to play the viable professions and builds even if you are not in these guilds but run with them.

To be honest, GW2 is not going in a good direction with these WvW leagues: let face it, WvW leaders want to win fights and they rather have 30 players of the most viable professions and I don’t blame them. If you play on T1 servers as Ranger, Thief or Engineers you will be forces into the Ruins because that is where zerg leaders will put you if they are having a bad day and need a scapegoat or have you sit in a tower all day long.

I do not and will not listen to other people what I should or should not play. My main in wvw is a ranger and if other people dont like that too bad.
I am in the lowest tier of servers so that might be completly different, I also never heard commanders on our server say anything about profession thank god.

in WvW

Posted by: kingcragus.6810

kingcragus.6810

Just play what you want. Sod those zerging fools and go roaming. I heard rangers pretty good at that. And don’t you get reveal on a pet now? Go troll some thieves!

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

You just need to Roam, I play a power necro and don’t run a zerg friendly build. Its really the only thing you can do if you don’t want to be cookie cutter.

its really not anyone fault, its just currently the combo of hammer guad, hammer war, staff ele is just to good together in large scale fights, as for necro staff is the only AoE weapon they have.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

in WvW

Posted by: The Blind Man.3642

The Blind Man.3642

You’re all welcome to come to Yak’s Bend and enjoy playing whatever classes you want. Us commanders welcome all players with open arms as long as you are competent enough to play your class right (using your own build/class! )

Yak’s Bend Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

The Ranger is the only class I enjoy playing in GW2 yet the GW2 WvW community and ANet just want to promote their trinity system of Hammer Warriors (Damage, utility) and Hammer Guardians (Healing, Utility, Support), Staff Necromancers ( Condi spamming, Damage, Utility) and Staff Elementalists (Healing, Support, Utility) down my throat because they are the easiest, no brain professions to play in WvW zerging. Therefore, I have lost interest in this game almost completely. There is nothing fun about playing a game mode that only benefit 4 cookies cutters builds.

I play a Hammer Guardian and Warrior too in WvW and it is so boring and routine that I rather play Mortal Combat 2 for its deep and complexity over these two cookie cutter face roll professions.

Sounds like you run with the wrong people or you’re a bit sensitive to criticism. You’re right, most zergs/commanders don’t want rangers because other classes bring more to the table. BUT you know what is better that most classes? A very competent player. If you are good, don’t die, stay on the commander, follow directions, there is no reason you shouldn’t be allowed to play your ranger. Now if a commander is flat out telling you not to follow him on your ranger, then your on the wrong server or following the wrong people. While rangers aren’t the best for zergs, this game is about fun, so if you can be successful and help the zerg be successful then is shouldn’t matter in the main zerg.

In closing I would rather take a few competent players over 10 mindless pugs….Also get over it, you’re not going to get much sympathy because Rangers are kinda like the running WvW joke….

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

pretty turned off by wvw atm myself. being a squshy veilbot for all the dominat other classes is not what i see as fun at all. mesmers are only wanted in guilds to veil and tw them. other than that we got nothing to contribute dmg wise. and rangers are not even accepted in a lot of hardcore wvw guilds. problem is our ai and also that anet “buffs” us around spvp where we both can do well or decent.

id give up all my clones and all the stupid ai for something useful for wvw.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

AydenStar.4216

pretty turned off by wvw atm myself. being a squshy veilbot for all the dominat other classes is not what i see as fun at all. mesmers are only wanted in guilds to veil and tw them. other than that we got nothing to contribute dmg wise. and rangers are not even accepted in a lot of hardcore wvw guilds. problem is our ai and also that anet “buffs” us around spvp where we both can do well or decent.

id give up all my clones and all the stupid ai for something useful for wvw.

I didn’t put Mesmers in the cookie cutter category because the are just used for 3 skills and that has to be the most un-exciting role in WvW. Also, you only need 2 mesmers for a group of 30 to 40 players.

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.5192

Pavel.5192

lost 2 minutes by reading this, rangers have no support for nobody, everyone else can do it better, end

4ever roaming

in WvW

AydenStar.4216

Sounds like you run with the wrong people or you’re a bit sensitive to criticism. You’re right, most zergs/commanders don’t want rangers because other classes bring more to the table. BUT you know what is better that most classes? A very competent player. If you are good, don’t die, stay on the commander, follow directions, there is no reason you shouldn’t be allowed to play your ranger. Now if a commander is flat out telling you not to follow him on your ranger, then your on the wrong server or following the wrong people. While rangers aren’t the best for zergs, this game is about fun, so if you can be successful and help the zerg be successful then is shouldn’t matter in the main zerg.

In closing I would rather take a few competent players over 10 mindless pugs….Also get over it, you’re not going to get much sympathy because Rangers are kinda like the running WvW joke….

They are the running joke of WvW and I am tired of it. This is Anet fault for putting the profession in this position. I have been playing WvW mainly on my Ranger for over a year on SoR. I theorycrafted zerging builds that work vs large zergs but I can’t get any one to play them because Ranger players are completely shun from zerging without remorse. Rangers are the best immobilizers in the game and now with the stacking buff Rangers can do this better than any class even without their pet too (which ANet need to fix A.S.A.P.!) but Warriors and Elementalists just fit better then replacing them with Rangers.

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Subjective. Exaggeration.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

They are the running joke of WvW and I am tired of it. This is Anet fault for putting the profession in this position. I have been playing WvW mainly on my Ranger for over a year on SoR. I theorycrafted zerging builds that work vs large zergs but I can’t get any one to play them because Ranger players are completely shun from zerging without remorse. Rangers are the best immobilizers in the game and now with the stacking buff Rangers can do this better than any class even without their pet too (which ANet need to fix A.S.A.P.!) but Warriors and Elementalists just fit better then replacing them with Rangers.

I used to zerg on a thief back when they were the bane of zergs. I got kitten for it, but I’m a adult and I knew as long as I was successful in the zerg who cares what they say. You have quite a few options to go with, quit because everything you said, find another game. Suck it up and play your ranger, if its a issue on SoR transfer, if its a guild stop following them. Or conform and pick a new class…

As for improving the ranger, its probably better to do it in a more constructive way in the Ranger forums.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

i see your point, rangers/thieves team utility does kind of suck…but scouting/ninjaing things is actually very important and has bigger effect on outcome of the match/fights than you probably would think

in fact right now i am trying to make thief squad for our guild, just for scouting/slipping camps/get orbs/kill squishies in the back of zergs etc.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

Stack with your team. Push through opposing zerg. While pushing through, drop traps, and entangle at the back end. Turn around, barrage snared victims.

What I would like to see: an option to remove the pets from the bar.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

in WvW

AydenStar.4216

I used to zerg on a thief back when they were the bane of zergs. I got kitten for it, but I’m a adult and I knew as long as I was successful in the zerg who cares what they say. You have quite a few options to go with, quit because everything you said, find another game. Suck it up and play your ranger, if its a issue on SoR transfer, if its a guild stop following them. Or conform and pick a new class…

As for improving the ranger, its probably better to do it in a more constructive way in the Ranger forums.

LOL, I already conformed buddy and sucked it up for months yet it doesn’t change the fact that this WvW leagues are going to be a bad thing. I am pointing out an important issue that comes up in WvW other than coverage, server stacking, PPT and cheats. I just want a better game balance so no one has to conform to 4 cookie cutter professions.

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

Go read the class threads on this board and one will come to the realization all classes are bads! Better yet go read the WOW class forums, a game that has had what, 8years or so to balance the game? you will again come to the realization all WOW classes are bads as well.

On a side note, a vocal minority on chat making jokes about your class is enough to start this thread, really? You need thicker skin for MMO’s man…..

in WvW

AydenStar.4216

Go read the class threads on this board and one will come to the realization all classes are bads! Better yet go read the WOW class forums, a game that has had what, 8years or so to balance the game? you will again come to the realization all WOW classes are bads as well.

On a side note, a vocal minority on chat making jokes about your class is enough to start this thread, really? You need thicker skin for MMO’s man…..

I have a thick skin I just warning others that it might not be a good idea to bandwagon to T1 servers and pointing out a grim reality when WvW goes into super competitive mode.

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

I have a thick skin I just warning others that it might not be a good idea to bandwagon to T1 servers and pointing out a grim reality when WvW goes into super competitive mode.

Tier 1 to T 99, from WOW to Rift, to Everquest, to future Elder scrolls online there is always going to be vocal peeps on who are gonna make jokes regarding religion, politics, sports team, girls, guys, gays, <insert random topic here> which will irk some people so if you gonna play online games, it’s best to have thick skin.

(edited by scootshoot.6583)

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

Rangers are awesome. They have good waterfields, blast finishers, irritating pets, and extremely agile. It’s simply knowing your place in the battlefield.

Simple, think combo fields/blast finishers and where your class fits in that area.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Call_of_the_Wild

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Healing_Spring

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Circle_of_Life

:3 You’re a very important part of the raid team.

The reason why gw2 seems to have a cookie cutter party base is not many seek to experiment and try new things.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

(edited by Sovereign.1093)

in WvW

Posted by: Gamadorn.2670

Gamadorn.2670

I have a ranger main and played it since launch and used it commanding a few guilds for a long time…. that being said I feel you’re pain (I mostly run guardian now)

However, I will say this….As much as when i’m commanding i would PREFER one of the BIG 4. I have no problem taking in rangers, engi’s, thieves etc…I would ask or reiterate the same as someone else said…if you want to play that class that’s fine…but please be skilled and when we crash or hit an enemy group…don’t be the first person insta-dead and be a rally bot. If you can contribute to the group and not do those things bring whatever the heck you want

Dragonbrand
Underwater Operations – [WET]

in WvW

Posted by: SQLOwns.7316

SQLOwns.7316

I’d agree with everything except the Ele, they are more or less worthless. An extra War or Guardian in the group would easily be more desired. But I see where you’re coming from.

SQL Owns – Elementalist
Dragon Steel [DSL]
Henge of Denravi

in WvW

AydenStar.4216

I’d agree with everything except the Ele, they are more or less worthless. An extra War or Guardian in the group would easily be more desired. But I see where you’re coming from.

Elementalists have it rough in the current cookie cutter strategy. The are responsible for rotating water fields, Static fields, now immobilize with the new changes, AoE damage when they can and stay alive.

Without Staff elementalists or any profession to provide water fields will lose out on a lot of sustain/utility if they are fighting an organized guild or mega zerg.

in WvW

Posted by: Warthog.6870

Warthog.6870

I think “serious T1 servers” are your problem. Move to a “less serious” server and enjoy the game again.

Mag [DERP] [Goon]

in WvW

Sovereign.1093

The problem is not many seek to take advantage of combo fields. Some just enjoy the art of skill spamming. If you seek synergy and team compatibility, there’s so much a balanced composition could do rather than pure something.

And the ranger has one of the longest waterfields there is. I’d rather have that in my team than any other fields.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Sjofn.7418

Sjofn.7418

This is absolutely not true in my experience, FYI.

Bjalla Lofnsson/Orlando Fabuloso/Sjofn Lofnsdottr
Slap in the Face, Jade Quarry

in WvW

Sovereign.1093

No one is forced to change gears. The change is suggested. And more often than not, good guilds will help you get the suggested gear; so you will have more than one armor and weapon set now.

It’s like knowing which gear works best depending on the location. There is no one slash build for all things.

Well you can use one build, but it will not be optimal all the time.

Ex. when i fight squishes, I change my trait distribution. And if I fight a huge zerg, I include endure pain in my utilities, and change to signet of healing.

You must adapt. Even t1 players are pretty easy to kill if you take the trait and gear to the mix. Also using the brain – using siege over just pure openfield.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: MethaneGas.8357

MethaneGas.8357

Last time I checked, those builds/playstyles weren’t written in stone. People choose to play with them because they have been proven effective or because people lack imagination to come up with their own stuff. This doesn’t mean there aren’t a million other effective builds.
-Countering Hammer Warrriors : Stability guardians, or now mantra Mesmer, perhaps
-Countering Guardians: Mesmers/Necros (for boon corruption)
-Countering Eles: Mesmers/Necros (for boon corruption)
-Countering condi Necros: Bring a shout profession (which could easily be -but doesnt have to be – your guardian that’s providing stability… two birds with one stone ). Could possibly bring a cleansing Mesmer.

I’m not sure why you’d play something if you find it boring tho…. what’s the point o.O

Necro, Ele, Mesmer, Guardian and Warrior, DR[OHai]
YouTube Channel

(edited by MethaneGas.8357)

in WvW

Sovereign.1093

Yep, those builds are mere guildlines which will make a newbie in wvw survive. And as you use that tested build, you can then change it slowly to optimize your playstyle.

If you see you die a lot, is it because of lack of dodging or just feel paper under enemy?

If it’s the former, use sigil of energy, if it’s the latter, add toughness vitality gear or healing. And if you’re tanky but you can’t kill when in your team, you adjust your damage by changing traits or using prec power damage stats on some of the gear.

It was fun having all weapons and stats in the past, now I’m limited due to the ascended thingy (really disappointed by this). but hey, the only way to be the best is to grind.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

a ranger in WvW? They still are played?

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in WvW

Sovereign.1093

I would want one, to rotate ranger and ele waterfields for my zerg when fighting jq’s ultimate zerg swarm

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

selan.8354

i see your point, rangers/thieves team utility does kind of suck…but scouting/ninjaing things is actually very important and has bigger effect on outcome of the match/fights than you probably would think

in fact right now i am trying to make thief squad for our guild, just for scouting/slipping camps/get orbs/kill squishies in the back of zergs etc.

well a least thieves can pick and burst down the casters at the outside of the zerg. but rangers are really in a bad spot right now. i think if mesmers didnt have veil, we would be right there with them. i think all 3 classes need heavy rework in order to be good for wvw zerg environment.

thieves need less having to rely on stealth to be able to survive, less burst, but way more group abilities and move away from the ganking role.

rangers should have an option to fight without having to rely on their pet as the pet dies in like 2 seconds. they need more aoe’s and the trait system needs heavy rework as it is quite a mess right now.

mesmers need to be moved away from the duelist role. we are a light armor class and there fore need viable access to aoe’s. less ai, less dps just through phantasms, less aoe relying on clones. more gw1-like mesmer traits and skills.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

selan.8354

Last time I checked, those builds/playstyles weren’t written in stone. People choose to play with them because they have been proven effective or because people lack imagination to come up with their own stuff. This doesn’t mean there aren’t a million other effective builds.
-Countering Hammer Warrriors : Stability guardians, or now mantra Mesmer, perhaps
-Countering Guardians: Mesmers/Necros (for boon corruption)
-Countering Eles: Mesmers/Necros (for boon corruption)
-Countering condi Necros: Bring a shout profession (which could easily be -but doesnt have to be – your guardian that’s providing stability… two birds with one stone ). Could possibly bring a cleansing Mesmer.

I’m not sure why you’d play something if you find it boring tho…. what’s the point o.O

mantra memer? nah the radius and duration is way to little to be viable. 2 sec of stability? lolololol

countering and ele with boon corruption? we have 1 nullfield on a long cooldown and its not a counter vs eles at all.

boons yes we can remove but again we have 1 ability on a very long cooldown.

cleansing mesmer?!? what? only because we got a matra ow doesnt mesn that it is viable. mantras are hard to use and in this cc meta try to cast your mantra and btw u will have to run in the middle of the zerg in order to use its aoe as the range is 240. and again nullfield long cooldown.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Mirsa.1628

Mirsa.1628

A lot of guardians prefer to run greatsword/staff rather than hammer/staff.

[GS] Gun Squad
Guild Master

in WvW

Posted by: yriafelc.6124

yriafelc.6124

Stack with your team. Push through opposing zerg. While pushing through, drop traps, and entangle at the back end. Turn around, barrage snared victims.

What I would like to see: an option to remove the pets from the bar.

Eat Pet: You and up to 5 people in the area are cleared of conditions and are applied with all boons. No cooldown as long as you have a pet to eat.

[Urge]

in WvW

Posted by: Warthog.6870

Warthog.6870

takes 2 hours to cook

Mag [DERP] [Goon]

in WvW

Posted by: Areoh.7495

Areoh.7495

It is true on my server as well. My main used to be a Ranger, now he is shelved.

in WvW

selan.8354

It is true on my server as well. My main used to be a Ranger, now he is shelved.

yep lots of players shelved their rangers and mesmers due to the stupid meta. i still play my mes as it is my main, but i refuse to be a veilbot. i’d rather hide on an ac than being a servant for the warriors.
sadly mesmers and rangers arent viable in zergs. lots of guilds refuse to recruit anyone who is a ranger and only recruit like 3 mes for theyr veils and tw’s.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Rangers are awesome. They have good waterfields, blast finishers, irritating pets, and extremely agile. It’s simply knowing your place in the battlefield.

Simple, think combo fields/blast finishers and where your class fits in that area.

The reason why gw2 seems to have a cookie cutter party base is not many seek to experiment and try new things.

lol okay, meanwhile their are other classes who can do the same stuff and more.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in WvW

Sovereign.1093

lol okay, meanwhile their are other classes who can do the same stuff and more.

Of course. So, it’s your choice in the end. Since every profession has her own speciality.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

the art is nice, nice place to visit…. but not worth investing time or effort in getting any serious competition. The balance and logistics are so off, you just can’t take it serious. It’s fun if you think of it as an action version of 2nd life though – the leagues and rankings should be taken with a grain of salt ….in gold league – you have skill lag vs skill lag – in silver league , you have roflstomp unbalanced matches… and in bronze leagues you have a variety of coverage hours – then you have the warriors and guardians being the best characters and having to leave wvw to grind for the best weapon stats.

this just isn’t a real pvp game – it’s a pve game that has areas where you can fight other people too, nothing really organized. Even what they call pvp is a game of tag. it’s dodgeball, not chess. I think accepting this might make the game more fun and be less attached to the competitive side of it, because it’s not there – may as well throw dice and write all the ladders based on the roll, let us know who won and email us a reward, give us a title for playing along. No reason for anyone to stop enjoying playing their class. Even if everyone rolled the same class, any concept of having a serious rank still can’t be taken serious – other than maybe a pure one on one in wvw – a player held fight club with their own ladders independent of anet.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

in WvW

Posted by: Ghoulina.2976

Ghoulina.2976

Rangers are amazing at solo combat or in havoc squads. If you want to be a mindless drone and zerg.. er.. pvd.. it doesn’t matter what class you play. Have traps and your aoe heal for blasts and gg.

Mîs: Careful what you say. The moderators are watching, and ignorance is strength.
JQ-80: Mes/Eng/Ele/Thief/Guard/Rang/Nec/War

in WvW

selan.8354

Rangers are amazing at solo combat or in havoc squads. If you want to be a mindless drone and zerg.. er.. pvd.. it doesn’t matter what class you play. Have traps and your aoe heal for blasts and gg.

noone is talking about roaming and 1v1 here and not everyone is mindless in a larger number. so when your keep gets attacked by 40 people u will need to fight them and there isnt a 1v1 gonna happen. ranges dont have much to contribute in these sitations. maybe a glassy one can stay all the way in the back and hoping noone sneezes on him, but that it. mesmers same. we are veil bots. technically if your group wants to push out of a keep to fend off the attackers all the mesmer can contribute, is the veil near the exit and then stand back and watch the fight. rangers can maybe stand on top and shoot, but if they wanna fight with the group and push out, they will have a very bad time.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Ghoulina.2976

Ghoulina.2976

noone is talking about roaming and 1v1 here and not everyone is mindless in a larger number. so when your keep gets attacked by 40 people u will need to fight them and there isnt a 1v1 gonna happen. ranges dont have much to contribute in these sitations. maybe a glassy one can stay all the way in the back and hoping noone sneezes on him, but that it. mesmers same. we are veil bots. technically if your group wants to push out of a keep to fend off the attackers all the mesmer can contribute, is the veil near the exit and then stand back and watch the fight. rangers can maybe stand on top and shoot, but if they wanna fight with the group and push out, they will have a very bad time.

Rangers can be tanky as anything, I have one, I have one of every class, and if you’re in tight large combat fights, you should be ON YOUR COMMANDER. They can cause cripples, aoe healing, condition removal, chills. If you just want to be lazy and zerker dps and mindlessly pvd, it matters not what class you play.

Just because other classes can be stronger in areas, doesn’t mean that rangers are useless in large combat fights. Do they need boosts, sure, so do many classes, but they’re still useful.

Now if you want to talk about GvG, they’re like large scale spvp battles, and teams are going to want specific classes for specific things, and that really isn’t related to wvw at all.

Mîs: Careful what you say. The moderators are watching, and ignorance is strength.
JQ-80: Mes/Eng/Ele/Thief/Guard/Rang/Nec/War

in WvW

Posted by: Monadproxy.3489

Monadproxy.3489

Until there is perfect balance, there will always be a profession at the bottom of the totem poll for a certain aspect. As long as there is the internet, people will make fun of anything. As long as there is a “meta”, the “elite” will always try to make you run it. Doesn’t matter what game. Hell, League of Legends has it worse in this aspect than GW2.

in WvW

Posted by: Livius.2465

Livius.2465

I do not and will not listen to other people what I should or should not play. My main in wvw is a ranger and if other people dont like that too bad.

Can’t say it better than that, really!

Every profession is great. And every profession is bad. It’s all about finding the right balance. In WvW, because you are often in a group/zerg and your actions therefore have a direct effect on others, you have a responsibility to carefully select traits/skills that are appropriate to your style of play and then play them the best you can, learning and improving as you go.

If someone calls you out for a mistake, swallow your pride and seriously consider if they have a point, then adjust your actions, if needed. But if they call you out just “for being a ranger” because “rangers are lame”, then they are short-sighted fools who’ve earned a /block. (And if, e.g., your guild leader does it, then you need a new guild).

Liverius
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

Godspeed of Scnd explaining his ranger build for WvW guild roaming.

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

in WvW

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

OP is a dramaqueen. I play on sor and nobody will tell you to play another class bvecause rangers are no good. Because thats not true. I dont know any commander who would shun you based on what class you play. If you joined a very hardcore wvw guild, its only natural that they want enough of each class. If they want you to run a certain class because there is a shortage of them, id fully understand. Setting up groups in wvw is even more important now because buff priority goes to your group first.

Either join a different guild, rethink your build and quit whining.

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Torgrim.3642

Torgrim.3642

I play duel sword/longbow specced cond/crit, and It works great in most sistuations, It works really well against enemy zergs, they bleed/burns like hell while the rest of my teams finish them off.

in WvW

Posted by: MethaneGas.8357

MethaneGas.8357

mantra memer? nah the radius and duration is way to little to be viable. 2 sec of stability? lolololol

countering and ele with boon corruption? we have 1 nullfield on a long cooldown and its not a counter vs eles at all.

boons yes we can remove but again we have 1 ability on a very long cooldown.

cleansing mesmer?!? what? only because we got a matra ow doesnt mesn that it is viable. mantras are hard to use and in this cc meta try to cast your mantra and btw u will have to run in the middle of the zerg in order to use its aoe as the range is 240. and again nullfield long cooldown.

Dear friend,

1)Before posting, try to research the skills and traits of the classes discussed. Mesmers can use mantras for up to 3 times. Additionally, one can increase their boon duration up to about 90%, or more. So your “2 second” mantra stability could equate to 12 seconds of stability, AoE. lolololol.
2) I know very good elementalist players who dread corrupt boon and Necromancers. Any good ele you know will tell you they hate fighting good condi Necros, especially with corrupt boon. It is a very nice counter, if used well. Yes. It’s a counter because an Ele is a boon machine with lowest base stats. You remove the boons, you remove much of their strength.
3) Mesmers can remove many, many boons. Not only with shatters (Shattered Concentration in Domination), but with utilities and weapon skills as well.
4) Again, look at Shattered Conditions, the Grandmaster trait of Inspiration. Combine that with a Mantra, which you could possibly use 3 times, and you got a Mesmer with lots of AoE condition removal.
5) “Try casting a mantra in the stun meta” – Refer to point 1).

Necro, Ele, Mesmer, Guardian and Warrior, DR[OHai]
YouTube Channel

(edited by MethaneGas.8357)

in WvW

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

As a former Ranger, now a LB Warrior, no one has ever asked me to switch to Hammer on my Warrior. And, no one has asked me not to follow because I was on my Ranger. Oh and I’m on a Tier 1 server, JQ.

To the OP, look at the bigger picture, which is what WvWvW is about with the league play. Think Macro, not Micro. Think what is good for the realm v. what is good for me. It may help your perspective a bit. I’ve had more fun with our realm being smacked around and our commanders trying to figure out the best way to attack, and how they moved us about than I have had in a long time … Decades… in an MMO.

So, yea if you want a FPS, then stick with an FPS. If you want to be “part” of something give it a go.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ