WXP Ability Points for casual WvW'er?

in WvW

Posted by: garland.5193

garland.5193

I’m trying to decide where to put my WXP points. I really like WvW but I just don’t have the time to be really serious about it. Guard Leech and Applied Fortitude both look great but I’m afraid they’ll get nerfed before I can even earn enough points.

Any suggestions guys?

in WvW

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

They are not nor has there been any talk of nerfing those you have mentioned. Carry on and have fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Radian.2478

Radian.2478

It depends on what you like to do in WvW. If you like to roam then you can go for Guard Killer and Defense Against Guards. If you like to just follow commanders and join trains then I’d go in this order:

R4 supply mastery
R4 build mastery
R3 flame ram mastery
R1 catapult mastery
R2 repair mastery
R2 AC mastery
R1 treb mastery
R4 AC mastery
R4 catapult mastery

While that looks like a lot of stuff to go for, it’s actually quite a bit less WXP in total than maxing Guard Killer and Defense Against Guards.

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

In this order

siege bunker max
then at least 1 point in supply, repair, and build mastery.

From there – defense against guards, then it’s up to you.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I’m pretty sure if they nerf Guard Leech and/or Applied Fortitude — which they definitely should — they would refund points as they’ve done in the past when changing abilities.

Anyway, if you’re just a casual WvW player you’re pretty much screwed. Those who play more than you are gonna leave you way behind in abilities.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Really depends on what you spend your time doing. However, I’d probably say these are the most valuable ones;

Supply mastery 4; gives reasonably consistent returns for a fraction of the price of Supply Capacity.
Build Mastery/Repair Mastery 1; When you have +5 supply, a single channel won’t deplete your supply when building or repairing. Getting these two to rank 1 will make everything go faster.

After that, I would probably start working on one of the following;
Ram Mastery 3; makes you that much more effective at knocking down doors, people will usually either go in the front door or…
Catapult Mastery 1; by knocking down a wall.
AC Mastery 4; makes you a bunch much more effective at holding back zergs; ACs are the cornerstone generic defense siege
Defense against Guards 10→Guard Killer 10; Makes soloing camps really, really easy as opposed to just easy. If you move into defending/attacking, the stacking buffs will pay back dividends; that vitality is nothing to sneeze at.

After you’ve hit your stride, then start picking up Siege Bunker and Siege Might. They are, mathematically, very strong- Spending 30 points to cut siege damage by 5% is quite effective, but you won’t really feel yourself getting more effective so it can feel like your points are being sacrificed to the WXP God.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Anyway, if you’re just a casual WvW player you’re pretty much screwed. Those who play more than you are gonna leave you way behind in abilities.

Sad, but true.

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

If you’re not going to be getting a lot of wxp points(or get them fast) you’re probably better off going wide rather than deep.

ie: get the first ability in a few lines rather than trying to chase Applied Fortitude and the like.

I’d start by putting in 1 point each in repair and build mastery, then getting the first ability of 1-2 siege lines, whichever you already tend to use more.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: Sovereign.1093

Sovereign.1093

Thing is you won’t always be in a siege, but siege will hit you more often. So, save your precious points for siege bunker. (the most important thing for a casual wvw player). With that, you can stand with your guild to raid and cap stuff)

And if you’re really saving stuff – aim for defense against guards next. This way you can reduce hp on your build since you’re going to have stackable hp, which means you can set your gear to more on toughness or what stat you like.

You don’t need to be a master of all, just some good traits.

[Salt] Heavy Loot Bag

Always Loyal

(edited by Sovereign.1093)

in WvW

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Just buy the ranks with lulrels and badges. Any casual can at least logon for the ~30 mins to do daily every day and usually does PvE with monthly etc.

TLDR: Buy them with laurels.

in WvW

Posted by: Lifewaster.5912

Lifewaster.5912

Any suggestions guys?

• 5 points to get Arrow cart mastery level 1 , is a very good first step. They are used everywhere, and quite often the defensive and offensive placements relies on the user having the traited range of 2800 insted of 2500.
  • 10 points to get supply mastery level 4 (not supply capacity) gives you a chance to get free supply refunded when you build things, usually works out at 10-15% extra free supply. Extremely useful.
  • 5 points to get Treb mastery level 1 , adds 20% more dmg. Useful when manning a defensive treb or attacking.
  • 5 points to get catapult mastery lvl 1, adds 20% more dmg
  • 1 point in build mastery lvl 1, (only get lvl 1see note below) this lets you build at 4 supply per tick instead of 2.

(note: At level 1 this works out to allow you use all 15 supply(if you have 15) in a single round of 4-5 ticks, nice and convenient.

At higher levels of the trait is buggy and it doesnt work as smoothly somehow and gets clunky with leftover supply and takes a second round of clicking build to actually use all 15)

For example if you have the trait to use 8 at a time…and have 15 supply….. when you star a build it will tick 8,6,then stop with 1 left over supply after using 14 total.

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

Just buy the ranks with lulrels and badges. Any casual can at least logon for the ~30 mins to do daily every day and usually does PvE with monthly etc.

TLDR: Buy them with laurels.

I’d recommend against buying anything with laurels. You’ll need them for Ascended gear, which if you don’t start working on now, will put you even further behind than you already are.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Supply mastery 4; gives reasonably consistent returns for a fraction of the price of Supply Capacity.
Build Mastery/Repair Mastery 1; When you have +5 supply, a single channel won’t deplete your supply when building or repairing. Getting these two to rank 1 will make everything go faster.

After that, I would probably start working on one of the following;
Ram Mastery 3; makes you that much more effective at knocking down doors, people will usually either go in the front door or…
Catapult Mastery 1; by knocking down a wall.
AC Mastery 4; makes you a bunch much more effective at holding back zergs; ACs are the cornerstone generic defense siege
Defense against Guards 10->Guard Killer 10; Makes soloing camps really, really easy as opposed to just easy. If you move into defending/attacking, the stacking buffs will pay back dividends; that vitality is nothing to sneeze at.

After you’ve hit your stride, then start picking up Siege Bunker and Siege Might. They are, mathematically, very strong- Spending 30 points to cut siege damage by 5% is quite effective, but you won’t really feel yourself getting more effective so it can feel like your points are being sacrificed to the WXP God.

This is IMO the best post here. If you can get 115 points Apt Fort is the best thing for practically every WvW player who steps outside of a wall. After that, this post is the direction I would go.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: garland.5193

garland.5193

I don’t play with a guild. During the workweek, I get about 20-30 min per night. I usually just go to my home BL and find the closest commander. That’s about all I have time for.

I bought 1 level in AC and builder before I even thought to ask this question.

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

I would honestly ignore GK unless you roam a lot, but from your last post you don’t seem too. As for DoG, Ignore that too unless you find yourself dying so much, but I still don’t think it’s worth it unless you have some sort of dedicated role. Aside from that I think Sarrs.4831 post covers it.

1 Point into AC is not a big deal, it’s still useful when you find yourself defending a tower.

[DONE]

in WvW

Posted by: Respawn.6802

Respawn.6802

Thanks for the advice given from all, I have a similar but opposite problem.

All I do is WvW but with 500 points spread across 8 characters and locked piecemeal to them I haven’t spent most of my points yet after the recent reset.

On all of them I got the first rank in arrowcarts, cata, treb and ram but really don’t know whether to focus on one line or not.

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Which order you select them in is completely dependent on which class and build you are applying them to.

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

For most of the WvW ranks it seems the lower tier is better in terms of point-to-effectiveness. It’s also up to how you run and how your commanders do things. I think it’s better to diversify (unless going for Guard Leech or Guard Killer or Supply Mastery) but almost every other skill is situational and I would say you almost don’t use them 90% of the time you WvWvW unless it’s some really odd circumstances.

[DONE]

in WvW

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

Build 1 and Supply 4 would be a good start. I am not so sure about Repair 1, but i guess it is cheap.

Beyond that, it really depends on you. If you find yourself using siege occasionally, unlock some off the weapon skills. If not, Siege Bunker would probably be the next best choice.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

in WvW

Posted by: Jaakko.4759

Jaakko.4759

Sad, but true.

It’s not sad. Of course they are going to leave them behind, there is NO reason why you should achieve the same things if you play like a half a hour a day rather than playing 5+ hours a day, the same way you aren’t owned money just because every other guy that work hard for the money, while you would just sit in home watching TV and eating snacks and smoking bud

Hiehot on kultaa. Hiehot on hopeaa. Hiehot on pronssia.

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

Sad, but true.

It’s not sad. Of course they are going to leave them behind, there is NO reason why you should achieve the same things if you play like a half a hour a day rather than playing 5+ hours a day, the same way you aren’t owned money just because every other guy that work hard for the money, while you would just sit in home watching TV and eating snacks and smoking bud

This is PvP, not PvE. Playing 5+ hours a day compared to playing 1/2 hour a day should give you the benefit of more skill, not more stats.

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

I’m trying to decide where to put my WXP points. I really like WvW but I just don’t have the time to be really serious about it. Guard Leech and Applied Fortitude both look great but I’m afraid they’ll get nerfed before I can even earn enough points.

Any suggestions guys?

Supply mastery the first 10 points are amazing and can make a huge difference as you can build small siege by yourself sometimes.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in WvW

Posted by: Jaakko.4759

Jaakko.4759

Sad, but true.

This is PvP, not PvE. Playing 5+ hours a day compared to playing 1/2 hour a day should give you the benefit of more skill, not more stats.

Well too bad this isn’t Spvp, we are talking about wvw, my friend. It. Is. Not. Sad.

Hiehot on kultaa. Hiehot on hopeaa. Hiehot on pronssia.

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

Sad, but true.

Well too bad this isn’t Spvp, we are talking about wvw, my friend. It. Is. Not. Sad.

It has nothing to do with sPvP or WvW. It’s a principle behind competitive play. If some have advantage purely because of time spent in-game, then new players are discouraged from even starting out the game. Without new players, the game dies.

(I’m mostly talking about Applied Fortitude and Guard Leech.)