Whats the point of WvW?

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: GavNation.4307

GavNation.4307

Now I am being honest when I ask this. I am on my first character (level 50) and I was wondering…Whats the point of WvW? I mean it seems entertaining and I was having fun while playing it but I don’t see myself playing for long periods of hours without some actual goals besides “capture this just because you can say your the best server”.

And I am pretty sure that I am missing something or the actual point.

Server: BlackGate
Main: Charr Ranger

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Tijgertje.7461

Tijgertje.7461

Step 1. Don’t be on Blackgate
Step 2. Raise yourself to 80
Step 3. Join a WvW guild that is focussed on Open Field Fighting
Step 4. You will enjoy WvW.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

WvW isnt for everyone, take the WvW devs for example :P

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: RlyOsim.2497

RlyOsim.2497

i would add to this:

step 5. get teamspeak

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

To me, WvW is a huge 24/7 battleground where you can have infinite fun just by roaming / taking structures / defending structures / have some fun with guildies and friends / having fun with the enemies etc etc, still keeps me entertained to this day.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

GavNation.4307

Well I would rather not pay 30 dollars just to transfer servers. And whats so bad about Blackgate?

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

GavNation.4307

To me, WvW is a huge 24/7 battleground where you can have infinite fun just by roaming / taking structures / defending structures / have some fun with guildies and friends / having fun with the enemies etc etc, still keeps me entertained to this day.

The main problem is for me I am unable to find any definitive goals like in PvE where its like “Spend 5 hours doing this to get this shiny thing”. Kind of like the PvP rewards.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

You could say “What’s the point?” to anything. What is the point of playing computer games at all when you could be out in the world bettering yourself and others. Everyone just enjoys different things. WvW is fun to some, boring to others. The point of anything in a game is to have fun.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

For me:

Point of WvW: Community. Fighting with and for your teammates. Being part of something bigger. (Yup, server pride.) Even being part of the WvW playerbase with the common love of this style of play.

Goals: fun, improvement, unpredictability, strategy, competition, challenge. (Great deal of fun trying to take a tower or keep with only 4 people, trying to beat the timer, while it’s being defended.)

Let me ask you this, have you ever taken the classic Bartle gamer personality type test?

Do you see yourself as more of an achiever (driven by accomplishments), someone who values being social, someone who values exploration, or someone who enjoys being a competitive “killer”? (Usually people are a mix of at least 3.) Might provide insight into what kind of gameplay you enjoy.

What has been your MMO experience? Do you enjoy games that have definite goals and directed gameplay? Are you open to creating your own sense of fun with goals that you yourself develop?

There are multiple ways to play WvW and a lot of it is what you make of it.

I believe you just asked: why do people play sports?

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

GavNation.4307

You could say “What’s the point?” to anything. What is the point of playing computer games at all when you could be out in the world bettering yourself and others. Everyone just enjoys different things. WvW is fun to some, boring to others. The point of anything in a game is to have fun.

I mean I do enjoy WvW but fun for me is working to a goal. I more noticeable one besides being able to say “my server is better”. Then again I also don’t quite fully understand WvW as much as I probably should.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

Now I am being honest when I ask this. I am on my first character (level 50) and I was wondering…Whats the point of WvW? I mean it seems entertaining and I was having fun while playing it but I don’t see myself playing for long periods of hours without some actual goals besides “capture this just because you can say your the best server”.

Some games are about the process: take (American) football or basketball, for example. Same court, same ball, game looks the same as it did 50 years ago, what it’s about is figuring out how to outdo your opponents. Makes for a constantly escalating battle of individual skill, teamwork, strategy, etc.

Some games are about getting through a series of obstacles to finish. Campaign games, the traditional Nintendo/playstation/xbox games, and so on. Finish the game, move on to the next one. Kind of like reading a book.

WvW is process.

PvE leveling to endgame has a finish. You can even think of GW2’s PvE endgame as having a finish (all achievements checked off, multiple Legendaries, all ascended armor and trinkets, etc.)

There are people who like each. Some like both. What do you prefer?

(edited by bewhatever.2390)

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

GavNation.4307

Some games are about the process: take (American) football or basketball, for example. Same court, same ball, game looks the same as it did 50 years ago, what it’s about is figuring out how to outdo your opponents. Makes for a constantly escalating battle of individual skill, teamwork, strategy, etc.

Some games are about getting through a series of obstacles to finish. Campaign games, the traditional Nintendo/playstation/xbox games, and so on. Finish the game, move on to the next one. Kind of like reading a book.

WvW is process.

PvE leveling to endgame has a finish. You can even think of GW2’s PvE endgame as having a finish (all achievements checked off, multiple Legendaries, all ascended armor and trinkets, etc.)

I like having achievements (which I do know that those already exist) but the main thing is a definitive victory that would count towards something for my character.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I like having achievements (which I do know that those already exist) but the main thing is a definitive victory that would count towards something for my character.

Get to lvl 80 and start roaming. You will be constantly improving your build and personal skill so that you can win 1vX fights. Although for this I would definitely get off of blackgate, T1 is way too blobby for roaming.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

goldenwing.8473

WvW Seasons would have the closest thing to what you are looking for. There are “real” rewards (e.g. weapon skins) for “winning”.

If access to badges for ascended jewelry / infuses isn’t enough reward, and leveling in WvW to gain more WvW rank / points isn’t enough progression, then perhaps another game that has more progression-style PvP play might better suit your purposes.

GW2 as a whole is not a progression-oriented game. There are other games that are.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

WvW is process.

Progression in WvW isn’t measured in tokens dropped and WvW levels earned — which are very real — but rather in skill progression.

The new player steps into WvW the first time, wanders around like it’s PvE, and is ganked repeatedly.

The intermediate player has read the boards, understands roughly what to do, brings a roughly suitable class and spec, and finds and follows a commander. Generally dies in a zerg on zerg fight.

A mature player has chosen a role (roamer, havoc group, scout, wants to run in a larger group which does group on group fights and takes objectives), has developed skill in not just defensive movement but also in staying stacked, using field/finishers effectively in the heat of battle, etc and somehow doesn’t just die in larger scale combat. Well, not as often, anyhow

Then there are the advanced players, who can push against twice their number successfully, take defended objectives, use siege strategically (of course having the appropriate WvW skill points), and the like.

This is not advancement which is measured in levels, in achievements, or in any other way by the game. It’s measured in the real test of combat not against AI you can game, but other players. If that kind of “soft” advancement — which is an arms race against the advancement of your opponents — isn’t for you, then don’t WvW.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

GavNation.4307

Get to lvl 80 and start roaming. You will be constantly improving your build and personal skill so that you can win 1vX fights. Although for this I would definitely get off of blackgate, T1 is way too blobby for roaming.

Well its just that I don’t have 30 dollars JUST to change servers.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

GavNation.4307

WvW Seasons would have the closest thing to what you are looking for. There are “real” rewards (e.g. weapon skins) for “winning”.

If access to badges for ascended jewelry / infuses isn’t enough reward, and leveling in WvW to gain more WvW rank / points isn’t enough progression, then perhaps another game that has more progression-style PvP play might better suit your purposes.

GW2 as a whole is not a progression-oriented game. There are other games that are.

Can you explain to me more about the “seasons”?

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Well its just that I don’t have 30 dollars JUST to change servers.

Then try to find a friendly WvW group that is recruiting to help show you the ropes. You’ll learn a lot faster and have a lot more fun when you have people to help you out.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

it seems you dont realy enjoy pvp, there is no point in wvw except running with your 20 buddys from your guild around , killing other zergs and feeling awesome about it , you must enjoy killing other player , showing that you are better then them

and if you dont want to zerg , try roaming and see how good you are at pvp , i love to roam with my ele/mes/thief and then having 1vs1 and killing other players , even more awesome when its a 1vs2 or 1vs3 and you kill all three of them , the feeling of being able to kill alone 3 other players is great

ps: i just remembered about a guy that once told me on ts that he enjoys upgrading towers and filling them with siege and watching how the enemy zergs wipe before them….so basicly playing tower defense, maybe you like that too

(edited by Sekai.2987)

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

goldenwing.8473

Seasons

From the official GW2 wiki:

Tournament system

Periodically, tournaments (previously known as a season) will be held for World versus World. Worlds fight other worlds over the course of multiple weeks to earn points; 1st place gives 5 points, 2nd place gives 3 points, and 3rd place gives 1 point. At the end of the tournament, players in each world receive rewards for their world’s ranking based on points earned. Throughout the tournament, players can earn individual rewards through limited time achievements and achievement rewards.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WVW#Tournament_system

And see Rewards (NOTE: this was for Season2, which was just completed)

Every achievement has a reward chest containing a variety of items, including ascended crafting materials.
Completing 10 of the achievements will award players the WvW Spring Tournament 2014 Veteran meta-achievement, a title (Mist Runner), and a chest of rewards for their world at the conclusion of the tournament.
At the conclusion of the tournament, players who have completed the WvW Spring Tournament 2014 meta-achievement will receive a reward based on their world’s placement within their league.
Each reward chest has a number of WvW Tournament Claim Tickets based on the performance of the world during the tournament.
Due to a bug in which some players did not receive their reward chest for successful completion of the WvW Spring Tournament 2014 Veteran meta-achievement, Arenanet delayed activation of the Battle Historian selling rewards and players were unable to turn their tickets in for rewards. An official forum post on June 12th, 2014 revealed that the bug will be fixed and rewards will be activated in the June 17th build. In addition and as compensation for the delay in rewards, all players that completed the WvW Spring Tournament 2014 Veteran meta-achievement will receive an additional 100 reward tickets regardless of World performance.

Go here for more details regarding rewards:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Spring_Tournament_2014

At the moment, we are between tournaments (seasons).

The next season should be in the September-October timeframe (according to speculation). It has not been announced yet.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

GavNation.4307

it seems you dont realy enjoy pvp, there is no point in wvw except running with your 20 buddys from your guild around , killing other zergs and feeling awesome about it , you must enjoy killing other player , showing that you are better then them

and if you dont want to zerg , try roaming and see how good you are at pvp , i love to roam with my ele/mes/thief and then having 1vs1 and killing other players , even more awesome when its a 1vs2 or 1vs3 and you kill all three of them , the feeling of being able to kill alone 3 other players is great

Actually I really enjoy PvP and yeah I will do my best to find a good WvW/PvP Guild.
ps: i just remembered about a guy that once told me on ts that he enjoys upgrading towers and filling them with siege and watching how the enemy zergs wipe before them….so basicly playing tower defense, maybe you like that too

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

I was wondering…Whats the point of WvW? I mean it seems entertaining and I was having fun while playing it but I don’t see myself playing for long periods of hours without some actual goals

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Don’t listen to anyone who says you have to play WvW a certain way to have fun.

It’ll take weeks and months to understand all the subtleties of the game.

There’s no point transferring servers until you understand the game better either. You can wait until you know what you want out of WvW before you even think about transferring servers.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

The goal of WvW is win the match and positioning your server in a ranking system.

That’s the point and goal. The problem is you didn’t like it. You prefer or need a personal reward. PvE is for that.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

The goal of WvW is win the match and positioning your server in a ranking system.

That may be the ‘technical’ goal but pity the person on a server that has no choice nor will ever be able to win a match-up.

For me, it is the challenge of playing against real people rather than programmed meta. I don’t get any kind of thrill in PVE .. maybe the first time when I still don’t know how the new boss will react to any given situation but in truth even that does not get my adrenaline going because I know that fairly quickly, someone will have worked it out and it all becomes mundane again.

Right back when I first started ‘PvP’ – when I played against others with Doom, Doom2, and then multiplayer Quake, it was all about the uncertainty .. how you can never assume or know what that other person is going to do.

It’s all about how you can play against the same person or group night after night, work out exactly what they will do, then 1 night, they can surprise you and turn the tables on you.

It’s about wiping those unbeatable odds, and getting your kitten handed to you; spending hours sitting in a fort to be rewarded nothing other than being able to call in your blob to wipe out the 5 man snipe squad that just smeared you in the Lord’s room.

There are no shinies.. there are no achievements.. there’s something much better. I can’t describe it .. but it brings me back inside everyday. God knows, I’m a sad, sad WvW gamer!

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Grok.6714

Grok.6714

What’s the point of PvE?
What’s the point of GW2 ?
What’s the point of a video game in general?

Entertainment.

If a particular type of entertainment does not cater to you, then you might look for some other options.

SFR Forum Warrior Academy

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

WvW is about fighting better, dancing with a melee train, and then dropping a meteornado on their head and watching em drop. You’re pitted against other players who are trying almost everything they can to stop you, and you need to use misdirection and tactical opportunity to your advantage.

It’s incredibly satisfying to take advantage of a distraction, like a fight inside SMC to swoop in and paper a fully fortified tower that the enemy server spent hours defending and upgrading, especially if you’re outnumbered or “outskilled” by your opponent.

I’ll bait enemy servers into killboxes, and I have the satisfaction of tricking 50 players into filling my bags.

WvW is a place to practice your synergy between your players in an open environment against organized groups. For me it has absolutely nothing to do with who wins or who looses, but a place to practice your weaknesses and capitalize on your strengths in any way possible.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Kitten – I had worded a lengthy reply to the OP, but the wonderful forums decided to make it vanish…

As I can’t be kittened to write all that out again I’ll keep it simple:

PvE – beautiful landscape, mindless/predictable repetitive AI mobs – learn a set pattern to beat them, get more efficient at executing that pattern. Nothing ever changes.

WvW – boring as kitten landscape, however fighting other human beings requires you to be flexible, adaptable and have the ability to improvise in any given situation. By this very nature you will never experience exactly the same situation twice – now compare that to pve mobs and dungeons.

PvP also offers this, however the nature of that conquest game mode requires you to prioritise the match objectives above all else. The large scale open field nature of wvw gives an illusion of freedom to mostly do whatever you like – so even though there is an overall server score, you can decide in what capacity you desire to fight for your server, whether large scale battles or small scale roaming, or even ignoring ppt altogether and duelling in the OS. The baseline for wvw is that you enjoy gw2 combat and you enjoy fighting against other players.

Edit: once you’ve achieved the gear stats and skins you desire, there’s little reason to grind for anything else – thus the entire of pve becomes redundant, apart from LS updates.

(edited by Curunen.8729)

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

been in the strong wvw guild and got bored of constant meaningless runs with hope to find some enemy zerg/guild on the map. acheiving absolutely nothing in the process. every day same crap over and over. i was missing that smth you fight for like castles, guild halls, territory etc. being noticed as a guild not as a whole server where since MS was introduced none gives a crap outside of wvw from which server u came from.
it was fun for a while but to those who played other games where ur clan/guild/ally had constant wars, sieges, fights for farm spots, ganking enemy etc., wvw will never satisfied their needs.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

That may be the ‘technical’ goal but pity the person on a server that has no choice nor will ever be able to win a match-up.

For me, it is the challenge of playing against real people rather than programmed meta. I don’t get any kind of thrill in PVE .. maybe the first time when I still don’t know how the new boss will react to any given situation but in truth even that does not get my adrenaline going because I know that fairly quickly, someone will have worked it out and it all becomes mundane again.

Right back when I first started ‘PvP’ – when I played against others with Doom, Doom2, and then multiplayer Quake, it was all about the uncertainty .. how you can never assume or know what that other person is going to do.

It’s all about how you can play against the same person or group night after night, work out exactly what they will do, then 1 night, they can surprise you and turn the tables on you.

It’s about wiping those unbeatable odds, and getting your kitten handed to you; spending hours sitting in a fort to be rewarded nothing other than being able to call in your blob to wipe out the 5 man snipe squad that just smeared you in the Lord’s room.

There are no shinies.. there are no achievements.. there’s something much better. I can’t describe it .. but it brings me back inside everyday. God knows, I’m a sad, sad WvW gamer!

No, that’s the goal. You can have a personal goal or a personal way to enjoy the mode as you want. I don’t enjoy too much the PPT system, i enjoy like you (good old times with doom too) But the goal is the PPT system, you can find another if you aren’t satisfied with that. The OP want an “Item reward” goal, and he will not find that in WvW.

Is like a sport. The rules and objectives are clear. You can have a personal goal, but the goal of the match or sport is clear, good or bad, like it or not.

The problem with personal goal is they will disappear when you lose the interest on it. Real goals will be still there even if you don’t want to do that.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

WvW is about fighting better, dancing with a melee train, and then dropping a meteornado on their head and watching em drop. You’re pitted against other players who are trying almost everything they can to stop you, and you need to use misdirection and tactical opportunity to your advantage.

It’s incredibly satisfying to take advantage of a distraction, like a fight inside SMC to swoop in and paper a fully fortified tower that the enemy server spent hours defending and upgrading, especially if you’re outnumbered or “outskilled” by your opponent.

I’ll bait enemy servers into killboxes, and I have the satisfaction of tricking 50 players into filling my bags.

WvW is a place to practice your synergy between your players in an open environment against organized groups. For me it has absolutely nothing to do with who wins or who looses, but a place to practice your weaknesses and capitalize on your strengths in any way possible.

ditto. learn a lot about yourself in the process. as a wise orgami sensi once told me, remember the journey.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I asked this same question several moonths ago and didn’t really get a response. There is no ‘point’ to WvW. It’s kind of player driven content. Some do it because of the people they play with. Others do it because of the sense of competetion between players.

But when all is said and done there’s really no point behind it and you’ll likely find WvW a deserted wasteland once another option comes along. It’s not like in other games where PvP has a direct impact on player progression or the economy. You are barely rewarded at all for your efforts.

It’s all for the lawls.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

I asked this same question several moonths ago and didn’t really get a response. There is no ‘point’ to WvW. It’s kind of player driven content. Some do it because of the people they play with. Others do it because of the sense of competetion between players.

But when all is said and done there’s really no point behind it and you’ll likely find WvW a deserted wasteland once another option comes along. It’s not like in other games where PvP has a direct impact on player progression or the economy. You are barely rewarded at all for your efforts.

It’s all for the lawls.

what is this lawls you speak of? i am old and decrepid – perhapse it is a derivative of lama face …

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

For the fun of it. Because there’s nothing else to do. For [censored] and giggles (shiggles).

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I think of it like super smash brothers. Everyone gets beat up and dies a lot, but everyone has fun either way. Also, everyone knows who’s the best. (And who chooses pit just to grab the smash ball and cheese it up lol)

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

They could make it all that more interesting by adding WvW specific armor/weapons/backpacks with a unique skin to be earned based on how high your rank is.A thing like this should take Really long to complete offcourse.But it would encourage people to keep on going,and set a goal for themselves knowing you Will be rewarded when you reach that certain rank.As of now,its all to random..and you have to make your own fun.I used to do it…but lately i just cant anymore..its to stale,too boring,same kitten different day and i cant be bothered doing it anymore.

There’s no more solo roaming,small scale stuff ( a thing i loved to be doing ),zergs are getting bitter and tactics have dissapeared.Its just zerg to this tower,throw 5 sup rams with as many people as possible and if it fails we go to another tower…Its mindless now opposed to how it used to was in the first year.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Tijgertje.7461

Tijgertje.7461

Well I would rather not pay 30 dollars just to transfer servers. And whats so bad about Blackgate?

Blackgate loves to stack their Server up.
Also reading your bottom note, you are a Ranger, which is one of the classes thats not very good for WvW right now

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Also reading your bottom note, you are a Ranger, which is one of the classes thats not very good for WvW right now

You are wrong. There are plenty of good rangers, and there are plenty of youtube videos to prove it. Not to mention the rather large buff they’ll be getting soon.

The “ranger lol” sentiment has been around for so long that when people get killed by a ranger with any amount of skill, oftentimes I hear my ranger friends complain that the person parties with them to let them know they’ve been reported for hacking.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

goldenwing.8473

All of NA T1 loves to stack their servers up.

/quote fixed

The main problem is for me I am unable to find any definitive goals like in PvE where its like “Spend 5 hours doing this to get this shiny thing”. Kind of like the PvP rewards.

@OP: have you tried EotM? The play/reward structure there may be a better fit.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The fun is good old fashioned in game murder. Everything else is a pretext to that.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: SamRothstein.4059

SamRothstein.4059

It would make more sense to me if I could see the mists on the map. I just don’t understand the idea of teleporting to some unknown zone.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

The OP raises a very interesting question, and one we’re all feeling the sting of as well. What is the motivation to enter WvW and fight to win? Why do it? Looking at things from a practical standpoint, the actual provided motivation is twofold. To advance your server’s ranking, and the PvE buffs if those even still exist. However…… server ranking is largely static, and the glicko system was never designed to be used the way it has been. So the actual provided motivation has largely been an illusion. Smoke and mirrors. And that problem trickles down to the entire rest of the game play. Why take that tower? Due to bad map design, just PPT. Why bother with PPT? To win the match. Why bother to win the match? To try to raise your Glicko rating. Why bother to raise your rating? To move up the ranks. Why bother to move up the ranks? To get to the top tier. Why bother to get to the top tier? To…… have a year of the same exact matchup. Why bother with that? Because there aren’t any games currently on the market that handle things any better. Why isn’t there any games that handle things any better? Because game developers are basically slaves to the money, and the money tends to be absolutely clueless and couldn’t care less about the quality of the product, as long as they get a good return on their investment.

Seasons was really the only actual motivation that WvW ever had. Sure, a couple of guilds could go down to the bottom tier and try to raise a sever up through the rankings, but…. why bother? There’s no carrot being dangled, there’s no brass ring to grab, there’s no trophy for 1st place.

So the only actual motivation comes from the players. You do it for your server community. You do it for your guild. You do it for personal improvement. You do it to kick back and relax for an evening. Unfortunately, that resulted in the situation that was going on before HoT came out. Where a good number of people weren’t sticking around for the game, and had actually grown pretty bored/fed up with the game itself, but were sticking around for their server, their guild, their own personal achievements, or simply because they didn’t have anything better to do. Then HoT came out, and severely escalated everyone’s frustrations with the game. Those who were on the fence, left. Those who had recently returned turned right back around and walked right back out. The game had reached a point where its level of failure had outgrown the motivation to stay for a lot of people. And the lackluster responses from Anet only furthered that downward slide. Which actually eroded the player created motivation, essentially turning the situation into a downward spiral.

So what’s the point of WvW? Unless you were 100% happy with WvW before, and have deep connections with either your server or your guild…… there really isn’t any, anymore. Anet hasn’t provided any, and has actually managed to do a good deal of damage to the player created motivations. Though there is actually one motivation, and it’s actually growing stronger. Morbid curiosity, to see just how much more damage Anet can do before things completely bottom out. Though a lot of people are just as easily watching this death spiral from the safety of other games.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Scolix.4879

Scolix.4879

To me the enjoyment comes from endless 24/7 battles and that the map is not claustrophobic one room boring clean battleground for me huge battlegrounds like wvw bring 120% more enjoyment than some boring arena type.

(edited by Scolix.4879)

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Noob.5908

Noob.5908

I have been a WvW fanatic since GW2 launch and the main reason I do WvW daily is the unpredictable nature of the environment. First thing I think of each day after waking is “I wonder what WvW is going to be like today”. Some days are more fun than others and lately the fun has been hard to find but the last patch has helped some and WvW is starting to pick back up again. NcSoft/Anet still has lots of work to fix WvW and supposedly they are working on it. Successful WvW is about people and if you’re not one that enjoys making friends and getting together with people you know and going out and killing people you hate(haha) then WvW isn’t going to be much fun for you. Many have said WvW needs more rewards and I agree with this, there are several ways to give players something to work towards in WvW and hopefully NcSoft/Anet is implementing some of these things in the new rework coming down the pipe. But honestly some of the most colorful personalities I have ever encountered have been from WvW and its these people that make me want to log in and go play WvW everyday. It’s just kittening fun running around besting the enemy and laughing about the stupid kitten you did and died because of it. I will say I’m a goal oriented type person also and when they implemented automatic upgrades to structures that took much of the fun out of WvW for me and I have been trying to adjust my attitude so I can still enjoy one of the best game modes ever created by the gaming industry.

Edit: year old thread oops, well I needed something to do while waking up and drinking my coffee /shrug

(edited by Noob.5908)

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

this thread was started a year ago… /facepalm

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

In PvE and in EtoM, one often plays with random players that might never see each other again.

Even guilds disappear.

Eternal battle ground and borderlands are places one could meet familiar faces first met many years ago.

I was always happy to see familiar commanders and players even after they changed their looks and with a different guild.

Fire Water Air
FA

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

Whats the point of WvW?

Fight’n.

If you need more reason, it’s not for you. I feel like GW2 PvE is pointless and dull, and that’s why it isn’t for me. Different strokes.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

how old was this thread again?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Well in the older days there was significant server pride on the line, but now with everyone changing servers looking for activity that has lessened.

Whats the point of WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

I’de find WvW a lot more enjoyable if it were more rewarding for the effort you put in, as it is, being in T1, you fight the same two servers week in and week out, fight the same zergs lead by the same pin, composed of the same guilds, ect. over and over. But I digress, WvW is enjoyable on the part of the “Challenge” as your fighting real people, opposed to mobs, ect. So beating someone, as opposed to something, is what many people enjoy.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix