Why Run a Thief?

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: raoul.4218

raoul.4218

I realize this post will leave me open for a tonne of flames but I had to ask! I played WOW for several years as a hunter and everyone in pvp hated rogues. The only class that could deal with them were hunters b/c of special trait to detect hidden. They were the weasels of WOW, and no one could stand them. When I got to GW2 thieves took over that role and I still couldn’t understand why ppl wanted to play them. As a ranger with a lb I come across as an easy gank in WvW, but b/c of my armor(PVT) most thieves end up running away when they can’t one shot me. I can never chase them down b/c they run away so quickly – which leaves me to wonder why would anyone want to play such a class? Your only chance at a kill is a cheap shot? I’ve never rolled a rogue or thief in either game so I cant comment on how it plays but from the view point of another class it simply seems like a class that excels in ….well you know!
I’m not the best at pvp but I’ve yet to come across a thief in WvW that will stick around to fight once they’ve tried to one shot me and failed. It’s spam stealth over and over until they are light years away and beyond 1500m lb range. Come on, we are both wearing medium armor! Plz stay and fight me and my loser Anet style pet until you kill me. I hate running after ppl….it’s bad enough warriors run away from rangers on a regular bases… ; )

Freyja Ernouf
lvl 80 Ranger
JQ

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

A thief can be forgiving short term so you will see that style of trying to gank someone pretty often. There is little to no risk for even a bad player to give it a shot. However, beware of the patient thieves that will wear you down and wait for a mistake, for they are a difficult fight.

Thieves are great at killing yaks, taking camps, and picking off enemy roamers or reinforcements. One thief can hold up quite a few players, maybe even kill a few of them. They certainly have their role.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Pavel.8531

Pavel.8531

There are 2 things stealth based thieves(99% of the thieves in WvW run stealth, even though there are some much nastier 0 stealth builds for 1v1/small scale combat) are best: 1 – Choosing where and when to pick a fight. 2 – Running away from a fight they can’t win(be it zerg or outskilled by enemy). People don’t like the 1st – being ganked while unaware/being killed 1v1(feels personal, unlike when a 30+ ppl zerg that rolls over you) and really hate the 2nd.
Also, thieves are the “noob test” class – they seem really unfair to fight against if you are a new/unexperienced/weak player.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

I run a thief beceause I hate you (yes, I am talking to you dear reader, specifically you) and I will jump on your corpse because I hate you, to be exact I hate everything about you but especially that bear…

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I run a thief beceause I hate you (yes, I am talking to you dear reader, specifically you) and I will jump on your corpse because I hate you, to be exact I hate everything about you but especially that bear…

Everyone hate bears, their OP!!!!

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Bazzoong.7145

Bazzoong.7145

Everyone hate bears, their OP!!!!

No they suck, fluffy cuddley monsters, ALL OF THEM.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

It is quite popular; the most forgiving toon when used in glass cannon next to warrior due to reseting fights effectivly, good access to evade, high mobility, stealth, teleports, unseen burst with no cooldown except revealed’s and because stealth itself can be traited and improved to grant 100% crit chance, condi removal, aoe blind, regen and increased movement. not all builds could combine that into a single build and still have crazy burst but boardland bloodlust, sigil stacks, consumables, guard buffs could compensate pretty well for that. unlike warriors who will outrun u and could see laughing at your petty attempts to chase them but at least u know they’re gone while a thief could leave you puzzled where they might have ran to, in which direction or if they even ran at all only for them to strike out of nowhere with the upper hand. D/P is the most popular and forgiving. it offers all the surviveability a thief needs built into the set. I personally dont mind them when they’r alone but if they got a partner then I’d just find an ally, npc or run away somewhere.

i used to run ele and ranger in wvw but those two are thief baits so i stopped. I once ate a 9k cloak and dagger+ sigil of fire proc+steal and my ele was downed even before the actual backstab could hit me. i have an easier time with mesmer warrior and engi. if you want to stand a chance against them run bunker ranger with apothecary but the good ones would just run away.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

^ you had absolutely zero toughness or vitality, and the thief was a full glass full signet build using signets of power. Aka pop all signets for might and try to oneshot. The whole thing is mitigated entirely by one dodge, even on the glassier character. This build also has no way to escape or flee since every utility is a signet. QQ harder

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Kaputsid.5169

Kaputsid.5169

Simple enough : pvers—­>thiefs—>warriors—>pvper

Very low risk / high reward, class was obvioulsy designed as a first step in pvp.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Why run a thief? I have no idea, ive encountered them, saw how broken stealth is / can be and not going to roll one myself cause of that.

Why Anet thought this could be a good idea, is beyond me.

Hitting thin air and hoping you hit a stealthie gets old really fast.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

It is quite popular; the most forgiving toon when used in glass cannon next to warrior due to reseting fights effectivly, good access to evade, high mobility, stealth, teleports, unseen burst with no cooldown except revealed’s and because stealth itself can be traited and improved to grant 100% crit chance, condi removal, aoe blind, regen and increased movement. not all builds could combine that into a single build and still have crazy burst but boardland bloodlust, sigil stacks, consumables, guard buffs could compensate pretty well for that. unlike warriors who will outrun u and could see laughing at your petty attempts to chase them but at least u know they’re gone while a thief could leave you puzzled where they might have ran to, in which direction or if they even ran at all only for them to strike out of nowhere with the upper hand. D/P is the most popular and forgiving. it offers all the surviveability a thief needs built into the set. I personally dont mind them when they’r alone but if they got a partner then I’d just find an ally, npc or run away somewhere.

i used to run ele and ranger in wvw but those two are thief baits so i stopped. I once ate a 9k cloak and dagger+ sigil of fire proc+steal and my ele was downed even before the actual backstab could hit me. i have an easier time with mesmer warrior and engi. if you want to stand a chance against them run bunker ranger with apothecary but the good ones would just run away.

You really have no clue on how thieves work. Typical post of WvW baddies who don’t know anything about the game and still write WoT to try looking cool and experienced.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Most of you figure thieves require no skill. I’ve played every class but ele, and I choose thief in every situation WvW and PvE. Yes, I have a warrior that can steam roll, but that’s not fun. The mechanics of thief is very fun. Also, many of you have posted thief is an easy class. This is stigma that we need to get out of. Thief is very difficult to be good with in WvW. If you fight a bad/noob thief, you’ll know because they will maybe get an opening Backstab in, but usually they will miss all of their major skills. The current WvW outlook on thieves is just plain wrong. The reason I picked a thief is that they are fun, but only once you have gotten to be good.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Eloquence.5207

Eloquence.5207

You really have no clue on how thieves work. Typical post of WvW baddies who don’t know anything about the game and still write WoT to try looking cool and experienced.

You must be a beacon of credibility with all that 1337 toons and a group of buttbuddies.

“L2P” according to pr0 Thieves
http://youtu.be/k0YDuSLXcX8?t=3m16s
See, Blinding Powder is nothing.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

hihey.1075

You must be a beacon of credibility with all that 1337 toons and a group of buttbuddies.

Definitely more than you, if this is what you wanted to know with your post.
Have a nice day.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

Thief has a jail out card ready all time. When things go south stealth and you are out of trouble. Never seen a class in any game where you have almost no risk but all rewards.

Have a nice day

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

There are about 3-4 builds that are incredibly frustrating to play against and thieves have ONE of them. IMO, I would rather roll up on a thief any day than a speed warrior or a decently played PU mesmer. At least with the thief I know I have a solid chance of winning that fight. Speed warriors can hang in a fight for a long time, then burst away. Mesmers can be flat out dangerous and extremely slippery.

PU Mesmers are insanely hard to beat when played really well. They are challenging in a decent players hands. I had a 15 minute duel with one in our BL N camp this weekend with the camp on my side. Every player that came to help, got annihilated by conditions. I finally gave up and left because the wife called me away.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Somebody could post video how to kill decent perma stealth thief who doesn’t even try to fight back. I sometimes manage kill these noob thiefs who wear berserker, but pros use some full PVT and doesn’t take kitten dmg. Sometimes i land hammer stun like 10 times and they still flee same way every time.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

hihey.1075

Somebody could post video how to kill decent perma stealth thief who doesn’t even try to fight back. I sometimes manage kill these noob thiefs who wear berserker, but pros use some full PVT and doesn’t take kitten dmg. Sometimes i land hammer stun like 10 times and they still flee same way every time.

Tell me the name of the class you want to see kill a D/P thief. I can currently manage to do it with:
-Thief
-Engineer
-Necro
-Mesmer
-Ranger
-(Warrior still learning)
Also, there are no “pros” in this game. There are good players and bad players. I agree that good players mix some PVT in their sets when they roam in D/P. But saying that “they take kitten dmg” is hilarious. They take A LOT of damage, the only reason for a roamer D/P to take some PVT is to avoid being instagibbed by other thieves.
Lastly, if you want to KILL someone, you need to have the spec to do it. If you are not equipped with a build able to beat a D/P, don’t complain that you are losing.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Well, I see that you’re on JQ right now. Do you run in EB? If so, you’ve probably run into my spry little Asuran BG thief. I think I remember who you are, but I don’t see a guild name on your signature, so I can’t be sure. Anywho, I’m going to assume it’s the ranger I ran into a bunch of times with the [BANK] tag.

I play a thief for three reasons.

1. The mobility is awesome. After playing for the first 6 months as a ranger (right before they upped the signet run speed from 10%), I started my thief (Tired of OP) and fell in love with the mobility. I don’t zerg often, so being able to get away is paramount to me enjoying the game.

I want to make a difference to our side. So I kill yaks and flip JQ camps. Alot.

I love a challenge with poor odds. Because of #2, I’m usually solo, outnumbered, and in enemy territory. Surviving in that is thrilling. I try not to run away in a 1v1, but there’s an occasional warrior who just regen like mofos and I can’t poison them enough to make a dent. When I run away from you, it’s usually because it’s a 3 or 4 on 1 and I just can’t get behind those odds with the downed system in GW2.

I try not to play in a way that is super-annoying. I’m not permainvis. I don’t use black powder. I’m straight up d/d + SB. My intention is to be slippery. If I have frustrated you, I do apologize. Maybe we can try to have a chat and work out an even/odd day schedule where I won’t harass your camps.

If you’d like to go mano a mano, I’d love to work that out too. Just not 6 of you at once. Although I do feel like a tour guide sometimes, what with all the loops around Golanta and Rogues Quarry with a gaggle of JQ behind me….

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Adula.3698

Adula.3698

Dear Anet, Please nerf Rock. Feel free to leave paper alone, he’s fine the way he is.

Your Buddy,
Scissors.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Most of you figure thieves require no skill. I’ve played every class but ele, and I choose thief in every situation WvW and PvE. Yes, I have a warrior that can steam roll, but that’s not fun. The mechanics of thief is very fun. Also, many of you have posted thief is an easy class. This is stigma that we need to get out of. Thief is very difficult to be good with in WvW. If you fight a bad/noob thief, you’ll know because they will maybe get an opening Backstab in, but usually they will miss all of their major skills. The current WvW outlook on thieves is just plain wrong. The reason I picked a thief is that they are fun, but only once you have gotten to be good.

let me show you the difference between a warrior that knows how to play and a warrior that is rolling his face over the keyboard with a copy/paste hambow build..Anytime buddy.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

It takes a certain mentality to play a thief.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Thieves struggle with conditions and control. They have one solid stun breaker on their bar usually so catching them with control is essential. If you run a condition heavy build you know exactly how easy it is to kill a thief. Thieves can shake off about 5 condition stacks and then they have to wait 2-3 seconds to get rid of another.

Last thing of note about thieves… they are almost exclusively direct damage and D/P lacks sustained damage output. If you can survive their burst, they simple become annoying. This is the reason D/P does VERY poorly in duels. Good D/D thieves can be extremely dangerous because they have burst and sustained damage output. They are managed by using dodges, blocks, pulls, etc. Timing is everything on D/D and a missed CnD is a killer.

Keep in mind as a warrior, you are an easy counter if you run the usual GS/Hammer build. They might not be able to kill you but killing a decent thief is a challenge and requires knowing the thief timing cold.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Why roll a thief? It’s the perfect thing for trolls and griefers to play with in WvW, second only to groups of 3-5 killing roamers and Moa Morph. They play it just to frustrate anyone they think they can kill.

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

Tell me the name of the class you want to see kill a D/P thief. I can currently manage to do it with:
-Thief
-Engineer
-Necro
-Mesmer
-Ranger
-(Warrior still learning)
Also, there are no “pros” in this game. There are good players and bad players. I agree that good players mix some PVT in their sets when they roam in D/P. But saying that “they take kitten dmg” is hilarious. They take A LOT of damage, the only reason for a roamer D/P to take some PVT is to avoid being instagibbed by other thieves.
Lastly, if you want to KILL someone, you need to have the spec to do it. If you are not equipped with a build able to beat a D/P, don’t complain that you are losing.

Hi hihey,
I take ’em all.
I have beaten Thiefs with every class but they all sucked. A decent Thief always wins or gets away.

Greezzz

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

A decent Thief always wins or gets away.

Greezzz

Indeed, this is a major reason I love the thief. Unless I’m up against a PU mesmer (occasionally) or condition necro/engineer – or you blasted tanky has hell warriors – I can make a conscious decision about a retreat or do I balls to the walls it and enjoy a good death.

I don’t always retreat

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

The problem is and will be the same, no skill players get killed very bad by a X profession and come here and create QQ topics.

Not only thieves, they complain about everything . . .

Attachments:

Why Run a Thief?

in WvW

hihey.1075

The problem is and will be the same, no skill players get killed very bad by a X profession and come here and create QQ topics.

Not only thieves, they complain about everything . . .

Wow! You made my day with that pic

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU