Why so many changes to everything BUT wvw?

in WvW

Posted by: Neeho.3859

Neeho.3859

PvE patches every 2 weeks, some with pvp content.
Constant PvP changes, new maps, new lobby, constant ability/class balancing for pvp, tournaments, etc.

Meanwhile, a year later tower and keep takes are finally group events, and we get a new “mastery” ability every 2-3 patches from a list that someone designed 6 months ago. Wvw population constantly dwarfs pvp population yet we get crap. Where’s the love?

“It’s coming” is no longer a valid answer, because frankly that’s a load of crap.

Ho/Neeho/Zorho/Hodown/Ephodemic
[SoCo] Solum Contego SoCo loco style!
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Skeletor.9360

Skeletor.9360

I agree its completely unacceptable when so many people play WvW and to improve that aspect of the game they need to insert 2 or 3 lines of code. That fix being the balancing of numbers roughly. Does anyone like 50 vs. 1.

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People need to understand that developing stuff for WvW is most likely takes much more time and work than PvE stuff.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Skeletor.9360

Skeletor.9360

People need to understand that developing stuff for WvW is most likely takes much more time and work than PvE stuff.

LOL…that is not true! A check to balance the numbers is literally only 3 lines of code.

Please don’t support bad behavior.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

LOL…that is not true! A check to balance the numbers is literally only 3 lines of code.

Might I ask how much development experience you have?
Based on your response I would assume very little to none.

WvW and PvE is completely different and require completely different things when it comes to development. In PvE they only need to take mobs into consideration, whilst in WvW there are also other players and such.
There is also a ranking and point-system that might risk getting broken with patches and so on.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

You’re an incorrigible shill …

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

What? Arenanet doesn’t like wvw players? But they give us support tokens!

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in WvW

Posted by: Convenant.7092

Convenant.7092

Might I ask how much development experience you have?
Based on your response I would assume very little to none.

WvW and PvE is completely different and require completely different things when it comes to development. In PvE they only need to take mobs into consideration, whilst in WvW there are also other players and such.
There is also a ranking and point-system that might risk getting broken with patches and so on.

You really have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve had years of experience developping games and trust me, the kind of PVE content they make is quite some programmin, more-so than simply changing colors for commander icon in WvW.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

You really have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve had years of experience developping games and trust me, the kind of PVE content they make is quite some programmin, more-so than simply changing colors for commander icon in WvW.

Of course.
But people aren’t talking about changing colors for commander icons (and if it was implemented it would probably be considered even worse than the masteries) they want grand changes such as new maps and stuff like that.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

Of course.
But people aren’t talking about changing colors for commander icons (and if it was implemented it would probably be considered even worse than the masteries) they want grand changes such as new maps and stuff like that.

New maps will be difficult as they would have to code in not only the structures but build locations, destructible walls, gates as well, etc. etc. Not to mention all the new bugs it would introduce, as an example back in the early months of release there were known bugs of players climbing up wall structures, haha. There is a bug now of where people auto port to the inside of structure … (not sure if last patch finally resolved said issue) but it was ongoing for weeks where you would literally be beating on the door and find yourself inside, lol.

Original maps of WvW will most likely stay, if any changes happen it will be via new battle zones aka future expansion.

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

New maps take a long time to be built. And even once they are built it takes a long time to get them tested until they are ready to be released. Rest assured, as soon as we can release new maps, we will. And, while it isn’t an entirely new map, you can look forward to some changes to the borderlands soon. Let’s just say you should get your krait killing in now.

in WvW

Posted by: LotuS.4378

LotuS.4378

New maps take a long time to be built. And even once they are built it takes a long time to get them tested until they are ready to be released. Rest assured, as soon as we can release new maps, we will. And, while it isn’t an entirely new map, you can look forward to some changes to the borderlands soon. Let’s just say you should get your krait killing in now.

Its like always. “takes time”, “test” or “soon”.

its getting bored. What will you do soon? Remove mobs from borders? Great changes!

[INC] Incendies
http://incendies-guild.tk/

(edited by LotuS.4378)

in WvW

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Get your krait killing in + changes —→ removing a big part of the water?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Get your krait killing in + changes —-> removing a big part of the water?

Yea, sounds good to me.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in WvW

Posted by: Slomo.1029

Slomo.1029

And, while it isn’t an entirely new map, you can look forward to some changes to the borderlands soon. Let’s just say you should get your krait killing in now.

Should have been there ~6 months ago. Basicly just confirming again that there will be “some changes” to the middle area of the borderlands.
Still we dont know anything specific.

Next patch: Trap mastery!

~ Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

we want pve in wvw ?

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

we want pve in wvw ?

bah why not??

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

And, while it isn’t an entirely new map, you can look forward to some changes to the borderlands soon. Let’s just say you should get your krait killing in now.

WvW updates
We feel that Krait have acquired too much of a negative image due to their lack of a player-friendly faction till now, so we switched it up a bit and instead of collecting pearls for Quaggans, you collect Quaggans for Krait now.

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

@Jamais vu you sir, just made my day.

I think that they will go Orb way. They will just delete kraits from WvW and there will be left big water space. Similar to places of power.

in WvW

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

Next

As with everything, I’d love to give dates, but until everything is 100% ready to go, I can’t. Suffice to say they will be in as soon as humanly possible.

in WvW

Posted by: Slomo.1029

Slomo.1029

Why do you always think dates are the most important thing? Details would be nice. At least some.
Knowing if you put something new there or just make it a simple flat surface? Stuff like that could be interesting. Not the release dates.

~ Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: ManaCraft.5630

ManaCraft.5630

I’d forget about it if I were you. While this remains an assumption on my part, it is still my firm belief that when A.Net first designed this game, they looked at WvW as a game mode that could, by and large, take care of itself and would need little to no maintenance. At the time, it seems the same attitude prevailed towards the PvE environment, which – as PvE gamers familiar with that period will tell you – was badly in need of endgame content. The clear focus, and somewhat singleminded goal, of A.Net is, and has always been, the development of the sPvP/tPvP format as an e-sport.

Since then we’ve seen the development of the living world concept for PvE and tons upon tons of new content introduced for that particular game mode. The e-sports aspect of sPvP/tPvP is slowly but steadily on track, now featuring tournaments with major cash prises, more maps, a solo queue with separate rankings, and so on. And WvW has gotten … well, what exactly? Apart from ranks that obviously lack proper playtesting and a WxP system that has skewed the balance even more towards zerging, we haven’t really seen much of anything. We’ve “gained” the removal of orbs, the ability to actually purchase gear with more than one stat combination for the currency we earn, and we waited for months on end for (sub-par) access to ascended trinkets.

But that’s not the real concern here. What I think is more troubling is that while PvE has its living world concept, and sPvP/tPvP is headed for e-sports, it seems that no such overall roadmap exists for WvW. After a full year, A.Net still seems to have no idea where they are headed with the format. WvW is still considered a format that can simply subsist with no improvements to speak of. Which is precisely why responses like this:

accomplish little more than making it seem like we’re talking to someone who’s not really listening. Most WvW players have a pretty good idea what the format needs at this point. We need better tools to run non-zerg sized groups, more incentives to defend (and rewards for upgrading) structures, restrictions on waypointing, a handicap system of some sort to combat imbalances in server population, skins and other rewards that are unique to WvW – and most of all, we need new maps. These problems have been accounted for many times already in various threads and should come as no surprise to anyone with even the slightest amount of experience in WvW.

And you come at us with … replacing the krait?

(edited by ManaCraft.5630)

in WvW

Marcus Greythorne.6843

because people will be disappointed if they tell us about this cool feature which later gets taken out because it doesn’t work as intended.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in WvW

Marcus Greythorne.6843

And you come at us with … replacing the krait?

the way I understood it he meant that we will get our krait killing achievement much easier because there is something that makes us want to visit the center of the map much more. (there are many Krait around there) I guess the replacement for the orb mechanic.

in WvW

Posted by: Cosmic Sparklejunk.3514

Cosmic Sparklejunk.3514

because people will be disappointed if they tell us about this cool feature which later gets taken out because it doesn’t work as intended.

Or many will relentlessly neg the proposed feature without waiting to see how it’s implemented and giving it a shot.

in WvW

Posted by: Chiolas.1326

Chiolas.1326

Knowing if you put something new there or just make it a simple flat surface? Stuff like that could be interesting. Not the release dates.

He’s right Devon, we waited for so many years for GW2 to be ready, sure some complained but in the end we prefered to have it decent than rushed like many games

Quit WvW and Gw2 in August 2013

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

Get your krait killing in + changes —-> removing a big part of the water?

Halleluiah! Please let it be so, one of the great ideas that has been swung around on these forums since beta was for some drought to strike and dry that dang lake up.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Previous

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

This would be the main reason. Also, until things are actually completed, they are likely/liable to change. Rather than getting everyone up in a lather about things that aren’t ever going to be in the game, we keep a tight wrap on details until they are ready for release. With our release schedule, that actually tends to be pretty close to when you all see them in game, so we don’t talk about details until that point.

in WvW

Posted by: Profanity.8016

Profanity.8016

Let’s just say you should get your krait killing in now.

Oh god…. I’ve seen that wink before… Don’t fall for it guys…

The Karka are coming to WvW!!!!!!!!

in WvW

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

WvW updates
We feel that Krait have acquired too much of a negative image due to their lack of a player-friendly faction till now, so we switched it up a bit and instead of collecting pearls for Quaggans, you collect Quaggans for Krait now.

best change ever

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

Let’s just say you should get your krait killing in now.

Oh god…. I’ve seen that wink before… Don’t fall for it guys…

The Karka are coming to WvW!!!!!!!!

The champions in all the keeps/towers will become champion karka :P

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Ever since the embarrassment of having to drop an enormous amount of features and content they talked about pre-launch to make the release deadline, ArenaNet have had a pathological fear of talking about un-released content.

The thing that they have yet to realize, is that players hate not knowing where the game is heading, and that problems and issues are to being worked on. It destroys any confidence they have in the game’s future and the competence of the Dev team.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Make one borderland a swamp, make one a desert, make another a jungle.

in WvW

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

PvP Gauntlet Arenas where you bet badges sprinkled into the wvw maps, make it happen Anet.

in WvW

Posted by: Dystopiq.5218

Dystopiq.5218

An entire map solely for naval combat. I would love to see this in the future.

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

naval combat needs serious polish

you do not want this until they revamp it

in WvW

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Very true. To start they could give us 2 running specs, one for land, 1 for water, just like our utility skills.

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

Very true. To start they could give us 2 running specs, one for land, 1 for water, just like our utility skills.

the list is practically endless:

-surfacing
-dodging
-weapon selection
-inaccessible utilities
-aoe/“ground” targeting
-slow projectiles + moving target = out of range unless you are nearly meleeing
-melee range in a fully 3d environment
-camera angles
-helmets

water combat is basically in an alpha state, unplayable in pvp and barely passable in pve (because npc ai is predictable enough to be worked around). i wouldnt mind having a spec upon entering water, but they really need to fix basic gameplay before they can even think about something as superficial as separate specs.

the only thing i like about it personally is that grenades have a real autoattack.

its almost easier to just remove it from pvp.

in WvW

Posted by: Dranul.2094

Dranul.2094

Hey Damon Carver, while I’ve known of the rework of the orb concept and the central lake change for awhile could you please please please have it so that it’s guild/combat friendly. Not more bonus for just running as a skill less, lag inducing 100 man blobs (yes they exist and yes plenty of servers do this as they can’t fight).

For a start, with no idea what the terrain will look like, can you look at penalising running in such blobs, like reduce the wxp/karma when attacking empty things or when you attack things with 4x as many ppl as there are defenders. Reward the defenders reward being out manned. Penalise the skill less, mind less zerglings. As they only run around for their precious karma and WXP.

It is wrong that WvW guilds with 10x or more kills than zerglings are penalised by these zerglings having double or triple the WXP rank and thus bonuses to their blobby ways, instant build ACs etc.

The game needs to be more about fighting, less about PVD, upgrades on objectives could do with a look at. Scale the door HP to number of attackers. Penalise poor brain dead play.

Dranul – Guild Leader – The Unlikely Plan [TUP]
Aurora Glade EU
http://theunlikelyplangw2.guildlaunch.com

in WvW

Posted by: Neeho.3859

Neeho.3859

How about starting with the Commander fixes that everyone’s been screaming about for 9 months? Fix /squad?

Enemies porting in to a keep under attack when the repel enemy invaders timer is up?

Make outmanned actually useful. PvE bonuses are not useful in WvW. How about upgraded guards, faster upgrades on camps/towers/keeps, ability to carry more supply when outmanned?

Get rid of the transfer fee for the 3 lowest servers to promote more parity in WvW numbers?

Either make PvP and WvW completely separate entities for abilities sake, or stop changing abilities for pvp when more people use them in wvw.

Instead of trap mastery, how about give us something someone gives a crap about. Supply mastery? Really?

It’s completely obvious that for some reason you guys are focused on sPvP, but it doesn’t make sense since wvw is where the people are. If you continue to make sPvp the focus, you will continue to lose players in wvw. How long would that new map really take if you had the people working on wvw that are currently working on your esport promotions?

Ho/Neeho/Zorho/Hodown/Ephodemic
[SoCo] Solum Contego SoCo loco style!
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

You know what would go a long way of making playing in an organized manner (and thus reducing the incentive for zerging up) a lot easier?
Being able to call multiple targets at once. Doesn´t matter if it´s for squad, party or just yourself, it would make worlds of difference

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in WvW

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

WvW just needs some fixing bugs (old gate bug still there), dispersing blob, limiting siege war, and resolving skill lag. (the list can go on, start from commander thing, defender reward, etc).

WvW does not need a new map which will introduce more bug. (if you want make BL map feels different, just change the theme. Green: spring map (anywhere is green + grey), blue: desert map (a bit green but lot of brown terrain), red: winter (tundra theme).
WvW does not need a new content which introduce new bug.

(edited by deviller.9135)

in WvW

Posted by: DanyK.3842

DanyK.3842

Make doors take no damage from player attacks just like walls… sorry ECL.

Sir Dany | Twitch
110k WvW kills | Champion Legionnaire, Paragon |

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

This would be the main reason. Also, until things are actually completed, they are likely/liable to change. Rather than getting everyone up in a lather about things that aren’t ever going to be in the game, we keep a tight wrap on details until they are ready for release. With our release schedule, that actually tends to be pretty close to when you all see them in game, so we don’t talk about details until that point.

Bunch of kitten. Sure specifics might change, but that does not mean you cannot talk about the overall plan and what you are trying to accomplish. This is just an excuse to continually post vague comments that mean nothing.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

This is just an excuse to continually post vague comments that mean nothing.

Yes, and he totally does that for itself. He’s a malicious little imp who feeds on the lamentations of WvWers, obviously.

in WvW

Posted by: Fenlok.3529

Fenlok.3529

Hey Damon Carver, while I’ve known of the rework of the orb concept and the central lake change for awhile could you please please please have it so that it’s guild/combat friendly. Not more bonus for just running as a skill less, lag inducing 100 man blobs (yes they exist and yes plenty of servers do this as they can’t fight).

For a start, with no idea what the terrain will look like, can you look at penalising running in such blobs, like reduce the wxp/karma when attacking empty things or when you attack things with 4x as many ppl as there are defenders. Reward the defenders reward being out manned. Penalise the skill less, mind less zerglings. As they only run around for their precious karma and WXP.

It is wrong that WvW guilds with 10x or more kills than zerglings are penalised by these zerglings having double or triple the WXP rank and thus bonuses to their blobby ways, instant build ACs etc.

The game needs to be more about fighting, less about PVD, upgrades on objectives could do with a look at. Scale the door HP to number of attackers. Penalise poor brain dead play.

Totally agree!
Couldn’t describe it any better.

Btw. met you guys on the battlefield yesterday.^^ Keep up the small scale fun!

in WvW

Posted by: Angu.3021

Angu.3021

Wait what, so new minor WvW content and changes takes 3-6 months to make and balance while there is PvE patch every 2 weeks with new maps, recepies, features, items, npcs and 100 other things. Im not really into dev hating but just how stupid do you think we are? Atleast be honest and say you dont create content for WvW because you dont get revenues from this.

in WvW

lordkrall.7241

Wait what, so new minor WvW content and changes takes 3-6 months to make and balance while there is PvE patch every 2 weeks with new maps, recepies, features, items, npcs and 100 other things. Im not really into dev hating but just how stupid do you think we are? Atleast be honest and say you dont create content for WvW because you dont get revenues from this.

But it IS much harder to make and balance content that has to do with PvP actions, since if something is imbalanced or exploitable it would hurt the game and player way more than if something like that turns up in PvE.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

insanemaniac.2456

But it IS much harder to make and balance content that has to do with PvP actions, since if something is imbalanced or exploitable it would hurt the game and player way more than if something like that turns up in PvE.

and yet MOBAs release new content (playable heroes, items) like all the time and just take imbalances in stride without hurting the game for more than a patch cycle or 2

so they release something OP? so what? next patch cycle can take care of it. being afraid to make content is just silly.

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

Any changes are great, but I really feel that existing systems need to be addressed before adding NEW content.

- Upgrade the Commander and Squad system. Flexible social grouping in GW2 should be a PRIORITY. The commander and squad system needs to be flexible enough to be used for Public or Private/Guild forces. We are unable to group the way we enjoy with only two ways to group in game for GW2. A 5 person group or Zerg are not enough options for players to coordinate.

- Fix the UI group options in WvW. We need the same working “right-click” options in WvW that we have in any other PvE zone. Reforming groups because we can’t remove offline players and typing player invites during WvW combat are frustrating.

That should be addressed before adding new content and Wxp ranks….

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry